Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

you're not my real dad

R. Mute isn't able to hide his agenda even when he had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Sure they made it for money, but your implication was that they made it by being racist and stereotypical towards North Koreans. It's clearly not the case.

IT'S HOLLYWOOD VOLKERBALL, THEY DON'T HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT TO BE RACIST

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

i bet north koreans would love rob schneider movies

Americans say they would eat grass before watching a Rob Schneider movie but the joke's on them, glorious best Korea theater gives you an entire bag of grass with ticket purchase.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

Because it was pretty popular among Palestinians and Israeli's.

That's news to me. Is that the one where Adam Sandler is a Mossad Agent?

quote:

And I wasn't expecting "optimized propaganda." Just accuracy and a good overall message. Sounds like the latter was achieved, but not the former.

Why? The target audience was mostly Americans. Why bother with accuracy when dick jokes are easier and likelier to be received well by the target demographic for a Franco-Rogan joint?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

R. Mute isn't able to hide his agenda even when he had one.
why would i hide my agenda

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why? The target audience was mostly Americans. Why bother with accuracy when dick jokes are easier and likelier to be received well by the target demographic for a Franco-Rogan joint?

Absurd Alhazred, there's a reason why comedies aren't getting greenlit any more, and its foreign audiences. Find me enough jokes which play in America and at oversea markets that aren't rooted in low humor, and I'll find you a producer's #.

syscall girl posted:

Americans say they would eat grass before watching a Rob Schneider movie but the joke's on them, glorious best Korea theater gives you an entire bag of grass with ticket purchase.

In decadent America, children eat grass when in presence of Hollywood celebrities.

In Glorious Korea, grass eats children.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah. It was all over in Palestinian shops, and I've heard people loved it the cheesy humor in it. Israeli's got a kick out of him using hummus for everything.

quote:

"Expecting" was a bad way to phrase it, but it would've been nice if they did.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pictured: Confirmed Ponytail veteran Absurd Alhazred sharing his opinions on arts and aesthetics with the chatthread.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Yeah. It was all over in Palestinian shops, and I've heard people loved it the cheesy humor in it. Israeli's got a kick out of him using hummus for everything.

Exactly, low humor plays across cultures as divided as I/P. Everyone laughs at a fart joke, even North Koreans. Hell, especially North Koreans. What are they gonna do, not laugh at Seth Rogan failing to use chopsticks and then going crazy for kimchi?

That's called soft power, Absurd Alhazred, something which your ponytail indicates your inability to discern.

Randler posted:

Pictured: Confirmed Ponytail veteran Absurd Alhazred sharing his opinions on arts and aesthetics with the chatthread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Ah, mein Liebchen. Du mich convencst auf dein jalosischloss nicht.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Randler posted:

alhazred i think after being this thoroughly owned you might need to cut the ponytail

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
so i finally saw rashomon

some good poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Warszawa posted:

some good poo poo.

well i saw rashomon and it went a little differently

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

alhazred i think after being this thoroughly owned you might need to cut the ponytail

Not happening, Delilah, sweetheart. :wink:

The Warszawa posted:

some good poo poo.

Try Kagemusha next.

Nintendo Kid posted:

:drat:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Nintendo Kid posted:

you're good people

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Try Kagemusha next.

I was debating either Drunken Angel or Seven Samurai

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Warszawa posted:

:pusheen:

You have never watched Seven Samurai!? Get off the forums right now, put that DVD in the player/load up that DivX/whatever and watch that poo poo right now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

...so wait, have you not seen Seven Samurai?

e:b holy poo poo

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm so happy for you right now

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
yeah sorry i was studyin then i was workin. one of my 2015 goals is to fill the gaps in my cultural experience.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:pusheen:

You have never watched Seven Samurai!? Get off the forums right now, put that DVD in the player/load up that DivX/whatever and watch that poo poo right now.

toshiro mifune is my role model

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*scratches self extensively, spits* ehhhhhh

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Chinese movies are better. Jia Zhangke or gtfo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so everythign on the forums looks seriously 2007 right now.

n/m everything is in its right place again. whew.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paranoid randroid posted:

so everythign on the forums looks seriously 2007 right now.

n/m everything is in its right place again. whew.

How do you mean? Wasn't even lurking then.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

yeah sorry i was studyin then i was workin. one of my 2015 goals is to fill the gaps in my cultural experience.

This is going to be a peak experience for you

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How do you mean? Wasn't even lurking then.

all aquamarine and web 1.0. terrible times, borderline savagery.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

all aquamarine and web 1.0. terrible times, borderline savagery.

Oh, a temporary thing. Some kind of CSS loading thingamajig?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its funny that the old stylesheet is still here, lurking under the surface, like DOS or an ancient sea creature

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Warszawa posted:

Have you...have you at least seen The Magnificent Seven?

its funny that the old stylesheet is still here, lurking under the surface, like DOS or an ancient sea creature

In his house in the drowned midwest, dead Lowtax lies sweating.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
use your own stylesheet ftw

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 3, 2015

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Have you...have you at least seen The Magnificent Seven?

In his house in the drowned midwest, dead Lowtax lies sweating.

nope

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Get thee to thy arthouse theatre!

And have a few beers while watching. Next think you know, you'll be telling us you've never seen Dr. Strangelove on the big screen.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

And have a few beers while watching. Next think you know, you'll be telling us you've never seen Dr. Strangelove on the big screen.

nah i've seen that

oh on the big screen no :(

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

You know what would really work? What if we slipped Kim a potion that made his hair fall out!

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK ABOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Whaaaat... dooooooooesss... aaaaaa yeeelloowwwwww... liiiiiiigggghtt... meaaaaaaan?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Man I wish I could see this.

I was watching some paranoiac youtube thing about Kubrick and kept following the next recommendation and apparently Stanley had George C Scott doing multiple serious takes for his scenes and then 1 "oh hey, why don't you try to play it for laughs, and uh light levels *cough*" and only used the manic frothing takes in the final cut. :allears:

Kubrick played some dirty pool.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Why does the US Armed Forces have four different branches each with their own structures and chains of command? That seems stupid and wasteful to me. Fold them all in together, that's what I say.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Why does the US Armed Forces have four different branches each with their own structures and chains of command? That seems stupid and wasteful to me. Fold them all in together, that's what I say.

The point is to have only an elected official, the President, with control over the whole of the military establishment, to prevent coups. It's also a way of spurring innovation, as branches can compete on developing new technology and ideas.

Would you like to know more?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JohnnyCanuck posted:

uh you realize that in every other country they also have their own structures and chains of command for the major differing roles? you wouldn't expect the admiral of the fleets to know much about infantry maneuvers or the tank commanders to tell the bombers what the best place to fly to is.

they're also still all part of the department of defense these days, and have things like synchronized rankings and pay and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

you wouldn't expect the admiral of the fleets to know much about infantry maneuvers or the tank commanders to tell the bombers what the best place to fly to is.

This still happens a lot in a lot of different ways. It's a joke.

• Locked thread