Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Conquered Pagan Min's fortress before it was weakened. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

No joke I think that a vietnam far cry would be loving amazing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Red Dawn done Far Cry style could be pretty fun. Wolverines!

:takes a huge hit of turbo nega-weed and power slams a Russian halftrack:

E: still have memory leak issues. Sigh. Guess I'll give my equipment a good once over, but my other games run fine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Conquered Pagan Min's fortress before it was weakened. :homebrew:

Anything interesting happen if you do this early?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Just finished it and watched the other endings on youtube. Not amazing, but good, I think.

I really liked the alternate one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What does weakening the fortresses actually do?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

blackguy32 posted:

What does weakening the fortresses actually do?

Opens their doors and you get a couple of new ways in to them. It's more fun to not weaken them since you can blow the doors with C4 and still be stealth.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

People went in the fortresses through the doors? I thought everyone just snuck over the top as soon as it was possible to physically reach them.

Edit: Noore's fortress is hilariously easy and there's no excuse for not conquering it the first time you're there.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: Noore's fortress is hilariously easy and there's no excuse for not conquering it the first time you're there.

I managed to get in basically by mistake and then proceeded to stealth it with no problem through some backdoor in the mountains or whatever. Hadn't done poo poo, I assumed the game wouldn't let me take over a fortress without weakening it first. Welp.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

I managed to get in basically by mistake and then proceeded to stealth it with no problem through some backdoor in the mountains or whatever. Hadn't done poo poo, I assumed the game wouldn't let me take over a fortress without weakening it first. Welp.
Of the first three, the only one I really had trouble with was Paul de Pleur's. I'm making sure I do them all before weakening them, and so far that's been the toughest. There's two really well-placed snipers and the alarms are tricky to shoot without being spotted. But I haven't done Pagan Min's yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Anything interesting happen if you do this early?

Nope. :( I did this fortress specifically for this reason too, to see if anything happens with the gameworld or story and it doesn't.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't totally get the fortresses. They're not the base of operations for any of the commanders, since those are the prison camp, arena, giant mountain prison, and Min's palace. You never see them there. There's no story missions involving them. I don't get it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They're weekend retreats. Sometimes you just want to kick back, relax and take in the sights of your heavily fortified death compound.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ddraig posted:

They're weekend retreats. Sometimes you just want to kick back, relax and take in the sights of your heavily fortified death compound.
Heavily fortified death compound*

*Ten guys, four buildings, three alarm towers.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I like how even though Ajay is a guy who has a history of violent crime and is an unstoppable killing machine, he sounds like a guy who works in tech support and drives a Mazda3.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Heavily fortified death compound*

*Ten guys, four buildings, three alarm towers.

Definitely watch out for the helicopter reinforments, that will totally not get destroyed by the RPG that you can get about an hour into the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Definitely watch out for the helicopter reinforments, that will totally not get destroyed by the RPG that you can get about an hour into the game.
Or the grenade launcher sidearm. Also if you're in Noore's fortress they literally cannot reach you, which is just another reason Noore's fortress is insanely easy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I like getting the 'choppers to come in while I'm on the roof, so I can set fire to them and everyone inside falls out.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Did anyone else have audio troubles with the Thick Skin, the elephant hunt in the Pagan fortress? It's bugging out and I don't get to hear Chiffon's soothing, encouraging voice.

How can I kill an elephant if I can't hear him tell me to be fierce?! :ohdear:

Edit: Actually it's exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqXzs5md60

No speech heard :(

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 3, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I like how Ajay sounds loving annoyed sometimes with the side missions. I was asked to defuse a bomb and Ajay definitely got all mad about it lol

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Skeezy posted:

I like how Ajay sounds loving annoyed sometimes with the side missions. I was asked to defuse a bomb and Ajay definitely got all mad about it lol

Him laughing at the dude who lost his wife to Honey Badgers made me crack up. He back pedals so fast. :haw:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The Honey Badgers are surprisingly dangerous, not Tiger or Rhino dangerous, but I'd say that individually they're worse than any of the canines. I think it's the fact they're pretty small makes them hard to hit if they're after you, especially with the bow.
On the subject of hunting, where do the Yaks actually appear, I've got the map marker for them near the bridge to the north iirc, but I've only ever seen the one the Sherpa that takes you on Hurk's or Longinus' missions. Also, where do Honey Badgers reliably appear?
Also any tips for Amita's version of the De Pleur mission.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

The Honey Badgers are surprisingly dangerous, not Tiger or Rhino dangerous, but I'd say that individually they're worse than any of the canines. I think it's the fact they're pretty small makes them hard to hit if they're after you, especially with the bow.
On the subject of hunting, where do the Yaks actually appear, I've got the map marker for them near the bridge to the north iirc, but I've only ever seen the one the Sherpa that takes you on Hurk's or Longinus' missions. Also, where do Honey Badgers reliably appear?
Also any tips for Amita's version of the De Pleur mission.

You can find Honey Badgers on the map.
Also, one of the fashion week hunting missions really goes out of it's way to say "Look at the honeybadger, it's so deadly, we are a hilarious game. Now laugh!"

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

You can find Honey Badgers on the map.
Also, one of the fashion week hunting missions really goes out of it's way to say "Look at the honeybadger, it's so deadly, we are a hilarious game. Now laugh!"

Which is funny because that mission was super easy.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So who is the dick that set up the glider in the starting town that clips the tree and instantly kills you as soon as you take off?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Yeah that glider setup was really inexcusable. Far cry 3 had a similar infamous glider, I thought 'surely they will playtest the game this time.'

Still don't have a solution for the FOV glitch, even after spending an hour looking. As everyone has noticed, the fov frequently breaks and the slider won't fix it. This is what I hate about games that don't allow modding or cheating - 80% of the time I'd just edit some files or add a console command to fix it but I can't in FC4. Searching is harder because of the stupid 'FOV slider gone? You pirated the game' pollution. As best I can tell nobody online or in this thread has found a permanent solution. For now it seems the best (still bad) is to just quit to the main menu, but this blows if you're in a long mission.

edit: changing the resolution and aspect ratio doesn't fix it either.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 3, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Which is funny because that mission was super easy.

All of the hunting missions are way too easy becuause the animal AI is stupid as poo poo. Just climb on a rock, shoot it while the animal runs away, get down, lure it back, repeat.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Michaellaneous posted:

All of the hunting missions are way too easy becuause the animal AI is stupid as poo poo. Just climb on a rock, shoot it while the animal runs away, get down, lure it back, repeat.

Note:

Does not work on the Tiger, and possibly the Leopards, as they can jump and climb relatively high ledges.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That was goddamn terrifying the first time. "I'll be safe up in this treadfgdgdxdhdxhxdhb£"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The easiest way I could take out the Sky Tiger was to repeatedly climb and drop off a ledge in his room.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Morter posted:

Did anyone else have audio troubles with the Thick Skin, the elephant hunt in the Pagan fortress? It's bugging out and I don't get to hear Chiffon's soothing, encouraging voice.

How can I kill an elephant if I can't hear him tell me to be fierce?! :ohdear:

Edit: Actually it's exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqXzs5md60

No speech heard :(

Not to sperg out and go all SJW on this, but I seriously loving hated this mission because elephants are rad in this game and in real life, so I felt a little lovely about "honoring Thick Skin" by burning him alive with a flamethrower.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Elephants do indeed own and I loved seeing an elephant frolicking in a lake near one of the outposts.

I always go out of my way to avoid harming them. I don't even particularly like riding them as they get shot at and that's no way to treat my elephant buddies :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

suboptimal posted:

Not to sperg out and go all SJW on this, but I seriously loving hated this mission because elephants are rad in this game and in real life, so I felt a little lovely about "honoring Thick Skin" by burning him alive with a flamethrower.

So you have no problem hunting rare animals until it's an elephant? :colbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Virtually every other animal in the place is permanently locked in an eternal struggle to kill Ajay. It's kill or be killed.

Elephants are pretty chill, though, I have no beef with them.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
The text for the mission stated that Thick Skin had a disease that had driven it insane and would eventually kill it.

I really liked Chiffon as a character. Stay fierce Ajay.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I demand an option to give my elephant buddy a treat after we rampage through an outpost and trample all the motherfuckers

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jonad posted:

His explanation behind that phrase was so cool. Seriously, dude owns.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

So you have no problem hunting rare animals until it's an elephant? :colbert:

I also pop a maxed out Level 2 hunting syringe (which makes most animals ignore you) anytime I'm near tigers, leopards, and bears :( I just ground out all of the hunting quests as quickly as possible and try to avoid killing anything but deer (because gently caress deer in general).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey don't get me wrong here, I actually find that kind of cute. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jonad posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one :allears:

poptart_fairy posted:

His explanation behind that phrase was so cool. Seriously, dude owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDdJY1PYd0&t=492s

Morter fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 4, 2015

• Locked thread