Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainAmazingPants
Jul 14, 2002

I'm just waiting for someone to respond "WHAT ARE YOU SOME KIND OF FUCKING IDIOT"
Was looking at the latest spoilers... Am I insane or is Flamewake Phoenix loving awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CaptainAmazingPants posted:

Was looking at the latest spoilers... Am I insane or is Flamewake Phoenix loving awesome?

I think the consensus is that it's going to see play

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Serious question: Why aren't more (read: any) people using Scuttling Doom Engine in this standard? It laughs at everything in Sidisi Whip with the exception of an active Pharika, forces Jeskai to use pumps defensively if they even want a chance of blocking it, and at the very least two-for-ones against every other card in the format except Pearl Lake, Silence the Believers and enchantment exiling.

Edit: And it laughs at Ugin. :v:

It's definitely underrated. 6 mana is a lot, and Hornet Queen is just a better card, but I'm considering a SB plan that boards out Queens and boards in Scuttling Doom Engines vs Doomwake decks. If you board in enough enchantment hate to keep them off an active whip, you can burn them out pretty well with a combination of Crater's Claws and Doom Engine.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
As for podcasts, we do a weekly (will be back on schedule next week!) MTG one on the main show I run.

You can listen to past eps here: http://bjgeeknation.com/category/podcast/magic-the-gathering-podcast/

3 guys. Me as a middle (I know the game, don't go to tourneys), one who has PT potential, and a noober. Casual BS, mostly, but we do get some names on from time to time. Marshall and Jesse (KillGoldfish) have been on.

Bonus: I'm a radio professional who uses the studio so it doesn't sound like a skype call in show!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I dig your show! Though I do have about 80 unlistened to episodes of Geek Nation in my queue now because I mostly listen to the Magic ones.

(How did no one bash The Librarians pilot? It was terrible!)

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
There was a brief mention of it, but Drive to Work with Mark Rosewater is one of the more important ones if you care about the game's history. His voice reminds me a lot of Ira Glass and I've already made peace with it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

legoman727 posted:

So, is there any reason to play anything except Red/X aggro or Jeskai this standard after FRF hits?

I refuse to give up Crackling Doom. Right now I'm liking Kolaghan and Brutal Hordechief on the higher end, and Battle Brawler on the low end, so I just need another really good one-drop that's red or white and a warrior so I can curve into a turn-two Chief of the Edge or 3/2 first strike Brawler probably.

My brother is debating on either Jeskai shenanigans or making a modified version of Kibler's Temur Aggro deck using some of the new Temur goodies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
There's no reason to play Standard after FRF hits unless you like playing Jeskai Tokens mirrors.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Angry Grimace posted:

There's no reason to play Standard after FRF hits unless you like playing Jeskai Tokens mirrors.

Well hopefully those go a lot faster than Abzan mirrors.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Well hopefully those go a lot faster than Abzan mirrors.

The biggest problem with tokens in my experience is that there's nothing that realistically fights it. The board wipes in general are too slow. Anger of the Gods is great if you can draw it, but if you don't you'll lose in quick order. And so far it just looks like FRF is going to make that deck better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

How do those tend to play out, incidentally?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

We haven't seen 2/3s of the set yet. Patience.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Won't people just play more Drown in Sorrows and Bile Blights?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Angry Grimace posted:

If this is true, I can't wait to stick Archfiend of Depravity in the sideboard. That, Doomwake Giant, and Drown in Sorrow are pretty good answers to token decks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, Jeskai is pretty scary, but people have the tools to handle it and can see the new Jeskai tokens coming from a mile away. Self correcting meta and what not.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Myriad Truths posted:

Yes. The guy at our store playing Tokens kept refusing to acknowledge the cards as a threat though. "2 spells is all it takes to ignore Drown in Sorrow" Said like the smuggest know-it-all prick you can imagine.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

There's nothing stopping them from doing that now, and the deck is pretty dominant. I'm trying out even more Arc Lightning and Drowns in my Mardu Control deck but I still lose a pretty decent chunk of the time to skilled Tokens players.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 3, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Angry Grimace posted:

There's nothing stopping them from doing that now, and the deck is pretty dominant. I'm trying out even more Arc Lightning and Drowns in my Mardu Control deck but I still lose a pretty decent chunk of the time to skilled Tokens players.

It's not like anyone can run enchantment removsl in a standard supporting 3 colour decks.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

So I havent played MTGO in over a year and before drafting I figured I would look at super nova bots so I know the value of stuff.

Why is Sengir vampire 4.5 tickets?

Is this a mistake? And if not are all my older editions just as valuble?

http://www.supernovabots.com/prices_0.txt

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's not like anyone can run enchantment removsl in a standard supporting 3 colour decks.

What? That deck definitely doesn't need Ascendancy to beat you, unless I'm not understanding you. Its not that answers don't exist, its the density of their threats backed up by Treasure Cruises to reload.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheAbortionator posted:

So I havent played MTGO in over a year and before drafting I figured I would look at super nova bots so I know the value of stuff.

I bet it's supposed to be soul of innistrad.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheAbortionator posted:

Apparently the M15 version isn't in boosters and you can only acquire it through intro decks in paper and in one of those deck builder's essentials bundles online, so it's printed rarity isn't representative of how rare it actually is. The older editions aren't worth anything since it's been reprinted so many times.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

What? That deck definitely doesn't need Ascendancy to beat you, unless I'm not understanding you. Its not that answers don't exist, its the density of their threats backed up by Treasure Cruises to reload.

It does for the "2 spells save my tokens" bit.

There's also Anger of the Gods, which is also good for exiling stuff.

I think I'd like a Blind Obedience effect somewhere in the block, to hamper Whip and Convoke a bit.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Erdos posted:

Do they drop more spoilers on the weekend or is it just Monday through Friday?

no columns on the main site but occaisonally they'll give preview cards to other sites or drop a new card on Twitter

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

I have yet to see anyone playing Jeskai anything, and that includes wandering around watching games when I have time. Maybe I just have some weird outlier meta where I play, maybe FRF will change that; but it seems to me like no one is really interested in adding that third color to their RW or UW deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was non combo Jeskai Tokens a big deck before Watanbe's Worlds list? (One month ago)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I have 2 Jeskai players at my store. The previously mentionned smug-prick running Tokens and my brother running a list similar to the original Tempo list.

We're looking into Soulfire Grandmaster as an in for his deck since it has a decent amount of Burn spells but it's price, right now at least, is dulling it's appeal. If it plummets we'll probably pick up a pair at least.

In the mean time I'll be raving after the Sieges, Khans, and Dragons because I feel I must have them.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Let the Jeskai Tokens players come. All that will be waiting for them is a Doomwake Giant :unsmigghh:

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Apparently the M15 version isn't in boosters and you can only acquire it through intro decks in paper and in one of those deck builder's essentials bundles online, so it's printed rarity isn't representative of how rare it actually is. The older editions aren't worth anything since it's been reprinted so many times.

Ah, this makes sense.

I knew it was too good/too nonsensical to be true.

Still 120 tickets in Sengir vampires would have been sweet.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
They just confirmed on the CFB stream that LSV is the new limited resources co-host.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kabanaw posted:

They just confirmed on the CFB stream that LSV is the new limited resources co-host.

And it's going under the CFB banner, so presumably it'll show up on their main page. That sounds pretty fantastic.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dack stole Sorin's face

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Please don't spoil the plot twist for the upcoming Dirk Fongo-centered block.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Niton posted:

And it's going under the CFB banner, so presumably it'll show up on their main page. That sounds pretty fantastic.

That's pretty awesome.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Dack stole Sorin's face

He really is the greatest thief in the multiverse.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This happened to Kenji yesterday, but with Elspeth's emblem being Venser's face instead.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

En Fuego posted:

As for podcasts, we do a weekly (will be back on schedule next week!) MTG one on the main show I run.

You can listen to past eps here: http://bjgeeknation.com/category/podcast/magic-the-gathering-podcast/

3 guys. Me as a middle (I know the game, don't go to tourneys), one who has PT potential, and a noober. Casual BS, mostly, but we do get some names on from time to time. Marshall and Jesse (KillGoldfish) have been on.

Bonus: I'm a radio professional who uses the studio so it doesn't sound like a skype call in show!
Every time I try to go to your site I get this error message:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
And another U/W Heroic player on stream doesn't understand how double Ordeal triggers work. This time Ben Friedman.

At least LSV and Stark were keen enough to catch it and alert the judge this time.

Edit: Actually it was 3 Ordeal triggers, ha! That's quite an illegal swing.

qbert fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

qbert posted:

And another U/W Heroic player on stream doesn't understand how double Ordeal triggers work. This time Ben Friedman.

At least LSV and Stark were keen enough to catch it and alert the judge this time.

Edit: Actually it was 3 Ordeal triggers, ha! That's quite an illegal swing.

Could you talk me through that? Something about multiple Ordeals on an attacking creature, and resolving their triggers? Or perhaps it swung with one counter on, and because it has 2 Ordeals they thought both trigger for counters, then both trigger for sacrifice and effect, when it's one single trigger, so only one is satisfied?

• Locked thread