Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Digital Jello posted:

Yeah, I missed the Selphie "duck and cover" deal too. It actually redeems Rinoa a bit in the sense she's not the only one scared, I guess. But then, we all love Selphie, so it's totally forgiveable when she does that.

Selphie is supposed to be a trained professional soldier. She's seen a war and killed people. The fact that she does that kinda bothers me. It's like the game developer's went "She's a woman, she must be scared/emotional, but the men will take it in stride".

Actually, given my familiarity with such "amazing" pieces of work like Metroid: Other M and the Suikoden III manga, this might actually be the case.

Dammit :japan:

Anyways, about the Not Rinoa thing, Being Not Rinoa might be a bonus for every other character, but I'm not going to give passes to these characters just because of that. :colbert:

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

mauman posted:

Selphie is supposed to be a trained professional soldier. She's seen a war and killed people. The fact that she does that kinda bothers me.

Agreed, but Selphie's personality is also ditzy as hell. To make an off-kilter comparison, there was this Venture Bros. episode I watched long ago where despite all the danger the main cast faced, one of the heroic brothers refused to ever believe that any of the badguys ever actually died. When the mortician would zip up the corpses in body bags, said character would think they were "sleeping bags" for camping or something. I'm not saying Selphie's that stupid (...indirectly, I am), but she doesn't come across as a character who would ever get battle-hardened. The fact that she's always so cheery and upbeat I think is why most of this thread finds her so great.

On a side note, I like Selphie myself, too. But that's because Quistis' martyr-ish personality as a "failed instructor" is annoying and Rinoa's just an idiot.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

mauman posted:

Selphie is supposed to be a trained professional soldier. She's seen a war and killed people. The fact that she does that kinda bothers me. It's like the game developer's went "She's a woman, she must be scared/emotional, but the men will take it in stride".

In all honesty, I'd like to think that she has a sort of sugar-high ADHD. It would explain where she gets all those limit-break spells, anyway.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 3, 2015

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I think you're a little wrong on some of the things you're saying, Jello, but I need to wait for that long post in the future to respond.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Digital Jello posted:

Agreed, but Selphie's personality is also ditzy as hell. To make an off-kilter comparison, there was this Venture Bros. episode I watched long ago where despite all the danger the main cast faced, one of the heroic brothers refused to ever believe that any of the badguys ever actually died. When the mortician would zip up the corpses in body bags, said character would think they were "sleeping bags" for camping or something. I'm not saying Selphie's that stupid (...indirectly, I am), but she doesn't come across as a character who would ever get battle-hardened. The fact that she's always so cheery and upbeat I think is why most of this thread finds her so great.

On a side note, I like Selphie myself, too. But that's because Quistis' martyr-ish personality as a "failed instructor" is annoying and Rinoa's just an idiot.

She's also OK with assassinations (with probable bonus casualties because of her choice of a freaking rocket launcher), has faced down a giant Mecha, and if her SeeD Graduation was anything like Squall's, had to face down some sort of giant magical beast.

The fact that she (from all appearances) breaks down because of a weird moving old man who's nowhere near her is just jarring.

At this point though I'm probably WAY over thinking this :downs:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Digital Jello posted:

I don't think most people like Selphie because she's cheery and upbeat (that's a super-cliche JRPG trope), it's because she's kinda psychotic about it. She's cheery and upbeat while suggesting blowing people up.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
The SeeDs are trained, but I wouldn't say they're battle-hardened. After all, their first real combat experience was in the field exam, and that was yesterday. I'd agree that a big part of Selphie cowering is probably because she's female, but she's also very green.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

And Squall and Zell are just standing there. No one comes out of this looking good.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

And Squall and Zell are just standing there. No one comes out of this looking good.

At least they're still standing rather than practicing the fetal position.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think most people like Selphie because she's cheery and upbeat (that's a super-cliche JRPG trope), it's because she's kinda psychotic about it. She's cheery and upbeat while suggesting blowing people up.

Definatly a bonus, that's for sure.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Well, this is the first FF8 LP I've actually viewed (as a whole, without looking at bits and pieces of others), so my insight on Selphie is really only what I've seen so far. You guys bring up a point I hadn't thought about yet.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 3, 2015

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Whoever has the better dialogue.

Going with this as well., but if you don't know/remember who this would be, I say instead take Selphie and if we can get rid of Squall then let him be all serious or mope around on the train while Zell comes along for the mission.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

MoadDib posted:

Going with this as well., but if you don't know/remember who this would be, I say instead take Selphie and if we can get rid of Squall then let him be all serious or mope around on the train while Zell comes along for the mission.

This.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Rinoa and Selphie

So yeah Vinzer Deling kind of looks like George W. Bush when you get a better look. I wonder how Squaresoft predicated that one.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

LEGO Genetics posted:

Rinoa and Selphie

So yeah Vinzer Deling kind of looks like George W. Bush when you get a better look. I wonder how Squaresoft predicated that one.

Probably because he looks like his father.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Digital Jello posted:

Did Gero escape from a Resident Evil game? He looks pretty out of character for an FF badguy

Actually, I think it fits pretty well for FF4/5; it's what I thought of as soon as I fought him.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Voting Rinoa and Selphie.

Regarding why Selphie and Rinoa are the only ones crouching I always assumed it had nothing to do with battle readiness and was just blatant sexism. Women should be scared by big scary monsters whilst the men take it in their stride. Despite being a trained killer Selphie can't overcome being a woman in a JRPG. Riona being scared is totally understandable and in character though.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Weavered posted:

Voting Rinoa and Selphie.

Regarding why Selphie and Rinoa are the only ones crouching I always assumed it had nothing to do with battle readiness and was just blatant sexism. Women should be scared by big scary monsters whilst the men take it in their stride. Despite being a trained killer Selphie can't overcome being a woman in a JRPG. Riona being scared is totally understandable and in character though.

Pretty much. It's a nasty habit that :japan: has.

Oh well....different cultures I guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm voting to bring Zell because I always make my party two punchers and a mage. That just always made more sense to me in 3 man FF parties. Plus I'm not and have never enamored with Selphie's character.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

SonicRulez posted:

I'm voting to bring Zell because I always make my party two punchers and a mage. That just always made more sense to me in 3 man FF parties. Plus I'm not and have never enamored with Selphie's character.

With the Junction system, you can very easily make Zell the Mage and Riona the physical powerhouse, since base stats barely vary at all :v:

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Without junctions, Rinoa is the strongest character by quite a bit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Brony Hunter posted:

With the Junction system, you can very easily make Zell the Mage and Riona the physical powerhouse, since base stats barely vary at all :v:

Zell's Limit Breaks are pretty physically-oriented, so it works out to keep him as the puncher.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Oh hey, I forgot to vote.

Selphie

She needs to make up for her lack of professionalism :colbert:

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

inverts posted:

Zell's a lot more open when people can't see him, huh?

Couldn't stop my hands from drawing it.
[/quote]

I'm very lazy, but I finally got around to putting this in the second post. Thanks for the art.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cool Ghost posted:

Without junctions, Rinoa is the strongest character by quite a bit.

Do you mean out of all the people we can use in the party now or in the entire game?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

RareAcumen posted:

Do you mean out of all the people we can use in the party now or in the entire game?

She has some of the highest base stats in the game.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

RareAcumen posted:

In the entire game. Rinoa has the highest base Strength, Magic, and Spirit of all characters.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cool Ghost posted:

In the entire game. Rinoa has the highest base Strength, Magic, and Spirit of all characters.

Yeah, she literally has 20 Str more than Squall at level 100. Her closest competition is that regard is Ward, who is still 11 points behind. Her only 'poor' statistic is Vit, which is still higher than Quistis and Selphie.

This actually makes her a bit more useful in a No-Junction game.

Oh, Zell.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silegna posted:

She has some of the highest base stats in the game.

Cool Ghost posted:

Huh. Hot drat.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

This sounds like a good way to play the game if you want a challenge.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Her limit breaks are also pretty incredible, though they require a bit more tuning than anyone else's, since her crisis level 1 and 2 breaks will never be great.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

This sounds interesting. Could you elaborate a bit? Considering how integral Junctioning is, I'd be interested in hearing how this plays in. Unless it boils down to something like FFX No Sphere Grid No Aeons Blah Blah which is literally "MIX EVERYTHING EVER"

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

A no-junction game means you can't junction GFs to characters, ever. With everything that logically follows from that. This means you can't use command or character abilities, you can't junction magic to stats or elemental/status attack/defense, and you can't have your GFs learn any abilities that they don't already come with. (Notably, however, Forbid Mag-RF comes pre-learned, and you can use that to get Meteor and Ultima into your characters' magic stocks for the purpose of a limit available late in the game.)

Since you need a GF even for the basic concept of using items in battle, this basically means you're going through the game with lovely stats and strategic options consisting entirely of a. regular physical attack and b. limits (which are considerably riskier than they normally are, due to lovely stats). There's some strategizing you can do involving what limits you unlock, which characters you do or don't level, and whether you keep Squall around petrified as a dummy target (since he's kinda crap for damage but you're always stuck using him).

But overall, the challenge boils down to a hell of a lot of RNG. Especially the final battle.

I will say, however, that magic damage is considerably more useful in that challenge than it is in the normal game. Physical damage scales quadratically with Str and linearly with the power of the attack, meaning stronger types of attacks don't improve it all that much but higher Str has a really great effect (and conversely, lower Str really nerfs damage). Magic damage is the other way around (linearly with Mag, quadratically with power of attack), so higher Mag doesn't do all that much (but lower Mag doesn't hurt all that much either), but using a strong attack like some of the girls' late-game limits is practically as good damage as it would have been with junctions.

Gravity (percentage of current or max HP) damage is also very useful against any enemies vulnerable to it, since 1/4 current HP is 1/4 current HP regardless of your attacker's stats.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Can you use Draw and Items without a GF?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The_Frag_Man posted:

No. The only commands available without a GF are Attack and limits. You can still use items outside of battle, however.

I actually did a slight variant of the No Junction game last time I played; I allowed myself to junction GFs and to use support abilities (like Str+20%), but nothing else; no additional commands besides Attack/Limit, no Junctioning magic, no refining. Also prevented escaping, using items outside of magazines and the Magical Lamp. Also no Invincible Moon.

It was actually pretty fun, and less RNG than a regular No Junction game. Selphie in particular becomes very useful when you realize she's your only way to heal status effects, and your only way to heal outside of inns til late Disc 3.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Nope!

e;fb

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ApplesandOranges posted:

No. The only commands available without a GF are Attack and limits. You can still use items outside of battle, however.

See, attack only, all day long sounds incredibly dull. Now not being allowed to junction magic to your stats (and maybe no stat-boosting abilities) sounds like an interesting way to play. That would make your normal attacks kinda suck, and prevent you from having 10x your expected HP to spam limits, so instead you might actually do crazy things like cast spells or use all those commands you can get from GF that end up useless compared to limits limits limits limits every turn. I guess summoning should be disallowed also, because while it's really boring to watch the summon animations every time, they do end up being pretty strong and protecting you from damage at the same time.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Schwartzcough posted:

See, attack only, all day long sounds incredibly dull. Now not being allowed to junction magic to your stats (and maybe no stat-boosting abilities) sounds like an interesting way to play. That would make your normal attacks kinda suck, and prevent you from having 10x your expected HP to spam limits, so instead you might actually do crazy things like cast spells or use all those commands you can get from GF that end up useless compared to limits limits limits limits every turn. I guess summoning should be disallowed also, because while it's really boring to watch the summon animations every time, they do end up being pretty strong and protecting you from damage at the same time.

I think I might do this. I don't think I've ever played FF8 where I didn't break the game over my knee. Hell I had Rinoa SOLO THE FINAL BOSS.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Okay, it makes sense that you need a Junction to use magic, or even Draw magic. It doesn't make sense for Items to be restricted in the same way. If they ever remake this, I hope they change it. (They can make the command unequippable to make room some other way).

And if they can add other Default Skills to the same list later, they could use it for foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I've done a challenge with no magic junctioning and no limit abuse (but anything else goes) and it's quite fun. It's fairly difficult since your stats suck, but you have lots of options. As you mentioned, I ended up actually using virtually everything in the game, the things which are otherwise totally ignored - magic, special commands, GF summoning, and items.

In such a challenge, GF summoning honestly isn't as overpowered as you'd think. Since GF summoning can hit weaknesses (e.g., Quetzacotl is lightning elemental) and the raw base damage of most GF's is very similar, it makes enemy weaknesses relevant and means that if you're summoning regularly, you're actually going to use most of them at various times to target specific enemies. Also, while they can protect you from damage, any GF you regularly summon ends up with a cast time so short that it's oddly difficult to successfully get them to tank hits.

• Locked thread