Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Technic Launcher is updating right now at about a percent every five seconds, and it has its stupid logo plastered irremovably on my screen even as I am posting this. God damnit who thought that was a good idea :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ciaphas posted:

Technic Launcher is updating right now at about a percent every five seconds, and it has its stupid logo plastered irremovably on my screen even as I am posting this. God damnit who thought that was a good idea :mad:

I was literally coming to say this, what a stupid loving thing to force overlay on top of everything else.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Captain Invictus posted:

I was literally coming to say this, what a stupid loving thing to force overlay on top of everything else.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
trying 2 put together a mod pack kind of like hexxit but i can't figure out if i want to exclude tech mods because i'm addicted to the convenience
i'm also very concerned that dimensional doors has not been updated to 1.7.10 and the author is considering skipping straight to 1.8

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Haha. :v:

Thank you to whoever suggested the Life In The Woods modpack. It's fantastic, and while it does have some really dumb extraneous poo poo(does it really need literally hundreds if not thousands of recipes for random food that all do basically the same thing and most aren't even as good as just cooking meat normally), it's really fun to explore and find new biomes. I just entered the nether and had no idea that it would be almost completely changed from the normal Nether, so that was an awesome surprise! Dozens of new nether blocks, mobs, and objects(massive pillars of bone exploding out of the netherrack which can be harvested for bonemeal), as well as basically making it possible to live in the Nether in perpetuity(wood/grass/coal available in the nether if you look hard enough) make the nether actually worth exploring and not boring as sin. It's all just good, mostly sensible additions, I found a bamboo forest and set up my home on a mountaintop nearby, heading down to it whenever I need more bamboo. Seems like that stuff spreads pretty rapidly, I cut down a bunch of it but new ones keep sprouting up. Not sure how the plant mods work out replenishing stuff I've cleared out or if they do at all, I cleared a bunch of groundcover and flowers out and nothing seems to have grown in their place.

Real fun though, definitely the sort of modpack I was looking for. Some stuff is a bit iffy(gently caress ogres) and skeletons are INSANELY DANGEROUS with the Better Archery mod since oftentimes they can rapid fire at you and keep you from getting anywhere near them, but overall it's great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone know if the RFTools teleporters have any items for teleporting yourself back to a teleporter (say, after a nether portal dropped you back off in the middle of loving nowhere again)?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone know if the RFTools teleporters have any items for teleporting yourself back to a teleporter (say, after a nether portal dropped you back off in the middle of loving nowhere again)?

If you wrench a transmitter it will keep power and settings, so you can keep one in your inventory for emergencies. It will get left behind, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Why can't I plant mana beans? I just grew two(!) pure-node Silverwoods outside of my base and it looks like the logs I'm using are in a Magical Forest biome, via F3 mode, so I'm confused.

Thaumcraft is starting to grow on me. The whispers seem so friendly, what with the giving me arcane secrets! Even the golems are cute. I could have set up a MFR planter/harvester for my Magical Crops, but this is novel. I even beat up some dudes worshiping at an obsidian altar.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You have to grow mana beans on the bottom of logs in a magical biome.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SugarAddict posted:

You have to grow mana beans on the bottom of logs in a magical biome.

Ah, there we go. That worked. Thanks!

Edit: I just watched that trailer for Life in the Woods and I wish I could build stuff that looked that nice. My current base is carved into a chasm and is admittedly kind of ugly.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 3, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

THE PENETRATOR posted:

trying 2 put together a mod pack kind of like hexxit but i can't figure out if i want to exclude tech mods because i'm addicted to the convenience
i'm also very concerned that dimensional doors has not been updated to 1.7.10 and the author is considering skipping straight to 1.8

I'd say try to find mods that circumvent repetition rather than automating it - if it's possible. Hexxit offers a lot of solutions through exploration for unusual features and delving dungeons instead of digging to level fourteen and staying there, or through specialized tools. (I wish legendgear existed for 1.7 - why hasn't another mod let you lift cows over your head and throw them?)

this unfortunately means that any mod you had has to go through some testing, as a lot of mods that sound neat on paper are loving dumb in practice, like zelda sword skills.

I'd recommend mods but most of my knowledge is useless now, when I made a pack it was 1.5 and a lot of the 1.5 downloads are gone now.

probably if tech mods are the only way to get past certain things so the player's hands are freed to go fighting and exploring, they should be put on fast forward (make the ores more available, put machines in dungeon chests, edit the players starting inventory. This is what I had been planning to do with mine before my hard drive got wiped, put some tools and such from more unusual mods in the player's starting inventory to intrigue to player into using them and making dungeon chests more worthwhile)

speaking of hexxit is there something wrong with drops, I killed two endermen with a looting iv sword and didn't get any pearls.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 3, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anything just straight up adds some kind of Town Portal that I can use to go home and then right back where I was before? If not why not?

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
The portal gun mod adds several portal guns and portal frames, which you could combine with wireless redstone to open a portal remotely, then place its mate on a nearby surface.

Journeymap and Mapwriter both allow teleportation to waypoints

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I used to like the crystal wing mod for that but I don't know what happened to it

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
It won't get you back where you were, but Mekanism's teleporter has a remote that will send you back to the matching base unit from anywhere in any dimension.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
My first video is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcLo6yeuDho
Come see how WONDERFUL I AM :byodood:.
(I am crap.)
Edit: the video is still processing.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I'm attempting to get back into Minecraft after about 2 years. I'm playing with a few other people, and am attempting to set up a server. I'm not sure if this is the place I should be asking, but it's a Tekkit server using the Technic Launcher so it seems appropriate.

Ok, so, here's my issue. I'm trying to get things back the way they were two years ago, more or less, in terms of control I had over the server. It seems however, that all the server clients (Bukkit, Spout, Cauldron) got hit by legal action and are now gone? The Tekkit server as provided by the Technic website are not very good. I tried looking up the command list on it with /help, but all that returns is an error. The server itself runs and I can connect to it, it's just the /help command doesn't work. Anyway, besides that, it doesn't seem to support plugins, so I can't get Essentials on it (assuming that even works anymore, it was last updated like two years ago?). What I really want is a teleport set command (I.E, designate current location as "home" or "dungeon", then /TP "home" and it'll teleport me there) and /jump (teleport to where the cursor is pointing). What are my options for getting these commands, is essentially my question.

One other question, does Liteloader work with the Technic Launcher? I'm attempting to install a hotkey mod for the aforementioned teleport commands.

There's an utter lack of documentation on how to get things working anywhere, I've spent the last two hours searching and came up with nothing.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Acne Rain posted:

probably if tech mods are the only way to get past certain things so the player's hands are freed to go fighting and exploring, they should be put on fast forward (make the ores more available, put machines in dungeon chests, edit the players starting inventory. This is what I had been planning to do with mine before my hard drive got wiped, put some tools and such from more unusual mods in the player's starting inventory to intrigue to player into using them and making dungeon chests more worthwhile)

ME^3 did this, you started with a giant malfunctioning base to 'explore' and a quest book of 'things to do' but at it's heart it was just a way to short circuit needing to farm materials, you could instead scavenge complete parts from the 'wreckage'. It was an interesting twist and worth checking out, although I haven't looked at ME^4 so I don't know if it's the same thing. It's a useful lesson from the ex nihilo/hqm playbook though->gathering stuff from the smallest components isn't required to make building things interesting.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Lord Justice posted:

One other question, does Liteloader work with the Technic Launcher? I'm attempting to install a hotkey mod for the aforementioned teleport commands.

There's an utter lack of documentation on how to get things working anywhere, I've spent the last two hours searching and came up with nothing.

There is absolutely no documentation with the current Technic Launcher. It should work with liteloader, as the technic launcher will restore mods that were removed from the modpack, but I don't think it will remove mods. If you are trying to set up a dedicated server that will run while your client is closed, then that requires some scripting, some port forwarding, and some other stuff. If you want to run the server only while your client is open, I think all that requires is you port forward for your router and give the people involved your IP.

Some ISPs specifically forbid you hosting servers of any kind in your contract, Verizon stated that minecraft servers are OK and don't fall under the previous rule.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

SugarAddict posted:

There is absolutely no documentation with the current Technic Launcher. It should work with liteloader, as the technic launcher will restore mods that were removed from the modpack, but I don't think it will remove mods. If you are trying to set up a dedicated server that will run while your client is closed, then that requires some scripting, some port forwarding, and some other stuff. If you want to run the server only while your client is open, I think all that requires is you port forward for your router and give the people involved your IP.

Some ISPs specifically forbid you hosting servers of any kind in your contract, Verizon stated that minecraft servers are OK and don't fall under the previous rule.

All right, thanks. I'm only trying to install one mod with it, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I wasn't aware of the server thing with ISPs, but I'm not in America. I'm currently on Teksavvy Cable in Canada. I've hosted servers before on Telus, and never had any issue, not really expecting anything from Teksavvy either but thanks for the heads up.

Edit to address the client: I'm running a separate server separate from the client launching from the Technic Launcher. I honestly wasn't aware Minecraft supported making a server from the client itself, but regardless, I still want something running when the client is closed. My major issue is the server provided on the Technic website for Tekkit, as it doesn't seem to support plugins (as far as I can tell, I may be wrong, again, no documentation), so I can't get the commands I want.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 4, 2015

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The Bukkit/Cauldron/etc. situation is a bit muddy right now, but one alternative is to use ForgeEssentials, which gives you most of the Bukkit-like commands you'd probably want but only needs a plain Forge server.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Halibut Barn posted:

The Bukkit/Cauldron/etc. situation is a bit muddy right now, but one alternative is to use ForgeEssentials, which gives you most of the Bukkit-like commands you'd probably want but only needs a plain Forge server.

All right, thanks, I'll look into it. It looks as though the server I have has completely crashed and burned for no reason I can ascertain, it's just giving me bad login and end of stream errors when I try to connect to it now. Reset it twice, didn't help. Hopefully switching it will correct the issue.

Edit: Good lord the documention is so incredibly bad, I really don't understand how they're expecting people to use this stuff. So I'm looking at ForgeEssentials and it has the commands I want more or less, but their wiki contains nothing on how to get Tekkit up and running server side. This is probably a lot to ask, but does anyone have instructions on how to get Tekkit running on this thing?

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 4, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

SugarAddict posted:

the technic launcher will restore mods that were removed from the modpack

Is there a way to turn that off? I haven't used the new version of the launcher yet, but I know there have been single player modpacks that I prefer to remove a mod or two from, as well as server modpacks that I prefer using a different minimap mod with. (I really never liked Mapwriter, so I would replace it with Zan's/Voxelmap.)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Halibut Barn posted:

I've never been able to get ForgeEssentials to work. Ever. I was so relieved to find cauldron and its predecessor so I could use bukkit plugins!

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Lord Justice posted:

All right, thanks. I'm only trying to install one mod with it, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I wasn't aware of the server thing with ISPs, but I'm not in America. I'm currently on Teksavvy Cable in Canada. I've hosted servers before on Telus, and never had any issue, not really expecting anything from Teksavvy either but thanks for the heads up.

Edit to address the client: I'm running a separate server separate from the client launching from the Technic Launcher. I honestly wasn't aware Minecraft supported making a server from the client itself, but regardless, I still want something running when the client is closed. My major issue is the server provided on the Technic website for Tekkit, as it doesn't seem to support plugins (as far as I can tell, I may be wrong, again, no documentation), so I can't get the commands I want.

The problem with a pack that old is that finding an appropriate version of Cauldron for it is going to be tricky. You're much better off running the Forge that came with it and ForgeBukkit.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Anyone know where the 'snake heads' are in Material Energy^3 in the 'Egyptian Temple' quest? I've got a hell of a lot of sand from tugging away at the Miner's Delight map's dumb desert base.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Pidmon posted:

Anyone know where the 'snake heads' are in Material Energy^3 in the 'Egyptian Temple' quest? I've got a hell of a lot of sand from tugging away at the Miner's Delight map's dumb desert base.

Look for some smooth (or other Chiselled) sandstone in the sand, there should be a block or two exposed without any digging. The temple is only a couple blocks below the surface. I didn't try it, but you can probably just Chisel yourself some snake head sandstone if you get tired of searching.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
anyone have the numbers on Botania's Mana Fluxfield? Is it a decent tradeoff at all?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's a decent amount. I believe a full mana pool translates to one million RF.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Pidmon posted:

It's in the northwest corner of the miner's delight area, not far down from the surface at all. Very worth going in there, though.

Because I'm a big baby when it comes to minecraft combat, I ended up turning it onto peaceful because while I did install Single Player Commands and could "/killall spiders" and such, it's a pain in the rear end to keep doing that constantly. Especially spiders, I'd do that and get "43 entities removed" after only about 10 seconds since the last time I'd issued that command.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
To be fair, Minecraft combat is terrible and I don't blame you in the slightest for skipping past it where you can.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Sexual Aluminum posted:

anyone have the numbers on Botania's Mana Fluxfield? Is it a decent tradeoff at all?

I'm pretty sure it's only worth considering if you have passive generation and an overflow pool. Since mana generation is so slow, the RF generation is slow as well, and the exchange rate is pretty bad. For instance, you're far better off burning charcoal in a dynamo than feeding endoflames to power a fluxfield. A steam dynamo makes 32k per charcoal, so you need like, 30 charcoal to get 1 million RF right? 30 charcoal fed to endoflames won't get you anywhere near a full mana pool.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a modpack like Crash Landing out there called Blast Off. You are the sole survivor of the apocolyapse and need to build a rocket ship to reach the rest of humanity that jettisoned the planet decades ago. Weather mod is creating horrific weather all over the surface, meteors mod constantly causes explosions everywhere and you have some spacial storage drives for extra resources around the place. Game even starts you with a decent sword, armor and roguelike dungeons peppered around the place. Your starting shelter isn't half shabby either and comes with a weather deflector.

But then you realize there's a bunch of difficult mob mods installed, from Infernal Mobs at its most horrific settings to some mod I don't even know that has Festive Creepers. Which slow you down massively when you get close to them and they toss lit TNT at you. In a hardcore gamemode.

That pretty much makes me not want to deal with this ever

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Blind Duke posted:

There's a modpack like Crash Landing out there called Blast Off. You are the sole survivor of the apocolyapse and need to build a rocket ship to reach the rest of humanity that jettisoned the planet decades ago. Weather mod is creating horrific weather all over the surface, meteors mod constantly causes explosions everywhere and you have some spacial storage drives for extra resources around the place. Game even starts you with a decent sword, armor and roguelike dungeons peppered around the place. Your starting shelter isn't half shabby either and comes with a weather deflector.

But then you realize there's a bunch of difficult mob mods installed, from Infernal Mobs at its most horrific settings to some mod I don't even know that has Festive Creepers. Which slow you down massively when you get close to them and they toss lit TNT at you. In a hardcore gamemode.

That pretty much makes me not want to deal with this ever

The insanity feature looked completely and utterly unfun.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

The insanity feature looked completely and utterly unfun.

AFAIK all enviromine insanity does is make you hear weird noises.

Edit: Looks like Blast-Off is still pretty buggy. Wait before trying it. There's more than one crash, and there's one world-destroying crash from worldgen of all things.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 5, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, some of the little details in mods are really nice. There's a ravine in the middle of this bamboo forest I'm living in, and the falling leaves are a nice touch and all, but then I saw a leaf fall into the ravine and get stuck on a spiderweb. I didn't even know it could do that, I wonder if it's intentional or just a quirk of the particle mechanics. I've always loved minecraft's particle mechanics.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think spiderwebs automatically slow the descent of anything falling into them, including particles, so it's just a coincidence of how it works.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

taiyoko posted:

It's in the northwest corner of the miner's delight area, not far down from the surface at all. Very worth going in there, though.

Because I'm a big baby when it comes to minecraft combat, I ended up turning it onto peaceful because while I did install Single Player Commands and could "/killall spiders" and such, it's a pain in the rear end to keep doing that constantly. Especially spiders, I'd do that and get "43 entities removed" after only about 10 seconds since the last time I'd issued that command.

If you meant the 34 pieces of non-standard smoothstone, that doesn't seem to be anything approaching a 'temple'? like do I need to dig out the limestone around there too?

Also I just emptied out the secret space under the biosphere and finally used those supplies to set up a ME system, and I'm not seeing any way to make Gelid Pyrotheum? Is it more a matter of 'you need to grab these liquids into a bucket that we've got behind the glass' before heading down into the jungle area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Pidmon posted:

If you meant the 34 pieces of non-standard smoothstone, that doesn't seem to be anything approaching a 'temple'? like do I need to dig out the limestone around there too?

Also I just emptied out the secret space under the biosphere and finally used those supplies to set up a ME system, and I'm not seeing any way to make Gelid Pyrotheum? Is it more a matter of 'you need to grab these liquids into a bucket that we've got behind the glass' before heading down into the jungle area?

Honestly it's more like a tomb than a temple. If you found some non-standard sandstone, it's under that.

Yes, grab cryotheum from the world. If you see something valuable anywhere it is free game to take, and you should in most cases take it.

• Locked thread