Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

How hard was it to convert the Chaos Knights/Skullcrushers with CSM riders, WhiteOutMouse?

That juggernaut guy is just a CSM dude laying on a mount. It is not as smooth as I would like but it works.

The Skullcrusher/Chaos Knights kits works great if you have CSM backpacks and arms/shoulderpads to add to the fantasy torso/legs. It's chaos, so the fancy armor is fine and the backpack/shoulder cover up and make them look modem enough. A pinch of GS in the armpit might help a dynamic arm placement but if I only faced that because I was using a lot of those super old berzerker 40k arms.

Here are some WIP examples:

So in my opinion they are super easy to convert.
My tip, turn the torso a few degrees left or right, also turn the head left or right (probably glued on last). That usually is my recipe for dynamic models. Try to avoid squared up hips and shoulders and looking straight ahead. This goes for any model basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Lord Twisted posted:

Those Orks and Guard absolutely OWN. drat!

If we're doing army shots, I'm reposting these shots...

Is this a homebrew chapter? What's it called?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Buffchix, I think it isn't said enough how good all your stuff looks together. Having themed terrain around one or all of my armies is one of those things I've only really ever dreamed of, instead of the fairly generic setup I have now.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I call it the grey swarm..

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Is this a homebrew chapter? What's it called?

The Raven's Repentance - used to be the Iron Ravens until a horrendous loss in a planetstrike game early on in my 'ham career when I lost like 25 terminators in one turn of endless 1s to save. Painted them red with black helmets and hands to represent their penance crusade.

Mechendrite red - > mephiston red - > red wash - > wild rider highlights.

Album link -
http://imgur.com/a/D5dLq

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Post 9-11 User posted:

I've always thought your use of fluorescent paint was nifty, but is there something preventing you from adding more coats of paint to get a more uniform glow? Painting so that the brush strokes aren't visible is a foundation technique.

Glow in the dark paint isn't really meant for minis, it's meant for marking large outdoor surfaces, so it's hard to work with without destroying a lot of detail. It also ends up with uneven glow spread if you thin it too much. I suppose I can give them all another two coats and see how it goes.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 1, 2015

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Went out and bought some hams on the cheap for the first time in like 2 years. Figured after playing for just over 20 years I should knuckle down and actually have a painted army at some point. Not in it for playing right now, so freed of the shackles of needing to have what's hot this edition I can put together the Ultramarines V Company in peace and at my own pace.

First step - Fun with magnets:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

adamantium|wang posted:

First step - Fun with magnets:

The best way to do this would've been to make his head magnetized as well so that he can pull a Headless Horseman and throw it at some rear end in a top hat during overwatch.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Seeing all of those great full-army shots made me curious about how close to fully painted my primary army has gotten. It's not even close :(

This is about half of my already assembled space marine junk, not to mention all of the vehicles still on sprue.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
e: ^^^ Don't feel too bad, I've got literally a hundred Marines and about 60 Guardsmen in various stages of assembly and undercoat.

AbusePuppy posted:

The best way to do this would've been to make his head magnetized as well so that he can pull a Headless Horseman and throw it at some rear end in a top hat during overwatch.

I haven't glued it yet. Don't tempt me.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Mid-NYE beerhammer. Rules were 3k points on turn 1, additional 2k points on turn 2, 1k points on turn 3 for 6k total per player. Beers drunk count as 1 red cup, mawloc type 2 hits S9 AP2 full scatter. Red shots count at D str AP1 full scatter.

7 players, 40k points of 40k. Only have time to toss up a few pictures for now, will post an album when I recover.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Happy New Year!!!! One of my best new years eve memories is having a huge game of 40k Rogue Trader edition at my friends house hope this New Years eve was a great one for you.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Who came up with the Preferred Enemy (Unpainted) rule? Because it is genius and deserves to be credited.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Big Willy Style posted:

Who came up with the Preferred Enemy (Unpainted) rule? Because it is genius and deserves to be credited.

It's been around for at least fifteen years, probably much longer than that. I remember Hatred (Unpainted) being mentioned in I think WD when I was like 12.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Big Willy Style posted:

I originally heard about it on The Overlords Podcast but I know they didn't come up with it originally.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

That is genius. Mad props to the NYE Orbital Drunkbardment, too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

I originally heard about it on The Overlords Podcast but I know they didn't come up with it originally.

If anything I liked the term "War on Bare Plastics" that you mentioned an episode ago or so.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
What's everyone's favorite Space Marine armor?

For me it's Mk IV. I'm pretty jazzed they have one in the Blood Angels Tactical kit since I'm too poor for FW. I could do without all the blood drop talismans and random vials, though.

Edit:

Cooked Auto posted:

If anything I liked the term "War on Bare Plastics" that you mentioned an episode ago or so.

I'll paint it, I swear!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
After 2 games against the Space Wolves box flyers last week, I've decided to paint up my Heldrakes (3). I'll post when I'm done but for now I just wanted to say how much I hate painting this goddamn thing. That is all.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
I finished the bases for the test scarabs, happy with it and moving into warriors painting now, was a nice way to recover after new years.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm loving all the army shots that are cropping up!

BuffaloChicken posted:

Lotta good hobby stuff in the thread lately! Here's some photos of a game with my brother Christmas Day, as per a Warseer post by him.

You guys are the best 'hams, I totally need to kick things into gear and rope in the housemates to get more of this stuff done around here.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Where do you live and when can we play?

Leeds, UK, shoot me a PM if you're ever in the area and we'll sort something out.

NTRabbit posted:

Glow in the dark paint isn't really meant for minis, it's meant for marking large outdoor surfaces, so it's hard to work with without destroying a lot of detail. It also ends up with uneven glow spread if you thin it too much. I suppose I can give them all another two coats and see how it goes.

Yeah, I tried this for my old LoTD and had the same issues. The only way to get a decent glow was to slop on so much paint it wrecked the details, not really worth it.

Big Willy Style posted:

This is the best thing and will be implemented if I ever run another campaign :D

Also something like this was official in BFG - unpainted ships took a -1 penalty to LD because the crews were demoralised.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Zark the Damned posted:

Leeds, UK, shoot me a PM if you're ever in the area and we'll sort something out.

There might be an Atlantic Ocean between the two of us.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

That's the best idea I've heard for moving an Apocalypse game along. Each side's turn goes on for so damned long you may as well leave to go make a sandwich. Normally, everyone should be present for dice rolls to prevent shady rerolls but in Apocalypse I just yell across the room, "Go ahead, just make the fiftieth dice roll without me!"

Reminds me a bit of the activation system from Rebellion.

I can go into the full rules if you want. It is slightly more involved than I made it out to be. Also, here is something I did today that someone might find interesting. I'm going to a tournament on Saturday and saw that the Tau have a formation, the Firebase Support Cadre. As it happens I just bought my first Riptide, so why not use it in a formation? Problem: I have only four broadsides, and the formation calls specifically for two squads of three. I then notice that the new broadsides all have their railguns as absurdly large rifles, and that broadsides look essentially the same as a Crisis Suit. Solution: Take some spare Hammerhead cannons I never use and apply hacksaw until something comes together:

It's goofy and cludge as hell but I love it. An ork solution to Tau problems.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Maaaaan

These guys make the Medusan Immortals look so boring in comparison.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, questions about the marks of armour in HH. Are different marks more or less prevalent across different legions. Would squads, typically, wear the same marks of armour or would they be mixed together? Do the different marks of armour have different in game effects?

Also I just dropped a bundle on some night lords stuff.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
From memory Horus manipulated things behind the scenes to make sure that the Legions that would fall into line with him would spend a year or two being supplied with the latest and greatest of everything while others were sent off to the middle of nowhere to fight long and grueling campaigns. So while everyone had access to MkIV armour the Sons of Horus would be able to outfit pretty much their whole battle line with it while other Legions would only be able to outfit a Chapter or two with everyone else using worn out MkIII and II suits. MkV emerged from 10 years of cobbling together whatever was still operational to use as a suit, using molecular bonding studs to uparmour older pieces and cannibalizing unused Terminator armour helmets for distribution to the rank and file.

MkVI was being developed with the assistance of the XIX Legion and had very limited production when the Heresy broke out (at the time of development it was designated MkV), and MkVII was being finalised literally on the transports fleeing the invasion of Mars. The big aquilas on the chest would make it easier to spot loyalist from traitor as they were only being made on Terra and issued to the Legionnaires defending the planet.

There's no in-game effect on the tabletop, but in the RPGs each mark has its own quirks, advantages and disadvantages and can inspire or cause dread and suspicion depending on the mark and the person you're talking to.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 2, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Ok FW now make some Imperial Fists storm shields so I can actually use Terminators.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

There's no in-game effect on the tabletop, but in the RPGs each mark has its own quirks, advantages and disadvantages and can inspire or cause dread and suspicion depending on the mark and the person you're talking to.

Doesn't =][=nquisitor have different armor values for every type of armor? Powered armor worn by humans isn't as tough and doesn't have the autosensors. Heck, I think they made a difference between carapace and aspect warrior armor. The benefits of a system based on something other than D6.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The 40k RPGs even have different rules for bolters used by Marines and bolters used by people. I wish we could have that kind of granularity in 40k sometimes, but that way lies 2nd ed madness.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maaaaan

These guys make the Medusan Immortals look so boring in comparison.

Ooh baby. Even if I never play 30k, these guys would be boss Honor Guard for my Crimson Fists.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Those are gorgeous. I'm probably going to do 30k eventually--I'll probably make a decision once I see what the Ultramarines, Wolves of Fenris, and rest of the Alpha Legion look like--and this new Imperial Fists stuff is making it all a lot harder. I won't buy anything until I get 2k points of my marines painted, though.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Pretty much finished up with my Toxicrene. Going to do up a Mucolid Spore Mine and/or some Gargoyles next to space out painting MCs. Painting giant monsters is fun but it gets a bit tedious after a while.

All set to burst enemy lungs with toxic spores! :3:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Gonna be fifty-odd pounds for a five man squad. Jesus.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Those Phalanx Warder arms would look incredible combined with the running Vanguard Veteran poses.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Pretty much finished up with my Toxicrene. Going to do up a Mucolid Spore Mine and/or some Gargoyles next to space out painting MCs. Painting giant monsters is fun but it gets a bit tedious after a while.

All set to burst enemy lungs with toxic spores! :3:

That green really sells the model!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Work continues on my table... another building down.

Next up, a two story.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Boon posted:

Work continues on my table... another building down.

Next up, a two story.

These look great! I'm surprised at how well they work with the mat. ANAmal has the city one and that one is very good, but the snow mat looks really nice in those photos.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Are those square bases as a floor? Brilliant.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Slimnoid posted:

Are those square bases as a floor? Brilliant.

Even better. Movement trays for Fantasy.

All the buildings are standard sized that way (like the STCs intended goddamnit), provide a solid non-bending/flexing floor, and have a convenient sized tiling (two types, depending on what side you use). Also, you can use the frames for the movement trays as girders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Boon: that's the best kind of terrain. It looks amazing and it's also something that miniatures can be placed inside of (something that much of the pretty but unusable 'Eavy Metal terrain cannot be said of).

I thought Black Templars were founded after the Heresy?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Templars Imperial Fists being shot at after the Heresy is one of the cool things about 40k fiction. In a sprawling space opera of dumb, entertaining poo poo, this is a believable consequence of the League Of Super Human Killfucks squabbling over being pared down to keep them on a leash.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 2, 2015

• Locked thread