Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

I could have sworn they used to claim "lubricates", but I can't back that up, but they may have changed that line to what the modern can says "stops squeaks", and that's still implying lubrication in my view.
It's lovely of them but yeah, everyone should know by now it does not lubricate.
The line I posted is on the WD-40 website.

WD-40 posted:

Known as "the can with thousands of uses," WD-40 protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and lubricates just about anything.

WD-40 posted:

WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.

They also have a load of videos showing how it can be used to lubricate things.

So yeah, it's hard to blame people for thinking it's meant to do the job when they really push it on the marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I made the mistake of watching Wheeler Dealers while hung over the other day and even Ed China used it all over the place to un-stick some suspension bushes. Plus it feels slippery when you get it on your fingers and I guess slippery = lubricant is good enough reasoning.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Wally Joyner posted:

Eagerly awaiting baby's 1st knuckle buster, if you can make it that far.

How the hell do you get a knucklebuster reading a vin tag?

I seriously doubt the "they never tried to train me in the navy" claim, based on your absolute lack of effort or listening/learning ability showcased so well in this thread. Sell the car while it still moves and buy a 2004 champagne toyota corolla... with an automatic, if you want it to stay driveable for more than a few thousand miles.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

AI: "Don't eat motor oil."

I've used Rotella as cooking oil. Fresh engine oil that hasn't been inside an engine is not really toxic or harmful aside from a tendency to give you diarrhea in large doses (<250ml), nausea in extreme cases (>1L). Not to say that was in any way a good idea but in a pinch it worked and hasn't affected my health.
(I was camping, cooking with a cast skillet and spilled the container of vegetable oil I had brought. I had already read the MSDS and knew what I was doing and I totally didn't want to have to reseason the skillet. It actually didn't even taste bad)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 3, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

So yeah, it's hard to blame people for thinking it's meant to do the job when they really push it on the marketing.

It's not too hard to tell that it's a poo poo lubricant, my 12 year old brain figured it out pretty quick after I used it on all the bearings on my bike that it was a bad idea.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

It makes an angry grinding noise, but it works now!

Angry grinding noise being the give away there.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Have you done anything to the car yet? Also get a service manual because those have a ton of info.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Have you done anything to the car yet? Also get a service manual because those have a ton of info.

He's obviously out doing something on the car since everybody is berating him constantly about it.

Right? :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Larrymer posted:

He's obviously out doing something on the car since everybody is berating him constantly about it.

Right? :v:

Pretty sure he's busy trying to tunnel out of the well by digging down.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Pretty sure he's busy trying to tunnel out of the well by digging down.

This is definitely the correct answer

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Or his fan that he 'fixed' with WD-40 poo poo the bed and he doesn't have a computer to access the Internet with anymore.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

I'm no turkey-ass doctor, I'm a Turkey ASS Doctor!
Just chiming in from sunny old half burnt half flooded Australia. I too own a genuine Australian Nissan Motors Imported Z31 300ZX Turbo. My car is completley stock and runs. It had a couple of similar issues which were VERY easy to fix and is incredibly fun to drive for the 80's nostalgia. Your engine bay is a clusterfuck compared to who it should look. That is not a genuine turbo model and you really need to post the vin.

VIN Number Arrangement: JN1 C Z 1 4 S * G X 000101

JN1- Nissan Pass Vehicle
C- Engine Type: C=VG30ET(turbo) H=VG30E(non turbo)
Z- Nissan 300ZX
1- Model Change:(0-9)
4- Body Type: 2=seater 6=2+2seater
S- Restaint System: S=standard
*- Check Digit: (0-9 or X)
G- Model year: E=1984 F=1985 G=1986 H=1987 J=1988 K=1989
X- Manufacture Plant: Hiratsuka, Japan
000101- Vehicle Serial Number

Vehicle model code:

Position #: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Code: K H L G Z31 J A T U

Each position/character means something:
1. blank = standard roof; K = T-bar roof
2. H = VG30E engine
3. L = left hand drive
4. blank = 2 seater; G = 2+2 seater
5. model of car - Z31
6. blank = SF model; J = GL model; X = GL-L model
7. blank = manual trans; A = automatic trans
8. blank = non-turbo; T = turbo
9. N = Canada model; U = USA model; V = California model
So the car in the sample is: t-bar, vg30e, left-hand drive, 2+2, GL trim, auto trans, turbo, US model
http://z31.com/vin.shtml <-- get intimate with this

I've read the entire thread, everything you need is at length been posted in this thread. Get off your rear end and do something.

CHITTYBAR fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 4, 2015

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
He's in Chicago, right? It's like -10 degrees right now, I don't think the car will be doing much.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rectal Placenta posted:

He's in Chicago, right? It's like -10 degrees right now, I don't think the car will be doing much.

Just because its -10 doesn't mean its not gonna overheat.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I meant like start and/or move.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The urge to turn a wrench goes away super fast when it's this cold and you're fighting snow.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

Rectal Placenta posted:

It's 35 degrees (95f) today and im sweating my rear end off under my 300. No excuses.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I would totally rather work on a car when it's 95f out than when it's 5f out, cold makes everything brittle and lovely and every single whack on your hands hurts 3 times as much and you can't do anything precise because you're shivering

gently caress that poo poo unless you really have to

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Doesn't he have a garage? Throw a cheap wood stove in there, that's what I did when I lived in NY.

In FL during the summer good luck cooling a garage cheaply tho. It's easier/cheaper to heat a garage than to cool it.

And working on cars in the extreme heat or cold both equally suck donkey dick.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

Safety Dance posted:

The urge to turn a wrench goes away super fast when it's this cold and you're fighting snow.

rscott posted:

I would totally rather work on a car when it's 95f out than when it's 5f out, cold makes everything brittle and lovely and every single whack on your hands hurts 3 times as much and you can't do anything precise because you're shivering

As someone currently in the depths of frozen hell- this is the truth.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The one tiny cherry on the poo poo sundae that is wrenching in the cold is that you have easy access to snow when you inevitably smash your fingers into something.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

AI: Numbness can be a virtue!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

rscott posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. I'll happily go work and watch the sweat drip off my nose. It takes some serious motivation to go out to a frozen-rear end garage. The air is cold, the tools are cold, the parts are cold, fingers are weaker and slip off tools, hands blast off hard surfaces and hurt like poo poo, etc. I do have a (very) small ceramic heater that helps if I blast it right at myself, but cold garages generally suck.

Edit: Yeah, also that. VVV

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You guys talking about what weather is best for wrenching in this thread is pretty funny really because it doesn't matter if it is 60 degrees and partially sunny and someone's handing him tools, he aint doing dick diddly squat to the car.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

kastein posted:

You guys talking about what weather is best for wrenching in this thread is pretty funny really because it doesn't matter if it is 60 degrees and partially sunny and someone's handing him tools, he aint doing dick diddly squat to the car.

Goddamn i love this thread already :munch:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Pretty sure that's been a given for awhile now. Any talk of him doing any actual work is all hypothetical.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

Meanwhile, I've been (minorly) wrenching in this weather:

It took about three hours until I felt my toes. Should not have forgotten my boots in truck overnight. :doh:

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

kastein posted:

The truth. I cant comprehend how it's so hard for this guy. He doesn't want to sell it but puts 0 effort into fixing it. It's the most passive-agressive attitude I've ever seen in regards to working on a car lol.

FWIW OP: I know I wouldn't be alone here in AI to say/do this, but there are times when you need to call it and move on. I've owned awesome cars that I knew I couldn't work on for whatever reason and I let them go. It sucks because you have all these awesome ideas, but ideas require you to do poo poo, ideas also cost money and what I can gather is that you're not really in the business of 'making it rain' and are probably struggling, you're just setting yourself up for failure. You don't have tools, you don't have knowledge and you can't assimilate information handed down to you. It's been said on every page so far, sell the car, buy a beater, break it and fix it, learn, save and when the time comes and you have a bit of money, go buy something slick and fill your boots.

CHITTYBAR fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 7, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fact of the matter is, the OP at this point in his life living with his mom and working at a car rental place has no business driving around a rolling project, never mind the fact he has no clue what he's doing.

Lots of us are capable of handling a rolling project, but if I were in that situation it's the last thing I'd want to deal with. Gimme a dependable car with the least amount of operating costs until I get my poo poo together and then I'll start looking for a project. Having your only car being a basket case is a royal PITA, been there done that more than once.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Counterpoint: living with your parents and working at a job you can walk to is a great recipe for having a project car that can be in pieces more often than not, and if you're not paying rent you can dump a bunch of money into the project car. It's how I was able to engine swap my Impala three times while I was going to the junior college. Except the job was bike-range, not walkable.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Kind of starting to feel like either his laptop DID die due to his marvelous cooling fan repair, or he's taking a break/abandoned this thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He said something about a girlfriend in town, that's always a harbinger of redirected time, attention, and money. Would like to see what in the name of tools he got over the holidays though.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Not really.

Midjack posted:

He said something about a girlfriend in town, that's always a harbinger of redirected time, attention, and money. Would like to see what in the name of tools he got over the holidays though.

This is a major factor, in addition to the fact that for the past couple of days, it has been loving freezing as all hell outside and snowy/icy. Considering I don't have a heated garage to work in, there is no way in hell I am working on my car in below freezing temperatures when I do not 100% need it at this time.

Being really cold outside kinda cuts down on things.

Raluek posted:

Counterpoint: living with your parents and working at a job you can walk to is a great recipe for having a project car that can be in pieces more often than not, and if you're not paying rent you can dump a bunch of money into the project car. It's how I was able to engine swap my Impala three times while I was going to the junior college. Except the job was bike-range, not walkable.

This is indeed what I am finding is the case.

My plans essentially involve getting a new alternator belt and slapping it on there when the weather becomes not poo poo, and figuring out if I am going to need to do a pulley realignment. I understand that the ECU and knowing what the hell is going on there is indeed important, but at the moment, babysteps. Babysteps. A car that runs is my first goal, and right now, it's not gonna run.

Once I get the alternator belt on and figure out if I need to do a pulley realignment, I will look into the ECU and figure out what fuckery has been done there.

Once that is done, I am going to work on saving up for a new clutch and plop that in there when I get the chance.

That's the gameplan, and I'm sticking to it once better weather arrives.

Edit: Here's the VIN.

JN1HZ14S0GX147529

Editedit: Tools I got are a whole bunch of socket sets of various makes and a lovely multimeter.

I'm not happy about this. Good news is, 100$ Amazon gift card! I'm sure I can order some tools on there.

fishception fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 8, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's below freezing outside, when you topped up the coolant, did you use a coolant with antifreeze in it, as opposed to plain water? Because this is really, really important.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Editedit: Tools I got are a whole bunch of socket sets of various makes and a lovely multimeter.

I'm not happy about this. Good news is, 100$ Amazon gift card! I'm sure I can order some tools on there.

Ultimately, that's not a bad start. Having a complete socket set in metric and SAE goes a long way.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

InitialDave posted:

If it's below freezing outside, when you topped up the coolant, did you use a coolant with antifreeze in it, as opposed to plain water? Because this is really, really important.

YES! I DID! :D

I can't imagine freezing water inside pipes/tubes is good at all. Anti-freeze is kind of a necessary thing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

InitialDave posted:

For sure. Also if it was thinned with more water than 50/50, it is not a bad idea to drain a bit and add some in concentrated form. My for should be able to handle -45f since my last flush. :getin:

I spent over :tenbux: on that stuff you ingrate! :mad:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nope not a stock turbo, but I guess we knew that already.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

West SAAB Story posted:

For sure. Also if it was thinned with more water than 50/50, it is not a bad idea to drain a bit and add some in concentrated form. My for should be able to handle -45f since my last flush. :getin:

I spent over :tenbux: on that stuff you ingrate! :mad:

Not talking about yours, talking about what I got from family.

I always deeply appreciate gifts from strangers.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Considering I don't have a heated garage to work in, there is no way in hell I am working on my car in below freezing temperatures when I do not 100% need it at this time.

Pussy

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I've circled a few things that make your situations different:

• Locked thread