Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well goddamned it was like a WWII infirmary at my house the past few days.

Brother and his wife and their two children show up. Second brother and his fiance as well. Third brother has the flu so I direct him to stay at home. First brother ends up falling ill with the flu the night of his arrival. Quarantines himself but his adorable little 3 year old is probably the most lethal virus spreader ever. She'd apparently (unbeknownst to us) go snuggle up with dad and then come right out and kiss on my little 4 month old. They just couldn't get her under control. Well after two days he finally gets Tamiflu, starts to feel better, and now his wife and 3 year old both got sick. The 3 year old looked like pink eye, but they said sinus/flu. She had a bad cough. Second brother falls ill with severe congestion. All the while my wife and I, pretty lax about germs around our little one, are in full loving SHIELD HER FROM EVERYONE! mode. Everyone finally agrees to cut the vacation 5 days short and just go back to their respective homes. Which I feel bad because one is 6 hours (Dallas) and the other is 12 hours (Asheville) but drat...

They leave and we break out the lysol hudson sprayers. Get anything and everything. Then we go to the pediatrician where our 4 month old, who has had a mild cough for a week that got worse, turns out to test positive for RSV. Negative for flu so far, but they advise getting preventative doses of Tamiflu for her and both of us. So $350 later we're all Tamiflu'd up and taking temps regularly. Goddamn.

Then First brother just texts me that they are in an ER in Atlanta because the 3 year old is pitiful shape. Then texts back to say she may have pink eye. After we've already washed her sheets with our 4 month olds blankets.

At this point I think we're just gonna light our loving house on fire and walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BonoMan posted:

At this point I think we're just gonna light our loving house on fire and walk away.

Probably for the best.

And I here I was feeling guilty we got both the grandmas sick with colds during their visit at Thanksgiving. What you went through sounds like a living nightmare.

Happy Holidays!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

And I here I was feeling guilty we got both the grandmas sick with colds during their visit at Thanksgiving.

We've had an interesting Christmas holiday with my mum having a reduced immune response from undergoing chemo. We offered not to come since snot-dripping toddlers are basically Typhoid Marys at the best of times, but she said that it was absolutely out of the question, with limited time left she wanted to hang with her only grandchild, germs be damned.

So we did massive amounts of handwashing and tried to keep the slobbery kisses confined to other members of the family, and it seems we managed not to kill my mum with a random babyplague, yay!

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

BonoMan posted:

Well goddamned it was like a WWII infirmary at my house the past few days.

Brother and his wife and their two children show up. Second brother and his fiance as well. Third brother has the flu so I direct him to stay at home. First brother ends up falling ill with the flu the night of his arrival. Quarantines himself but his adorable little 3 year old is probably the most lethal virus spreader ever. She'd apparently (unbeknownst to us) go snuggle up with dad and then come right out and kiss on my little 4 month old. They just couldn't get her under control. Well after two days he finally gets Tamiflu, starts to feel better, and now his wife and 3 year old both got sick. The 3 year old looked like pink eye, but they said sinus/flu. She had a bad cough. Second brother falls ill with severe congestion. All the while my wife and I, pretty lax about germs around our little one, are in full loving SHIELD HER FROM EVERYONE! mode. Everyone finally agrees to cut the vacation 5 days short and just go back to their respective homes. Which I feel bad because one is 6 hours (Dallas) and the other is 12 hours (Asheville) but drat...

They leave and we break out the lysol hudson sprayers. Get anything and everything. Then we go to the pediatrician where our 4 month old, who has had a mild cough for a week that got worse, turns out to test positive for RSV. Negative for flu so far, but they advise getting preventative doses of Tamiflu for her and both of us. So $350 later we're all Tamiflu'd up and taking temps regularly. Goddamn.

Then First brother just texts me that they are in an ER in Atlanta because the 3 year old is pitiful shape. Then texts back to say she may have pink eye. After we've already washed her sheets with our 4 month olds blankets.

That was my house last year when my wifes grandfather brought home Norovirus.

Our little guy was 1.5 years old at the time, and was making GBS threads himself every 15-20 minutes. Doctors advised us to stay at home and hydrate with those freezies, he loved that and downed them like it was his last. He then puked 50% of it up, and it was still cold as it flowed over my body.

The next day my wife got it, and was a double ended hose for a few hours. I got it the next day and it was the most miserable I've ever been in my life. Lasted 3 days of just making GBS threads and puking, sometimes at the same time. A logistical nightmare as we also decided to get 2 of our bathrooms redone, and the toilets were JUST pulled out the day before my son got sick. I was an idiot and smashed them in our bin, so I went to home depot and bought an el cheapo toilet to install so we could both poo poo and puke in sweet isolation.

gently caress norovirus, makes you piss out of your rear end in a top hat.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

big dig posted:

gently caress norovirus, makes you piss out of your rear end in a top hat.

That was our family last week, I somehow managed to escape the puking but paid for it by having intense nausea and butt pee twice, the final bout on Christmas Day. My son coated half a bathroom in puke and my daughter got some on the only goddamn carpet in the house, of course. Needless to say we told the family that was coming to visit to avoid us at all costs, so tomorrow is our postponed Christmas celebration. After about a dozen loads of laundry and a thorough cleaning things are finally starting to feel like normal.

Probably the worst part is that the kids bounce back so fast so while the adults are exhausted and dehydrated the kids are bouncing off the walls and DYING to leave the house. There was much TV watching to keep them pacified.

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

Lyz posted:

That was our family last week, I somehow managed to escape the puking but paid for it by having intense nausea and butt pee twice, the final bout on Christmas Day. My son coated half a bathroom in puke and my daughter got some on the only goddamn carpet in the house, of course. Needless to say we told the family that was coming to visit to avoid us at all costs, so tomorrow is our postponed Christmas celebration. After about a dozen loads of laundry and a thorough cleaning things are finally starting to feel like normal.

Probably the worst part is that the kids bounce back so fast so while the adults are exhausted and dehydrated the kids are bouncing off the walls and DYING to leave the house. There was much TV watching to keep them pacified.

Yea, it was a terrible week indeed. It was also the only time I called in sick for work, and I work from home. I just couldn't do anything.

We also had the Ice Storm in Toronto that week, so it was a double blammo. I was making GBS threads out my brains and an oak tree feel on my house.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Gounads posted:

Have the talk with your parents and ask them if they want to. They might secretly be feeling hurt because you haven't asked and they really want to.

Seconding this - we live quite a ways from my parents but I was surprised to learn that my mom was sad that we hadn't left our kids with her more often. as long as they're not the unfortunate examples from the last page or two they'll probably have a good time.

Axiem posted:

This thread is always so amazing to read the day after a major family-gathering holiday.

:allears:

Yeah, although I'm honestly a bit surprised that the slant of posts has been so negative. My parents have their moments but are generally wonderful and helpful, use generally good judgement and don't spoil our kids. My wife's parents lean a bit more to spoiling but frankly we only see them a couple weeks a year so whatever. Guess we're just lucky. :shrug:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah, although I'm honestly a bit surprised that the slant of posts has been so negative. My parents have their moments but are generally wonderful and helpful, use generally good judgement and don't spoil our kids. My wife's parents lean a bit more to spoiling but frankly we only see them a couple weeks a year so whatever. Guess we're just lucky. :shrug:

I think it is just that the negative bias comes from people wanting to vent about stuff that annoys them. People who don't have problems don't really feel the need to make sure everybody knows.

AKA: No news is good news

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

flowinprose posted:

I think it is just that the negative bias comes from people wanting to vent about stuff that annoys them. People who don't have problems don't really feel the need to make sure everybody knows.

AKA: No news is good news

Yeah, so let's tell positive family Christmas stories. I don't have a particularly memorable one to start off with, just generally pleasant times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My entire family on my and my wife's side caught flu except for me, and I feel like they are mad at me for not getting sick.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I managed to keep from catching a cold until the day after all the Christmas festivities. Only now my sinuses feel like they're going to explode, and my son has suddenly become obsessed with wanting to give me a kiss on the cheek while I'm trying to avoid getting my cooties all over all his things. Normally, he's not particularly keen on too much physical contact, so of course he pulls a complete 180 when I am feeling like death warmed over.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Our holiday was great, aside from our son not sleeping quite as well as usual at his grandparents'.

Now that my supply is going down, however, he's decided he won't take any formula at all, despite the fact that he's been drinking it his whole life, and half the time he won't take thawed breastmilk either. :(

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Count me in the "has an awesome family and had a great holiday" camp. My family traveled here to spend the holiday with us, which is a 2-day drive for them. So I had my parents in the guest room, my sister on my couch, and my Uncle Jim had a hotel room. My husband taught my uncle (who is in his 60's) how to play M:TG which was fun to watch.

Unrelated, but OMG puberty has really kicked in for Sofia. She loving STINKS. If she doesn't shower every day it starts smelling like I have a 5-foot gym sock walking around my house. God drat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Gah. So much spit up. We're at four and a half months which is the peak age for spitting up apparently. Yesterday was like... 10 times. Two or three were quite large. She was happy as a clam and laughing the whole time she ruined like 5 of my wife's shirts!

But actually she's getting RSV so I think most of the spit up is coming because of the drainage that she's probably swallowing. We're on the downhill side of it now though thank god.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Gah. So much spit up. We're at four and a half months which is the peak age for spitting up apparently. Yesterday was like... 10 times. Two or three were quite large. She was happy as a clam and laughing the whole time she ruined like 5 of my wife's shirts!

But actually she's getting RSV so I think most of the spit up is coming because of the drainage that she's probably swallowing. We're on the downhill side of it now though thank god.

I remember that age being right about when I was broken by the spit up. I just wanted it to stop. Thankfully it does taper off right about then but it's a long time to keep dealing with it constantly.

For my kid anyway. I know some are more spitty than others.

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain
We're at 4 and a half months and it's a spit-up fest here, too. One or two gushers a day and the rest are just enough liquid to be annoying. I've learned to tip the little guy towards the floor when I sense an uprising -- easier to wipe puddles off of wood (if the cats don't lick it up first).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone had any experience with toddlers who suddenly don't want to play, or even really interact with people they used to? My just-turned-2 son used to be really friendly towards everyone (once he got used to them) but all of a sudden he doesn't want to say hi or play or anything. In fact, when people other than maybe 4 or 5 of his 'favourite' talk to him he gets irritated.

He'll play just fine with me and my wife, his cousin and my wife's Mum, but beyond that he suddenly seems really sullen. Is this normal, and just another phase that will eventually pass?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Bardeh posted:

Is this normal, and just another phase that will eventually pass?

How long has this been going on? And how long does it take him to get out of his bad mood?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VorpalBunny posted:

How long has this been going on? And how long does it take him to get out of his bad mood?

A couple of weeks, if I had to put a number to it. Usually he'll come out of the bad mood once I take him to do whatever it is that he actually wants to do. Like, my wife's friend will come to visit - he used to love playing with her, would rush to the door when she arrived. But now, he wants to play with his diggers or his blocks or whatever, and anything and anyone that isn't what he wants to do right then he's just not interested.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Bardeh posted:

A couple of weeks, if I had to put a number to it. Usually he'll come out of the bad mood once I take him to do whatever it is that he actually wants to do. Like, my wife's friend will come to visit - he used to love playing with her, would rush to the door when she arrived. But now, he wants to play with his diggers or his blocks or whatever, and anything and anyone that isn't what he wants to do right then he's just not interested.
This phase is called "two", and it usually ends around four.

It has varying degrees of infection, varying based on the phases of the moon, the time of day, and the possibility that a visitor is holding an ice cream cone.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

photomikey posted:

It has varying degrees of infection, varying based on the phases of the moon, the time of day, and the possibility that a visitor is holding an ice cream cone.

I think my 3 year old has a bad case of this. Is it infectious? Should I keep him away from his younger brother?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

sullat posted:

I think my 3 year old has a bad case of this. Is it infectious? Should I keep him away from his younger brother?

Younger / older brothers are usually but not always carriers of a counter-virus and can often cause two year olds to stop sucking as bad. Ymmv

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Marchegiana posted:

Unrelated, but OMG puberty has really kicked in for Sofia. She loving STINKS. If she doesn't shower every day it starts smelling like I have a 5-foot gym sock walking around my house. God drat.

And try getting a young teenager to shower... or brush their hair, or teeth, without being constantly reminded. I swear my daughter never would if I didn't tell her to. It's gonna be fun in 3 months with a new baby and me preoccupied a lot. My 13 year old is going to probably never come out of her landslide of a bedroom :)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

Two years of this :cry:

Also, he woke up this morning with gummy eyes so it looks like he's got conjunctivitis. :(

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 4, 2015

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Two years of this :cry:
IMHO the worst part was not the length of time it lasted, but the randomness.

Sometime along the lines of:

When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE? HOW COULD YOU LEAVE ME WITH HER? WHAT KIND OF PARENT ARE YOU ANYWAY???

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

photomikey posted:

IMHO the worst part was not the length of time it lasted, but the randomness.

Sometime along the lines of:

When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? When can babysitter come over? WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE? HOW COULD YOU LEAVE ME WITH HER? WHAT KIND OF PARENT ARE YOU ANYWAY???

It's even more fun when it's a parent who's wanted! "Daddy come home? Daddy drive all the way home? HUG DADDY HUG DADDY HUG DADDY :tizzy:" *his father comes home* "HUG MOMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYY :cry:"
I mean it's nice to be wanted, but I'd rather he want my hugs when his dad's at work, so he's not wailing in dismay, and his dad's when his dad's home...

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
What used to be a few times of sending my 3 year old son back to his bed with the reminder that it's bedtime has turned into a 2+ hour nightmare on some nights. I practically have to hold him down on his bed if I want him to stay in it, and then if I don't sit there until he's sound asleep the slightest noise will start the cycle again. The phase either started when I took his little brother to the er a couple of months ago or when he got the croup last month. I get the impression that he's afraid I'm going to leave in the middle of the night again. My inlaws had him in a crib over Christmas so that didn't really help. Any advice?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Our 2.5 year old has an attic door in his room. He's begun asking a lot of questions about where that door goes.

Inside, is what I assume is the stuff of toddler nightmares -- cold, dark, blown in insulation everywhere, wires, cobwebs. Now, we have to figure out when the right time to show him is. It's a balance between him being afraid of the unknown behind the door, or potential fear from a scary looking place.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

McStabby posted:

What used to be a few times of sending my 3 year old son back to his bed with the reminder that it's bedtime has turned into a 2+ hour nightmare on some nights. I practically have to hold him down on his bed if I want him to stay in it, and then if I don't sit there until he's sound asleep the slightest noise will start the cycle again. The phase either started when I took his little brother to the er a couple of months ago or when he got the croup last month. I get the impression that he's afraid I'm going to leave in the middle of the night again. My inlaws had him in a crib over Christmas so that didn't really help. Any advice?

Get him a toddler alarm clock. It worked wonders for our kid, once we explained the rules for sleeping and stuck to them.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Gounads posted:

Our 2.5 year old has an attic door in his room. He's begun asking a lot of questions about where that door goes.

Inside, is what I assume is the stuff of toddler nightmares -- cold, dark, blown in insulation everywhere, wires, cobwebs. Now, we have to figure out when the right time to show him is. It's a balance between him being afraid of the unknown behind the door, or potential fear from a scary looking place.

Jesus christ, I'm 30 years old and I'd be afraid of that door. Our kids room has a door that opens onto the back stairs, and I have a secret irrational fear that someone (or something :cry:) will open it and steal her away without a sound in the middle of the night, so whenever we've used it, I always double-check at bedtime that it's locked. Good luck with your nightmare door of horrors!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Just hang a person sized toy clown in there, then it will seem like a happy place :classiclol:

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Volmarias posted:

Get him a toddler alarm clock. It worked wonders for our kid, once we explained the rules for sleeping and stuck to them.

We have one of those and he doesn't seem to give a poo poo about it. He knows that the sun turns into a star when it's time for bed but he doesn't relate it to him going to bed.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
On the sleep topic, how do we get our newborn to sleep in the cosleeper? If she cries and wakes up in the cosleeper is that a terrible thing if it's short term (like 5mins)? Does that traumatize our kid, or is that okay?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

McStabby posted:

We have one of those and he doesn't seem to give a poo poo about it. He knows that the sun turns into a star when it's time for bed but he doesn't relate it to him going to bed.

One thing to try is to tell him the first time "It's time to sleep now, when it's (whatever the clock shows for daytime) then it's time to come out and play." and herd him back into bed. Every single time after that for the night, just walk him slowly back to bed, and don't say anything or make eye contact. The idea is that he'll eventually get bored and give up.

You have to stick with it, though, and it will probably take a few nights to really start working. It's what worked for us.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

On the sleep topic, how do we get our newborn to sleep in the cosleeper? If she cries and wakes up in the cosleeper is that a terrible thing if it's short term (like 5mins)? Does that traumatize our kid, or is that okay?

Ours would not sleep in the co sleeper for the first month. We had to get one of these. http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-deluxe-newborn-rock-n-play-sleeper-my-little-snugamonkey/-/A-14069814

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alterian posted:

Ours would not sleep in the co sleeper for the first month. We had to get one of these. http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-deluxe-newborn-rock-n-play-sleeper-my-little-snugamonkey/-/A-14069814

That thing was the best. I'd get every new parent one of those and a nose frida.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You can't really "get" newborns to do anything, and realising that helped me tremendously when we had an infant. That said, you don't have to leap to the rescue and change everything up at the slightest squeak. If crying by itself traumatized infants, they'd all be damaged, but there is a big difference between crying all alone and crying while being soothed by a parent.
But if after repeated tries she doesn't like her cosleeper, then, well, you can't really make her :)

(Also, I'm loving the monkeybed description: "[...]an ultra-plush monkey head rest [are] just what baby needs to feel relaxed and secure" :v:)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
More sleep chat: inconsolable crying. Tried back patting, back rub, picking up, and rocking. Nothing worked. He had to cry it out which was another 45 minutes of agony. Ugh. 6.5 months old for reference.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.

Thwomp posted:

More sleep chat: inconsolable crying. Tried back patting, back rub, picking up, and rocking. Nothing worked. He had to cry it out which was another 45 minutes of agony. Ugh. 6.5 months old for reference.

We've been having a few bouts of this with our 4.5 month old. In his case, I think he's just being extra sensitive since he's teething - if we miss his early nap/sleep cues he now goes into nuclear meltdown. It doesn't help that my milk supply is going down (as planned) and he's suddenly decided that all formula and most thawed breastmilk is unacceptable. Stopping exclusive pumping was supposed to be LESS stressful, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Thwomp posted:

It happens. Our younger boy was around 9 months before he really got the hang of self soothing himself to sleep and stopped waking up over night. Our little guy is/was an eater also. Little dude is 18 months and 31.5 pounds. My 3.5 year old is 34 pounds.