Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are there a lot of goons playing this on ps4? And is it good for ps4 or is PC master race?
You can (and i have) actually plug a keyboard and mouse into your PS4 to play FFXIV and it's virtually indistinguishable from PC. Maybe even better because it won't be dragged down by your unknown PC specs or whatever trash is running in the background on it. Vice versa you can plug a gamepad into the PC version and use the cross controls if you think you like that better (but it's an MMO so...)

You are playing the exact same servers as the PC people so you don't need to care which platform the goons are playing on, aside from whether they're incompetent with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

CrashCat posted:

You can (and i have) actually plug a keyboard and mouse into your PS4 to play FFXIV and it's virtually indistinguishable from PC. Maybe even better because it won't be dragged down by your unknown PC specs or whatever trash is running in the background on it. Vice versa you can plug a gamepad into the PC version and use the cross controls if you think you like that better (but it's an MMO so...)

I use a controller on the PC, and think the game is actually more fun that way, as the menus and such are pretty well optimized for controllers and always felt kinda clunky on kb+m for me.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zelmel posted:

I use a controller on the PC, and think the game is actually more fun that way, as the menus and such are pretty well optimized for controllers and always felt kinda clunky on kb+m for me.
It's definitely more fun for DPS combat if you're not typing stuff out, since gamepad controls lend themselves well to running around and positioning yourself and timing attacks. Doing a tank or healer role is a bit more difficult for me since gamepad subjects you to weird button combos to achieve proper target juggling, while with a mouse you could just click and go. Gamepad controls are of course likely less desirable for inventory management and sometimes I mess up crafting on pad. You can however actually set up separate hotbars for each control method and switch between them in the system menu (and maybe even with a keybind?) so you can have the scheme that fits you best for each situation.

Remember on the DS4 you have that touchpad, so in a pinch you can reach out and click something with that rather than switch to kb/m. If I could mentally program myself to use that for targeting maybe I could do a healer or tank role.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 3, 2015

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

CrashCat posted:

You are playing the exact same servers as the PC people so you don't need to care which platform the goons are playing on, aside from whether they're incompetent with it.

Well that's pretty cool.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

CrashCat posted:

It's definitely more fun for DPS combat if you're not typing stuff out, since gamepad controls lend themselves well to running around and positioning yourself and timing attacks. Doing a tank or healer role is a bit more difficult for me since gamepad subjects you to weird button combos to achieve proper target juggling, while with a mouse you could just click and go. Gamepad controls are of course likely less desirable for inventory management and sometimes I mess up crafting on pad. You can however actually set up separate hotbars for each control method and switch between them in the system menu (and maybe even with a keybind?) so you can have the scheme that fits you best for each situation.

Remember on the DS4 you have that touchpad, so in a pinch you can reach out and click something with that rather than switch to kb/m. If I could mentally program myself to use that for targeting maybe I could do a healer or tank role.

For healing, at least, it's not a problem on a controller. The targeting just follows a different logic than tab targeting does, and that takes some getting used to. I like the cross pad more than traditional hotbars at this point, though (that may have more to do with being totally burnt out on hotbar-based play).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bob NewSCART posted:

Well that's pretty cool.
If you find you like FFXIV enough and you don't have a spare USB keyboard lying around, the Logitech k400 puts a cut down keyboard and touchpad in one wireless board that lasts a long time on a couple AA batteries. If you'd rather mouse on your lap from the couch the Dell XPS mousepad has a hard back so you can use it away from a desk, or you can just get one of the thousands of lap desks out there. I've been fussing around with these solutions lately since I recently got a TV that is a better monitor than my actual computer monitor.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

PBC has a new champion in C'olonel Sander's latest glamour:

Professor Genki Doctor Kweh will see you now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zelmel posted:

For healing, at least, it's not a problem on a controller. The targeting just follows a different logic than tab targeting does, and that takes some getting used to. I like the cross pad more than traditional hotbars at this point, though (that may have more to do with being totally burnt out on hotbar-based play).
For tanking its the same way, you just have to use the L1+dpad up/down controls for scrolling through the enmity list, and be aware of your targeting filters if you have to pick up threat on something that isn't on the list. And yeah you can use the DS4 touchpad to mouse target things as a last resort, but I never need to.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zelmel posted:

Yeah, I think if I got used to switching modes I could cycle pretty quickly, but still slower than I would be on mouse. Also I should probably mention that the Logitech k400 defaults to special keys instead of function keys on the top row, which annoys me a bit. If anyone knows another good pad+board combo with usable F-keys I'd be interested.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How's playing as a melee DPS on controller?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Gamepad FF14 is insanely good, in general, and melee DPS has the fewest hangups when playing on a gamepad. Just bind assist to R3 or something.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bob NewSCART posted:

That's probably the easiest, since you have the least target shifting and there's basically a 'target the thing in front of me' button you can use. The default shoulder target switching in combat changes to tabbing through enemy targets, and having your fingers near the sticks at all times makes it stupid simple to dodge attack telegraphs (so long as you don't use lock on, because lock on is stupid and makes you walk backwards more slowly for no good reason)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like lock-on, but you have to be prepared to unlock and run away. And also know when its just a bad idea to use it for other reasons.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 3, 2015

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

RuanGacho posted:

PBC has a new champion in C'olonel Sander's latest glamour:

Professor Genki Doctor Kweh will see you now.

It's Goldkwehinger! "No, Mr. Bo, I expect you to DIE!"

jwang fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 4, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main advantage PC has over PS4 is that you can run ACT/Guildwork and also use Mumble (or TS3 or whatever). I mean you can use your phone for the latter but that's just awkward.

e: also you can't login if PSN is down

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 4, 2015

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q

cheetah7071 posted:

To be fair, that hest is super confusing. I can't think of any other fight in the game that expects DPS to have 100% downtime on the boss and let the tank plink away at its HP.

The bubbles come out in 4 or 5 waves based on the boss' health.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've concluded it's pretty much impossible to play this on ps4 given how bad the network is. I like it enough to upgrade from my trial to standard and play the PC version, though. Playing an MMO again feels bittersweet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I've concluded it's pretty much impossible to play this on ps4 given how bad the network is. I like it enough to upgrade from my trial to standard and play the PC version, though. Playing an MMO again feels bittersweet.
Are you using wifi on the PS4 or what?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think you should clarify its YOUR network that's poo poo. Hell, I use Wi-Fi and play PS4 and while I haven't done end coil content (I've done T4/5/7 and that's it) I've done extreme primals with no issue. So yeah, network is just fine for Ps4.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

homeless snail posted:

Are you using wifi on the PS4 or what?

Yes, Wifi. It works fine on every other console: 3DS, Vita, XB1, PS3 even, but for some reason the ps4's net is just garbage no matter how I tweak it.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The problem is less with the PS4 and more with PSN. The network, if the launcher is to be believed, has been having some problems lately.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

You're only authenticating yourself to your account in order to log into FFXIV with PSN; you're not actually connecting to the game through it and using its connection.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ilifinicus posted:

You're only authenticating yourself to your account in order to log into FFXIV with PSN; you're not actually connecting to the game through it and using its connection.

That's what I thought as well, but the PC ver has been running much better in the hour or so i've been using it so far. Latency is lower, and no lag yet.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

That's what I thought as well, but the PC ver has been running much better in the hour or so i've been using it so far. Latency is lower, and no lag yet.
are any of these two cabled? because WiFi is always garbage for online gaming on consoles, while PC can get away with it if the hardware is good enough.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ilifinicus posted:

are any of these two cabled? because WiFi is always garbage for online gaming on consoles, while PC can get away with it if the hardware is good enough.

The PC is almost exclusively wired, and the ps4 is almost exclusively wireless, but I have tried a wired connection on the ps4 before for other things with no difference (actually, I think it was to download files, and there was no speed difference from what already were crippled speeds).

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Found this old screenshot in one of my folders, seriously one of the best looking MMORPGs on the market.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BabyRyoga posted:

I have literally no network issues on PS4, aside from when it was ddosed to all hell anyway. I haven't had a single d/c in my months of playing.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

The PC is almost exclusively wired, and the ps4 is almost exclusively wireless, but I have tried a wired connection on the ps4 before for other things with no difference (actually, I think it was to download files, and there was no speed difference from what already were crippled speeds).

I've been having weird, inconsistent lag issues within my own house on a wired network, with others reporting issues too but not everyone. I think something's a little screwy with the servers at the moment, but it seems to be improving.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I've had tiny bits of lag, for like 20 seconds once yesterday but that was while playing around 10 hours that day, and today I disco'd but my PS4 pretty much hard locked on me so I'm willing to claim the Ps4 was the issue and froze up.

You didn't do that MTU fix when PSN was down and not change it back, did you?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Eej posted:

The main advantage PC has over PS4 is that you can run ACT/Guildwork and also use Mumble (or TS3 or whatever). I mean you can use your phone for the latter but that's just awkward.

e: also you can't login if PSN is down
You could of course get around that with a wireless headset if you really wanted to, but it definitely is more convenient.

BabyRyoga posted:

Yeah, it might seem like there's no difference sometimes but I really notice how easy it is to interfere with WiFi when I am playing games with a frequent stream of inputs. I also noticed that remote playing totally wired from my PSTV to the PS4 on the same switch was pretty smooth when playing an offline game, but as soon as I booted up FFXIV to get a little crafting done the remote play got almost unbelievably bad. For an RPG either that game is a lot more demanding than I'd expect or the PS4 is piss-poor at managing multiple network connections.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CrashCat posted:

You could of course get around that with a wireless headset if you really wanted to, but it definitely is more convenient.

People who don't use Push To Talk are literally subhuman

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

As I understand it, the problem with gaming over the console wi-fi isn't a speed issue, but rather a packet loss issue. Wi-fi - and particularly ps4 and ps3 wi-fi - have a tendency to drop packets far more often than a wired connection. On a large download, this averages out and is hardly noticeable, but for something like online gaming where milliseconds count, it leads to some bad latency issues.

I play on a ps4, and have found this game in particular to be nigh unplayable over wi-fi, while a wired connection makes it run smoothly with very rare latency issues.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Eej posted:

People who don't use Push To Talk are literally subhuman
I just consider that another engineering challenge. :colbert:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So when can we expect our 2.5 trailer? I'm super hyped.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PhilippAchtel posted:

As I understand it, the problem with gaming over the console wi-fi isn't a speed issue, but rather a packet loss issue. Wi-fi - and particularly ps4 and ps3 wi-fi - have a tendency to drop packets far more often than a wired connection. On a large download, this averages out and is hardly noticeable, but for something like online gaming where milliseconds count, it leads to some bad latency issues.

I play on a ps4, and have found this game in particular to be nigh unplayable over wi-fi, while a wired connection makes it run smoothly with very rare latency issues.

Also another issue of Wifi is the connection is half-duplex instead of full-duplex

You only get half of your advertised bandwidth unless you are transmitting on one frequency and recieving on another (2.4GHZ/5GHZ MIMO), which only the most expensive wifi routers support, and even then the wireless stack in windows doesn't know how to handle that, you have to use the manufacturer's software for your wifi plugin thing. If you're on console, you're stuck on half-duplex with no chance for a full-duplex connection.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Does anyone know why healers like to stand behind tanks recently? It's seem to become the new hotness for tanks to pull, turn the mob away, then you have a healer that stands behind you, at risk for a cleave or some other mechanic.

I was tanking Amon during a st run yesterday, and one of the healers in the group was standing so close to me, that he kept getting hit by the Colatura flame cleave attack. At one point, I told him to take a few steps back so he doesn't get cleaved, and he does, but a minute later he moves closer to me again, gets cleaved, and dies. He never yelled at me in a pubbie rage or anything like that, but I've noticed more healers want to stand in the area behind the tank when they're tanking. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just getting (un)lucky in the pubbie healer roulette?

Meatball fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 4, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Meatball posted:

Does anyone know why healers like to stand behind tanks recently? It's seem to become the new hotness for tanks to pull, turn the mob away, then you have a healer that stands behind you, at risk for a cleave or some other mechanic.

I was tanking Amon during a st run yesterday, and one of the healers in the group was standing so close to me, that he kept getting hit by the Colatura flame cleave attack. At one point, I told him to take a few steps back so he doesn't get cleaved, and he does, but a minute later he moves closer to me again, gets cleaved, and dies. He never yelled at me in a pubbie rage or anything like that, but I've noticed more healers want to stand in the area behind the tank when they're tanking. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just getting (un)lucky in the pubbie healer roulette?
I've noticed some healers doing this when I'm tanking in expert roulette, too, on trash. Usually fine, but I don't understand why they're doing it.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Meatball posted:

I would assume the logic is that the mobs don't move if the healer accidentally take aggro. Why they would assume they're going to take aggro when fighting Amon is another mystery entirely.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

T11 wipe, 1%, melee LB3 banked and everything.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Was doing a trial of ifrit as my level 20 GLA (not my first time but first time tanking it) and couldn't get any aggro at all despite spamming every drat aggro tool I had the entire fight. Nothing I could do could grab aggro at all. Was this just a case of a bunch of higher level people doing the fight so they had better gear/stats and way outpaced my aggro abilities? Or was I doing something wrong? I haven't had any problems at all tanking any other fight so far.

• Locked thread