Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's like the time how I fixed Excel by uninstalling Skype. Just accept it and move on with your bettered life.

Rome 2 probably installed some direct x or visual c++ runtime crap automatically that got corrupted in his Shogun 2 install actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I realized if I wanted to play the Iberian factions in Rome 2 I would have to pay an additional 7.50 for the pleasure, and thats 50% off. I decided gently caress that and fished out my copy of ME2 and registered the key on steam, is Kingdoms worth the 6 bucks if all I want to do is play as Portugal?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If you're just wanting to play as Portugal in the regular grand campaign then you don't need Kingdoms. I don't think Portugal appears in any of the Kingdoms campaigns, even the Americas one.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope, only Spain France and England show up.

Buy Kingdoms for the amazing mods.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of Mods, I've gone back to Shogun because Rome 2 is being a bitch with my AMD processors and crashing all the time. Any good mods to spruce up the regular Sengoku Period action of vanilla Shogun 2?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

Someone should make an ultrarealistic Roman emperor simulator where it's entirely first person and all of your information about where your armies are comes from reading handwritten reports that have been brought to you by messenger, speaking to some of your generals etc., and occasionally going to check out a specific area in person - where you'll still see from first person view so if you want a good look at a battlefield you'd better find a nice hill or hope that your scouts are giving you good reports (which, if you have low authority or if they've been bribed by enemies, they might not). And it's real time which means if you decide to gently caress off to Gaul for the glory of battle or whatever, everyone back in Rome will still be plotting against you, meanwhile one of your less competent generals is probably about to lose a battle in the Balkans or somewhere else but you can't see or do anything about it.

This is pretty close to my pipe dream of a strategy/tactical mmo. Where your own avatars and your small number of vassals are the only eyes you can see through and player to player messages/actions travel at the speed of horse. You don't know your enemies are there until they hit your picket lines and a messenger gets back to you. Then you have a wizard class that can cast things like group chat and teleport army.

I have a notebook with like 20 pages on this somewhere.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Unfortunately Mount&Blade is probably just about the closest we'll ever get to that. :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

If you're just wanting to play as Portugal in the regular grand campaign then you don't need Kingdoms. I don't think Portugal appears in any of the Kingdoms campaigns, even the Americas one.

Was hoping that the kingdom add ons would effect the normal campaign, good to know that isn't the case.

Except I guess my code also gave me kingdoms? I'm positive I bought this copy before kingdoms was a thing, yet I got it included with my download (was wondering why the download was 10.6 gigs)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Leal posted:

Was hoping that the kingdom add ons would effect the normal campaign, good to know that isn't the case.

Except I guess my code also gave me kingdoms? I'm positive I bought this copy before kingdoms was a thing, yet I got it included with my download (was wondering why the download was 10.6 gigs)
They might've included Kingdoms for Med2 CDKeys from the Gamespy days when they ported it over. I just remembered CA did this a while back for M2 and Rome.

But yeah, CA is evil because Rome 2 raped their puppy, forget them supporting their older games for multiplayer after the old MP service shut down, etc., etc.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Leal posted:

Kingdoms did add some features and unit tweaks, which you can put into the vanilla campaign with the Retrofit mod. If you didn't apparently already get Kingdoms I would tell you that it probably isn't worth getting just for that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

I remember playing as Portugal when i bought the game on release and they had Pamplona for some inexplicable reason. I'm not sure if they fixed that or not.

Also, the game starts in 1080 and you already have Lisbon under your control. loving CA :spergin:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Mans posted:

I remember playing as Portugal when i bought the game on release and they had Pamplona for some inexplicable reason. I'm not sure if they fixed that or not.

I remember playing a few months ago and they definitely still start with control of that pamplona/navarra area in northern iberia.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hey, so there's this interesting bug for Napoleon. Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WPPmJ5DvRw

I accidentally scrolled down and saw the YT comments.

quote:

Too bad we can't do this to all Muslims.

gently caress this planet. I'm out. :shepicide:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You have read youtube comments before right?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
That's just Sober, he likes to trawl terrible places on the internet for terrible opinions and then post them like they are somehow relevant to the discussion at hand. I'm not sure why, he's normally a good poster.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That reminds me, timre to get a new gently caress YouTube comments extension for my browser!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sober posted:

Hey, so there's this interesting bug for Napoleon. Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WPPmJ5DvRw

I accidentally scrolled down and saw the YT comments.

gently caress this planet. I'm out. :shepicide:

This is what I will forever think of whenever a news article bungles a "12 gauge shotgun" as a ".12 gauge shotgun".
Guy robbed a liquor store with a 6-pounder cannon. :monocle:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

canyoneer posted:

This is what I will forever think of whenever a news article bungles a "12 gauge shotgun" as a ".12 gauge shotgun".
Guy robbed a liquor store with a 6-pounder cannon. :monocle:

Hah, I never knew about how this worked until you mentioned it and I looked it up. Thanks!

Also, Rise of the Samurai is the most under-appreciated Total War game, in that its campaign is well-balanced and interesting without being too long, and the capabilities of the AI are relatively appropriate to the capabilities of their units. Discuss.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Kaal posted:

Hah, I never knew about how this worked until you mentioned it and I looked it up. Thanks!

Also, Rise of the Samurai is the most under-appreciated Total War game, in that its campaign is well-balanced and interesting without being too long, and the capabilities of the AI are relatively appropriate to the capabilities of their units. Discuss.

It's true, they took the refinement approach of Shogun 2 and dialled it all the way up to 11. Units are made available early and arts focus on giving bonuses to areas of your choice rather than gating the fun units, so you see a wider unit variety earlier than other Total War games. Junsatsushi are certainly made to be incredibly interesting as they force you to make the interesting choice between tax bots or province converters, but I feel that it kind of stole the shine from the other agents a little. Skill trees/Tech trees in general are hands down the best in the series.

They nailed combat unit balance in a way that is unmatched, with elite units able to take down hordes of levies, but middle tier units will grind down the elites due to unit size differences. Even elite units will suffer a lot of pain on a charge from a non-elite unit which means levy units can take advantage of their superior numbers. Nothing beats the levies for cost effectiveness, but cost effectiveness isn't everything and you really have a solid reason to have a mix of forces in your armies. All Foot Samurai or Monks, while hilarious, just isn't as effective as having Sword and Naginata Attendants mixed in. Cavalry is shifted to the lategame and rather than being the general killers or morale shock champions of earlier titles instead exist to butcher the elite units with devastating charges. Bow Cavalry Generals was a stroke of absolute genius.

The learning curve is absolutely punishing though, with the game fully expecting you to know how to properly manage infantry blocks and general auras, as the Levy simply can not operate on flanks or outside of the general aura for very long at all. It forces good infantry play by necessity and that can be both incredibly daunting and brutal to newer players or even experienced players who don't quite have a handle on the fragility of early units.

I think Rise and Fall both show off the incredible width on offer while managing to nail the fun factor. Rise of the Samurai is without doubt the best designed and most cohesive Total War game they ever released, although it is standing on the shoulders of giants in that respect. It is absolutely one of the most under-appreciated Total War games, without question and everyone who calls themselves a Total War fan should play it through at least once to see exactly the quality of game design that CA is capable of.

e: It also has the most thematic/enjoyable co-op campaign experience bar none. Paint the world Taira! :black101:

shalcar fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 28, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

seems like a useful retainer!!!!

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
No-one likes that guy with the camera. You all know the one.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'd want to kill the guy who keeps dragging that big-rear end camera to his restaurant table, too.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

shalcar posted:

No-one likes that guy with the camera. You all know the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8COTh_ueYQc&t=964s

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've wondered for years what that referenced.

FOTS has the best modern game General gear and hangers on in the modern games anyway.

Only game you can get a Japanese general peddling furiously away from a tourist with a camera on top of those big front wheel bikes whilst holding the portrait of Queen Victoria.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've wondered for years what that referenced.

It's actually an ongoing gag throughout the Once Upon A Time in China films. She and other well-meaning but helpless Western technophiles are constantly having to be saved by Jet Li and his squad of Traditional Chinese Patriots. The films are Jet Li at his best, check them out!

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 3, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well I do love Jet Li, so it is on my to do list now.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Leal posted:

I realized if I wanted to play the Iberian factions in Rome 2 I would have to pay an additional 7.50 for the pleasure, and thats 50% off. I decided gently caress that and fished out my copy of ME2 and registered the key on steam, is Kingdoms worth the 6 bucks if all I want to do is play as Portugal?

Just saw this, the Hannibal DLC is very good if you need an excuse. Playing in Iberia is like gunpowder era gameplay too because most Iberian Swords throw javelins with loose formation toggles and ranged aiming behavior. It owns. So much killing.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Rock Paper Shotgun has an Attila hands on (albeit only the first 40 turns as the preview build is limited to such) that can be found here.

Long story short, it's Napoleon. Nothing that will blow anyone away, but it's in the right direction although we won't know for sure until after release.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
I've got an embarrassingly high amount of time sunk into Napoleon, so that's more than fine by me. Hell, even the menu music is shaped up to be more immersive in Attila. Though, this does go to show though, that CA can polish out a proper game if they include a certain sense of direction. Spreading out the game over several centuries and telling to player "Go!" leaves the finished product a little washed-out.

If the studio ever really does make Total Warhammer, I hope they make the campaign more cohesive. Rather than just telling the player: "Here are some greenskins/pissed off dwarfs/knights/dudes with tentacle arms. Go burn down some poo poo."

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Well, it's not out yet so we can't say they have managed to pull it off, but historically the smaller CA have focused the better the game they have produced. I still have no idea why they don't have Jeff van Dyck on permanent retainer because he has music for Total War on absolute lockdown and makes Richard Beddow seem like a pale imitation.

I agree that Napoleon is a great game, but I still think pre-ordering Attila at this point is a fools errand, especially given history.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

shalcar posted:

I agree that Napoleon is a great game, but I still think pre-ordering Attila at this point is a fools errand, especially given history.

But I'm an enthusiastic nerd with disposable income, and a history of poor purchasing decisions. :downs:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Space Wizard posted:

But I'm an enthusiastic nerd with disposable income, and a history of poor purchasing decisions. :downs:

Then god-speed, you glorious bastard :patriot:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I tend to agree that the smaller the scope of the era, the better the game ends up being. Also I think that the vaunted variety of Rome 2 vis a vis the past few TW games is a bit deceptive because honestly the units aren't that different. There's just twenty skins for 'good swordsman, less good swordsman' that all end up having the same exact function in the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

shalcar posted:

Then god-speed, you glorious bastard :patriot:

He's not going alone :black101:

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Onward, toasterwarrior! To glory and-- crashes to desktop

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

shalcar posted:

Long story short, it's Napoleon. Nothing that will blow anyone away, but it's in the right direction although we won't know for sure until after release.

Well it does have way more playable factions than Napoleon and they are a bit more different from each other

Panzeh posted:

I tend to agree that the smaller the scope of the era, the better the game ends up being.

I dunno I haven't tried it myself yet but most people seem to be saying the new Peloponnesian DLC is crap. I guess it's just DLC but still, it's very focused.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 6, 2015

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Earwicker posted:

Well it does have way more playable factions than Napoleon and they are a bit more different from each other

This doesn't actually change anything I said, unless you are trying to :goonsay: or something.

Earwicker posted:

I dunno I haven't tried it myself yet but most people seem to be saying the new Peloponnesian DLC is crap. I guess it's just DLC but still, it's very focused.

That's because it's a last second DLC cash grab before Attila comes out and makes Rome 2 obsolete.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Earwicker posted:

It's not though. It's one of their best looking campaigns. The Rome 2 DLC campaigns all seem much more polished than the Grand Campaign. Better artwork tech triggers meaningful generals etc.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's good looking but still crap. I think CA has a really great track record with DLC but WoS is some of the worst poo poo they've pushed out in a long time. At least with Rome 2 it was obviously rushed; with this you can tell they just didn't care. Still a bit redeemable with mods though.

And Attila is looking great but yeah don't preorder and then act shocked if it turns out to be broken. The main danger of this is also that they might not give it the same post-release support Rome 2 got even if it needs it; FOTS got very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

shalcar posted:

Well, it's not out yet so we can't say they have managed to pull it off, but historically the smaller CA have focused the better the game they have produced. I still have no idea why they don't have Jeff van Dyck on permanent retainer because he has music for Total War on absolute lockdown and makes Richard Beddow seem like a pale imitation.

The reason Van Dyck gave himself is he got tired of having to work late to do the composing and sound mixing work, since he's based in the US and still had to communicate with the UK offices.