Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nessus posted:

:stare: No poo poo?

I think it would be appropriate to take anything said in this thread with a massive grain of salt. Maybe an entire portable salt mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

drunkencarp posted:

And that right there is why I -- a lonely basement-dwelling neckbeard superfan who threw many hundreds of dollars at the Exalted kickstarter -- have declined to support any other of the Onyx Path kickstarters.

That's the definition of an overreaction, then. Every other OP kickstarter has been pretty dreamy instead of a complete shitshow.

DeadReed
Feb 14, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

They didn't. They freely admitted once the kickstarter was over that they only made that date up because they were worried that someone else would take the game from them and do it wrong.

Someone else? Who else?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Transient People posted:

That's the definition of an overreaction, then. Every other OP kickstarter has been pretty dreamy instead of a complete shitshow.

Yeah every other Kickstarter has been real good.

DeadReed posted:

Someone else? Who else?

Who knows. Neph? I dunno.

Holden has been pretty open about this, too. It's not like it's a secret.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Transient People posted:

I'm absolutely sure that was sarcastic

E: lol it would be cool if Holden wasn't banned b/c he would be the second tradgames goon KS to lie like a motherfucker about kickstarter... unless there is someone other than Gau who did that?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm absolutely sure that was sarcastic

E: lol it would be cool if Holden wasn't banned b/c he would be the second tradgames goon KS to lie like a motherfucker about kickstarter... unless there is someone other than Gau who did that?

Red Mage?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I haven't actually seen any of that. Do you have a link for it? Not that I don't believe you, just that I couldn't believe that a developer would do that.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

They didn't. They freely admitted once the kickstarter was over that they only made that date up because they were worried that someone else would take the game from them and do it wrong.

It might be more accurate to say that it's more, the estimate they gave for December 2012 was to get approval from CCP and was never a realistic one. The October 2013 estimate was on track, if possibly overly optimistic, but then a bunch of people got sick/abducted by aliens/cancer and slowed the project down. Continued health problems, plus I'm also willing to bet that waiting for playtesting feedback and the playtest leak, haven't helped.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kongurous posted:

It might be more accurate to say that it's more, the estimate they gave for December 2012 was to get approval from CCP and was never a realistic one. The October 2013 estimate was on track, if possibly overly optimistic, but then a bunch of people got sick/abducted by aliens/cancer and slowed the project down. Continued health problems, plus I'm also willing to bet that waiting for playtesting feedback and the playtest leak, haven't helped.
Leaving aside criticism of the stupid, stupid playtesting policy, I imagine the book would have progressed much faster if Morke hadn't had some kind of mystery alien parasite in his neck, yeah. I don't know if it's be out now, but it might be.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Leaving aside criticism of the stupid, stupid playtesting policy, I imagine the book would have progressed much faster if Morke hadn't had some kind of mystery alien parasite in his neck, yeah. I don't know if it's be out now, but it might be.

His neck is better now, yeah.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

His neck is better now, yeah.
drat you, you've immortalized my grammatical error!

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Nessus posted:

It may have been, but. You know. If "ifs and buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exalted is the worst handled kick starter I've ever funded. And I regret it every time I see this thread that I was dumb enough to fund it. The developers are amateurs themselves, and it shows in the lovely way they've handled everything. They want to hide away in their bubble working on the game and sometime going 'oh yeah it looks pretty good' when basically every other RPG company nowadays has public rules testing, semi quality customer interaction, and certainly doesn't go 'well if you leak the game any more why shouldn't we just make the game worse to spite you'.

Just comparing them to every other Onyx Path gameline,z the devs are poo poo and the development ofthe product is super terrible.

Even if 3e comes out and its basically good, I hope Holden and this team is mostly dethroned for 4e, and put back to writing material but not running the line. This whole kickstsrter feels like evidence that none of them have management skills, or a personality fit for running a game line.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Exalted is the worst handled kick starter I've ever funded.

Doesn't even break my top four. This is less due to being good and more that I've had some weird kickstarter problems happen. It's hard to beat the World of Synnibar 2e one (backed entirely to see what Raven C.S. McCracken's crazed genius would come up with even if it'd undoubtably be unplayable) where he wrote a post about wanting to shoot someone and then vanished off the face of the Earth. Kind of feel awkward about backing that one now...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gourdcaptain posted:

Doesn't even break my top four. This is less due to being good and more that I've had some weird kickstarter problems happen. It's hard to beat the World of Synnibar 2e one (backed entirely to see what Raven C.S. McCracken's crazed genius would come up with even if it'd undoubtably be unplayable) where he wrote a post about wanting to shoot someone and then vanished off the face of the Earth. Kind of feel awkward about backing that one now...
3e.

Also some time after that the first draft or something rules came out and they're loving incomprehensible.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Zereth posted:

3e.

Also some time after that the first draft or something rules came out and they're loving incomprehensible.

Yeah, I've got them around somewhere. They make my copy of 1e look downright comprehensible and sane. And they're not nearly as fun to read. Anyway, Exalted 3e is at least going to presumably eventually deliver something semi-comprehensible (if probably not something I'd ever want to play, but I'm so burned out on caring about Exalted due to some terrible campaigns I'm almost hoping the final game's just fun to riff and dissect) or continue being the most amazingly entertaining soap opera of a development cycle I've seen.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, I've got them around somewhere. They make my copy of 1e look downright comprehensible and sane. And they're not nearly as fun to read. Anyway, Exalted 3e is at least going to presumably eventually deliver something semi-comprehensible (if probably not something I'd ever want to play, but I'm so burned out on caring about Exalted due to some terrible campaigns I'm almost hoping the final game's just fun to riff and dissect) or continue being the most amazingly entertaining soap opera of a development cycle I've seen.
Does your 1e book have a lady with wings and a chainmail bikini on the cover, or does it have two guys riding a hovercycle fighting a dragon?

Because the latter is actually 2e. Another way to tell is if there are rules for cybernetics.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

gourdcaptain posted:

I also backed that kickstarter. I never expected to get a good game out of it, but I expected it to at least be amusing. But it was just boring and bewildering. Tremendous disappointment.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

gourdcaptain posted:

Exalted: not as bad as the projects run by unironic madmen probably currently living in caves decorated with the dried entrails of truckstop hookers

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

Exalted: not as bad as the projects run by unironic madmen probably currently living in caves decorated with the dried entrails of truckstop hookers

Low standards are better than no standards.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Zereth posted:

Does your 1e book have a lady with wings and a chainmail bikini on the cover, or does it have two guys riding a hovercycle fighting a dragon?

Because the latter is actually 2e. Another way to tell is if there are rules for cybernetics.

Huh. I've got 2e apparently. I'd never even known their was a 1e - every PDF or other scan of the cover of the book I've ever seen and my print copy looks like that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

2e is basically 1e with some more stuff in it (like cybernetics) and an actual layout.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Zereth posted:

2e is basically 1e with some more stuff in it (like cybernetics) and an actual layout.

....I'm amazed he got enough funding pre-Kickstarter to publish TWICE.

Anyway, on the topic: I'm kind of amazed you can pull stuff like blatantly fabricating release dates to your bosses to keep them from assigning it to someone else, publicly admit this, and not have your bosses react in the slightest. Not that I'm too surprised, WW's entire existence has had a minimal to no quality control from on top - how else do you explain all the art in Exalted (especially all the stuff they claim they had no control over because the artist turned in something completely off the original specification and they didn't have time to redo it. Does every artist willing to work on TRPGs blatantly ignore specifications or something? Mind you, I've also heard that layout without consulting anyone on either a WW or Catalyst book just cut entire rules sections without telling anyone for space that were kind of needed. There's probably some deep communications issues here.)

EDIT: Meanwhile, over on RPG.net, Exalted devs are being bizarrely insistent they had to make contraceptives less perfectly effective in order to make the West more important. THIS IS A THING.

StephenIS posted:

The concern being expressed here is that certain elements of human biology lead to semi-inevitable oppression of women on both a micro- and macro-scale unless glossed over or otherwise dealt with -- witness how, in my example above, the solution for getting out of the consequences of an unwanted school pregnancy without chemical abortifacents for a female student is "Induce abortion some other way," which is unpleasant but at least a choice the student makes for herself, while the solution for getting out of the consequences of an unwanted school pregnancy for a male student is... "Induce abortion some other way," still, possibly without the mother's consent. That is some casual violence against women right there. This extends to every other element of the setting, from the practicality of women serving in armies to the practicality of women having full autonomy w/regards to how sexually active they want to be.

Other games handwave it, which is fine, but Exalted can't get away with handwaving that because Exalted doesn't handwave economics or logistics. Instead, Ex1 introduce cheap, reliable, universally available herbal birth control, inspired by the actual silphium, which was (allegedly, depending on who you ask) a reliable herbal abortifacent available to the Romans which they made extinct through overuse.

What I see here is the beginning of the expression of fear that by removing maiden tea as a silphium-equivalent without considering the repercussions, we are adjusting the setting to be much less female-PC-friendly and otherwise much more inevitably filled with sexual violence against women, once you get into the logistics of how pregnancy works. That is, it introduces more conflict into the setting, but the conflict it introduces is not fun to engage with.

However, as I said above, "unreliable" maiden tea is unreliable on the level of conventional birth control, not on the level of a toss-up. The game mechanics for maiden tea, regardless of what variety you buy, are "One dose monthly for contraception, two doses at once during a pregnancy as an abortifacent, three doses at once at any time for sterility, four doses are fatal." The unreliability of the cheaper versions exists on a larger context of statistical measurements and economic supply and demand.
I'm just mostly worried about bad DMs using this as a plot point on their PCs, but that's mostly because proximity to Exalted has psychoactive effects on otherwise decent GMs I know to make them into terrible ones.

It also leads to this quote from a developer:

The Demented One posted:

"Proper condom use" is not equivalent to the supernal talent of a demigod.
...I did not wake up today thinking that was going to be something I read.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 3, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I, The Lovable Plutonis, refuse to read any more words about fantasy birth control and instead ask for Lea to tell when they are releasing the book and whether they accept us taking devs hostage.

kongurous
May 22, 2010
Lea and Vance aren't devs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm asking him to serve as an intermediate, brother.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

Does every artist willing to work on TRPGs blatantly ignore specifications or something?

No, that's every artist in every enterprise that is not absolutely ludicrously cutthroat (we're talking 'bitch once and you're out you insolent wage slave' cutthroat). I've talked with people in the videogame industry and film artists and it's pretty much always like that. If you don't convince the artists to follow your lead, you gotta pick new ones or accept poo poo not going like you envision it.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Anyway, on the topic: I'm kind of amazed you can pull stuff like blatantly fabricating release dates to your bosses to keep them from assigning it to someone else, publicly admit this, and not have your bosses react in the slightest.

What are they gonna do, be fired? They're freelancers, they work on commission anyway, and it's not like Rich is giving the job to write Exalted to anyone else.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

quote:

Other games handwave it, which is fine, but Exalted can't get away with handwaving that because Exalted doesn't handwave economics or logistics.

quote:

The unreliability of the cheaper versions exists on a larger context of statistical measurements and economic supply and demand.

Recall that the writers have opposed including any sort of run-a-business/state mechanics in this edition on the grounds that they'd rather focus on gritty/personal sword and sandal adventure.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Recall that the writers have opposed including any sort of run-a-business/state mechanics in this edition on the grounds that they'd rather focus on gritty/personal sword and sandal adventure.

I winced at that line too, since handwaving economics and logistics is exactly what we were told STs would be doing in lieu of a Bureaucracy subsystem.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I knew something about that felt wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it. :doh:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For the abortion talk, I think that is just writers musing on their worlds. After all, they are still waiting on final editing, so why not think of things in the world? Exalted is a huge place with lots of stuff going on with various cultures and ideas. Some poo poo will be weird.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Calde posted:

I winced at that line too, since handwaving economics and logistics is exactly what we were told STs would be doing in lieu of a Bureaucracy subsystem.

Something can have an effect on the plot or background of a setting without detailed mechanics to cover it. They already said on the rpg.net thread that Maiden Tea is going to use basically the same rules its always used. The fact that different varieties of varying quality exist and that the ingredients for the best stuff are an expensive commodity outside of the West is presumably a plot thing rather than a mechanics thing.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
The local price of a morning-after pill was key to such ancient myths and classic pulp adventures as

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It sounds more like a way to create exceptions to rules or allow for characters who were "accidents" or whatever even despite precautions. And explain why there are orphanages etc. in a society with cheap and accessible birth control and abortifacients.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

And explain why there are orphanages etc. in a society with cheap and accessible birth control and abortifacients.

Constant low-level warfare as a fact of life?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
You can literally sell your child's unborn soul to demons in Exalted, you can have spirits or fey creatures feast upon it, and have a numerous ways of naturally ending the pregnancy, most of which is known about and can be traded for. Obviously sex Ed isn't going to be the greatest in a post post post apocalyptic world, however there is still some knowledge available. Maidens tea is also pretty cheap.
Why not talk about procreation, birth rates, and various marital or sexual practices of the varied nations of Exalted. It's a huge breathing world. poo poo gets weird at time.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It sounds more like a way to create exceptions to rules or allow for characters who were "accidents" or whatever even despite precautions. And explain why there are orphanages etc. in a society with cheap and accessible birth control and abortifacients.

We have those now.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

A_Raving_Loon posted:

The local price of a morning-after pill was key to such ancient myths and classic pulp adventures as

Maybe not pulp or mythic, but the fact that the Romans ate their naturally-occuring birth-control plant into extinction has always been amusing and sad to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I'm pretty sure they opposed it because they didn't want to write mechanics that would obviate actually telling stories about running a business with "I roll Bureaucracy, ten successes, looks like I am king of wheat now." Which the Creation-Ruling Mandate rules kind of did, even if it was pretty neat to suddenly turn the First Bureaucracy Excellency into a fantastically powerful Charm.

• Locked thread