Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Just got me a new TDI Golf Wagon, with automatic. Designed in Germany, hecho en México.

I spent two years in Germany and was in love with the wide variety of wagons that were available. Getting back to Canada meant my selection was super limited, but so far I'm thrilled with the Golf.

EgonSpengler fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
and here we see the american station wagon in its natural habitat, on the sidelines of suburbia. It has the unique quality of making a husband happy he is not driving a minivan, and a wife happy she is not driving an SUV. Unfortunately, recent industry efforts have made this an endangered species, making the american station wagon a rare sighting.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
This particular species eats a special diet of coil packs and oil

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
'02 WRX

When I bought it: 150k, extensive hail damage, completely stock

Craigslist hood and fender:

Put on some plastidip:

20 minutes after plastidip:

How it sits now:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Crustashio posted:

One of the best looking wagons ever made. It's just so sad they are terrible rustbuckets, 90s subarus barely exist up north anymore.

Watching MCM build Gramps my thoughts, despite all the great mechanical stuff they were doing, kept going back to "Goddamn that thing is spotless". I bet most of then here in the northeast didn't look that good after just two or three winters.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

EgonSpengler posted:

Just got me a new TDI Golf Wagon, with automatic. Designed in Germany, hecho en México.

I spent two years in Germany and was in love with the wide variety of wagons that were available. Getting back to Canada meant my selection was super limited, but so far I'm thrilled with the Golf.

drat, that is identical to mine, but mine says Jetta on the back. What year is it?

Left my wagon at home for a month while I visit family in New Zealand. My dad has too many cars so he told me not to rent a car as I can borrow one of his. Get to his house and it turns out its a Alfa 156 wagon! It started out showing its Italian heritage as the drivers outside door handle stopped working. Fixed that and started touring the country. Made it to 90 mile beach and accidentally drove onto the soft sand and high centered it...

Got towed out by a nice local luckily. It has not given me any other troubles since and we have done prolly 3,000km so far. Nice little car, just gutless under 3k rpm.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 2, 2015

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Crustashio posted:

One of the best looking wagons ever made. It's just so sad they are terrible rustbuckets, 90s subarus barely exist up north anymore.

It is a shame, but there are islands of no salt where they pretty much last forever. The bay area has an absurd amount of 90s Subarus.

This kind of thing happens all the time.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

Negromancer posted:

Nice little car, just gutless under 3k rpm.

This could describe every Italian car made, ever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

It is a shame, but there are islands of no salt where they pretty much last forever. The bay area has an absurd amount of 90s Subarus.

This kind of thing happens all the time.

That could also be Colorado.jpg. One of the worst mistakes I made immediately after buying my '99 was stopping by whole foods for my mother. Took me a few tries to figure out which one was mine.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea New England is like that too. I walked out of a store one time and thought somehow someone put dogs in my car but it was just the same color Forester as mine. Kastein and I also drive matching Foresters.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea New England is like that too. I walked out of a store one time and thought somehow someone put dogs in my car but it was just the same color Forester as mine. Kastein and I also drive matching Foresters.

Foresters spontaneously appear in New England, I just got a free one, so...

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

This could describe every Italian car made, ever.

True, and I have driven plenty of cars that are gutless under 3k rpm, but this is painfully bad. To start on a hill without stalling you pretty much have to dump the clutch at 4k rpm.

Fart Pipe posted:

when we still had our old 2000 outback, the gf routinely tried to get into the wrong one. Nothing like driving a green outback wagon in seattle! Pretty much had to search using the remote to find the right car when we went to REI one time.....

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Free cars are the best cars

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

drat that looks clean especially for free.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I miss my old '88 Volvo 740 GL Wagon. My father bought it when it was new and it survived 20 good years until I started driving it during college and being a broke rear end student couldn't afford to keep fixing all the mechanical and electrical issues that comes with a car of that age. Best car I ever had, and I've promised myself I'd get another Volvo wagon once I can afford it. :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Starhawk64 posted:

I miss my old '88 Volvo 740 GL Wagon. My father bought it when it was new and it survived 20 good years until I started driving it during college and being a broke rear end student couldn't afford to keep fixing all the mechanical and electrical issues that comes with a car of that age. Best car I ever had, and I've promised myself I'd get another Volvo wagon once I can afford it. :sigh:

This is the exact vehicle I learned to drive on and it was a loving tank. They do get their electrical gremlins a plenty though!

Wish Volvo made a V70 for North America, I don't really need the XC stuff and the V60 seems like it'd be a little small. 2 car seats & 2 dogs = not many options these days that aren't SUVs or minivans :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

This is the exact vehicle I learned to drive on and it was a loving tank. They do get their electrical gremlins a plenty though!

Wish Volvo made a V70 for North America, I don't really need the XC stuff and the V60 seems like it'd be a little small. 2 car seats & 2 dogs = not many options these days that aren't SUVs or minivans :(

Didn't they though? I see V70's around all the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

8ender posted:

Didn't they though? I see V70's around all the time.

New ones? I thought they stopped selling them in NA in 2011. Or just here in Canada perhaps? The XC70 is around here which is pretty similar but I loved the v70 without the added plastic bodywork and lower stance. The V70R was a dream car of mine.

I am getting set to start shopping for a new vehicle, my '03 bmw 3 series wagon is getting a little glitchy and I don't have the patience. Plus I want something new! Everything either looks too small, not practical enough, awful to drive or too bloody expensive. :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

New ones? I thought they stopped selling them in NA in 2011. Or just here in Canada perhaps? The XC70 is around here which is pretty similar but I loved the v70 without the added plastic bodywork and lower stance. The V70R was a dream car of mine.

drat looks like you're right. Post 2011, no V70. I hadn't really noticed as the last gen models still look pretty modern.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The local Volvo dealer still had a couple brand-new 2011 V70s on their lot until just last year, so you might still be able to find a nearly-new one for fairly cheap.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

priznat posted:

I bought a V60 a few months ago, I don't find it small at all. Granted I have one kid and no dogs, but it carries two adults + luggage + baby crap with no problem.

I was cross-shopping with the 3-series (although it's tough to find wagons up here for some reason) and A4 (allroad :rolleyes: ) as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

I bought a V60 a few months ago, I don't find it small at all. Granted I have one kid and no dogs, but it carries two adults + luggage + baby crap with no problem.

I was cross-shopping with the 3-series (although it's tough to find wagons up here for some reason) and A4 (allroad :rolleyes: ) as well.

I am looking forward to checking out a V60, they're great looking cars. Enjoying it so far?

The 3 series and Allroad would also be what I'm looking at but all 3 options may be a little spendy. Might look at a lightly used v70 (no luck seeing any new ones still available) or an xc70.

At the rate I eventually buy a car (usually takes me a good 8 months of shopping around) the Golf Sportwagen should be out so that might be a good option.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sybir posted:

My '97 Outback was taken from me by an inattentive driver after 18 years of hard service and 310k miles - T-boned me and totaled it. This is the replacement. Needs a bunch of work but is coming along.

That's the best plate I've seen in a long time.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

priznat posted:

I am looking forward to checking out a V60, they're great looking cars. Enjoying it so far?

The 3 series and Allroad would also be what I'm looking at but all 3 options may be a little spendy. Might look at a lightly used v70 (no luck seeing any new ones still available) or an xc70.

At the rate I eventually buy a car (usually takes me a good 8 months of shopping around) the Golf Sportwagen should be out so that might be a good option.
I'm loving the V60. Drives well, owns in -30 weather, solid if un-fancy interior... it's just a ridiculously competent vehicle. I love the look, too; it's not flashy but it's like a very well-cut suit, it just looks right. About the only objection I have is that it's a little thirsty in the city (which makes sense, as it's much heavier than my old Mini), but it gets great mileage on the highway. My ideal vehicle is the V60 diesel-electric plug-in, but unfortunately Volvo is currently only selling gas engines (and no hybrids) in North America :shrug:

I got a quote on a 3-series diesel wagon which was $11,000 more than the Volvo (in Canada), so it was by far the least spendy option of the three wagons I looked at.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I cannot believe how expensive the 3 series wagons have gotten. It is nuts. And then they can get optioned up even higher!

I'm not really an Audi fan but I'd be more likely to go with them or VW than get another BMW. They just don't seem like good value at all.

The V60 is my current fav though, if I could get one in red for a decent price I would be all over that. My one wish is that they have a panoramic sunroof, my wife's car has one and it is really nice and kids really like it.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I done went and bought me another wagon.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sexy.

In a semi-related note, today a work acquaintance who knows I'm a car guy was asking my opinion about various SUVs. I was polite but in my mind I was going "gently caress SUVs get a wagon".

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Eh, my suv is just a jacked up Altima wagon. I wonder if people will figure it out and then we can get back to normal wagons.

The powered tail gate on the e61 wagon is sort of broken. It only opens sometimes, and sometimes it won't close.
Wouldn't have been too much of problem, but every trip the trunk gets opened to get the stroller out. #justbrokenwagonthings

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Negromancer posted:

drat, that is identical to mine, but mine says Jetta on the back. What year is it?

2014. I'm in Canada, and the Jetta Sportwagen is sold as a Golf up here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So I'm starting to get serious about looking for a replacement for my 2003 BMW e46 wagon, and I'd like to go a bit bigger. I'm gravitating towards a new 2015.5 Volvo XC70 (T6 Premium Plus), any other brands/models I should be checking out?

Something larger than the 3 series/Sportwagen/Allroad is what I'd like but still somewhat enjoyable to drive. I learned to drive on an `88 volvo 740 wagon so it's almost like going full circle ;)

I will check out the V60 too but I suspect the rear seat/trunk room isn't as good as the XC70. Gonna have 2 carseats in the back so decent amount of space is key.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I haven't driven either of them but the XC70 is built on the S80 chassis so it's definitely going to have more room than the V60.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

zundfolge posted:

I haven't driven either of them but the XC70 is built on the S80 chassis so it's definitely going to have more room than the V60.

Yah definitely. The V60 is a great looking car, but the redesign on the XC70 is pretty nice too..

The one thing that I do wish is that they offered the XC70/V70 with the drive-e engine (turbo 4) in AWD. It's FWD only. The T6 engine mileage is pretty crappy. But then, 300hp.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

If you're in the US, look at Cadillac CTS wagons. They made it in AWD with the 3.6 direct injection V6 (naturally aspirated) that actually gets decent mileage, and you can find nice examples under 50k miles for under $25k. Way, way better value than buying a new Volvo for $50k.

(I have the CTS-V and like it a lot but that's a different thing)

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

priznat posted:

Yah definitely. The V60 is a great looking car, but the redesign on the XC70 is pretty nice too..

The one thing that I do wish is that they offered the XC70/V70 with the drive-e engine (turbo 4) in AWD. It's FWD only. The T6 engine mileage is pretty crappy. But then, 300hp.

I was about to buy an XC70 for 1500 bucks from the guy in the shop next to the windshield shop I was working at last summer.

He backed out, decided to sell his M3 instead of the volvo.

I was bummed.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

EgonSpengler posted:

2014. I'm in Canada, and the Jetta Sportwagen is sold as a Golf up here.

Starting with the Mk7, it'll be called a Golf Sportwagen in the US too. About time, because the Jetta sedan and Jetta Sportwagen haven't been on the same chassis since 2010.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4812362639.html

Hellrot e39 540iT, with 6 speed swap. Salvage title because of loving course it does. Any thoughts on this, or the price? Seems a little high for a salvage titled vehicle. But then this is not a car you could even buy with a manual new, I dunno how often swapped ones pop up or how much they go for.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

On the one hand, it's a fine-looking car with a 6-speed manual. On the other hand, the ad says "rebuilt" title, not salvage title but that might be splitting hairs; the ad further states it has been driven for a while on this title so presumably it's road-worthy.

On the gripping hand, I saw "hellrot" and was expecting rust rust rust and more rust. Turns out that's a BMW factory colour.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah, it's bright red. So you're right, it's a rebuilt title which means I may have trouble getting full coverage insurance, so definitely have to check on that.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

On the one hand, it's a fine-looking car with a 6-speed manual. On the other hand, the ad says "rebuilt" title, not salvage title but that might be splitting hairs; the ad further states it has been driven for a while on this title so presumably it's road-worthy.

On the gripping hand, I saw "hellrot" and was expecting rust rust rust and more rust. Turns out that's a BMW factory colour.
...Isn't hellrot the factory color of every Mazda and Subaru sold in the rust belt? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

DropShadow posted:

Starting with the Mk7, it'll be called a Golf Sportwagen in the US too. About time, because the Jetta sedan and Jetta Sportwagen haven't been on the same chassis since 2010.

I wish I could have bought a Mark 7 wagon instead. The new Golfs look great and are getting awesome reviews, but it will likely be later this year before a wagon variant gets to market in North America.

• Locked thread