Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I'm still getting the bug where the last read post sticks in the bookmarks tab as unread for a bit. Seems to happen more if it's the first post on a new page if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

theadder posted:

Any plans for a 'delete cache' button? Being able to reset the performance of the app (as this process always seems to do) would be convenient without having to log out every time.

The next version moves incrementally closer, periodically clearing out everything that's at least a week old. Long term I'd like a delete cache button but I've no plans yet to actually get around to it.

Baram posted:

I'm still getting the bug where the last read post sticks in the bookmarks tab as unread for a bit. Seems to happen more if it's the first post on a new page if that helps.

This is fixed in the next version, just gotta hold tight!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

pokeyman posted:

It probably happened because the list was refreshing, and the threads moved around between the time you started pressing and the time it registered as a long press. I'll have the crash log in any case so I can see what's up.

Moving works consistently for me but I see what you mean about removal, I'll check it out.

It happened consistently 5 or 6 times on the same thread. I tried a different thread in the same subforum and it repeated a couple times more. It was the sticky in Haus of Tech Support. Afterward, I came in here to post about it and then suddenly everything worked again.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vegastar posted:

It happened consistently 5 or 6 times on the same thread. I tried a different thread in the same subforum and it repeated a couple times more. It was the sticky in Haus of Tech Support. Afterward, I came in here to post about it and then suddenly everything worked again.

Oh ok, that does sound like something else. I'll take a look!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

The next version moves incrementally closer, periodically clearing out everything that's at least a week old. Long term I'd like a delete cache button but I've no plans yet to actually get around to it.

Comedy option: run the logout path but preserve the session key?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Comedy option: run the logout path but preserve the session key?

Yeah that would work.

I mean, I can drone on about what's stopping me from just adding an "Empty Cache" button, but it's super boring. It'll come.

edit: If anyone's looking at the GitHub repo and wondering why there's a "redo composition" branch, it's because untangling that code to allow for an "empty cache" button looked impossible.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 18, 2014

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Hey, I managed to grab a log from right after my bookmarks pulled the vanishing act and sent it over.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cool, I'll take a look!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
This is actually a not-beta related bug. Video links are a coin flip as to whether they will let me escape or not.

I will click on a video link, then on the new page, click on the video itself. It starts playing (swaps to full screen automatically) but about 50% of the time I can get out of the video. Hitting done or the resize button does nothing. At first I thought it had to do with locking the phone mid-video, but have since had it happen after just watching 10-15 seconds of a video. Whether the video is playing, paused or just ended also seems to have no particular relevance. If I close out the app, it will reload itself on the page outside the video. Not really able to narrow down what causes it unfortunately.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's pretty weird, sorry about that. The movie playback stuff is surprisingly opaque. I'll make a note to take a look though, maybe Awful's being particularly unhelpful.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think that's actually an OS bug. I've been getting it in Safari a lot lately.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, an observation on the disappearing bookmarks - it seems to only happen when my phone gets really weak, then no signal. I had it happen several times tonight while I was at work and it always happened after I lost signal while stocking our cooler (where signal drops to nil quickly).

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Serifina posted:

So, an observation on the disappearing bookmarks - it seems to only happen when my phone gets really weak, then no signal. I had it happen several times tonight while I was at work and it always happened after I lost signal while stocking our cooler (where signal drops to nil quickly).

I've had it happen when I've got full strength signal.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Diabolik900 posted:

I think that's actually an OS bug. I've been getting it in Safari a lot lately.

I haven't noticed it in safari yet but when I use the chrome browser it does seem quite shaky with resizing and orientation swapping.

I noticed the most problems with the awful app but haven't paid close attention to what I use most often to view videos. Additionally, ever type of problem seems to be unique. I think I use the YouTube app most often for video and I don't remember having issues with it since going to the 6. Awful app is probably second. But I would lean toward it being a phone/version problem most likely. Just thought I would mention it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ugato posted:

I haven't noticed it in safari yet but when I use the chrome browser it does seem quite shaky with resizing and orientation swapping.

I noticed the most problems with the awful app but haven't paid close attention to what I use most often to view videos. Additionally, ever type of problem seems to be unique. I think I use the YouTube app most often for video and I don't remember having issues with it since going to the 6. Awful app is probably second. But I would lean toward it being a phone/version problem most likely. Just thought I would mention it.

And I'm happy that you did mention it, even if I see little chance of actually fixing it!

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Been thinking it would be a good idea for a while now, I either keep forgetting to post here about it or forgot whether I already did.

Anyway:
A search feature (as in ctrl+f) would be great. Maybe it could be slipped in to that section in the lower right with Rate Thread, Link a Thread, etc.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

After experimenting, I've discovered that you can only load new pages of threads in bookmarks/forums if you refresh the current page first. No idea why this might be the case, but hope it helps!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I want to be able to flick away pictures I've opened like on tweetbot.

"Make it so" -John Luke Picard

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

put awfulpedia in the app

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

also I said this before but I wanna be able to double tap to zoom an image while in image viewing view

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

PleasureKevin posted:

This is a suggestion that sounds awesome and I can't believe I haven't thought of it before.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ugato posted:

This is actually a not-beta related bug. Video links are a coin flip as to whether they will let me escape or not.

I will click on a video link, then on the new page, click on the video itself. It starts playing (swaps to full screen automatically) but about 50% of the time I can get out of the video. Hitting done or the resize button does nothing. At first I thought it had to do with locking the phone mid-video, but have since had it happen after just watching 10-15 seconds of a video. Whether the video is playing, paused or just ended also seems to have no particular relevance. If I close out the app, it will reload itself on the page outside the video. Not really able to narrow down what causes it unfortunately.

Same here! IPhone 5s, latest iOS.

I click on the link, it takes me to YouTube, I play the video.

Normally I could click DONE and it'd take me back to the awful app. However, clicking DONE does nothing and I have to force quit the awful app. Sometimes when I enter awful again, it will take me to the bookmarks tab, and others it will take me right back to the thread with the link I clicked on to bring me to YouTube.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

FreshFeesh posted:

This is a suggestion that sounds awesome and I can't believe I haven't thought of it before.

Eh it seems like no one really updates it much anymore.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

If i cancel out of posting or editing I get this a lot.

It persists until I force close the app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fartmaster posted:

Been thinking it would be a good idea for a while now, I either keep forgetting to post here about it or forgot whether I already did.

Anyway:
A search feature (as in ctrl+f) would be great. Maybe it could be slipped in to that section in the lower right with Rate Thread, Link a Thread, etc.

That's a good call. I think that's come up before too. I don't really want to write that feature, but if someone does... it'd mostly be JavaScript, if that sways anyone.

Kaethela posted:

After experimenting, I've discovered that you can only load new pages of threads in bookmarks/forums if you refresh the current page first. No idea why this might be the case, but hope it helps!

I think I've fixed this for the next beta.

Pissflaps posted:

I want to be able to flick away pictures I've opened like on tweetbot.

"Make it so" -John Luke Picard

I can throw it on the list! And I think "Make it so" comes from the WarCraft II cheat codes list? Maybe check your source.

PleasureKevin posted:

That's been on the list for ages and I think it's a great idea, just need to get 'er done. Keep bugging me until it's done!

Bum the Sad posted:

Eh it seems like no one really updates it much anymore.

I've seen recent updates on the occasional article. It's certainly worth getting into the app sometime. I've also thought about adding a menu item to it when you highlight a known SAclopedia entry in a post. (I'd rather just expand the default iOS dictionary thinger but I don't think that's public API.)

Brain Curry posted:

If i cancel out of posting or editing I get this a lot.

It persists until I force close the app.

That is just excellent :(

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
How the gently caress do I search on this loving thing?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kontradaz posted:

How the gently caress do I search on this loving thing?

On the app? Search isn't implemented.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Search on the site doesn't work for most purposes anyway and there is new search coming so there's no reason to put it in the app yet.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I still get crashes everytime I hit the "copy or share link" option on any post.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone in beta had issues where when returning to the bookmark screen you just get a black empty SA page. And nothing happens until you forceclose the app...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I had to stop using the beta awhile ago.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone in beta had issues where when returning to the bookmark screen you just get a black empty SA page. And nothing happens until you forceclose the app...

Happens almost every time for me.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Brain Curry posted:

Happens almost every time for me.

It doesn't happen if I exit the app on the bookmark screen

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bit of an esoteric issue, but it's a real bad one. If the current beta crashes while you're in the browser, it'll open back up to a completely blank screen. Blue bar on top, no text, no buttons, no way of navigation at all. Force-closing the app and re-opening it at this stage typically does nothing. I got lucky once and was able to get back into it, the second time I had to reinstall the App Store version. Should've taken a screenshot but didn't think of it at the time.

No idea if this is in any way fixable, but when it happens it completely breaks the app.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A thought: Would it be possible to add a feature where you can skip posts quickly? There are some posts that are long as a motherfucker that quote previous long posts to boot and it would be great to be able to quickly jump over them by, maybe, double tapping the lower part of the screen or something.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

nwin posted:

Same here! IPhone 5s, latest iOS.

I click on the link, it takes me to YouTube, I play the video.

Normally I could click DONE and it'd take me back to the awful app. However, clicking DONE does nothing and I have to force quit the awful app. Sometimes when I enter awful again, it will take me to the bookmarks tab, and others it will take me right back to the thread with the link I clicked on to bring me to YouTube.

So to add a little more to this and hopefully strike a chord somewhere, two things that correlate noticeably with this issue:

If the phone is locked mid-playback then I won't be able to exit the full screen mode of the video. At least with YouTube links. I won't say it happens 100% of the time because I swear I've locked the phone and come back without a problem. I'll mess around with it some if I can find a good thread to test with.

The only other thing of note may be a symptom of the same issue(?). The play time freezes and the slider that allows you to rewind/fast forward becomes unusable (or it will always throw you to where the play time stopped, no matter where you drag it).

E: I guess on a related note I have another question; I don't know a great deal of the inner workings of iOS so forgive me if this sounds stupid:

I know there's a setting that defaults YouTube links to the YouTube app. Is there a way for the Awful app to inherit that setting to just have it open the YouTube app? I know I have a lot of issues in general with framing and resizing on iOS 8, which I assume is due to the new phone sizes and having to make things dynamic. The fact that the browser is inside of a header in the awful app may just be the reason it's more susceptible to trouble. The YouTube app seems mostly immune to the re-size/re-orient madness and I'd be quite happy using the YouTube app as an alternative. It would even be something I consider just copy/pasting but the YouTube app doesn't accept urls afaik (I guess I could probably use the search bar...).

Ugato fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 5, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Stare-Out posted:

A thought: Would it be possible to add a feature where you can skip posts quickly? There are some posts that are long as a motherfucker that quote previous long posts to boot and it would be great to be able to quickly jump over them by, maybe, double tapping the lower part of the screen or something.

I recommend galtseing this thread until such a feature is implemented.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
E: double post, dammit awful app

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
pokeyman hasn't posted this year :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think he took everyone's money then ran off.

• Locked thread