Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
This is the US lawyer's denial, we had the royal one already. The fact that other celebrities also get special treatment is part of the problem, it doesn't make it miraculously ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Can the beeb (or any outlet) do anything more than "person makes accusation" "accused denies claims" without opening themselves up to libel charges?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

This is the US lawyer's denial, we had the royal one already. The fact that other celebrities also get special treatment is part of the problem, it doesn't make it miraculously ok.

On the flipside, the fact that celebrities have to deal with much larger media interest (and potential for influencing the jury) is not ok either.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Party Boat posted:

Can the beeb (or any outlet) do anything more than "person makes accusation" "accused denies claims" without opening themselves up to libel charges?

No. They can't. They've reported that claims have been made. And they've reported that people have issued statements on them and what they are. As its a civil matter, they cant say charges as there arent any.

They also report on normal people 'strongly denying' crimes that make the news too, before we forget that.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It makes sense that they report on it, but I always love the use of "strongly deny" etc, as if anyone ever weakly denies it ("Nah, pretty sure I didn't do it!"), doesn't deny it at all ("I probably didn't, but who knows?") or admits it ("Well it's a fair cop, guv") when accused of raping a child.

The quote from the lawyer makes him appear to be a complete piece of poo poo, though. He basically said "well she's lied about something in her life, so this is definitely a lie too".

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Oh dear me posted:

"Defendant denies charge" is not often made into a headline, it seems to me. Bias is shown through the selection of stories as well as the actual writing.(Your use of 'outrage' would be an example of the latter.)

Defendant denies charge headline is so they can put up another story about it when there is almost no new developments. The story hasn't progressed at all, and unlikely will for many months/years to come, until then they need to find a way to keep talking about it without seeming to just be repeating themselves. That Prince Andrew has denied it, and now the lawyer also , which was obvious that he would at some point, is enough to throw up another article.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 3, 2015

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

they need to find a way to keep talking about it

Why? It's the BBC, they haven't the excuse of needing to sell papers.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Oh dear me posted:

Why? It's the BBC, they haven't the excuse of needing to sell papers.

I don't know, a feeling they should attempt to keep up with the other outlets? The independent have run 8 articles on the thing, the daily mail 12. Makes BBCs 4 look fairly tame.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Prince Andrew is head of the English freemasons too isn't he? Please don't tell me the pedo rings were all involving some secret society that would be extremely cliche.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't know, a feeling they should attempt to keep up with the other outlets?

I agree that the BBC thinks it should run all the same stories as commercial papers, but I cannot see a good reason for it (except that regurgitating tabloid crap is cheap, of course). It's not as if the British press has a good reputation, let alone a better one than the one the BBC is now pissing away. And of course given the rightwing dominance of the press it means that the BBC is following a rightwing agenda in its topic selection.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Oh dear me posted:

I agree that the BBC thinks it should run all the same stories as commercial papers, but I cannot see a good reason for it (except that regurgitating tabloid crap is cheap, of course). It's not as if the British press has a good reputation, let alone a better one than the one the BBC is now pissing away. And of course given the rightwing dominance of the press it means that the BBC is following a rightwing agenda in its topic selection.
What slant are you on right now?
This is the oddest, most contrived view. It's a public accusation of a crime against a member of the country's royal family. It would be reported on by every media outlet in any country in the world. It's news. I don't understand what you're complaining about.

You started with the completely dead wrong, nonsensical idea that news agencies don't put denials of allegations as updates to stories on their websites, now you're spinning it as "right wing agenda".

Then for the record, the BBC is probably the most respected news organisation in the entire world. Not saying the reputation is right or wrong, I'm saying you're pulling stuff out of your arse to make up a point.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Reminder that Prince Andrew helped arms dealers trade with the Indonesian government during the embargo on selling British arms there, and even after he knew that Hawk jets were used in the East Timor massacre. Whatever the outcome of this case, he's already been proven to be a very bad person.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster
Here's something I don't understand.

The denial came from Buckingham Palace itself, who were able to 'categorically' deny that Prince Andrew had sex with minors.

How does the palace know that? The only person who can possibly know whether it happened or not is Prince Andrew himself, so I don't see why they've got the palace denying the claims for him.

I mean, the whole thing sounds very plausible. What if it turns out he did actually have sex with the girl? It'll backfire on the palace.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Margaret Thatcher posted:

I mean, the whole thing sounds very plausible. What if it turns out he did actually have sex with the girl? It'll backfire on the palace.
He probably did. But he doesn't address the media himself, statements concerning the royals come from Buckingham palace just the same as "Downing Street" or "the White House" issue statements. They deny it outright because he's accused of being a sex offender, who knows if they've even asked him whether it's true or not. They don't care if he actually did it, they're never going to admit it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Hoops posted:

It would be reported on by every media outlet in any country in the world. It's news. I don't understand what you're complaining about.

I suggested (not an original suggestion) that the the selection of stories is an important way in which the news is biased. It is part of the way an ideological hegemony is created. You are replying that it is a hegemony. This is true, and it does not stop it being biased or ideological.

quote:

Then for the record, the BBC is probably the most respected news organisation in the entire world. Not saying the reputation is right or wrong, I'm saying you're pulling stuff out of your arse to make up a point.

If you read what I wrote a bit more carefully you will see that this agrees with what I said: the BBC's reputation is better than that of the press (which I suggested made its desire to take its agenda from the press questionable). Perhaps you don't think the BBC's reputation is declining at all, and I freely admit I was only going by the opinions of me and my acquaintances on that one, but obviously proof either way would need stats showing change over time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

it's tricky. "Person makes accusation" is okay but you have to keep the story pretty much to that single fact, so it's not normally a big story. "Person denies accusation" gives you a lot more leeway, especially as by definition you can't libel someone by reporting their own statement (as long as you do it honestly of course), so that'll tend to be the big story. It's why the "Make the sonofabitch deny it" story has such resonance.

Given the truly spectacular (but curiously vague) claims Jane Doe #3 is making about being abused by men other than Epstein and the way in which she's making the claims (in a lawsuit against Epstein on an edge case related to his prior prosecution, rather than in an an actual suit against Andrew or anyone else), I'm actually a little surprised that any of the press touched it, prior to the denial.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Oh dear me posted:

I suggested (not an original suggestion) that the the selection of stories is an important way in which the news is biased. It is part of the way an ideological hegemony is created. You are replying that it is a hegemony. This is true, and it does not stop it being biased or ideological.

If you read what I wrote a bit more carefully you will see that this agrees with what I said: the BBC's reputation is better than that of the press (which I suggested made its desire to take its agenda from the press questionable). Perhaps you don't think the BBC's reputation is declining at all, and I freely admit I was only going by the opinions of me and my acquaintances on that one, but obviously proof either way would need stats showing change over time.

You do know that the BBC is routinely blasted by both sides of the political spectrum for being biased in favour of the other, right?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Of course I do. I also know that it would be whatever it said and that the howls of party hacks don't prove a single thing.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Oh dear me posted:

Okay, so it's a discussion of whether selecting that this be viewed as a "news story" is valid or not. We're basically asking "is this in the public interest?". Short answer - yeah. A person who holds power and influence in society is accused of engaging in a serious crime. I have no problem at all with that being a lead news story. Wasn't your original complaint that the BBC were reporting the denial rather than the accusation though?

quote:

If you read what I wrote a bit more carefully you will see that this agrees with what I said: the BBC's reputation is better than that of the press (which I suggested made its desire to take its agenda from the press questionable)
What you originally wrote doesn't actually make grammatical sense. And to be honest, I need your second sentence here re-phrasing too. What are they taking "from the press"? Are you suggesting that the BBC are only running this because the tabloids are?

quote:

Perhaps you don't think the BBC's reputation is declining at all, and I freely admit I was only going by the opinions of me and my acquaintances on that one, but obviously proof either way would need stats showing change over time.
Deliberately didn't give my own opinion because it's not what I was talking about.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Hoops posted:

What are they taking "from the press"? Are you suggesting that the BBC are only running this because the tabloids are?
Okay, I think what you're saying is that as the rest of the press has shifted to the right in the current climate, the BBC are being pushed to do the same. But that's only relevant to this prince Andrew story if you accept that the reporting of it is somehow part of a right wing agenda. Which I don't agree with.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

would you prefer the good old days when the news media would ignore / actively hush up accusations of child sexual abuse against influential establishment figures?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

You do know that the BBC is routinely blasted by both sides of the political spectrum for being biased in favour of the other, right?

The problem with "balanced" news is that reporting on an issue in any way becomes FACT for most readers/viewers. They report that Osborne says "everything is so great, no one is unemployed". Now the story might report that "bla bla said 'no one is unemployed because the tories have just implemented their slave camp initiative, what a bunch of fuckers' but it's too late, people have read that everything is so great and no one is unemployed. A "balanced" article turns into Tory spin without any actual input for the Tories themselves just by how people absorb 24 hour news/web news/poo poo rag tabloids. I guess if you run the same amount of bullshit stories from a "leftist" perspective things would work out. But, now I might be out of line here, it's always appeared to me that outright lying in the pursuit of political power is a right wing staple. The far left gets tediously bleeding-heart/maoist-third-worldist-wildcard but the far right makes up stories about Muslim gypsies getting non-halal cream eggs banned by the Jewish mafia EU sharia court.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Regarde Aduck posted:

The problem with "balanced" news is that reporting on an issue in any way becomes FACT for most readers/viewers.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that there aren't problems with things like that. I thought Oh dear me's points were specifically about accusations of BBC bias, as opposed to whatever point he's trying make about the BBC's representation of the allegations against Prince Andrew.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Hoops posted:

A person who holds power and influence in society is accused of engaging in a serious crime. I have no problem at all with that being a lead news story. Wasn't your original complaint that the BBC were reporting the denial rather than the accusation though?

No, my original point was that bias can be shown in topic selection. I have asked why the BBC needs to cover this story for days (i.e. after 'Prince Andrew accused' was news). It was suggested that the BBC thinks it needs to cover the same stories other media outlets do (and there's evidencefrom inside to this effect, see Robert Peston's claims about the BBC obsession with the Daily Mail). I have argued that this is a bad reason to cover a story, since those outlets are worse than the BBC, and further that letting them drive topic selection will naturally cause rightwing bias. The constant harping on immigration is an example, I think.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 3, 2015

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Oh dear me posted:

No, my original point was that bias can be shown in topic selection.
Sure, but not in this case.

quote:

I have asked why the BBC needs to cover this story for days on end (i.e. long after 'Prince Andrew accused' was news).
I may be wrong but didn't this story break just yesterday? I googled "Prince Andrew" and can't see anything even from Thursday.

edit: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/02/prince-andrew-named-us-lawsuit-underage-sex-allegations

Says the palace was contacted on Thursday, so the papers got a hold of it almost certainly that day.

quote:

It was suggested that the BBC thinks it needs to cover the same stories other media outlets do (and there's evidencefrom inside to this effect, see Robert Peston's claims about the BBC obsession with the Daily Mail). I have argued that this is a bad reason to cover a story, since those outlets are worse than the BBC, and further that letting them drive topic selection will naturally cause rightwing bias. The constant harping on immigration is an example, I think.
My point is that this (and particularly about immigration) is a separate and unrelated issue.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 3, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TinTower posted:

In other Paedogeddon news, ]a Lib Dem councillor who got caught up in Operation Ore has been formally notified by the Met there is no case to answer.

Thanks for the update TinTower, I think I posted about this one a couple of months ago saying it looked like an uncomfortable 'trial by media'. The full story, in his letter published today (assuming no further facts come to light) is a real loving shambles. This man's life has been destroyed by this council. The bumbling police haven't helped matters either.

quote:

The Metropolitan Police have confirmed in writing that no images were found on my computer and that I was not charged because of a lack of evidence (the only evidence linking me to the offence was someone using my card and email address) despite the council’s claims that the lack of charge was due to a technicality.

The council said the illegal website was accessed from abroad but refused to give me the date this occurred.I have now received the date my debit card details were used from the Metropolitan Police.My bank records show that I was in the UK at the time and that I withdrew money from a cashpoint in London where I worked.It is therefore impossible for me to be guilty of what the council alleged as I would have had to have been abroad.

My bank has confirmed that my debit card was used fraudulently and that they refunded money to my account as a result.Confusion occurred when the police asked my bank whether any fraud had been reported on my CREDIT card.Not surprisingly, the bank reported (correctly) that none had as it was my debit card details which had been used fraudulently.The police list my debit card number as the one used to access the site, but erroneously labelled it as a credit card, sparking the confusion.Rather than trying to find out the truth, the council suggested the lack of fraudulent activity on my credit card proved I was a liar, despite the fact that fraudulent activity was clearly shown as reported and refunded on my debit card and that the card was used to access the site.

The police investigated two laptops.One was the computer I owned when arrested and the other was an old laptop which I had given to a friend.The council claimed these laptops had been destroyed by the police after the investigation.I have been able to prove, thanks to a statement from the friend, that this was not the case and the second laptop was returned to him after the police investigation had concluded.I was asked if I wanted to apply for my laptop back too, but it was obsolete, I had already purchased a new one and I wanted to put the whole episode behind me as I opted not to do so.

The evidence I have gathered over the past two months proves that I have been telling the truth all along and am entirely innocent.In the meantime, my reputation and my life have been destroyed.Of course the council has to take matters to do with child protection seriously, but when an innocent man is treated in such a way it is self-evident that their procedures are not fit for purpose.If they had given me the time to gather this evidence and prove my innocence instead of leaping to judgement and writing to local schools and organisations labelling me a danger then none of this would have occurred.When the police originally investigated this in 2006 they did not publicise this matter and I did not lose my job.While the experience was traumatic it did not cause me to lose my income or reputation as the council and media’s terrible handling of the allegations has this time round.

I will now be putting all the evidence I have received in the hands of the council and demanding an immediate apology.

Unfortunately, even though I have been proven completely innocent, my life will not be returned to how it was before the council did this to me.I have lost my cabinet job and my career prospects.The council, media outlets and individuals have made statements about me which were wholly false in both fact and implication and which have caused me immense damage.As councillors are not considered to be employees I cannot take the council to a tribunal to get my job or income back.I have no option but to consider action for defamation and I am in discussions with lawyers to do so.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hoops posted:

Sure, but not in this case.

I may be wrong but didn't this story break just yesterday? I googled "Prince Andrew" and can't see anything even from Thursday.

edit: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/02/prince-andrew-named-us-lawsuit-underage-sex-allegations

Says the palace was contacted on Thursday, so the papers got a hold of it almost certainly that day.

My point is that this (and particularly about immigration) is a separate and unrelated issue.

The Dershowitz story dropped on Thursday, UK media picked it up yesterday so it appeared in this morning's papers. The BBC didn't run the story until the denial because like I said they're on shaky ground legally given the way the accusations have been made

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The second Alan Dershowitz denied involvement, I instantly knew he was involved. I hope the woman making the allegations wasn't pushing for tenure.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

nopantsjack posted:

Prince Andrew is head of the English freemasons too isn't he? Please don't tell me the pedo rings were all involving some secret society that would be extremely cliche.

That's Prince Edward

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Party Boat posted:

Not unless they have some pretty bulletproof evidence as to which side is telling the truth, no. And it's quite right that they can't.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

mfcrocker posted:

That's Prince Edward

We have loads more princes than I suspected.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
But who is the Prince of this thread?

I nominate the guy who soiled himself at the train station. Or maybe Breath Ray.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

But who is the Prince of this thread?

I nominate the guy who soiled himself at the train station. Or maybe Breath Ray.

As the nearest we have to landed aristocracy, I nominate General China.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He strikes me more as a Viscount.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'd say a jaffa cake, personally

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Pretends he's in the biscuit class from his tax-reduced cake tower?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oberleutnant posted:

Masquerading as an honest working-class biscuit but secretly a spongey class traitor?

(I can't be mad at jaffa cakes they're too nice)

E:F;B

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

(I can't be mad at jaffa cakes they're too nice)

that's what people say about the queen you bourgie sympathiser.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

So what's a best case scenario from the election this year (apart from things like, say, The Rapture happening on the same day)?

No Tories.
No Labour.
No LibDems.
No UKIP.

...Monster Raving Loony Party revival?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BisonDollah posted:

So what's a best case scenario from the election this year (apart from things like, say, The Rapture happening on the same day)?

No Tories.
No Labour.
No LibDems.
No UKIP.

...Monster Raving Loony Party revival?

Best case semi-realistic scenario would be:

- LibDem wipeout, Labour wipeout to SNP in Scotland.
- Both Labour and Tories losing seats overall.
- At least ~30% of the popular vote going to minor parties
- Minority Labour government with a confidence and supply arrangement (but not formal coalition) with the SNP.
- Greens picking up a few seats (retaining Brighton and winning another 2-4 on a very good day)
- Slightly more dubiously, I'd like UKIP to get just enough seats to expose themselves as disingenuous asshats without gaining enough power to be dangerous.

• Locked thread