Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Better solution if it's Trebek's "fault" for not properly coddling these overly-sensitive egos: Stop doing Kids Week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Stage moms strike again. I'm glad he didn't end up quitting and leaving them high and dry.

Let's talk Trebek replacements, since he's expected to retire when his current contract expires. While I'd love Ken Jennings, it's probably not realistic. I saw Anderson Cooper's name get thrown awhile ago. He'd have the same sort of gravitas.

Just please not Matt Lauer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The obvious answer is Watson.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Does anybody know if they actually re-taped it? The video of what he said seemed completely innocuous.

I do think it's kind of disappointing that they don't bring out the kid and her parents for the credits roll to stand and talk with Trebek. There's no point in leaving her out of that moment, even though it's standard Jeopardy protocol. But I guess if she was crying backstage she probably wouldn't want to come out anyway.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The video that they aired sounded like what the article said originally happened, so I doubt they did retape it, or if they did I don't think they aired it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I seem to remember that in the intro to the episode after that one, Alex said something about how we've seen that the young contestants can have emotions run high or something like that. Maybe that's what he meant about retaping the intro.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

wa27 posted:

Does anybody know if they actually re-taped it? The video of what he said seemed completely innocuous.

I do think it's kind of disappointing that they don't bring out the kid and her parents for the credits roll to stand and talk with Trebek. There's no point in leaving her out of that moment, even though it's standard Jeopardy protocol. But I guess if she was crying backstage she probably wouldn't want to come out anyway.

The point is that they usually do, even when the contestant doesn't make it to Final. The kid wasn't out there because she was having a tough time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I seem to remember that in the intro to the episode after that one, Alex said something about how we've seen that the young contestants can have emotions run high or something like that. Maybe that's what he meant about retaping the intro.

Oh yeah, that makes way more sense now and explains why they were saying "intro" in the emails. The article just misinterpreted it.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
What was the answer to that last Daily Double? I'm pretty sure it was cosmology, but my dogs wouldn't shut up and I missed what Alex said.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
How the gently caress did no one get the final tonight? It was a no-brainer if I've ever seen one.

^ yeah it was cosmology.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

How could all three contestants not get that final jeopardy? :wtc:

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Dr Zaius posted:

How the gently caress did no one get the final tonight? It was a no-brainer if I've ever seen one.

^ yeah it was cosmology.

Thanks.

And yeah, how do you screw that FJ up?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I didn't get it...of course I realized it as soon as Trebek talked about it getting a lot of play soon.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I knew what it was, but I couldn't remember the name (I don't watch a lot of Christmas movies).

I was like "What is that movie about the suicidal dude and the angel who gets his wings...?"

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Colonial Air Force posted:

I knew what it was, but I couldn't remember the name (I don't watch a lot of Christmas movies).

I was like "What is that movie about the suicidal dude and the angel who gets his wings...?"

It would really suck if you were on the show and that happened

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I mean I got it because it was on TV last week so it was fresh in my brain. But I don't know how long ago this was filmed. My mind doesn't normally jump to Christmas movies outside of December.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Clearly the correct answer to a question about "20th century sculptures" is a memorial for an event that happened in 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MisterZimbu posted:

Clearly the correct answer to a question about "20th century sculptures" is a memorial for an event that happened in 2001

Yeah that was a pretty funny one. I also guessed it was the Vietnam memorial.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I mean I got it because it was on TV last week so it was fresh in my brain. But I don't know how long ago this was filmed. My mind doesn't normally jump to Christmas movies outside of December.

Knowing their schedule, probably back in September or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

uublog posted:

It would really suck if you were on the show and that happened

Yeah, but fortunately the online tests are 10x harder than the show, and always ask questions on subjects I know nothing about, so I'll never be on the show.

:smith:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah, but fortunately the online tests are 10x harder than the show, and always ask questions on subjects I know nothing about, so I'll never be on the show.

:smith:

Haha fair, but I meant knowing what the FJ is but the name/word being on the tip of your tongue. I don't think they'd accept "what is the one where Jimmy Stewart *almost* dies and then sees the world without him?"

In fairness to the contestants, I'd have been confused as poo poo if, in a September taping, Trebek goes "you might see this movie on TV a lot this time of year!" and then says that the correct response was It's a Wonderful Life. I mean basically the entire reason I knew it was because it was just on TV the other day.

uublog fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 20, 2014

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was requiring "deposit interest rate" super nitpicky or am I getting soft?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Was requiring "deposit interest rate" super nitpicky or am I getting soft?

I thought the same thing. Had it not been for that, I would have ran that category.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

A Broadway producer struggles to stage a show until a homeless man claiming to be Santa Claus appears and teaches her to believe in humanity again: "Miracle on 42nd Street"

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Flat-topped rock formations in the southwest = gold

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

FJs are all over the place with difficulty this week. Went 1/5 last week but got the first 2 instantly so far this week.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
"Judo studio" was bullshit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

zakharov posted:

FJs are all over the place with difficulty this week. Went 1/5 last week but got the first 2 instantly so far this week.

Last night's was so easy I was doubting myself, because how could it be that easy?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was so angry at the contestants two days ago who couldn't get "The Fellowship of the Ring" as the book with the chapter "The Breaking of the Fellowship". If only there was a way all three of them could have lost :colbert:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

HookShot posted:

I was so angry at the contestants two days ago who couldn't get "The Fellowship of the Ring" as the book with the chapter "The Breaking of the Fellowship". If only there was a way all three of them could have lost :colbert:

This made me think, does anyone know what happens if all 3 are in the red at FJ? It would be hilarious if nobody won and they couldn't do FJ.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

ElMudo posted:

This made me think, does anyone know what happens if all 3 are in the red at FJ? It would be hilarious if nobody won and they couldn't do FJ.

This has apparently happened once in the original Art Fleming hosted version of the show. They just didn't play FJ for that one.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
Today's FJ was terrible. Could it have been any more of a gimme?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Wasn't Trebek supposed to have retired by now?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

apathetic JAP posted:

Today's FJ was terrible. Could it have been any more of a gimme?

Yesterday's was embarrassingly simple, too.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Yesterday's was embarrassingly simple, too.

My DVR ate yesterday's. What was it? Do I even want to know?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

apathetic JAP posted:

My DVR ate yesterday's. What was it? Do I even want to know?

This TV show's opening credits is a bunch of mug shots of actual female prisoners.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wasn't Trebek supposed to have retired by now?

He might be gone after this year.

5/5 in finals this week!!

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

jscolon2.0 posted:

This TV show's opening credits is a bunch of mug shots of actual female prisoners.

:doh:

Did anyone get it wrong?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Isn't it time for tryouts soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
God the three people tonight were idiots.

I like Trebek explaining to them like five year olds where the west side of South America is.