Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Limited Resources, Brainstorm Berwey and Top Level Magic are my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

Does Flores talk about anything other than Napster, the other decks he's made, and articles he wrote 15 years ago?
Well if it's anything like Top 8 Magic, it's also about whatever gossip surrounded the tournaments he and Chapin were both at 15 years ago as well.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Podcast chat, I like Spike Feed. It's fairly laid back and has a nice mix of personalities. One trader, a couple players. No real limited presence, though.

Also, I'm sure it won't be Noah (ModoGrinder1 on Twitch) on LR because his episode was trash, but I'm still bummed about it. I basically learn formats by watching his drafts.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Alaan posted:

Since we are on the topic of podcasts, how bout a roundup of decent magic ones. My current job has me in my own little hole where I can listen to podcasts basically my whole shift. Which means I can really tear through backlogs if I don't spread out my listening a bit. So always looking for more variety.

If you're interested in design stories, Mark Rosewater's podcast isn't bad, although I ended up not listening to it because I don't really like his voice.

mango sentinel posted:

Well if it's anything like Top 8 Magic, it's also about whatever gossip surrounded the tournaments he and Chapin were both at 15 years ago as well.

I'm just basing it off his articles, I've never listened to any podcasts he's been on, but yeah that sounds very Floresian.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The next LR cohost is going to be Rich Hagon and everyone's going to throw a fit.

Anyone other than Noah Weil and I'm fine. They got so much negative feedback from his last appearance, they had to address it the next week.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Elyv posted:

Does Flores talk about anything other than Napster, the other decks he's made, and articles he wrote 15 years ago?
There is more than a little old tournament/Jon Finkel chat, but that hasn't started to bother me yet. It's mostly just chatting about Standard cards and decks, and while Flores does seem to have some questionable card evaluations at times, its interesting to hear Chapins corrections and why.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah brainstorm brewery is good. Their content isn't really anything special but the way they just insult each other the whole time is just magical. Rosewater's is pretty good to get a (biased) view of the history of the game.

Constructed Resources has been pretty low effort and I don't recommend it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fish Of Doom posted:

The next LR cohost is going to be Rich Hagon and everyone's going to throw a fit.

Anyone other than Noah Weil and I'm fine. They got so much negative feedback from his last appearance, they had to address it the next week.

What happened? I fell out of listening to LR when Brian Wong left.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fish Of Doom posted:

What was people's problem with him? Was it just that he wasn't shy about claiming to be an amazingly good limited player?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Entropic posted:

What was people's problem with him? Was it just that he wasn't shy about claiming to be an amazingly good limited player?
I think that it was mostly because he "talked over" Marshall, although I think that's just a lack of practice. Ryan and Marshall talked over each other a lot in the first year - turns out the internet equivalent of radio DJ is actually a really tough job that requires a particular skill set. Who knew!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Another FNM, another 3-1 win. goddrat do I love Sidisi Whip. The only match I lost was because I couldn't draw a single removal spell. Oh well, opened up my sixth Polluted Delta tonight. Maybe I can trade it for something I need for once.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
My first FNM of 2015 is a winning one. :getin: 2-1 with Boss Sligh, losing to G/B Constellation (with both losses coming down to whether or not I could topdeck a burn spell for the win), beating some younger kid's G/R aggro deck, and avenging a loss against another player's 4-color Control after barely losing to him a few weeks back 1-2 by beating him 2-0.

Boss Sligh is literally one of the most fun yet successful decks I've ever played, and I can't wait to see what else Tarkir can add to it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Entropic posted:

I think it was mostly that he came across as a complete prick, saying stuff like how he doesn't see why he needs to be nice to people at tournaments and if they want him to be nice, they should pay his entrance fee. Marshall made a statement at the beginning of the next show that was basically, "We got a lot of negative feedback from last week's show asking for me to never have Noah on again and how he's making a bad name for the game, but I think he has important stuff to say."

This was like a year ago, and I don't think he's been back since.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 3, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think it was mostly that he came across as a complete prick, saying stuff like how he doesn't see why he needs to be nice to people at tournaments and if they want him to be nice, they should pay his entrance fee. Marshall made a statement at the beginning of the next show that was basically, "We got a lot of negative feedback from last week's show asking for me to never have Noah on again and how he's making a bad name for the game, but I think he has important stuff to say."

This was like a year ago, and I don't think he's been back since.

He was on a few weeks ago and he seemed fine to me. I didn't know him from anything before hearing him on that show though.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Entropic posted:

He was on a few weeks ago and he seemed fine to me. I didn't know him from anything before hearing him on that show though.

That was Noah Sandler, modogrinder1, totally different dude. Noah Weil was on episode 208.

Edit: Apparently it's LSV according to cryptic messages on patreon, as well as the two them being commentators at the GP this weekend.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I try not to run of tokens with my Mardu Kings deck, so I have 4 Warriors, 8 Goblins, 8 Cat Soldiers, 2 Vampires, 12 Zombies, and 12 Soldiers. I still run out of Soldier tokens sometimes when I have an Elspeth and won't attack for some reason.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've realized Sarkhan is another decent Flamewake enabler, maybe there could be some kind of Big Red deck again.

bhsman posted:

My first FNM of 2015 is a winning one. :getin: 2-1 with Boss Sligh, losing to G/B Constellation (with both losses coming down to whether or not I could topdeck a burn spell for the win), beating some younger kid's G/R aggro deck, and avenging a loss against another player's 4-color Control after barely losing to him a few weeks back 1-2 by beating him 2-0.

Boss Sligh is literally one of the most fun yet successful decks I've ever played, and I can't wait to see what else Tarkir can add to it.
It's also nice being one of the only players not to have all their games go to time :v:. I haven't seen anything too good for it in spoilers yet (maybe the Heelcutter could work as a reusable way to ignore big midrange creatures and finish the game? I'm currently using Harness by Force for that and it does compare fairly well) but I can't imagine them not making a cheap red dasher, and there's still the red modal spell to come. Maybe Flamewake Phoenix could be a good way to deliver pump spells in some matchups too.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 3, 2015

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?

Alaan posted:

Since we are on the topic of podcasts, how bout a roundup of decent magic ones. My current job has me in my own little hole where I can listen to podcasts basically my whole shift. Which means I can really tear through backlogs if I don't spread out my listening a bit. So always looking for more variety.

I'm in a similar situation where I have a job that some days I end up sittting at my desk listening to podcasts for 8 hours. The only two Magic podcasts I have found that I really enjoy are Magic: The Amateuring and Card Talk, and Card Talk has only posted 1 episode in the last 6 months. I hear good things about Limited Resources, but are there any others you guys like?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's also nice being one of the only players not to have all their games go to time :v:

Hells yeah. :respek:

quote:

I haven't seen anything too good for it in spoilers yet (maybe the Heelcutter could work as a reusable way to ignore big midrange creatures and finish the game? I'm currently using Harness by Force for that and it does compare fairly well) but I can't imagine them not making a cheap red dasher, and there's still the red modal spell to come. Maybe Flamewake Phoenix could be a good way to deliver pump spells in some matchups too.

Heelcutter and a Mountain may replace the two Frenzied Goblins I currently run, but the Phoenix presents an interesting option; at worst it is a 2/2 with flying and haste (which isn't all that bad by itself), but if you have, say, an Akroan Crusader that's been targeted with Titan's Strength, or a sufficiently-big Swiftspear, or even a Denizen after casting Hordeling Outburst, etc.

I'm really hopeful for that modal spell, and a cheap Rush creature (if only to finally give the deck a future beyond Akroan Crusader and Firedrinker Satyr).

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I want this loving Game Day playmat.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

I'm in a similar situation where I have a job that some days I end up sittting at my desk listening to podcasts for 8 hours. The only two Magic podcasts I have found that I really enjoy are Magic: The Amateuring and Card Talk, and Card Talk has only posted 1 episode in the last 6 months. I hear good things about Limited Resources, but are there any others you guys like?

I've heard good things about the Magical Friends Variety Hour (gasmtg.com) but not sure how applicable it is globally, or in the acquisition of strategic content.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Karmoderm posted:

I've heard good things about the Magical Friends Variety Hour (gasmtg.com) but not sure how applicable it is globally, or in the acquisition of strategic content.

You'll hear about cowards and warriors though which is nice!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As for Brutal Warchief vs Hellrider, you have to remember it's not always possible to compare stuff across colours like that. 1 mana 2/1s in red, even ones with drawbacks like Jackal Pup, often see more play than their apparently better black equivalents. Hellrider is amazing in RDW, but maybe it wouldn't fit as well into a black aggro build.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Boxman posted:

Podcast chat, I like Spike Feed. It's fairly laid back and has a nice mix of personalities. One trader, a couple players. No real limited presence, though.

Spike Feed also has a couple strengths uncommon in the MTG podcast community: It's short and all the hosts know how to use their microphones.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

I want this loving Game Day playmat.

Bring back "champio" mats Wizards!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, is there any reason to play anything except Red/X aggro or Jeskai this standard after FRF hits?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

legoman727 posted:

So, is there any reason to play anything except Red/X aggro or Jeskai this standard after FRF hits?

Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Serious question: Why aren't more (read: any) people using Scuttling Doom Engine in this standard? It laughs at everything in Sidisi Whip with the exception of an active Pharika, forces Jeskai to use pumps defensively if they even want a chance of blocking it, and at the very least two-for-ones against every other card in the format except Pearl Lake, Silence the Believers and enchantment exiling.

Edit: And it laughs at Ugin. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

Serious question: Why aren't more (read: any) people using Scuttling Doom Engine in this standard? It laughs at everything in Sidisi Whip with the exception of an active Pharika, forces Jeskai to use pumps defensively if they even want a chance of blocking it, and at the very least two-for-ones against every other card in the format except Pearl Lake, Silence the Believers and enchantment exiling.

Edit: And it laughs at Ugin. :v:

Stormbreath Dragon, Sarkhan, Wingmate Roc, Soul of Theros, Elspeth, and Hornet Queen pretty well fill out that high curve stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I saw it right, SCG was advertising 3/3 mammoth tokens. What card would produce those, or do they occasionally just make weird ones for variety's sake?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

If I saw it right, SCG was advertising 3/3 mammoth tokens. What card would produce those, or do they occasionally just make weird ones for variety's sake?

I think they're just fancy Elephants.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Niton posted:

I think they're just fancy Elephants.

3/3 mammoths do seem off flavor wise.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

They're just 3/3 Elepahnts.

SCG also has Penguin Tokens that are just 1/1(or maybe 2/2) Birds. They do a lot of stuff like that.

At least the Creature Collection tokens look better than the terrible Invitaional-winner-face-on-a-card tokens they make people on camera use.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

3/3 mammoths do seem off flavor wise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The horror.

(Fate also has a 3/2, conditionally 4/3 mammoth. Creature type elephant, but I think they've actually shelved the mammoth type).

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
Do they drop more spoilers on the weekend or is it just Monday through Friday?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lsv is trolling everyone w/ LR teases. ("Only when I talk about limited. Which I don't do very often." -regarding calling Sensory Deprivation the blue Swords to plowshares)

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Call of the herd also produces 3/3 elephants. It was one of my first 'chase rares'

I dread Nagle sets. They are casual and bloated and too cute. I hope the rest of the set smooths out and plays well in limited.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 3, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Erdos posted:

Do they drop more spoilers on the weekend or is it just Monday through Friday?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, the "definitely spoiling something" days are Mon-Fri.

Unrelated but I am not fond of LSV's wardrobe here, yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

Lsv is trolling everyone w/ LR teases. ("Only when I talk about limited. Which I don't do very often." -regarding calling Sensory Deprivation the blue Swords to plowshares)

LSV is so good at this. "By the time the set's been out for 30 days, everyone's seen a million set reviews, whether they're written or verbal :tinfoil:"

• Locked thread