Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chumbler posted:

I should mention I'm not painting or sealing these, just doing panel lining on them out of the box. Still, it sounds like getting the various components together first is the way to go. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you. I do lining after I finish removing the nubs off each piece. After I finish a step, I do a touch-up pass to get any areas I miss. Doing it on a completed model is just awfully difficult or impossible to get to certain places that are visible but the pen can't reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up my first Gundam model kits on a whim and Ikea furniture is my experience level. Do I need special tools? Some pieces are left with a little tab after I pop them out.
The kits I have are Fenice Rinascita 1/144 and Gundam Aegis 1/100 (it's pink).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsuki posted:

I picked up my first Gundam model kits on a whim and Ikea furniture is my experience level. Do I need special tools? Some pieces are left with a little tab after I pop them out.

:stonk:

Get yourself some angled wirecutters or hobby nippers and cut the pieces out. That's all you need to build yourself a Gundam, save maybe a toothpick or something to help get the really tiny stickers in place.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The only thing you really need is a flush cutter so you can get those tabs off. Sanding implements to completely remove them would be nice too, but you could just use an x-acto knife instead if you don't intend to paint.

An x-acto knife is also a good way to apply stickers, so that's another reason to get one.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

tsuki posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyY1yfC8p4

get some sprue nippers and do what this episode says.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Broken Loose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyY1yfC8p4

get some sprue nippers and do what this episode says.

I haven't gotten to that episode in the series, yet, but that was an amazing one.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Anybody have any experience getting replacement kotobukiya model parts? I've seen some people having success by emailing the US branch, but I was wondering if anybody has better ideas then that. The fix on the Rex' railgun is pretty stopgap at best, so I'd like to see what I can do about getting a new part. Suggestions?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kibner posted:

I haven't gotten to that episode in the series, yet, but that was an amazing one.

Build fighters is a 26 episode toy commercial, and it's fantastic. But nippers are the only thing you really 'need,' especially if you have a good pair. Now, once you've had a taste, and follow this thread more, watch more episodes, and catch a glimpse of the highest of highs in model building, you'll want to look into that X-Acto knife (and lots of spare blades), sanding sticks, paint and paint accessories, gap fillers, tweezers and decal softener for putting those fiddly slide transfer decals on...

The journey of 1000 MG GX's starts with a single pair of nippers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Honestly, I would put a hobby knife in the "need" category, just because some polycaps and pieces just won't fit right if you don't get the nubs off and I've had no luck doing that with sprue cutters (on polycaps, anyway).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

but you could just use an x-acto knife instead if you don't intend to paint.

To many bad experiences with the knife, snip twice then sand. Slow and steady doesn't leave you with gouges or bleeding hands.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tenzarin posted:

To many bad experiences with the knife, snip twice then sand. Slow and steady doesn't leave you with gouges or bleeding hands.

LOL if your thumb isn't basically made of callouses after you've been doing any modelling hobby for a while

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm not really a Gundam fan (never seen the show or such), but I like building hobby kits and I visit Japan on a yearly basis to meet my in-laws. So, after never finding anything fun but Gundam kits in the shops here, I decided that I would finally try one out. Today I went and bought this kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-MSZ-006A1-Zeta-Plus-Scale/dp/B00030EU7Q

The reasoning was that the box was reasonably sized to not take up my entire luggage (god drat some kits are huge), and even if I'm not a Gundam fan I can't say no to a fighter jet that turns into a robot. I also wanted to try out a MG kit, with all that talk about a structural skeleton and that.

Now I'm just waiting to get home so I can open it up and start to fuzz around with it. The plan is to paint it up with quite a heavy amount of weathering, as I'm a much big fan of "gritty" sci-fi (Alien, Blade Runner, District 9) than glossy, clean sci-fi. I haven't decided if I want to go with the box colour scheme of white and red or not, any ideas?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think the white looks really cool when it's weathered. It's a transformable kit that I've never built so I don't know how paint on the frame will mess with that, but if it doesn't I think a cool dark gunmetal works well as a contrast to the white/red, with the thrusters a lighter silver.

Also, watch Gundam, it's pretty good.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Swagger Dagger posted:

I think the white looks really cool when it's weathered. It's a transformable kit that I've never built so I don't know how paint on the frame will mess with that, but if it doesn't I think a cool dark gunmetal works well as a contrast to the white/red, with the thrusters a lighter silver.

It's an old Zeta kit so as usual, do not transform it unless you want it to fall apart.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Yeah, a white with streaks and stuff would look nice, and appropriate for that fighter look. The alternative to the red would be to go for a more WW2 fighter camo paint, but I have no idea how well that would look in the end.

Where the hell would you start watching the show? There's like a million Gundams, right?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, a white with streaks and stuff would look nice, and appropriate for that fighter look. The alternative to the red would be to go for a more WW2 fighter camo paint, but I have no idea how well that would look in the end.

Where the hell would you start watching the show? There's like a million Gundams, right?

Generally, you wanna watch the original series, Mobile Suit Gundam (it's also been remastered into 3 movies instead, you could watch those instead), and you'll have the gist of the background for most of the other series.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

lilljonas posted:

Start with the original Gundam movie trilogy. Then ask for advice in the Gundam thread.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The original Gundam is pretty great 70s science-fiction. I'd put it up there with stuff by Clarke and Asimov or Star Wars/Star Trek.

The rest is anime. And some of it is great, and some of it is terrible, and most vascillate between these two poles depending on the episodes. But only very few try to be SF again (parts of 00, as an example), most are content with being simple mecha wars in space.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilljonas posted:

If you want a more modern entry to the franchise, aside from the movie trilogy, try Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin. It's a hardcover manga series that's a modern remake of the original series.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The original Gundam is pretty great 70s science-fiction. I'd put it up there with stuff by Clarke and Asimov or Star Wars/Star Trek.

The rest is anime. And some of it is great, and some of it is terrible, and most vascillate between these two poles depending on the episodes. But only very few try to be SF again (parts of 00, as an example), most are content with being simple mecha wars in space.

Gundam 00's pretty newbie-friendly and the first season is pretty good in it's own right. Plus it has some great grunt Mobile Suits :allears:. The second season's not as good though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
If we're tossing out recommendations for a good entry point, I'd suggest Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, especially since most of the fight scenes end with the damaged suits mostly intact as opposed to exploding dramatically for no reason.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Do not watch 0083 Stardust Memory or AGE.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

JimmyBiskit posted:

Finished the main body of Rex. Kinda kicking myself in the rear end right now though, because as I was assembling the railgun, the balljoint snapped off inside of the polycap in the gun itself. At least now I have an excuse to get a hand drill, but :argh:

e: nevermind, we're in business

Hi5 Rexbro

It's a hell of a fun build, no? Nice to see a company caring about really getting the seams hidden.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Or watch Stardust Memory in a language you aren't fluent in so you don't deal with the cast's chronic idiocy but still get to see the pretty kickass fight animation and music.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I don't know why you wouldn't want to watch 0083 in english. That dub, man.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

W.T. Fits posted:

If we're tossing out recommendations for a good entry point, I'd suggest Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, especially since most of the fight scenes end with the damaged suits mostly intact as opposed to exploding dramatically for no reason.

And it'll turn any new convert to Gundam into a Zeon sympathizer :black101:

It's actually a great intro to the series, because mobile suits are a HUGE deal in it. Like, thanks to it being such a small-scale story, even a single mobile suit is a massive threat. Plus some of the best designs of the OYW MSes, like the Cold Districts GM and the Hygogg.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's actually a great intro to the series, because mobile suits are a HUGE deal in it. Like, thanks to it being such a small-scale story, even a single mobile suit is a massive threat. Plus some of the best designs of the OYW MSes, like the Cold Districts GM and the Hygogg.

No joke, I saw huge in all caps before the rest of the post and my brain mixed things up and thought you were talking about a new line of Gunpla.

EDIT: Speaking of new stuff, one site released its predictions for new kits this year, which has the givens like MG G-Self and Build Burning, but some hilarious and amazing as hell predictions like RG GM, Gouf, Hyaku Shiki, and Qubeley. Other gems are RE-1/100 Xi and Penelope and Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai. If Bandai is on half the crazy drugs they were last year, this could be an interesting time. :allears:

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 3, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

lilljonas posted:

I suggest snap building it first just to see where all the bits end up when in the two modes. It'll give you a better idea how you want to do the paint job. Nip and sand the nubs, but don't bother with paint or decals until you figure that out.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Finished the 7-11 Ball twins I got from MJP. Thanks again!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man this weekend is boring. I wish I had a kit to work on to pass the time, guess I'll just play KH2.5 and Xrd all weeken-

OH poo poo IT'S HERE

OH MY GOOOOOD.

LOOK AT ALL THAT METAL AND THOSE LEDS

Holy poo poo that is a lot of plastic.

:aaaaa:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hahahaha holy poo poo, have fun.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Man this weekend is boring. I wish I had a kit to work on to pass the time, guess I'll just play KH2.5 and Xrd all weeken-

OH poo poo IT'S HERE

OH MY GOOOOOD.

LOOK AT ALL THAT METAL AND THOSE LEDS

Holy poo poo that is a lot of plastic.

:aaaaa:

Haha I got one of these too, but I got the first edition preorder, which comes with LED Beamsabers and printed external armor with no sprues, but loses the metal V-fin. Probably gonna build some other stuff before it though, on account of it being HUGE and my gunpla building skills being rusty as hell (also, no actual printed assembly guide, instead it's got a DVD of 3D-renders being assembled).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

YamataNoOrochi posted:

(also, no actual printed assembly guide, instead it's got a DVD of 3D-renders being assembled).

:pwn:

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

It's got soldering too! Which is wonderfully represented! Somebody ripped the whole thing to youtube already, here's how the inside of the head goes together around an LED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB0aswZ9ywM

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, I don't think I mind it. It's really quite detailed, I think I like it.

Also, holy poo poo, I was worried about the plastic being kind of shoddy, but this is superb. It's better than Bandai's in some ways, I'm really amazed. Top points Mechanicore, I guess I will preorder your Deep Striker after all!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess I'll just wait for them to release something not hilariously huge.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

YamataNoOrochi posted:

It's got soldering too! Which is wonderfully represented! Somebody ripped the whole thing to youtube already, here's how the inside of the head goes together around an LED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB0aswZ9ywM

Oh my god, the dramatic music, the "Werrrr-Kerchack!" sounds, this is the nerdest thing ever. I'm cringing pretty hard here. :cripes:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Eh... only in the sense that they'll be sympathetic to the rank and file Zeon soldiers who are forced to put up with the bullshit from the monsters running Zeon high command. But that's a discussion for the Gundam general thread. v:shobon:v

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Do not watch 0083 Stardust Memory or AGE.

Stupid question: What's so bad about those two? I've been out of the Gundam series loop for a while (I last watched 00 back in 2010).

For a recommendation, I suggest watching 08th MS Team, it's pretty realistic as far as a Gundam series goes (the Gundams aren't exactly a one-man army, for example) but there's a love story so that might be a deal breaker. But it features Norris Packard and his and his amazing Gouf custom so that evens it out I guess.

I also hear Unicorn is good, but I haven't seen it (yet).

TARDISman posted:

EDIT: Speaking of new stuff, one site released its predictions for new kits this year, which has the givens like MG G-Self and Build Burning, but some hilarious and amazing as hell predictions like RG GM, Gouf, Hyaku Shiki, and Qubeley. Other gems are RE-1/100 Xi and Penelope and Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai. If Bandai is on half the crazy drugs they were last year, this could be an interesting time. :allears:

I was hoping for an updated HG Gouf since it's almost 15 years old at this point, but an RG sounds rad (also Gundam Guy predicts an RG Gundam Ground type!).

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Gouf R35 from Build Fighters actually uses a new frame so the may do a new HGUC Gouf.

Also, no joke, I didn't know how much I wanted an RG GM until it was predicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Stupid question: What's so bad about those two? I've been out of the Gundam series loop for a while (I last watched 00 back in 2010).

0083: Bad writing.