Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Why is Luigi so high?

Because down throw leads to guaranteed follow-up moves, just like a certain monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
And just like twenty years ago, Diddy still manages to one-up Sonic even when the hedgehog is at the top of his game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://imgur.com/hfiFyAe I guess this is a visual representation of the rankings that just came out from Anther's Smash 4 ladder?

Goes from left to right so Diddy's number 1 and Sheik's number 2.
I'm not surprised to see Samus and Ganon at the bottom, but I'm not exactly happy either.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Greninja is not good enough for "B Tier"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Greninja's easily good enough for B tier.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Greninja's trash. He's poop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What makes Dr. Mario so much worse than normal Mario?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Too much time in med school, not enough time at fight school.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Recovery is poo poo, his up B seems to go like 2/3rds of the way

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

How are Pit and Dark Pit in separate tiers?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I asked the other night, but it got lost. Does beating Classic mode in Co-Op count toward the "Beat Classic on 7.0 with all characters" challenge? It would, obviously, cut the tedium in half if I could do that.

Also, god drat IT does 9.0 suck dick. I beat it several times with Bowser, but never without losing a single life. It's maddening. I beat Boss Rush on Intense in Brawl, so I'm used to getting bullshitted by Smash, but...:sigh: Maybe I'm not the gamer I once was. :negative:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SilverSupernova posted:

How are Pit and Dark Pit in separate tiers?

The same way Fox and Falco are. Small adjustments make a big difference.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
What did they use to determine the tier list? A lot of tier lists have really odd methods, like usage percentage in tourneys over win percentages, or just using public opinion that can throw off results.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

The same way Fox and Falco are. Small adjustments make a big difference.

This seems especially weird to me, because the differences between fox and falco are actually really huge, but dark pit and pit's differences are really minor

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

What did they use to determine the tier list? A lot of tier lists have really odd methods, like usage percentage in tourneys over win percentages, or just using public opinion that can throw off results.

Pretty sure it was wins/losses?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who do you main in the new Smash Bros.?

random button

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pretty sure it was wins/losses?

Yeah I think this is just tournament performance. Some of the lower tier characters just might not be getting played enough by good players.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Theta Zero posted:

This list is based on an an online ladder, which is sort of like a never-ending tournament. It takes results from reported matches and averages out the numbers to make a tier list. So, this list is purely numbers, not opinions.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Maple Leaf posted:

This list is based on an an online ladder, which is sort of like a never-ending tournament. It takes results from reported matches and averages out the numbers to make a tier list. So, this list is purely numbers, not opinions.

That's not perfect but...it's pretty air tight compared to other methods.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

I asked the other night, but it got lost. Does beating Classic mode in Co-Op count toward the "Beat Classic on 7.0 with all characters" challenge? It would, obviously, cut the tedium in half if I could do that.

Also, god drat IT does 9.0 suck dick. I beat it several times with Bowser, but never without losing a single life. It's maddening. I beat Boss Rush on Intense in Brawl, so I'm used to getting bullshitted by Smash, but...:sigh: Maybe I'm not the gamer I once was. :negative:

For the former, I think it counts as 2 clears, one for each character, so you can clear poo poo up at twice the speed if you're playing with two separate uncleared characters.

And yeah, 9.0 with no stock loss is one hell of a pain in the rear end; you really need a good equipment setup for that, with Risky Respawner (where the penalty means nothing when dealing with the challenge) and at least one of Vampire or Auto-Healer. I'm thankful Falcon can one-shot Miis with both dash and ground Raptor Boost, but I don't know about Bowser. The first five stages can get riddled with RNG bullshit and the Master Core forms need a lot of practice. Fortress is too comically easy by comparison.

If you pick fights with a lot of enemies, let them fight it out first and play keep-away until one or two remain, but they can gun after you for no reason.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Reinanigans posted:

Pretty sure co-op counts for both characters. I'll check my Wii U a bit later though to confirm.

Edit: Yeah, I got the challenge but like 20 of my characters haven't cleared solo classic.

Accursed Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 4, 2015

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Little Mac posted:

Why is Luigi so high?
The big thing is that down throw combos with everything, including super jump punch - you can basically just grab characters, throw them down, jump up, and do his up-b, and they die with no way of stopping it.

A second change is that his down-smash's sweet spot is much better now - it's much safer to spike people than it was before.

By the number's he's actually a little weaker and does less damage than he did in Brawl, but those two things do wonders.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
also two dollar slices

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
dr. mario owns and that list is for terrible people

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I was really excited to use Dr. Mario again. Then I used him and noticed that I go nowhere with his up+B and it's a noticeable difference from Mario. Also his cape doesn't seem to have range or something, I can't figure out what's different about it but there's something different. Down+B is a pretty good attack though but besides that, he's an inferior Mario.

Too bad.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.
Hey, are we still doing that whole "post your NNID" thing? 'Cause I somehow didn't notice this thread for a month and a half. Mine is Roundabout_Route. I eagerly await the opportunity to spam Falcon Punches at you guys.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I'm not surprised to see Samus and Ganon at the bottom, but I'm not exactly happy either.
Ganon's placement makes perfect sense if you consider that is E is for Evil.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
That tier list isn't actually based on theory, it's based on usage and wins on the Ladder. There's a really huge writeup on it over on the reddit, but essentially all it's saying is 'These are the most powerful characters when comparing usage to winrate', less than 'This character has frame advantage here'.

Samus is not the third worst character in the game by any stretch of the imagination, there just aren't many Samus mains active on the Ladder.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jesus, look at this stupid thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLGa_pyzBA

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

What an unnecessary video. A few black pixels does not a Captain Falcon make.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Also his cape doesn't seem to have range or something, I can't figure out what's different about it but there's something different.

According to the wiki, his cape has less horizontal hitbox, and a taller vertical one.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

laplace posted:

That tier list isn't actually based on theory, it's based on usage and wins on the Ladder. There's a really huge writeup on it over on the reddit, but essentially all it's saying is 'These are the most powerful characters when comparing usage to winrate', less than 'This character has frame advantage here'.

Samus is not the third worst character in the game by any stretch of the imagination, there just aren't many Samus mains active on the Ladder.

Hi, im your friendly neighborhood friend; Mathematics. A win/Loss ratio gives every character a decimal value between 1 and 0. Isn't learning fun? :eng101:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Yeah, I know that. The math is in the Reddit thread I mentioned, where they went into explicit detail to explain that this was both 1. Not an accurate tier list and 2. Greatly in favor of the characters who are more used because there wasn't enough data to calculate for a lot of the low use characters.

It's the same reason why if you compare winrate results to the actual tiers in Melee, Fox doesn't actually come out on top. I believe Falco or Marth actually edges Fox out, but I can't actually remember. Tier lists are a lot more than just who wins the most. There's also a thread on Smashboards dedicated entirely to this. All I was saying was that there's no need to get your panties in a bunch about a win list published from an extremely small community (Anther's Ladder), because even they acknowledged that the list isn't completely accurate once you get out of the top 5.

laplace fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 4, 2015

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Reinanigans posted:

As others said, yes, but be VERY careful with this.

The co op character select screen only shows your highest scoring pair, so keep very careful track of who you have and haven't cleared 7.0 with or you'll be stuck not knowing who still needs to clear the thing which essentially means you have to do it all over again until the trophy pops. Happened to me but luckily I only had to clear it with about 5 people again before finding the error.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

wouldn't it say who you beat it with in the records?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

LemonAIDS posted:

wouldn't it say who you beat it with in the records?

Nope, 3ds records did but wiiu does not.

Checking trophies lets you see who you've cleared with but doesn't tell you the difficulty you did it at, so you can get screwed if you did some lower runs earlier.

You can also be screwed by checking the solo classic character select screen if for example you made an attempted run at 7.0+, but quit after game overing, as it will list your score up to that point anyway.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Dieting Hippo posted:

This guy gets it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dieting Hippo posted:

On the other hand, Luigi is fairly high and that is awesome!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I don't need a list to tell me what characters I suck with. I suck with Diddy Kong because I'm not very good. I'm best with Bowser and I'm getting better with Zero Suit Samus. I can't do Sonic for poo poo since I end up zooming myself off the board. Diddy Kong being maybe the best doesn't mean that I'm going to be any better with him unless I severely change my playstyle.

Then again, I'm never going to try to get good at this game because then I won't have fun with my friends, because none of us are that good, and nobody will want to play against the guy who will own them every time.

It's a stupid list and nobody should care about it in any way. Play with the characters you have fun with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

I don't need a list to tell me what characters I suck with. I suck with Diddy Kong because I'm not very good. I'm best with Bowser and I'm getting better with Zero Suit Samus. I can't do Sonic for poo poo since I end up zooming myself off the board. Diddy Kong being maybe the best doesn't mean that I'm going to be any better with him unless I severely change my playstyle.

Then again, I'm never going to try to get good at this game because then I won't have fun with my friends, because none of us are that good, and nobody will want to play against the guy who will own them every time.

It's a stupid list and nobody should care about it in any way. Play with the characters you have fun with.

Just play free for alls then, I'm a lot better than my group is but I still only win maybe 25% of the time out of 5 people because that's kind of what happens in a free for all with them, even when no items are on.

• Locked thread