Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Anyway, I painted a Land Raider.

I like the way the panel lines came out - it's just a brown wash in the recesses (and I need more Devlan Mud now), but it worked pretty well. The highlights...well, nobody's perfect. It looks almost cartoonish close up, but at tabletop distances I got no complaints, plus it's better than not painting it at all. "If you can't do it right, at least do it wrong" is basically how I approach 40k these days.

This is true for virtually all of my friends. I think I'd consider it a requirement at this point.

Dude, that's loving rad. It's good to see you doing some more painting! The front hatch insignia looks real sharp.

Related note: I hate the loving Heldrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Super-related note: IT'S FINALLY loving DONE PRAISE JESUS

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I know you hated painting it, but Jesus loving Christ does that thing own. How did you do the gold?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Daaaaaaaamn :aaa:

Speaking of finished models I finally got my Inquisitor done. :woop:

Really helped to have a bunch of painting guides on the screen next to me. Even if the WD ones are far too simple to be that much of help.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Owns owns owns.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I know you hated painting it, but Jesus loving Christ does that thing own. How did you do the gold?

Thanks! My standard process is to start with Balthasar Gold, then cover that in 2-3 coats of Auric Armor gold. Then I paint the inside of the gold plates with 2-3 layers of Agrax Earthshade, depending on how much weathering I want. For stuff like the head plate or the shoulders, I'll recede each layer to create a gradient look. Once that's done I pick out the rivets with Leadbelcher and I do the edges with Auric Armor Gold (or a bit of Mithril Silver if I want to go extra weathered or fancy).

I like the model well enough despite the weird robodragon butthole in the rear, but the amount of trim on it is loving ridiculous. That poo poo took forever.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maaaaan

These guys make the Medusan Immortals look so boring in comparison.

I know I'm late on this, but it's really lovely that Forge World is putting these guys out as upgrade packs. The legs, arms, and backpacks aren't custom on them and I don't see any reason why they can't just cast some extras and toss them in there for a complete package. Medusan Immortals and Salamanders Pyroclasts are 37 and 35 pounds, respectively, for five models. Both of those units are decked out in unique parts and they're standalone. Meanwhile, these guys are 55 pounds for five models, assuming you base them off of a despoiler squad so that you get the right arms. For some idiots people, I'm sure this won't matter as they'll get a bunch of spare parts to use on other units, but that's dumb. I think they should be giving customers all the parts they need and nothing more with a somewhat more reasonable price as with the other unique units.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Holy gently caress that's nice. How many more do you still have to do?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

Holy gently caress that's nice. How many more do you still have to do?

Two, unfortunately. One is going to be Iron Warriors theme for my army in DE (that one is about 40% done), and the other will either be Night Lords or Black Legion--I haven't decided yet. Probably Night Lords and then I'll buy 1-2 more (kill me) for the Black legion down the road.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Two, unfortunately. One is going to be Iron Warriors theme for my army in DE (that one is about 40% done), and the other will either be Night Lords or Black Legion--I haven't decided yet. Probably Night Lords and then I'll buy 1-2 more (kill me) for the Black legion down the road.

Ya, you're crazy.

You paint real good, though. :allears:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare: You must be a glutton for punishment. I'm not even going to buy one of those things because I don't want to paint it. Ever. I'm planning on two maulerfiends for my Night Lords and those'll be bad enough.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I myself only have the one heldrake, since I was having way too much fun with mobs of chaos spawn in the fast attack slot early on, and I've been dreading getting around to painting the thing, but that's some inspirational poo poo right there. Especially the gold work, very nice detail to quite a bit of trim.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That gold looks dope, your effort is definitely worth it!

I went to the post office today to mail off some old metal Cadians I sold to a guy in Canada, so I had to declare them on the customs form.
:j: "80 Dollars for toy soldiers? Jesus Christ."
:smith: "Yeah but they're old!"
:j: "Ugh my god."

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

koreban posted:

:master:

Yo Ghost Hand, what's the word from forgeworld about the 30k in 40k situation? Did they ever imagine 40k players going up against full 30k armies, or were the 40k stamps put there more as a "chapter armouries may have one or more of these awesome herecy-era units, so here's the statlines and a stamp so you can play with them". I'm actually curious about the answer to this.

It isn't intended for it - but the authors (Alan Bligh) suggestion is to use the Force Org chart for Crusade lists when playing 30k vs 40k. He and I have talked at length about this and they have played several games this way that were quite enjoyable.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
To be fair, the crazy blinged out trim is what makes the heldrake such a cool model, pooper-jet notwithstanding.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Reynold posted:

I myself only have the one heldrake, since I was having way too much fun with mobs of chaos spawn in the fast attack slot early on, and I've been dreading getting around to painting the thing, but that's some inspirational poo poo right there. Especially the gold work, very nice detail to quite a bit of trim.

Drybrush the poo poo out of the trim first, THEN to the inserted panels. It'll go by a lot quicker that way.

Meanwhile, I worked on a bunch of poo poo yesterday as a 'stay at home on my birthday because gently caress people' project.

DA banner bearer. I plan to go super freehand with the banner whenever I get to it, full of SPACE WIZARD VAN poo poo. Planets, stars, the works.

Librarian. I wasn't sure if I wanted him with an axe or a staff, so I made one that could count as both if I wanted to. I'd have given him a banner on the back but I'm out of them and don't feel like making one out of plastic rods, so gently caress it.

Mortis dreadnought with 2x autocannons. I had to scratch-build them because apparently bits sellers think that the quad gun autocannons are worth nearly $20 after shipping. It was surprisingly easy to do: just some extra lascannon barrels glued end to end, with some plastic tubing on the end. Glued those ammo boxes from the predator heavy bolters and bob's yer uncle.

Heldrake base for a friend. I got a couple of the sprues from the Mantic terrain set in the mail from their yearly Crazy Box, so I slapped them together and grabbed some odds n' ends. Very good terrain kits, for the record; they have these connector sprues that keep the pieces together, which can be snapped on or off as need be. Very lego-like. Excellent if you want to see what it will look like before you glue anything down, something sorely lacking in the GW ones.

Upper half of a dread. I'm torn as to what I want to do for his CCW arm; my plan is to have him pull two jobs unit-wise, as either a regular dread, or as the siege variant with the siege drill, depending on how I feel that day. It's a toss-up between either a chainsaw hand ala the ironclad kit (but probably scratch-built), or an actual giant-rear end drill like what killa kans have. Thoughts?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

My favorite piece of 40k (30k) fiction is probably The Crimson Fist, revealing that the Sigismund was a fuckup failure and Polux was awesome.

Also Dorn sleeps with his old baby blanket.

It's probably one of my favorites too actually.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Owns. Jesus Christ does this own.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

That gold looks dope, your effort is definitely worth it!

I went to the post office today to mail off some old metal Cadians I sold to a guy in Canada, so I had to declare them on the customs form.
:j: "80 Dollars for toy soldiers? Jesus Christ."
:smith: "Yeah but they're old!"
:j: "Ugh my god."

#StopHamShaming

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

From Facebook. FOR THE EMPEROR.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's pretty awesome, the only knock I can see against it is the wings on the head make it look like it has pig tails.

Edit: can anyone point me towards some escalation league rules? One of my resolutions is finally doing something with my orks and I figure an escalation list format might be the best to put them into managable chunks.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 3, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's pretty awesome, the only knock I can see against it is the wings on the head make it look like it has pig tails.

Maybe they're supposed to look like cadenettes

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
:siren:I'm getting rid of all my 40k and WHFB stuff. ALL OF IT! Check out this thread for more details!:siren:

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 3, 2015

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Vale Two Feet's Tyranid hopes and dreams

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Uh, anyone in the Seattle area want his non-tyranid stuff? We could do a group buy...

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Was that hand-sculpted? It's really well done.

You could always go for something unique like a wrecking-ball arm, and have it counts-as anything you want on the day.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Nice case. Where's it from?

Argos

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
How is a deffkopta's big bomm supposed to work? They dropped the ball on rules for this one pretty hard. We houseruled that you had to move at least 6" and couldn't charge but god drat GW hosed this up hard.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
These are the images all the nerds think are an upcoming admech book:

Looks like solar auxilia to me?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Them there are fuckin squats

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

You would think they would show the whole image, would fakesell it better.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 4, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

You would think they would show the whole image, would sell it better.

Helps build hype when you only show part of it

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't think GW uses B&W art anymore, at least in the codices. I'm of the mind there's nothing coming out, but if there is I doubt it would be competition with a 30k army.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BULBASAUR posted:

It looks like dudes from the Velataris Storm section, the radio man or whatever has almost the exact same pose

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I don't think GW uses B&W art anymore, at least in the codices. I'm of the mind there's nothing coming out, but if there is I doubt it would be competition with a 30k army.
Yeah, even the old B&W art has been colorized in most instances. I dig the new painterly look, but I really do miss the pulpy roughness of the old black and white stuff.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish we could have Blanche's artwork for everything. I realize it's not really feasible, but I can dream. :allears:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

xtothez posted:

Was that hand-sculpted? It's really well done.

You could always go for something unique like a wrecking-ball arm, and have it counts-as anything you want on the day.

God no. That's from a magic mold I did--the plastic piece I copied it from is from some DA vehicle piece, I think the land raider.

A wrecking ball arm was considered, but my main thing is that on a visual level I keep my DA on space hulk/zone mortalis-style bases, and in the tight confines of those places a wrecking ball just wouldn't work (got no room).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SRM posted:

Yeah, even the old B&W art has been colorized in most instances. I dig the new painterly look, but I really do miss the pulpy roughness of the old black and white stuff.

Black and white art is fine when it's not digital or traditional artwork that was done in color first. It just becomes too dark to see anything.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The rumours of a Harlequin codex seem far more likely, honestly. I wonder who, besides Eldar/DEldar, will get them at a decent allies level?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

I wish we could have Blanche's artwork for everything. I realize it's not really feasible, but I can dream. :allears:
I want John Blanche to do one of those Draw My Life videos but after about a minute and a half it just becomes heavy growling and increasingly inhuman voices as the art gets more and more insane.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

This owns. Although it does make me not want to get one 'cause I'll never be able to paint it this good...

Lord Twisted posted:

From Facebook. FOR THE EMPEROR.

This is legit awesome. Reminds me of this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morachi
Nov 22, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

Just put one on the receiving end of a singularity, very nice job you've done :)

http://wcwdb.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/harbingers-of-void-twin-phantom-reapers.html

• Locked thread