Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

At only $25, what a steal, especially with a working rotary speaker! (Circa 1986 fake book did not come with it.)

It's got the latest in technological developments like an RCA jack for output and one for input so you can play along with your record player! Built-in drum machine with 16 settings! It's got a pretty bad hiss though, not sure what I can do about that. I've got all the service manuals and schematics but I don't want to go rooting around in it for fear of breaking something plus half the parts are Yamaha specific junk they stopped making 30 years ago.

I had an old Hammond Commodore that I got for free off Craigslist. It had a rotary speaker and a reverb tank, and best of all it had an aux in so you could run a guitar through them. So cool!

Had to rebuild the box and put a new main speaker in though, because a cat had gotten INSIDE the organ and pissed on everything while it was in storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, everything works on it except for half the colorful preset buttons in the center and the chorus switch doesn't seem to do anything. It's also covered in dust and smells like a warehouse. The bass is powerful. Crank it up, flip all the bass switches and hit the low C pedal and the entire room shakes, it's awesome. Dug the fake book out of a closet but unfortunately I can only read bass clef so the I'm limited to looking up chord sheets and noodling along with whatever I'm listening to (I'm a trained horn player, not a trained keyboardist) :v:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 3, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HollisBrown posted:

Not really a new purchase so much as a new build. But I finally built a pedalboard big enough for all my pedals. Only cost about $20 in materials

nice setup. how's that Joyo Analog Delay? I've been getting into their pedals and I'm surprised at how good they are, I almost got one of those before I got an Aqua Puss instead.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nice setup. how's that Joyo Analog Delay? I've been getting into their pedals and I'm surprised at how good they are, I almost got one of those before I got an Aqua Puss instead.

It's pretty good, sounds exactly like a Carbon Copy. Which is great for me, I mostly use it for slapback type stuff, not spacey stuff.

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.

HollisBrown posted:

Not really a new purchase so much as a new build. But I finally built a pedalboard big enough for all my pedals. Only cost about $20 in materials

Gorm shelf?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Actually no, not very different but it's my own design. I think it's a fair amount bigger than the gorm shelves. This one is 30"X18".

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Ordered a VoodooLabs Ground Control Pro for my 11rack. Next up is the Carvin TS100 power amp and my dream live rig is pretty much done for around $1100.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

muike posted:

3 channels and active eq on 2 of em

I dont know what the story on this specific model may be but Ive got the 2x12 combo and I would recommend it over the standalone head. Its 120W and has 2 speaker outs + impedance selector so it you want to make some cabinet wall have at it. The drat thing is loud.

Also I think the head has three channels but the heavy channels are a duplicate. The combo has a 'middle gain' channel which sounds superb. The ultra channel on both the head and combo has this mid range honk that is hard to dial out and get rhythm tones with. Its all Satch all the time.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah i've heard that complaint from people. some people say switching to 6l6gcs fixes it, some say it doesn't matter, some hate the amp, some love it, so whatever. i'm not too concerned as i know it can do some good stuff and one of my favorite albums was recorded with one

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

It sounds great to me but I can see how some people are frustrated with it - it is a little limited in what it can do. Which is why I like the 'crunch' channel. It adds a ton of versatility.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Does anyone know of an iOS/Android app geared toward musicians that you can use to index and keep an active inventory of all of the instruments and gear you own that simultaneously allows you to add information like photos, unique identifiers, modifications, serial number, price purchased for, year purchased, etc? Sort of like how Liberty Mutual has an app that lets homeowners catalogue all of their possessions for insurance purposes?

Because if it doesn't, how hard is it to commission someone to make that into an app? I kind of want to approach Reverb.com and see if they would be interested in taking that idea and turning it into some sort of utility that could integrate into their browsing/purchasing/selling/GASing experience.

With that in mind, how many of you would use an app like that, and what kind features would you or would you not want to see implemented?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 4, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I've got a lot of crap and I'll be god damned if I gave a poo poo enough to stick it in an app.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Startyde posted:

I've got a lot of crap and I'll be god damned if I gave a poo poo enough to stick it in an app.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

With that in mind, how many of you would use an app like that, and what kind features would you or would you not want to see implemented?

I think that's a good idea and I don't want to discourage anyone's creativity, but I use Evernote for this and I'm having trouble thinking of any way that it doesn't work the way I want it to. Between tags, notebook stacks, search, photos, and sync - it holds the info I want and makes it very easy to get to.

I gueeessss if I wanted it to be more sortable by specific values I'd need a spreadsheet or something, but eh.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I use a spreadsheet for my firearms, I don't see why the same can't be done for musical equipment. Plus it's online and accessible to you from anywhere.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I have purchased 10 pickups in the last three months.

Here are the most recent four:

stop me

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I find the Tone Zone to be too hot, and also just weird.
Since the resistance is so high a lot of treble/presence is lost, so they did something to tweak out more high end from the pickup. Recall that Paul Gilbert used to sharpen his picks to a point because he wanted more attack from his picking.
This pickup basically does that for him. I had a buddy who was a major Gilbert fan and he had way more Ibanezes than I, and almost all of them have Tone Zones in the bridge position. I just don't like 'em. I find that lower output pickups have better treble/presence and if they're potted well they take high-gain amps very well.

Just a thought.

I would, on the other hand, love to read other peoples' experience with the Air Norton. If that's the pickup on Dream Theater's (ancient) "Awake" album, I like it.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

I find the Tone Zone to be too hot, and also just weird.
Since the resistance is so high a lot of treble/presence is lost, so they did something to tweak out more high end from the pickup. Recall that Paul Gilbert used to sharpen his picks to a point because he wanted more attack from his picking.
This pickup basically does that for him. I had a buddy who was a major Gilbert fan and he had way more Ibanezes than I, and almost all of them have Tone Zones in the bridge position. I just don't like 'em. I find that lower output pickups have better treble/presence and if they're potted well they take high-gain amps very well.

Just a thought.

I would, on the other hand, love to read other peoples' experience with the Air Norton. If that's the pickup on Dream Theater's (ancient) "Awake" album, I like it.

IIRC John Petrucci used an Air Norton in the Neck and a D-Sonic in the bridge before Dimarzio started making him custom pups.

Honestly, I just sort of really love pickups. I think they're a way more important factor in a guitar's tone than wood, and there are a number of just classic combinations that I've been trying to collect/assemble. I still need to get a Jazz/JB and probably a '59 as well. The Seth Lover set is also on the to-get list. This is my first set of EMGs, they'll be replacing a Black Winter set I've got in a low-end Jackson Dinky.

I guess what I'm sort of thinking is pickups are kinda like music genres. You don't have to be enthusiastic about jazz to appreciate it as a form of music. A pickup doesn't have to work for everybody's taste, but you can appreciate that somebody important in the music world did? If that makes any sense.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Finally decided to try both NYXLs and Jazz IIIs. Super pleased with both purchases, and I can understand why both come pretty much universally recommended. :3:

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Handen posted:

Does anyone know of an iOS/Android app geared toward musicians that you can use to index and keep an active inventory of all of the instruments and gear you own that simultaneously allows you to add information like photos, unique identifiers, modifications, serial number, price purchased for, year purchased, etc? ...With that in mind, how many of you would use an app like that, and what kind features would you or would you not want to see implemented?

When I was just starting to collect gear I really liked guitargeek.com and what they did to show the layout of artists' gear, and often tried to copy their style to show off my own layouts. If something like this could be turned into an app that allowed you to do both of these things, that would be pretty cool.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
My favorite gig bag just bit the dust (a main seam gave out) so I'm now in the market for a nicer/more sturdy one - any suggestions?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JohnnySmitch posted:

My favorite gig bag just bit the dust (a main seam gave out) so I'm now in the market for a nicer/more sturdy one - any suggestions?

What guitar?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Ideally I want to be able to use it for most of my electrics - mainly a Telecaster and a Jaguar.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Been an expensive week. Ordered this earlier in the week;

And just ordered this last night.

poo poo is about to get really awesome with the ElevenRack. :dance:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Peel off that plastic. Slowly.

Gonna feel so good.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Today I join the 'bucker+P90 coolkids club. And the offset club:

First impressions after about an hour or so playing with it: Pure distilled awesome. The neck feel is even better than on the Tricky Gomez, and that Wilkinson trem is the best I've used. Pickups are pretty hot, but between the pickup configuration and the bass contour control the tonal range on this thing is just ridiculous. Still, after grabbing this, I think I'm putting myself on a forced new-to-me gear moratorium for about a year. I've picked up a lot of new things recently, now it's time to fully explore them all.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Schpyder posted:

Today I join the 'bucker+P90 coolkids club. And the offset club:

I hate to just empty post with a gif but...

If that trem is anything decent I may have found my next dream guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
wilkies are good but their arms can get loose over time, which can be fixed

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

At only $25, what a steal, especially with a working rotary speaker! (Circa 1986 fake book did not come with it.)

It's got the latest in technological developments like an RCA jack for output and one for input so you can play along with your record player! Built-in drum machine with 16 settings! It's got a pretty bad hiss though, not sure what I can do about that. I've got all the service manuals and schematics but I don't want to go rooting around in it for fear of breaking something plus half the parts are Yamaha specific junk they stopped making 30 years ago.

If this is anything like the E-70 (it's from the same era) there might be an amazing analog synth behind the "funny" preset. Not a small project, but it's worth looking into. Look up "e-70 and CS-80" for more info.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Ordered a factory blemish (fret sprout) to stick my new Squier Jazzmaster neck on. :dance:

With their sale, it was under $150. :3:

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Just put new pickups in my Jaguar Special (GFS lipstick humbuckers):

The stock P90s were too dark and muddy for my style; these (so far) are a huge improvement. I rewired the mostly useless "rhythm circuit" as a coil tap switch too.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Needed to lay down some bass on some home recorded metal tracks so I bought a Yamaha RBX374 ... in silver. Wouldn't be my colour pick but it was £100 with a stand and a softcase.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
New synthesizer, for playing out live!

I need more desk space :(

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just a heads up, Prymaxe is doing a 40% off clearance items blowout if you use the code "save40," and 20% off pedals if you use "holi20." I think it ends today.

I just ordered a Mid-Fi Fuzz Wall for $142 down from $224 with the save40 code. Never heard of it before but in the video below it sounds like Church of Misery so I had to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdTQx_1QDG8

And an AMT LLM2 volume pedal with the save20 code.

I was hoping to grab an AMT expression pedal and a couple EHX Pitch Forks with that 20% off deal but they're out of stock. :argh: Also apparently you can't stack coupons so I had to do each order separately.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Sockington posted:

Ordered a VoodooLabs Ground Control Pro for my 11rack. Next up is the Carvin TS100 power amp and my dream live rig is pretty much done for around $1100.

How does the 11 Rack do for you? Not familiar with it's capabilities.

Walter fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 10, 2015

chrisnorton
Jul 27, 2004

Handen posted:

Just a heads up, Prymaxe is doing a 40% off clearance items blowout if you use the code "save40," and 20% off pedals if you use "holi20." I think it ends today.

I just ordered a Mid-Fi Fuzz Wall for $142 down from $224 with the save40 code. Never heard of it before but in the video below it sounds like Church of Misery so I had to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdTQx_1QDG8

And an AMT LLM2 volume pedal with the save20 code.

I was hoping to grab an AMT expression pedal and a couple EHX Pitch Forks with that 20% off deal but they're out of stock. :argh: Also apparently you can't stack coupons so I had to do each order separately.

That Fuzz Wall is insane. I'm not sure what application I have for that but I need one.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Walter posted:

How does the 11 Rack do for you? Not familiar with it's capabilities.

I've only been able to edit patches manually since I'm on Linux and the software doesn't like that. Another guy in the band is coming over Friday to load some and see how they sound.

I've got a half dozen patches that I've fine tuned into something I use with the bands.

Also, new Ground Control Pro came in. Set it up for 8 instant effects and four main patches on the bottom. :haw:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Might as well keep new gear week rolling. Carvin TS100 showed up.

Gig setup is now fully complete. :circlefap:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You seriously haul all that rig around?

VV That makes more sense. VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

You seriously haul all that rig around?

Erm. I should clarify. 4U box, 2x12 and ground control.

I was having to drag the Jet City around just for the return jack.