Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Dyna Soar posted:

i haven't paid much attention, but as far as i know there's hardly any info outside of a few concept art and what they said in the kickstarter campaign.

There's a fairly recent video available. It's got some environment art, dialog systems test, animation/engine test, etc.

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Has the Ironmadman thread been posted yet?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MegaGatts posted:

Mods
BG and BG2 mods, I have not tested these with BG:EE or BG2:EE, but I have heard reports that they work except for the BG NPC mod, and I don't think anyone has tried ascension for BG2 yet.
Is this still true? Which mods do / don't work with BG1/2, which ones are no longer necessary with the new extended versions, any mods that are specific to these versions?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Where the hell is Rose Bouquet? I can't find her to finish the skinner murder quest. Is this a bug in BG2:EE?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Is this still true? Which mods do / don't work with BG1/2, which ones are no longer necessary with the new extended versions, any mods that are specific to these versions?

Bg1NPC mod works now, though its technically in beta or something. I don't think ascension does yet unfortunately.

There's also this list, but it hasn't been updated for a year (threads still going though) - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list

Or you could just visit the 'Big' BG modding communities (Gibberlings3, Pocketplane, spellhold studios, i'm probably forgetting something) and see what they've bothered to update for EE.

quote:

Where the hell is Rose Bouquet? I can't find her to finish the skinner murder quest. Is this a bug in BG2:EE?

Should be right next to the Five Flagons.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I installed the tweaks pack to have some fun with the OP shapeshifter rebalance; AFAIK a lot of BG2/tutu mods work and the WeiDU installer will hold back on any that don't.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Comstar posted:

Has the Ironmadman thread been posted yet?

I'll do it if nobody else does, but I don't want to step on toes since the person who originally wanted to was going to go to the effort of spinning up neat banners and awards and poo poo.

But yeah, I want to make my halfling shadowdancer and his incredible saving throws.

My Totemic Druid on the iPad is still alive and ready to enter Baldur's Gate, but I'm kinda dreading the touch controls in all the houses and stuff so I'll probably just retire her.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The Pillars of Eternity thread is full of beta players impressions. Make sure to read the latest ones, because it's gone through several builds.

i read like, 10 pages back and it was mostly just in depth analysis of different skills and game mechanics in general. I'm more interested if it's actually shaping up to be a worthy successor to the IE games, like what Obsidian said they'll strive for.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Dyna Soar posted:

i read like, 10 pages back and it was mostly just in depth analysis of different skills and game mechanics in general. I'm more interested if it's actually shaping up to be a worthy successor to the IE games, like what Obsidian said they'll strive for.

It is! It is a beta with its bugs, but it is shaping up to be a really good game in the IE mold.

Although some are complaining that since everything does not play the exact same way, Obsidian and ropekid are the devil incarnate.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

kujeger posted:

It is! It is a beta with its bugs, but it is shaping up to be a really good game in the IE mold.

nice to hear. i'll be hopefully getting a computer that can run it soon, so looks like I'm back to being a gamer again.

kujeger posted:

Although some are complaining that since everything does not play the exact same way, Obsidian and ropekid are the devil incarnate.

I don't know what this means.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

nice to hear. i'll be hopefully getting a computer that can run it soon, so looks like I'm back to being a gamer again.

I don't know what this means.

Obsidian is the developer, and ropekid is Josh Sawyer, a long time goon, who is lead(?) designer on PoE. And people are complaining because I'm guessing some mechanics are slightly different than in original IE games.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

Obsidian is the developer, and ropekid is Josh Sawyer, a long time goon, who is lead(?) designer on PoE. And people are complaining because I'm guessing some mechanics are slightly different than in original IE games.

oh. well, IE games are definitely not perfect, far from it in fact. Sawyer was project lead on IWD2, wasn't he?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Hopefully DavidW can iron out the kinks and release SCS 29 soon. Can't wait to start playing again. :ohdear:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Dyna Soar posted:

oh. well, IE games are definitely not perfect, far from it in fact. Sawyer was project lead on IWD2, wasn't he?

Lead designer yes. He worked on Icewind Dale as well and was project lead and designer for Fallout: New Vegas

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
Inspired by Neera's quote about the PC turning against his heritage by going around the contryside murdering everything he came across, I tried to do a BG solo pacifist run with Lawniel, the Neutral Good Gnome Illusionist/Thief. I avoided side-quests that involved killing things (i.e. most of them) and generally didn't go to areas I didn't have to (except to collect all of the stat-boosting tomes).

I used Stealth, Invisibility or just running away to deal with enemies. Mulahey has to die for the plot to progress, so I used Charm Person on him which led to him being killed by his own kobolds. I joined with the bandits at Pedvale, then went into the camp without fighting anyone. I stealthed into the main tent, stole everything from the chest there and fled after drinking an invisibility potion without anyone there dying. I then used stealth and invisibility to get through the Cloakwood forest and mines. Davaeorn also has to die, so I used Algernon's Cloak to charm him (as he was immune to Charm Person), at which point he was killed by his two Battle Horrors. In the city of Baldur's Gate I did the various thieving (and retrieving the child's body) subquests since these don't require you to kill anyone. I avoided the poisoning subquest by not going to the lower northeast region of Baldur's Gate (but stole the tome of wisdom from the priest to use it). To go to Candlekeep, I went invisibly up the Iron Throne tower and stole the documents at the back of the top floor without fighting anyone. Once there I allowed myself to be framed and invisibly escaped the catacombs. I saved Duke Eltan by invisibly entering the Flaming Fist, talking to him to pick him up, then invisibly escaping. I used Algernon's Cloak to charm the assassin Slythe and pickpocketed the palace invitations and incriminating documents from him (I avoided the Iron Throne tower since you don't need Sarevok's diary to complete the game). At the palace I summoned a bunch of monsters as cannon fodder and used a Wand of Paralyzation on all the nobles that turn into dopplegangers but one. Once the fight started the troops quickly killed that one and then the other ones also died pretty fast as they were busy killing my summons and I kept hitting them with my Wand of Paralyzation. Liia also quickly died, but Belt survived. I confirmed that my summons didn't kill anything by checking that I hadn't earned any XP from the fight. I finally used Invisibility to sneak into Sarevok's temple. I repeatedly failed to charm Sarevok, so I ended up using a scroll of Protection from Magic, luring him to the central area of the temple where all the traps are, drinking an invisibility potion and then running around him to repeatedly set off the Skull Trap spell trap found there. That took him out without crediting me with his death.

Here are the final screenshots after Sarevok's death:

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Inspired by Neera's quote about the PC turning against his heritage by going around the contryside murdering everything he came across, I tried to do a BG solo pacifist run with Lawniel, the Neutral Good Gnome Illusionist/Thief. I avoided side-quests that involved killing things (i.e. most of them) and generally didn't go to areas I didn't have to (except to collect all of the stat-boosting tomes).

I used Stealth, Invisibility or just running away to deal with enemies. Mulahey has to die for the plot to progress, so I used Charm Person on him which led to him being killed by his own kobolds. I joined with the bandits at Pedvale, then went into the camp without fighting anyone. I stealthed into the main tent, stole everything from the chest there and fled after drinking an invisibility potion without anyone there dying. I then used stealth and invisibility to get through the Cloakwood forest and mines. Davaeorn also has to die, so I used Algernon's Cloak to charm him (as he was immune to Charm Person), at which point he was killed by his two Battle Horrors. In the city of Baldur's Gate I did the various thieving (and retrieving the child's body) subquests since these don't require you to kill anyone. I avoided the poisoning subquest by not going to the lower northeast region of Baldur's Gate (but stole the tome of wisdom from the priest to use it). To go to Candlekeep, I went invisibly up the Iron Throne tower and stole the documents at the back of the top floor without fighting anyone. Once there I allowed myself to be framed and invisibly escaped the catacombs. I saved Duke Eltan by invisibly entering the Flaming Fist, talking to him to pick him up, then invisibly escaping. I used Algernon's Cloak to charm the assassin Slythe and pickpocketed the palace invitations and incriminating documents from him (I avoided the Iron Throne tower since you don't need Sarevok's diary to complete the game). At the palace I summoned a bunch of monsters as cannon fodder and used a Wand of Paralyzation on all the nobles that turn into dopplegangers but one. Once the fight started the troops quickly killed that one and then the other ones also died pretty fast as they were busy killing my summons and I kept hitting them with my Wand of Paralyzation. Liia also quickly died, but Belt survived. I confirmed that my summons didn't kill anything by checking that I hadn't earned any XP from the fight. I finally used Invisibility to sneak into Sarevok's temple. I repeatedly failed to charm Sarevok, so I ended up using a scroll of Protection from Magic, luring him to the central area of the temple where all the traps are, drinking an invisibility potion and then running around him to repeatedly set off the Skull Trap spell trap found there. That took him out without crediting me with his death.

Here are the final screenshots after Sarevok's death:

And just when I thought I had seen it all in Baldurs Gate. That's pretty drat incredible.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
heh, p. cool. do the same for bg2?

the speed runs for bg2 and tob are pretty impressive, too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wow. Very impressive, to say the least.

I'm not sure if the same can be done for BG2...

Hmm.

Hmmm........

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

That's amazing

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
how long did that take btw?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

heh, p. cool. do the same for bg2?
I think I'll give it a shot in BG2. I'm thinking of avoiding any side-quests and principally trying to raise the 15K gold by going around robbing houses. Since I avoided killing things and doing sidequests, stealing from commoners was a major source of income in BG1 for my character as well. This also led to my solo character finishing the game with a total of less than 60K XP. My PC was also pretty under-leveled for much of the game. What made things difficult was that I had to rely on potions and the ring of invisibility you can buy from Ulgoth's Beard until I hit level 3 as a mage and could actually cast invisibility. And that only happened after I had arrived in Baldur's Gate and done some of the quests there.

Dyna Soar posted:

how long did that take btw?
I didn't keep track of the time it took, but it was pretty fast since I avoided areas that weren't important to the plot and just went past enemies without fighting them. Maybe around 10-15 hours?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Maybe you can use summoned demons to kill required enemies like Irenicus in BG2? Not sure if that counts as a kill.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Smol posted:

Maybe you can use summoned demons to kill required enemies like Irenicus in BG2? Not sure if that counts as a kill.
I don't think gated demons count for kills. For that matter, I actually think that shapechanging into an Illithid and Int-draining an enemy to death also doesn't count as a kill, but it would rather be against the spirit of the thing. Petrification or polymorph shouldn't count though. I might use those spells.

PS: I finished with Irenicus' dungeon. The Mephit Portals in the second level need to be destroyed before the doors in that room can be unlocked, so I had to use Dire Charm and get the mephits there to destroy their own portals. Otherwise I escaped without other creatures dying, with the exception of Illych who I charmed in order to pickpocket the dryad's acorns but who was then killed by his own followers.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

I don't think gated demons count for kills. For that matter, I actually think that shapechanging into an Illithid and Int-draining an enemy to death also doesn't count as a kill, but it would rather be against the spirit of the thing. Petrification or polymorph shouldn't count though. I might use those spells.

PS: I finished with Irenicus' dungeon. The Mephit Portals in the second level need to be destroyed before the doors in that room can be unlocked, so I had to use Dire Charm and get the mephits there to destroy their own portals. Otherwise I escaped without other creatures dying, with the exception of Illych who I charmed in order to pickpocket the dryad's acorns but who was then killed by his own followers.

I'm pretty certain that a Jester is a pretty effective way to avoid kills in both games.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

amanasleep posted:

I'm pretty certain that a Jester is a pretty effective way to avoid kills in both games.

Pretty sure that avoiding enemies won't be a big problem, even in BG2. The real problem is killing NPCs that the plot requires you to kill... without actually killing them yourself. While things like traps, charm spells or gated demons will surely be a big help, it's not really clear if that's enough to kill say Irenicus in his Hell form.

But then again, finding those loopholes that allow you to actually finish the game in such a dumb manner is the whole point of runs like this.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

amanasleep posted:

You just confuse everyone you meet into fighting one another? Can Bard songs be used while invisible? I went with Illusionist/Thief because it's easy to sneak around (both through stealth and invisibility) and deal with locks and traps with this combination as well as use magic to charm or immobilize enemies. (The fact you can use Identify is also nice, since this character is strapped for cash; though Bards do get that as well.)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah part of what makes Jesters actually playable is that you can sit invis and confuse poo poo. It affects everything other than undead too, though with a save which most enemies make pretty easily at higher levels.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ironman shadow dancer is dead. Thanks to the immunity to cold girdle Gorion drops, I just bring my main to face winter wolves. But in this instance I forgot I'd taken it off so I could face a squad of kobold commandos on an earlier map.

I remembered only a second too late.

I have no idea what to play now.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I feel ya. My ironman run just ended in the Candlekeep Catacombs. I can't work up the enthusiasm for another run yet, not after making it so far.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FairGame posted:

Ironman shadow dancer is dead. Thanks to the immunity to cold girdle Gorion drops, I just bring my main to face winter wolves. But in this instance I forgot I'd taken it off so I could face a squad of kobold commandos on an earlier map.

I remembered only a second too late.

I have no idea what to play now.

Wild Mage.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I really wish the Ring of Wizardry from BG1 was in BG2. Imagine all those level 9 spells you could cast as a Wild Mage.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Knew I'd been forgetting something. Ironman thread is up. Have at it.

(Here's the last thread, if anyone with archives wants a model to base their posts on.)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

I really wish the Ring of Wizardry from BG1 was in BG2. Imagine all those level 9 spells you could cast as a Wild Mage.
That would have been pretty broken. I guess the developers thought that doubling the spells for a certain level was too overpowered, which is why Rings of Wizardry worked like the Ring of Holiness in BG2 and just gave a bonus spell slot per level. (I like the fact that they had even reused the item code in the original BG2, so even if you cheated to keep it in or spawned another one you wouldn't have been able to have it.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wild Mages are hilariously broken once you get somewhere in the double digits of levels, and are slightly broken the rest of the time if you save and reload at a reasonable pace (starts of dungeons, before and after major battles). Something people overlook is that you add the character level to your wild surge roll and the good surges tend to be on the higher end of the chart. At the top it's mostly "Spell works normally and some other good thing happens" or "'Spell does double whatever it would normally do" type things.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Wild Mages are hilariously broken once you get somewhere in the double digits of levels, and are slightly broken the rest of the time if you save and reload at a reasonable pace (starts of dungeons, before and after major battles). Something people overlook is that you add the character level to your wild surge roll and the good surges tend to be on the higher end of the chart. At the top it's mostly "Spell works normally and some other good thing happens" or "'Spell does double whatever it would normally do" type things.
You only add your level to surges triggered by Nahal's Reckless Dweomer though. Plus, there are 100 entries on that table and the three really good entries (Spell casts at double effectiveness, Spell cast with -4 to target's saving throw, Spell cast at double level) thus have a 3% chance of coming to pass. A level 20 Wild Mage will only have a 20% chance to cast a spell normally without a form of Chaos Shield running when Reckless Dweomer is used.

And while the upper half of the table does admittedly tend to subject the target rather than the caster to unpleasant effects if a surge occurs, you'll often have your mage or party members be the target of spells. (Reminds me of the time I had my Wild Mage PC cast Stoneskin and got a "Flesh to Stone cast on the target" surge.)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Smol posted:

Pretty sure that avoiding enemies won't be a big problem, even in BG2. The real problem is killing NPCs that the plot requires you to kill... without actually killing them yourself. While things like traps, charm spells or gated demons will surely be a big help, it's not really clear if that's enough to kill say Irenicus in his Hell form.
The Bhaalspawn fights in TOB are going to be fun. I can't imagine how you'd do a pacifist attempt at Melyssan. Summoning a bunch of Planetars doesn't feel like it's going to cut it!

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I decided last week that I really needed to play through IWD2, it being the only IE game I had never finished yet.

I'm near the end now (just started chapter 6, killed the Lost Followers), and decided to look up the stats of my guys.

Support Beam, terror of the Ten Towns!

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

kujeger posted:

Standing there holding up that roof acting all tough. You showed it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kujeger posted:

I decided last week that I really needed to play through IWD2, it being the only IE game I had never finished yet.

I'm near the end now (just started chapter 6, killed the Lost Followers), and decided to look up the stats of my guys.

I do not know why I am so amused by this, but thank you for posting it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Double post separated by 4 hours:

If I cannot find my discs of Icewind Dale 2 I am guessing GoG is the place to go to get it? Any other suggestions?

Also are there any suggested patches out there for it? The endless maze forest thing about half way through was always a pain but I could get through it, and the 3rd or 4th level of Dragon's Eye always bugged out and I could never get past it (or I was young and an idiot and messed something up or got lost).