Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What is a man? A miserable little pile of meerkats!
_________________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jamal posted:

The thing that annoys me is listening to music over Bluetooth. You have to wait for the phone to connect and then switch inputs every time. What makes it worse is defaults back to the radio and the volume is different. So you get back in the car and it's super loud radio.

Wait,. what? How can an OEM gently caress up this badly? Even my relatively low end Pioneer stays on the Bluetooth input. If I shut off the car with it on the Bluetooth input, the phone disconnects and stops playing music (or if I was on a phone call, the phone switches back to the handset earpiece without hanging up). I start the car, it says "Connecting" on the stereo, and about 5 seconds later the music resumes, or the phone call switches back to the stereo. If the phone is off, or not in the car, it just shows "NO SERVICE" on the display until I switch inputs (and it even lets me disable inputs I don't use often - I only have the radio and bluetooth inputs enabled; USB and aux-in are disabled, even though I have the USB cable end in the glove box - more if I need to update firmware than anything).

leica posted:

So does anyone here know how to make a non-HDCP compliant tv compliant? I just got a giant old 50" Nakamichi plasma for free and of course it's non compliant so the DVI input isn't working with the cable box or PS3.

It doesn't have component inputs? That wouldn't be HDCP compliant, but even the newest cable boxes we have support component (3 video cables + 2 audio), and output even HBO just fine over them to our old 36" Panasonic 1080i CRT. I'm fairly sure a PS3 would work with that as well. I'm pretty sure an HDMI to DVI adapter won't work in your case.

Only other suggestion would be to pick up a cheap home theater receiver that has HDMI inputs, and get an HDMI to DVI adapter to go from the receiver to the TV. My PC sees the HDMI port as "Onkyo HT-R290", and sees it as HDCP compliant - turning the TV on and off does nothing to the PC, but if I turn off the stereo (or switch inputs), the 3rd "monitor" disappears. If you already have some speakers, Wal-Mart usually has a Sony or Pioneer 5.1 HDMI receiver for a bit over $100 (avoid the all in one things though). I think I paid a bit less than $200 for mine a couple of years ago, which came with 5 (crappy, but passable) speakers + subwoofer, and has 4 HDMI inputs.

PaintVagrant posted:

side note: What the gently caress does oil in the crankcase vent hose/intake/etc mean? PCV valve jammed shut?

That, or some serious blowby. New PCV valve won't hurt, but it may just be a tired engine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my store is located in an open air mall (why anyone thought this was a good idea in Indiana I will never know) with benches and seats all over. So anyways, some goober was sitting out on a bench playing traveling minstrel for some loving reason tonight, loudly braying out John Mayer songs way out of key and he couldn't even play the guitar.
Well one of my super goofy MTG regulars, I mean this guy is every nerdy gamer stereotype you can loving imagine, he goes over to the bench and asks if he can see the guitar and I'm expecting him to smash it or something in a fit of nerd rage but no! Dude licks his fingers and he plays some piece of music I don't recognize and it's loving beautiful, like Eric Clapton skills.

I had to get back inside but it was just loving magical. Dude is totally socially introverted but had to most amazing skill on that guitar.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
A little late but I wanted to add that curry ketchup is delicious and I've been putting it on everything!

Putting my dad's 280z on the dyno tomorrow. Just did a quick street tune, there is something up with the wastegate as I am getting 15psi with a creep to 20psi around 5500rpm but it runs real good.

EBay t04b/t3, hoping for high 200s low 300s. Tune needs a lot of work but it's not too shabby for a couple of drives today. Didn't have a chance to work on the ignition table so I'm sure there's a bunch of power on the table still.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just a dumb bad photoshop but I giggled:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

some texas redneck posted:

Wait,. what? How can an OEM gently caress up this badly? Even my relatively low end Pioneer stays on the Bluetooth input. If I shut off the car with it on the Bluetooth input, the phone disconnects and stops playing music (or if I was on a phone call, the phone switches back to the handset earpiece without hanging up). I start the car, it says "Connecting" on the stereo, and about 5 seconds later the music resumes, or the phone call switches back to the stereo. If the phone is off, or not in the car, it just shows "NO SERVICE" on the display until I switch inputs (and it even lets me disable inputs I don't use often - I only have the radio and bluetooth inputs enabled; USB and aux-in are disabled, even though I have the USB cable end in the glove box - more if I need to update firmware than anything).

I am really pissed off that he bought that thing too. He had a yukon which was great, but old, so it needed replacement. I made a lot of recommendations and offered to help both my grandparents buy cars, and I am there pretty frequently visiting. So last summer suddenly they both have new (used) cars thanks to some greasy rear end in a top hat sales guy. Way over paid for the ram, it is fully loaded with a backseat tv and a bunch of poo poo he doesn't know how to use, a bunch of chrome poo poo all over it, 20" wheels, etc. And he has no use for a pickup. He's 80 and can't get anything into the bed, it's huge and terrible to park even compared to the old yukon. Also, those 20" tires were bald so he got to buy new ones plus another set of winter wheels and tires right off the bat.

mafoose posted:

Putting my dad's 280z on the dyno tomorrow. Just did a quick street tune, there is something up with the wastegate as I am getting 15psi with a creep to 20psi around 5500rpm but it runs real good.

EBay t04b/t3, hoping for high 200s low 300s. Tune needs a lot of work but it's not too shabby for a couple of drives today. Didn't have a chance to work on the ignition table so I'm sure there's a bunch of power on the table still.

You don't want to try troubleshoot the boost creep problem when the car is already on the dyno.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jamal posted:

I am really pissed off that he bought that thing too. He had a yukon which was great, but old, so it needed replacement. I made a lot of recommendations and offered to help both my grandparents buy cars, and I am there pretty frequently visiting. So last summer suddenly they both have new (used) cars thanks to some greasy rear end in a top hat sales guy. Way over paid for the ram, it is fully loaded with a backseat tv and a bunch of poo poo he doesn't know how to use, a bunch of chrome poo poo all over it, 20" wheels, etc. And he has no use for a pickup. He's 80 and can't get anything into the bed, it's huge and terrible to park even compared to the old yukon. Also, those 20" tires were bald so he got to buy new ones plus another set of winter wheels and tires right off the bat.

Goddamn. I could never sell something to someone that wasn't actively looking for it, or recommend it if I didn't think they needed it.

Which is why I left my "tech support" job at Frontier Communications (Rhyno knows how badly they sucked); I was expected to sell SOMETHING on 8%+ of my calls. I was fine with selling antivirus, as it was (at the time) a decent product (rebranded F-Secure, but with a higher price), and if they were on a higher speed plan, I had no issue seling their backup software. But the electronics warranties, premium tech support (where we'd support anything electronic), and identity theft protection were downright ripoffs.

I remember when someone from sales transferred a call to me to install antivirus software on a new customer's laptop. No big deal, we do that all the time. I ask if it's a Windows or Mac laptop.

"Neither, it's a Chromebook"

Sales had done such a good job convincing her that she absolutely needed antivirus, that they sold her a product she couldn't even use. :smithicide: We discussed Chromebooks for a bit, and I told her I'd been thinking of getting one for basic web browsing, pointed her to some web pages to convince her that her Chromebook couldn't run a Windows or Mac antivirus product. Had to get sales back on the line to remove the antivirus charges (I had the access to do so, but since the order was still open, I couldn't touch it, and I couldn't issue refunds anyway). I knew it would cost the sales person some commission (and then some, since it was immediate churn), and made sure she didn't have a PC or Mac in the house she could use it on first. I felt so loving dirty working there.

This is why I don't work in sales - I have too much of a conscious.

I did overpay for my car, but I knew it was priced at the top end of KBB retail, and in nearly showroom condition. Plus my options were really limited thanks to my credit; CarMax was the only place that would finance me at anything under 18%. Kinda wish I'd held out for a Red Line version though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sarcastx posted:

Yeah I don't understand why most Bluetooth implementations suck so much; it's like working with printers - how do printers still suck so loving much in 2015

Even worse, i don't understand why head unit software is still such garbage.

You can buy dual core android phones for $60, but that $800 alpine head unit still looks and feels like windows CE. Even worse is companies like sony that make loving smartphones, yet can't make a decent functioning touchscreen head unit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tomarse posted:

How big is their house to have 25 radiators! I've got 6 and I hate paying for them!...

How are the valves you have bought controlled? Is there a gateway device that sits on your internet to make the phone app work?

I want to add my radiators and heating into my home automation setup but I h
aven't yet found any affordable valves that work on 433mhz with the transmitter/receiver I have.

Around 900mē, most of it is my dad's business. Offices, workbenches, storage and a garage take up a lot of space. Like I said, last year the heating bill was around ~$8000, and they're very keen to reduce it.

The ones I have are branded eQ-3 MAX!, but they're also sold under various other brands such as ELV and Tricklestar, and there are a couple of different ways to control them. Firstly, you can obviously run each valve independently, the full-featured version of the valve can be programmed directly with weekly schedules and take care of itself.

The second option is that you can connect multiple valves in a room directly to each other (it's pretty simple to pair them), to window switches and to a wall thermostat. The valves themselves will detect a temperature drop from an open window and shut off for 15 minutes, but it's best to use the window switches. With everything connected like that, the valves share the same schedule and if you turn up the heat manually on one, the others will follow.

The option I have is for multiple rooms, which comes with a control box that acts as a gateway to my LAN. You download a small PC/Mac application which starts up a localhost web server on your PC. This allows you to configure everything including setting up individual rooms, assigning devices to those rooms and creating weekly schedules. I don't know why the web server isn't just built into the control box, but at least it's Java-based, so maybe I can get it to run on Linux. It's no big deal though, because you can also access your control box through eQ-3's website from any browser. So for instance, if I was on vacation and had the heating turned down, I could go in and shorten or extend the vacation program. The control box also lets me use slighter cheaper valves, since they don't have to be configurable directly.

It runs on 868MHz, so no luck with your 433MHz system unfortunately. It does however seem to have much better range than wifi, which is nice.

rscott posted:

ketchup in it's modern form is way too sweet and is loving gross as a result

American-style ketchup is way too sweet, but proper ketchup is still being made elsewhere.

mafoose posted:

A little late but I wanted to add that curry ketchup is delicious and I've been putting it on everything!

Absolutely 100% agreed. Currywurst is one of the few things the Germans got right.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Bleh, Had a bitch of a day at work yesterday, its not always fun to be the boss.

One of my techs showed up and was clearly drunk, worst is he drove in. Gave him the option to go home without pay, telling him that if he dident leave his car keys with me i would call the cops. He starts claiming that i cant prove that he is drunk, and that its all bullshit. i offer to go up to HR and have them test him. (they have to sign a contract that they can be subject to both breathalizer and bloodwork when they get hired, due to operating heavy machinery)
He then agreed that i was not trying to be a dick, and caught a cab home. On the way out the door he turns around and asked if he will get payed for the two hours he have been at work (drinking coffe and sitting in my office) my facial expression made him say "NEVERMIND" and run out.

Another of my techs was so hung over he was shaking, and spent 3 hours on a 15 minute job. He probably figured he flew under my radar since i was dealing with drunk dude. No such luck. i told him he had two options, leave with out pay, or cleaning the steam grate we use to degrease engines by placing the busses over it, and pumping steam and running a pressure washer with hot water and degreaser on them. The bilges under said grate is the foulest place south of the north pole. He chose to clean it... and actually did a great job, even tho he looked like swamp thing when he was done for the day.

I then managed to start updating all our diag computers, thinking it was 10 minute jobs. turns out it takes three hours to update mercedes branded software. So i pretty much cripled my own shop after lunch. I got my guys to do a proper clean of the entire shop and told corporate trafic office that i hosed up and no more buses would be released for duty until saturday. that was a fun call.

and when i got home i was out of beer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fjelltorsk posted:

and when i got home i was out of beer.

Sounded kinda fun, in a "Screw you, I'm the man" kinda way, until that last line.

Relevant Ben Folds lyrics:

"Once you wanted revolution
Now you're the institution
How's it feel to be the man?
It's no fun to be the man"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sarcastx posted:

Is this true? Is there really no way to actually turn the radio **OFF**? Or do you just turn the volume all the way down, or set it to an AUX input with nothing connected if you just want silence?
Yes, it's probably like that, the audio system in my Zoe is the same. I don't mind because I always have a USB stick of my own music in it, but you can indeed get around it by switching the the 3.5mm jack input, which will effectively be permantent mute if you've got nothing plugged into it.

It was a minor annoyance/weirdness when I first got it, but once you've made it do what you want, you stop being irritated about it not doing it the "right" way.

I also suspect that someone could probably change it from "default on" to "default mute" through the diagnostics, if they had sufficient access to it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Bluetooth/entertainment implementation in my Mazda 3 is pretty good if a bit laggy and no frills.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I've only had one bluetooth device that sucked, but it was a cheap Chinese knock off so I expected that.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

mafoose posted:

This is the One True Ketchup

Also I was recently driving a '12 Dodge Ram with bluetooth connections to phones, and the music would skip like it was a drat CD player from the 90's. Not sure how it was that lovely but it was.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Who needs ketchup on fries when you can eat poutine instead?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Those of us who want to live into our 40s, for one. Besides everyone knows that malt vinegar is the superior complement for your fries.

Also, I started watching Black Mirror last night. Holy poo poo that is an incredible show.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrChips posted:

Those of us who want to live into our 40s, for one. Besides everyone knows that malt vinegar is the superior complement for your fries.

Malt vinegar and some sort of seasoned salt, preferably with a good kick to it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Found a $550 headlight for $150 shipped ot my door.

http://imgur.com/a/I5Amq

quasi-moto can see!

That's gonna light up the dirt really well the next time you drop your bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

That's gonna light up the dirt really well the next time you drop your bike.

Or the trees for when I endo it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

One of you nerds buy this Skyline: https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4822977913.html

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
idk, those pictures look like they're from 1999, who knows what's happened in the last 16 years

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Even though I live in the general vicinity, I refuse to buy a 25 year old car that I am going to have to over night parts in from Japan. I'll stick to my flaming British piles. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, $13,500 for a GTS4? That's a $6000 car here at best.

I should start bringing lovely GTSTs down and flipping them for lovely S2000s.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So here's to marathoning Helix and playing CoD all night. My New Years Resolution was to not buy any drugs (except booze on the weekends) until I'm caught up on my bills.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

I used to be an Adobe certified instructor in that and Photoshop. I can pretty much answer any questions you have about it if you wanna hit me up.

I did our wedding invites in Illustrator :shobon:

Awesome, I might just take you up on that. We still need to Horse Brass, anyways.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KozmoNaut posted:

Absolutely 100% agreed. Currywurst is one of the few things the Germans got right.
I lived on that poo poo when I was in Germany. Every day on the way back to the hotel I'd stop at one of the currywurst stands and have a feast. I need to buy/make some curry ketchup.

Friend talked me into going out drinking last night. I'm not looking forward to the hangover that should be kicking in at some point, for now I'm still drunk.

Fly home tomorrow then back to reality on Monday. Sitting around eating and gaming for two weeks has been pretty nice but I'm looking forward to getting back to my usual routine will be nice.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I also found pictures of that skyline at a track day:

(wow, managed to confuse myself into editing this post like 5 times, all for the sake of a lovely joke)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 3, 2015

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

blindjoe posted:

My brother has a truck from BC while living in Ontario. He needs to get some sort of out of province inspection done to make it actually legal to drive.
Any ontario guys have a list of what he needs to check? I had a copy of the form for BC, and going through it would point out all the line item things that need to be fixed.

Also any recommendations for a shop in Kingston?

Pretty sure all you need is a regular safety inspection, here's the checklist http://redliners.ca/forums/showthread.php?34558-Ontario-Safety-Inspection-List

Should be anywhere from 50-100 bucks depending on level of flash.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wise words. I love poutine so much :)

Dry Ice is expensive... I bought some for the first time yesterday and I mean, I guess I thought it wasn't going to be much different than a bag of ice, not 4x the price!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Finally over my mystery sickness aside from some nasty wet coughing. Doctor called it "other" virus. I also have a bunch of phenergans now.

Cabinets get a bunch of work done tomorrow. We're painting them red with dark grey backing and beige countertops. It's gonna look mean in a manly, "what's color matching" sorta way. Should have them up and stable (sans drawers or doors) by the 10th when the big party you're all invited to happens.

Ready to go back to work and kick some rear end and make some money.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Going to repost this again in case someone missed it.

I've got two oneplus one invites that expire in two days if anyone wants them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Freezing rain since 1am = hilarious number of cars in ditches and on the wrong side of the road. As I was walking across the parking lot I saw a newish Imprezza slide right through a stop sign and crunch another car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Going to repost this again in case someone missed it.

I've got two oneplus one invites that expire in two days if anyone wants them.

Invites to buy a phone is ridiculous.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Agreed. I've seen people sell them for like $15+ so I figured I'd try to help someone out here.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
A real compressor owns. Bitches.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

They are poo poo phones too from what I've seen in the android thread.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

Never settle! :allears:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

While I could never really bring myself to rip off someone's grandmother or the like, I never really had a problem selling stuff to regular people. Most of them just wanted the bare minimum to get by regardless of what they needed, but I needed to get my sales numbers somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iPhone superiority

• Locked thread