Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nocheez posted:

I did this. It was on clearance from best buy for $10. I don't know why I only bought one copy.

I'll have to scour the local shops over the weekend, thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I bought the original and the disc import tool, do I have to download the original and do something in that to access the songs in 2014?

Xaq
Nov 7, 2003
(Insert witty title here)

Gough Suppressant posted:

I bought the original and the disc import tool, do I have to download the original and do something in that to access the songs in 2014?

I think you just need update 2014? Sorry, it's been a while.

Xaq fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 2, 2015

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Pretty suse your have to start the game up and have a save file recorded before 2014 will recognize that you've got it.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

You don't need to do anything, just own RS1 and the disc import tool.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just started playing this a few days ago and I am loving it. The progression seems right and I find it hilarious how it ups the difficulty by 1 extra note randomly and my hands just poo poo the bed.

The one thing I have a question is the song based missions. There's usually a box that says "Play Chords 101" or something along those lines but I have no idea what it's referring to. Also when it says "Play a recommended song" as a mission does that just mean sort by "Recommended" and pick one from the top?

Finally, for their 60 day challenge what's the average play time per day that they recommend? I'm averaging about 1 hour right now as I develop my finger calluses.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Chords 101 is in the lessons tab. Recommended song, yeah that should work# but on xbox one I don't have a "recommended" song to chose from...so I'm stuck. One hour a day is the goal on sixty day challenge.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dead Pressed posted:

Chords 101 is in the lessons tab.

Oh, I just assumed it was a song specific quest.

I tried doing Star Chords on "House of the Rising Sun" and it was having me play E5 and A5 chords which is odd since none of those show up at all in the song.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

m.hache posted:

Oh, I just assumed it was a song specific quest.

I tried doing Star Chords on "House of the Rising Sun" and it was having me play E5 and A5 chords which is odd since none of those show up at all in the song.

I think the suggestions are more to point towards games or lessons that might help improve a technique that is used in the game. It doesn't always match up exactly with what is in the song right away. If you keep playing Star Chords eventually you will be doing more difficult chords, and its a good finger exercise no matter what chords you will be playing.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

JHVH-1 posted:

I think the suggestions are more to point towards games or lessons that might help improve a technique that is used in the game. It doesn't always match up exactly with what is in the song right away. If you keep playing Star Chords eventually you will be doing more difficult chords, and its a good finger exercise no matter what chords you will be playing.

That's right. Star Chords always starts you out with E5s and A5s because they're about the easiest chord in the entire chord book. It doesn't really tailor itself to a particular song.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

here is next week's DLC clue if interested

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

You know how there are "rap-beds" available for people to freestyle too?, are there "jazz-beds" anywhere on the internet I'm not able to find?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You mean backing tracks? There are tons, YouTube has a bunch that people have uploaded too. And you can get tools where you set up a progression and it produces a loop for you to play over, if you want infinite practice. What are you looking for in particular?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

unlawfulsoup posted:

Tone cable is by far the best solution, there are ways around it but they are kind of lousy.

Coming back to this from last page: I've scoured pretty much every shop in my city and nobody has new boxed copies of Rocksmith (either the old version or 2014), period. There was one shop that did have a copy of the old game for PC, but without the cable. So cannibalizing the cable from an older, cheaper version of the game isn't going to be possible.

Checking my local Big Box Electronic Store's website, most people who purchased the game from them (without cable already included) bought this generic 6.3mm-to-USB cable specifically for plugging a guitar into a PC, and it looks nearly identical to the Real Tone cable.

My question is: is there literally something completely exceptional about the Real Tone cable that makes it required use (hardware DRM?), or is buying this seemingly identical cable going to work just fine? Most of the stuff I'm reading online about people trying to get around using the Real Tone cable are ones where people want to plug their existing 6.3mm cables into the sound cards directly, or use a 6.3mm-to-3.5mm adapter to plug it into their PC's line in. That's not what I want to know. Most people are also bitching about the price of the Real Tone cable itself as incentive for finding something else -- that's not my motivation at all, my motivation is not wanting to wait a month or more on the off-chance that Amazon finally gets the cable in stock in Europe.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Basically hardware DRM.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

CitrusFrog posted:

Basically hardware DRM.

Meh, I should have known better. Ubisoft.

Guess I'll be able to play this game sometime in February, then. Unless I scour Ebay, maybe someone is selling old copies of the game + cable there.

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010
I just bought a guitar and rocksmith 2014 and original for song import. I'm going to embark on the 60 day challenge today. Have never played a guitar before but its always something Ive wanted to learn. Here's hoping that my Guitar Hero skills transfer over(im assuming they dont one bit!)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Bubba77 posted:

I just bought a guitar and rocksmith 2014 and original for song import. I'm going to embark on the 60 day challenge today. Have never played a guitar before but its always something Ive wanted to learn. Here's hoping that my Guitar Hero skills transfer over(im assuming they dont one bit!)

Guitar hero carried over for me in the sense that playing GH made me want to pick up and learn to play a real guitar, so that is always something.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Guitar Hero will at least help to give you a feel for rhythm if you have absolutely no background in music whatsoever.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Re: the disc import tool, I got it to work by installing rocksmith original, going through profile setup, then verifying game cache of 2014, it downloaded ~250mb and then I was good to go.

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010

Drone posted:

Guitar Hero will at least help to give you a feel for rhythm if you have absolutely no background in music whatsoever.

that's reassuring. I have never played an instrument in my life. My dad however is an expert at Guitar and actually published a few songs(mostly played on 80s sitcoms!). I am hoping that is one of the traits he passed on to me. I got his obesity and body hair, so why not the music skills?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Drone posted:

Meh, I should have known better. Ubisoft.

Guess I'll be able to play this game sometime in February, then. Unless I scour Ebay, maybe someone is selling old copies of the game + cable there.

YMMV

http://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/2qum4u/i_really_need_help_i_dont_know_where_else_to_ask/cn9qb4b

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

In the end I found a sealed copy of Rocksmith for 360 that has the cable included on eBay somewhere in Austria, for less than the cost of the cable itself. It should be here this week.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
loving hell, is there like a bootcamp for one's pinky finger? Not so much on bass, but with rhythm guitar it's like a useless vestigial piece of hand that trips up otherwise doable chord changes lol.

e: I know it's called 'practice'; just felt like bitching about a digit.

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 3, 2015

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
next week's DLC is Linking Park

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ SHUT UP!!!

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

loving hell, is there like a bootcamp for one's pinky finger? Not so much on bass, but with rhythm guitar it's like a useless vestigial piece of hand that trips up otherwise doable chord changes lol.

e: I know it's called 'practice'; just felt like bitching about a digit.

The answer really is pinky bootcamp though - try this:
  • set a metronome click so you have a precise target you need to hit every time
  • fret a string somewhere with your index finger, your pinky will be three frets up
  • play that index finger note, then on the next click fret the pinky note (keeping the index finger down)
  • next click lift it off and play the index finger note again - aim to be exact with the timing, which you won't be, but try!
  • keep doing that without stopping for ten minutes

I guarantee you if you do that, then try playing your song again, your finger will be turbocharged and ready for action. It's a warmup really, which always helps, but it's good to focus on the things you're having trouble with too, and exercise those skills. Really you'd want something that involves all your fingers, but it's fine to spend a little time giving the pinky some personal training if it needs it

If you want to make it harder, move to a lower fret (more stretching), or try hammering on and pulling off for the entire time (as in, you pick one (1) note and the rest is constant slurring, in time thanks). You'll probably have to repick the note after a while, because your fingah is too weak und puny to handle dis easy task :thejoke:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

The guys at Reddit think it's Linkin Park hahaha oh man. That's a pack to play alone in the dark too.

Like I do when I play AFI :getin:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

toymach1ne posted:

next week's DLC is Linking Park

This better be true, LP rules.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Freak Futanari posted:

This better be true, LP rules.

SHUT UP!!!!

Were they on the 7-string bandwagon? I forget

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No, just in Eb from what I recall.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
It's nice to have some DLC that I don't want and will never play, as opposed to all the other DLC which I do want but am unable to play.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

baka kaba posted:

You mean backing tracks? There are tons, YouTube has a bunch that people have uploaded too. And you can get tools where you set up a progression and it produces a loop for you to play over, if you want infinite practice. What are you looking for in particular?

Yes this thank you! I wasn't looking for anything in particular. Do you have some favorite backing tracks I should check out?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mercedes posted:

Yes this thank you! I wasn't looking for anything in particular. Do you have some favorite backing tracks I should check out?

are you just looking for beats? There's so much out there but here's a couple good starts I guess

Cannibal Ox Cold Vein album instrumentals by El-P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y94JuogT-IQ

or some Diamond D instrumentals https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu7MB1zCWP76jMS-gNn7yxGxwFwMzlqHP

highlight from that playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_t3EQXGw0

unless that's not what you mean, in which case nm

e- oh wait you did say jazz

ee- gently caress it here's another option I don't know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7L9zL1r5u0

eee- or just an album of breakbeat jazz/funk why not, ok I'll stop
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUSRfoOcUe4Y5wY1tZX7zvEreJnUwhaeP

Snowy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 4, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gonna get that LP DLC if that's what it is, no shame.

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010
After my first day I logged about 2 hours into Rocksmith 2014 today. First time playing a guitar ever. My left wrist is pretty sore from curling my fingers up and around to hit the frets. I'm guessing Ill just have to get used to it, or find a better way to position my left hand. Ive been doing the lessons today and when I got frustrated on one finally I tried a few songs. A good day one, but drat my wrist hurts....

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bubba77 posted:

After my first day I logged about 2 hours into Rocksmith 2014 today. First time playing a guitar ever. My left wrist is pretty sore from curling my fingers up and around to hit the frets. I'm guessing Ill just have to get used to it, or find a better way to position my left hand. Ive been doing the lessons today and when I got frustrated on one finally I tried a few songs. A good day one, but drat my wrist hurts....

http://www.fretjam.com/how-to-hold-a-guitar.html

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010

Thanks, that helps. I am playing on PC so I'm on a desk chair in a confined space which may not be the best situation. Ill try to work on that later before jumping back in.

I was really making my way through the lessons until I hit slides 101. Its the first lesson where they just add a second string in without mentioning it beforehand. I spent 25 minutes on the same riff and could not do it. I got it twice on slow speed but couldnt make it happen on normal. Thats when I told myself to shut it down for the night. Hopefully tonight I can hit that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Bubba77 posted:

Thanks, that helps. I am playing on PC so I'm on a desk chair in a confined space which may not be the best situation. Ill try to work on that later before jumping back in.

I was really making my way through the lessons until I hit slides 101. Its the first lesson where they just add a second string in without mentioning it beforehand. I spent 25 minutes on the same riff and could not do it. I got it twice on slow speed but couldnt make it happen on normal. Thats when I told myself to shut it down for the night. Hopefully tonight I can hit that.

If you have a strap for your guitar, you could always stand and play too. And if you don't have a strap, they cost like ten bucks.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Bubba77 posted:

Same thing got me stuck when I started. The thing that helped me was actually playing it with the game paused, getting it down that way then going back into the game to nail it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mercedes posted:

Not really! Jazz always seems to be on my to-do list, beyond noodling around and trying bossa nova or walking bass here and there. It might be worth asking around in the Musicians' Lounge, especially the guitar and bass threads (and maybe other instrument megathreads!) for people's favourite practice resources. I know in the guitar and especially bass threads there are a bunch of jazz players, some professional or involved with teaching, so you might get some good recommends

This is neat for putting together drums from various loops:
http://www.drumbot.com/projects/drumbot/

There's a bunch of backing tracks for some jazz standards here:
http://www.ralphpatt.com/Backing.html

This looks possibly awesome - you can select/exclude instruments in your search, so you don't have to compete with a guitar:
http://www.wikiloops.com/tracks/Jazz.php

Things like this are more explicitly about 'here's the progression we'll be repeating' so it might be more useful for improv practice and getting used to common progressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e82UetMJMk

Although I know this is what you really wanted all along!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRHnBus9zP8

Bubba77 posted:

This is about barre chords but the advice still holds. You need to be careful or you'll gently caress something up. No angles, no pain, none of that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sh9a6HzM9Y&t=440s