Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emery
Feb 8, 2012
Oh Re:Chain, how I wanted to like you. This was always the one game in the series that stuck out as sort of out of place and I was never able to really get my head around the card battling in a series that centers around active time battles with generally simple commands. It's interesting that you can see some of the mechanics return in a much easier to use form later on in the series and be incredibly fun there while being somewhat hit and miss in this game. It was nice to finally be able to see the rest of the story I missed!

E: Definitely meant Re:Chain and not Re:Coded.

Emery fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Emery posted:

Oh Re:Coded, how I wanted to like you. This was always the one game in the series that stuck out as sort of out of place and I was never able to really get my head around the card battling in a series that centers around active time battles with generally simple commands. It's interesting that you can see some of the mechanics return in a much easier to use form later on in the series and be incredibly fun there while being somewhat hit and miss in this game. It was nice to finally be able to see the rest of the story I missed!

RE:Coded is an ENTIRELY Different Game dude. This is Chain of Memories.
Also, fun fact about mechanically broken moves in Generation 1 of pokemon: If you knocked out a Pokemon with Hyper Beam, it has no refractory period.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chain of Memories Card/Slight system was later refined into the awesome Command Deck system seen in BBS, Re:Coded and 3D, so it's automatically gets some kudos from me.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Chain of Memories Card/Slight system was later refined into the awesome Command Deck system seen in BBS, Re:Coded and 3D, so it's automatically gets some kudos from me.

God, that Command Deck was awesome.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Yes, yes we will mess with the command deck and make ourselves brokenly overpowered eventually. Just give us time.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Grats on finishing RE: Chain. I remember getting absolutely destroyed by Riku's final boss in the GBA version. Over, and over, and over...

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Grats on finishing RE: Chain. I remember getting absolutely destroyed by Riku's final boss in the GBA version. Over, and over, and over...

Yeah, now I get to be destroyed by multiple different bosses KH2 Final Mix.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

The drat perspective was probably the cause for that. Given certain fights were Nigh Impossible, like a Group of Defenders, or VEXEN.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

jayman52 posted:

Yes, yes we will mess with the command deck and make ourselves brokenly overpowered eventually. Just give us time.

lol no u wont i remmber ur streams

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Ahh, but you fail to realize that I learn from every experience. Much like a Saiyan, I get more powerful after every experience.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

jayman52 posted:

Ahh, but you fail to realize that I learn from every experience. Much like a Saiyan, I get more powerful after every experience.

No, Saiyans only get more powerful if they come close to death.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
And not outright die like you did so very, very, VERY many times.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

And not outright die like you did so very, very, VERY many times.

Yeah, but they're always training so it all balances out in the end.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there, I just thought I would let you guys know that there is going to be a delay on the episodes. I'll also let you know why. Basically, I'm needing to re-install Windows on my computer because it is starting to act screwy and it could use a refresh. Unfortunately, I just don't have enough room on my current external hard drive to back everything up. I have ordered a 5 TB external hard drive from Best Buy and it should be here on Wednesday, so I will probably be backing up and getting Windows re-installed this entire week. As you might guess this kind of puts my updates on the back-burner for the moment. I should be going full steam ahead next Monday. I'm really sorry about this but my computer just seems to need a refresh once every one or two years to keep everything running smoothly. I am also saving my money up so I can build a brand new computer, but that probably won't happen anytime soon. In the meantime, I will be streaming probably every night this week because that doesn't seem to require as much processing power as actually recording new footage.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 5, 2015

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

jayman52 posted:

Hey there, I just thought I would let you guys know that there is going to be a delay on the episodes. I'll also let you know why. Basically, I'm needing to re-install Windows on my computer because it is starting to act screwy and it could use a refresh. Unfortunately, I just don't have enough room on my current external hard drive to back everything up. I have ordered a 5 TB external hard drive from Best Buy and it should be here on Wednesday, so I will probably be backing up and getting Windows re-installed this entire week. As you might guess this kind of puts my updates on the back-burner for the moment. I should be going full steam ahead next Monday. I'm really sorry about this but my computer just seems to need a refresh once every one or two years to keep everything running smoothly. I am also saving my money up so I can build a brand new computer, but that probably won't happen anytime soon. In the meantime, I will be streaming probably every night this week because that doesn't seem to require as much processing power as actually recording new footage.

That's fine dude. Always best to be prepared for the LP Curse, than actually getting it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really, as cheesy as it is, I like the ideas of dawn and twilight standing as the transition paths between light and darkness. Instead of those destructive absolutes.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Glazius posted:

Really, as cheesy as it is, I like the ideas of dawn and twilight standing as the transition paths between light and darkness. Instead of those destructive absolutes.

DiZ seems to only be interested in Absolutes for some reason.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

DiZ seems to only be interested in Absolutes for some reason.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

jayman52 posted:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Only the Sith?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Well according to Obi-Wan Kenobi at least.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
How many people here are aware that AGDQ will speed running a KH game tonight, at around 4 AM central? I thought I'd inform those who aren't aware.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Nameless Fool posted:

How many people here are aware that AGDQ will speed running a KH game tonight, at around 4 AM central? I thought I'd inform those who aren't aware.

News to me, but I doubt I'll be awake for it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Can always catch it on the vod or youtube, there's some guy stream ripping and popping them up nearly as they finish.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Alright you goons, I think I have made you wait long enough for new content. This an update and we are finally starting Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix.

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 001 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: My Summer Vacation"
Episode 002 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Totally Bogus Episode"

New Episodes
Episode 001 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: My Summer Vacation"
Episode 002 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Totally Bogus Episode"

Jiminy's Journal

New Characters

Roxas

Who is this nerd? This is our protagonist for this game because Sora is currently napping. His backstory is told more in depth in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. VA: Jesse McCartney

Hayner

This chumplord is our best friend. VA: Justin Cowden

Pence

This dork is another one of our friends and he is wearing a jersey that is referencing The Bouncer an old Squaresoft (at the time) PS2 title. VA: Sean Marquette

Olette

This chick is the token female friend of the protagonist. VA: Jessica DiCicco

Seifer

Finally, we get Squall's equally annoying boyfriend in a game. VA: Will Friedle (Yep, he's voiced by Batman)

Rai

Here we have Seifer's first crony. Don't worry, he is still just as annoying as he was in FF8 if not more so because he now has a voice. VA: Brandon Adams

Fuu

Look at that, Seifer's other crony is here too. VA: Jillian Bowen

Vivi

The black mage with an existential crisis from FF9 makes his appearance here as well. VA: Melissa Disney

Setzer

The gambler with a heart of gold from FF6 is now the reigning Struggle champion. VA: Crispin Freeman

Nobodies

Dusk

The lowest form of our new enemies for this game.
Reaction Commmand: Reversal. Stuns the Dusk by swerving behind it real quick.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 29, 2015

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
The black coat before twilight thorn shows up was indeed in the origin game.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

grandalt posted:

The black coat before twilight thorn shows up was indeed in the origin game.

Odd. My memory of the game must be really shoddy then. THen again, I beat it a few years ago.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

And so KH2 begins and hopefully doesn't get interrupted. This one I'm really looking forward to sharing with you guys because this is where the series really starts to shine, in my opinion.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I wonder how well you'll take it when your summer vacation comes to an end.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Lucky ring did exist in the vanilla version, though. It was from a chest, so you only had one of them for the entire game. That you can now synthesize them in this version is actually amazing (and maddening. I really wish I bothered to get this).

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Fun fact about Lucky Lucky. With the ring, the three weapons, and the three regular abilities, you could get 7 total in the original game. With how the drop rate is done in that game, it multiplied drop rates 3.1 times. In Final Mix, though, while the weapons with Lucky Lucky no longer have it, each Lucky Lucky is worth more multiplier individually, and you can potentially (if you grind up enough materials) have up to 15 copies of Lucky Lucky equipped, for a multiplier of 8.5(!!!). There's even a way to get one more Lucky Lucky temporarily for a multiplier of 9.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Lucky ring did exist in the vanilla version, though. It was from a chest, so you only had one of them for the entire game. That you can now synthesize them in this version is actually amazing (and maddening. I really wish I bothered to get this).

Hmm, I had completely forgotten about that.

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

I guess I'll list all of the differences with Critical Mode compared to the other difficulties since some people are confused.

Critical Mode
-Max HP is reduced from 120 to 60 and Max MP is reduced from 140 to 120.
-Enemies deal double damage (this is the same amount of damage they deal in Proud Mode).
-Sora deals 1.25 times his base damage (this is the same as the damage multiplier in Beginner Mode).
-Experience gained from enemies is cut to 0.75 times it's usual amount.
-Starting AP is 50, but it counts as if 50 AP ups were already used on Sora (I actually consider this beneficial as it saves on grinding to synthesis them later).
-Every AP bonus from a level up gives you 3 AP instead of 2 AP. This means level 99 Sora with have 99 AP from level ups rather than just 66 AP.
-You start with bonus abilities that you can only get in this difficulty (the two Lucky Lucky's are really helpful and Reaction Boost and Finishing Plus give you some really good damage right from the start).
-Has the easiest requirements for the Secret Ending.

I feel the bonus AP and abilities are worth any of the downsides that Critical Mode may have and I personally consider it the only 'real' difficulty setting from KH2FM. The fact that a level 1 play through is actually plausible and fun in KH2FM is also a bonus. Sadly Critical Mode in pretty much any game that came after KH2FM is no where near as cool.

So yeah in Critical mode Sora will have a base AP of 199 without any accessories boosting it, and with the 2 AP boost you in the prologue for getting munny with Roxas, Sora's base AP will be 201. More than enough to equip whatever abilities you need on Sora.

ChaosSora fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 14, 2015

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

ChaosSora posted:

I guess I'll list all of the differences with Critical Mode compared to the other difficulties since some people are confused.

Critical Mode
-Max HP is reduced from 120 to 60 and Max MP is reduced from 140 to 120.
-Enemies deal double damage (this is the same amount of damage they deal in Proud Mode).
-Sora deals 1.25 times his base damage (this is the same as the damage multiplier in Beginner Mode).
-Experience gained from enemies is cut to 0.75 times it's usual amount.
-Starting AP is 50, but it counts as if 50 AP ups were already used on Sora (I actually consider this beneficial as it saves on grinding to synthesis them later).
-Every AP bonus from a level up gives you 3 AP instead of 2 AP. This means level 99 Sora with have 99 AP from level ups rather than just 66 AP.
-You start with bonus abilities that you can only get in this difficulty (the two Lucky Lucky's are really helpful and Reaction Boost and Finishing Plus give you some really good damage right from the start).
-Has the easiest requirements for the Secret Ending.

I feel the bonus AP and abilities are worth any of the downsides that Critical Mode may have and I personally consider it the only 'real' difficulty setting from KH2FM. The fact that a level 1 play through is actually plausible and fun in KH2FM is also a bonus. Sadly Critical Mode if pretty much any game that came after KH2FM is no where near as cool.

So yeah in Critical mode Sora will have a base AP of 199 without any accessories boosting it, and with the 2 AP boost you in the prologue for getting munny with Roxas, Sora's base AP will be 201. More than enough to equip whatever abilities you need on Sora.

Thanks for all of that. I actually didn't know about quite of that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You'll hit the AP cap for Sora on Critical mode if you give him every free AP up the game gives you, and still have free ones left over for Donald and Goofy.

You get a lot of AP ups.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like how you killed the Twilight Thorn by making it land on its neck

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I like how you killed the Twilight Thorn by making it land on its neck

Yeah, I was especially happy with that because it looked like the cause of death was a broken neck. Pretty funny stuff.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
I like to think that all the times when characters are talking about darkness, and light, and kingdom hearts, they have only the vaguest idea of what's actually going on. That's my thinking on the in-universe reason why there's so many contradictory or nonsensical elements in the entire Kingdom Hearts plot.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there everyone, I forgot to update you guys. So, here it is!

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 003 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: A Man's Tournament"
Episode 004 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Seven Wonders of Twilight Town"

New Episodes
Episode 003 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: A Man's Tournament"
Episode 004 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Seven Wonders of Twilight Town"

We don't have any new characters or enemies, but I would like to mention the voice actors for the new characters we ran into during Re: Chain of Memories because all of them make some kind of appearance here in Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix.

Axel - VA: Quinton "I EAT SPINES" Flynn
Namine - VA: Brittany Snow (KH2), Meaghan Jette Martin (Re:CoM, 358/2 Days, Re: Coded)
Zexion - VA: Vince Corazza
Marluxia - VA: Keith Ferguson
Lexaeus - VA: Dave Boat
Larxene - VA: Shanelle Gray
Vexen - VA: Derek Stephen Prince

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
If it weren't for the fact that I watched these videos hours ago and I have more important things to do (like move myself back into my apartment) than to go over the videos again, there were some tidbits you got a bit incorrect, and it irked me for all of 2 minutes. But I can say that there's going to be a lot of depressing going on soon. And emotional whiplash.

Axel should eat spines in the next game he appears in. Just saying. It seems to be a recurring thing nowadays for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Weren't these uploaded to your channel days ago? Anyhow, I make it a point not to watch videos I helped record with, as I hate hearing my own voice.
Also, Rai is a moron.

• Locked thread