Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

American goons, did they ever get into the labor strife we've had in this country in your high school history classes? I took AP classes and poo poo, and no one ever talked about the Battle of Blair Mountain or any of the labor movement really. Just a big label of "There be labor trouble here," slapped over the entire period.

Rural Kentucky School District made sure we knew all about the various forms of Yankee Oppression that have been visited upon our verdant Appalachian homeland, yes.

Glossed over the era when the urban labor movement got real traction and was used to mobilize political/social will for real progress, of course. The framework we got was more that the exploitative practices of the gilded age and the early 20th were a continuation of bad Reconstruction policies. Which is partly accurate but ignores the nationwide scope of the issue.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

;_;

There's only so much I can do. I can lead goons to culture, but I can't make them think.

If it makes you feel any better I feel kinship with your good intention, but I work in the public sector where people come to public meetings to openly worry about buildings being more than two floors tall...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rappaport posted:

Just read Stanislaw Lem all day every day.

Very yes. Start with the Cyberiad to ease into his style.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 will be the year that i read Gravity's Rainbow

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paranoid randroid posted:

2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 will be the year that i read Gravity's Rainbow

Why would you do that to yourself? I started reading it twice, gave up more or less in the same area. "Oh, we are making banana everything, let's waste pages on this", then some other boring stuff. Drop the stream-of-consciousness poo poo, Pynchon, you're no loving Joyce.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I read it last year via audiobook. There are good parts and there are parts that drag bc of lack of mid 1900s pop culture reference knowledge and I don't know if I would be able to get through it without someone else doing the reading because that way I was able to tune out during the parts that dragged on.

There is also a lot of people doing each other in hip and exciting new ways

e: why would you say "no james joyce" like that's a good thing. It was better than ulysses which was filled with even more referential horseshit. I don't want to have to have a degree in the Classics to be able to enjoy something because it relies so heavily on reference.

also in gravity's rainbow, the bananas were penises. the rockets were penises. parabolas were penises. everything was dick

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 3, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
haha you didnt even make it to the actually dense stream of consciousness stuff. farthest ive gotten that i remember is the scientist on the V2 base having a hosed up sex-roleplaying relationship with some people as Hansel and Gretel, and apparently that's still not even close to the weirdest part.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
slothrop detects incoming rockets b/c he was conditioned as a child to anticipate loud noises by getting a boner

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haha you didnt even make it to the actually dense stream of consciousness stuff. farthest ive gotten that i remember is the scientist on the V2 base having a hosed up sex-roleplaying relationship with some people as Hansel and Gretel, and apparently that's still not even close to the weirdest part.

slothrop detects incoming rockets b/c he was conditioned as a child to anticipate loud noises by getting a boner

Oh, ffs. Glad I didn't read farther than I did.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
the weirdest is probably either the coprophilia scene or the fascist pedo incest fantasy chapter

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't read a single book in 2015, and my 2014 readings didn't include a single 'good' book

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the nice thing about gravity's rainbow is it makes everything else pynchon wrote seem positively breezy by comparison. i knocked out vineland in like two weeks. i deeply appreciate his commitment to inserting song & dance numbers into his books.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

commitment to inserting song & dance numbers into his books.

I don't know why so many authors do this.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rappaport posted:

Just read Stanislaw Lem all day every day.

One can assume I've read the classics, thank you. I was hoping for something that'd tell me SF wasn't reduced to a dead Men's Adventure genre.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 3, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

American goons, did they ever get into the labor strife we've had in this country in your high school history classes? I took AP classes and poo poo, and no one ever talked about the Battle of Blair Mountain or any of the labor movement really. Just a big label of "There be labor trouble here," slapped over the entire period.

What you need to understand about America is that the history of labor strife was erased in a totalitarian mindwipe fashion, some were jailed, others were killed to prevent kids learning of it. It was more important to erase than any other history.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

One can assume I've read the classics, thank you. I was hoping for something that'd tell me SF wasn't reduced to a dead Men's Adventure genre.

Would the Invincible been better had Rohan been a woman? What is your precise criticism here?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

SedanChair posted:

What you need to understand about America is that the history of labor strife was erased in a totalitarian mindwipe fashion, some were jailed, others were killed to prevent kids learning of it. It was more important to erase than any other history.

Don't you know that MLK was never closely tied to labour, and that he never protested the Vietnam war?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Rodatose posted:

I read it last year via audiobook. There are good parts and there are parts that drag bc of lack of mid 1900s pop culture reference knowledge and I don't know if I would be able to get through it without someone else doing the reading because that way I was able to tune out during the parts that dragged on.

There is also a lot of people doing each other in hip and exciting new ways

e: why would you say "no james joyce" like that's a good thing. It was better than ulysses which was filled with even more referential horseshit. I don't want to have to have a degree in the Classics to be able to enjoy something because it relies so heavily on reference.

also in gravity's rainbow, the bananas were penises. the rockets were penises. parabolas were penises. everything was dick

i can't imagine reading it via audiobook. it get pretty dense at certain parts and the voice would just keep going while i try to process what i just heard

like with just about any decent book i sometimes read stuff and then look away and stare contemplatively. it would be weird for the book to just continue while i do that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

Do they still do that thing where they challenge each other to read a book a week and then count comic books?

I believe the term you're looking for is graphic novels. See, novels, right there in the name :goonsay:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rappaport posted:

Would the Invincible been better had Rohan been a woman? What is your precise criticism here?

Two different thoughts, sorry.
1: I've read the classics, including Lem.
2: I was hoping for something new that wasn't Space Opera/Men's Adventure Fiction.
You know, like A Fire Upon the Deep. Maybe something like Di Filppio. New author, new ideas.
Don't get me wrong, I like some Tom Clancy Plus Power Armor on occasion, but I feel the need for mindbreaking ideas.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i was gonna make a thread called "The Way to the End of the Goat: Mario Vargas Llosa Megathread!" in the book barn but it would probably get two replies

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Disinterested posted:

Don't you know that MLK was never closely tied to labour, and that he never protested the Vietnam war?

I'm pretty sure MLK was interested in labour activities as far as it concerned his numerous affairs' husbands leaving the house for work. :smuggo:

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

baw posted:

i can't imagine reading it via audiobook. it get pretty dense at certain parts and the voice would just keep going while i try to process what i just heard

like with just about any decent book i sometimes read stuff and then look away and stare contemplatively. it would be weird for the book to just continue while i do that
you can pause or rewind it a bit, I found myself doing that a lot too when it's a dense thing I'm interested in but not getting all at once

I just counted all the audiobooks i've read over the last year and a half, it's 68. though like 5-10 of those are only short stories or novellas so they shouldn't count. I could list them all in case someone sees a book they were thinkin about reading I can say more about it. I wouldn't want to just list them all offhand because it would be a large post.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 3, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rodatose posted:

I just counted all the audiobooks i've read
I've listened to a buncha songs on songlyrics.com.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I've read a bunch of Michael Chabon lately and this fact makes me feel oddly guilty for some reason

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah, it just winds up feeling vaugely self-indulgent, doesn't it?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The man cannot write an ending to save his life

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Neither can Neal Stephenson, of course.
(Which qualifies as Men's Adventure Fiction, really, most of the time.)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
not scifi, I'm finishing up East of Eden and The Cold Song. I'd recommend both

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Dr. Faustus posted:

I've listened to a buncha songs on songlyrics.com.

morrissey, the prince of good singing and words posted:

Why did you give me/ so much desire/ when there is nowhere I can go/ to offload this desire
And why did you give me/ so much love/ in a loveless world / When there's no one I can turn to/ to unlock all this love
And why did you stick me in / self-deprecating bones and skin
Jesus - do you hate me?
Why did you stick me in / self-deprecating bones and skin
Do you hate me? do you hate me? Do you hate me? do you hate me? Do you hate me?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

Neither can Neal Stephenson, of course.
(Which qualifies as Men's Adventure Fiction, really, most of the time.)

the last 50 pages or so of snow crash was like the only good part

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Morrissey's lyrics are very problematic, though.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ok I take that back. gentlemen of the road had an ok ending.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
morrissey's lyrics are hilarious and a good way to brighten up any rainy day

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

baw posted:

i was gonna make a thread called "The Way to the End of the Goat: Mario Vargas Llosa Megathread!" in the book barn but it would probably get two replies

mario vargas llosa more like mario vargas llosowns

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rodatose posted:

morrissey's lyrics are hilarious and a good way to brighten up any rainy day

He uses the word dyke and dislikes Oliver Cromwell, though. :colbert: (I only care about one of those things.)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

mario vargas llosa more like mario vargas llosowns

people kept thinking i was reading World War Z because i have this edition of War of the End of the World

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

baw posted:

people kept thinking i was reading World War Z because i have this edition of War of the End of the World

Ohhh, that's a nice cover.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i bought it in a book store somewhere, i think it was the second book of his i read after picking up The Way to Paradise at a book shop in Madrid. the barnes and nobles i've been to in the US haven't had the latter but it's still my favorite book of his that i've read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai6NlNs7kHk

i also like his nobel prize acceptance speech :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Guys

I had a culinary experience today

Olives on a dago beef. Olives!

E:

Lunch chat, tell me you wouldn't eat this