Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
depends on the type of succession law in England. if it's seniority or elective, it might not go to your son. If it's primogeniture or gavelkind or anything else that is guaranteed to go to the descendants of the title holder, your son will inherit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
But like I mentioned before, England is currently a vassal of the HRE. Would I get absorbed by the HRE or would England split from the HRE?

I wish I could easily test this out but both rulers are super young and it would be decades of time before I found out what happens to their heirs.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Whether or not combined England-Ireland would be a vassal of the HRE is probably going to depend on which of you dies first (and maybe whether the HRE has the "inheritance cannot pass out of the realm" crown authority effect and has absorbed England de jure, but let's leave that out for the moment. :psyduck:). If you die first and your son inherits Ireland, then I think that when his mother dies he will inherit England out of the HRE since he is already independent.

On the other hand, if the Queen of England dies first and your son inherits England from her, then when you die he will inherit Ireland into the HRE since he is already a vassal of a higher-tier title than he would be inheriting.

Which of these is the preferred outcome is really up to you, but if you do end up playing a king of England and Ireland as an HRE vassal you are very likely to be able to push every other vassal and quite possibly the Emperor around at your whim and win an independence faction war whenever you like so, yaknow, that might be fun.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
If, say, you have one son, and the son inherits both, he'll be king of both. period, but I think the HRE will be your primary title, since it's higher level and it's the one attained from your dynasty. On the other hand, if you have two sons, and by some artifact of gavelkind or whatever, one inherits one title and the other gets the other, the lesser (king-level title) will be the vassal of the higher (emperor-level) inheritor.

e: forgot about elector junk. It really does depend about the status of whether titles can inherit out of the HRE.

MindSet fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 4, 2015

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Dallan Invictus posted:

Whether or not combined England-Ireland would be a vassal of the HRE is probably going to depend on which of you dies first (and maybe whether the HRE has the "inheritance cannot pass out of the realm" crown authority effect and has absorbed England de jure, but let's leave that out for the moment. :psyduck:). If you die first and your son inherits Ireland, then I think that when his mother dies he will inherit England out of the HRE since he is already independent.

On the other hand, if the Queen of England dies first and your son inherits England from her, then when you die he will inherit Ireland into the HRE since he is already a vassal of a higher-tier title than he would be inheriting.

Which of these is the preferred outcome is really up to you, but if you do end up playing a king of England and Ireland as an HRE vassal you are very likely to be able to push every other vassal and quite possibly the Emperor around at your whim and win an independence faction war whenever you like so, yaknow, that might be fun.

gently caress, I've been fuming about how to crush the goddamn HRE after they took England like a century ago, and it never occurred to me to simply do it from within.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Spaseman posted:

gently caress, I've been fuming about how to crush the goddamn HRE after they took England like a century ago, and it never occurred to me to simply do it from within.

Being that one overpowered dick of a vassal that you would devote your every effort to crushing if you were the king/emperor is a CK2 experience that everyone should have at least once.

See this example from the group tutorial LP thread

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 4, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dallan Invictus posted:

Being that one overpowered dick of a vassal that you would devote your every effort to crushing if you were the king/emperor is a CK2 experience that everyone should have at least once.

See this example from the group tutorial LP thread

My latest CKII ambition has been to start as a nothing count or maybe duke in the HRE or Byzantine Empire and slowly grow to become that powerful through intrigue and politics over the course of a few generations, but it's really hard to do without save scumming.

There should really be an achievement for reaching like 300% of your liege's power with a suitably catty title.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Byzantine is bullshit because if you become a double duke, people bitch at you for no reason and you're fighting them nonstop.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

When the Mod Stopped Making Sense Suggestion Thread posted:

At the risk of sparking controversy there was/is a feature in the Witcher Kings(?) that allowed you to sexually assault a prisoner, with a possible chance to conceive a child. Might be an interesting addition?

At this point I know it looks like I'm digging, but come on. And it's to be implemented. loup strikes me as an okay guy and maybe one of two or three competent modders on the team, but goddamn dude, if an idea makes you (and everyone else) uncomfortable, put your foot down and say no it's not happening.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can make a prisoner your concubine, Jesus. Does it ruin your immersion that it doesn't come right out and say you're raping her?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Raserys posted:

At this point I know it looks like I'm digging, but come on. And it's to be implemented. loup strikes me as an okay guy and maybe one of two or three competent modders on the team, but goddamn dude, if an idea makes you (and everyone else) uncomfortable, put your foot down and say no it's not happening.

I dunno man I could really go for a rape button, or well

Volkerball posted:

You can make a prisoner your concubine, Jesus. Does it ruin your immersion that it doesn't come right out and say you're raping her?

another rape button

I just think this game really needs some quick-time events is all

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
CK2 is actually one of the few games where rape is an acceptable gameplay element. Because, as Volkerball said, making somebody a concubine is basically rape. And we all did it, either to get claims we can press for our sons, or to turn the heir of kingdom x into a good follower of Odin. Of course we also think nothing of castrating or blinding prisoners, executing them, sacrificing them at a blot or to our Aztec gods, plotting to murder 1 year old children, forcefully converting every Christian to Islam or destroying the cultural identity of all our conquered peoples. What we do as rulers in this game is frequently horrifying, and I don't think rape itself is somehow worse than outright genocide.

In this context, getting the option as a non-pagan to force ourselves on prisoners would actually only be an expansion of something that's already in the game. And it would actually be beneficial (in getting claims once again), instead of necessarily be a straight up power fantasy. On the other hand, I certainly prefer the more subtle approach the main game takes, so it's not really needed to mod the game in this direction.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DStecks posted:

It's not really useful to describe game concept ideas as being specifically for the AI or for the player, since Paradox doesn't design games like that. But yeah, that is pretty much the major design problem: dynasty die-off is hard to do in a way that doesn't feel like bullshit when it happens to you. Personally, I'd favour no-matrimarry as an optional hard mode, instead of tying the game in knots trying to make it fun with that as default. Or, even just as a mod. It's pretty easy to mod in, hell, I've done it. I always wanted to do more with it as a mod though, unless anybody here would be interested in trying out a mod that just removes matrilineal marriage from Catholics?

Catholic families could and sometimes did marry matrilineally in the middle ages, the salient difference is that it's WAY more acceptable in CK2 than it was for realz. You could stick a -200 prestige penalty on everyone involved in arranging a matrilineal marriage, unless one court or the other is under True Cognatic. Or something similar, I dunno. That would probably at least kick the AI into gear with doing it 'realistically', since they do weigh prestige effects. Players of course would probably be as obsessive about their dynasties as ever and spam the introduce court holy man button until they got a dude in the court who was worth forcing to marry their daughters, but there's no stopping that.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Wafflecopper posted:

You say that like getting anyone excommunicated is actually possible.

Why do people say this? I've excommunicated a bunch of people in my last game (on hold due to levy bug). Admittedly it's unnecessarily harder than before and takes someone being a really huge rear end in a top hat, but it still happens.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

CK2 is actually one of the few games where rape is an acceptable gameplay element. Because, as Volkerball said, making somebody a concubine is basically rape. And we all did it, either to get claims we can press for our sons, or to turn the heir of kingdom x into a good follower of Odin. Of course we also think nothing of castrating or blinding prisoners, executing them, sacrificing them at a blot or to our Aztec gods, plotting to murder 1 year old children, forcefully converting every Christian to Islam or destroying the cultural identity of all our conquered peoples. What we do as rulers in this game is frequently horrifying, and I don't think rape itself is somehow worse than outright genocide.

In this context, getting the option as a non-pagan to force ourselves on prisoners would actually only be an expansion of something that's already in the game. And it would actually be beneficial (in getting claims once again), instead of necessarily be a straight up power fantasy. On the other hand, I certainly prefer the more subtle approach the main game takes, so it's not really needed to mod the game in this direction.

If anything, genocide is under-represented. All anyone talks about is rape and being able to bone your sister. Who cares? Aside from the random, and very rare, "You looted this city and it's straight up loving gone now," there's nothing to imply whether you're chivalrous in victory or a Mongol rear end in a top hat who brought every defiant city down around the ankles of its crucified children. You fight armies, and then you siege holdings, both of which only reflect what's happening to the enemies levies. Some wars are just de jure, hey nothing personal, but I'm the big fish and you're the little one. Others I want to bring the wrath of god because the enemy has pissed me off royally. There's nothing in game to reflect that. The most dickish thing you can really do is declare war on someone you just signed a truce with, which just isn't dickish enough.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Torrannor posted:

Realtalk, I do think it would be cool if rulers with lots of lovely traits got up to bad poo poo more often, instead of having it just be a negative modifier to a stat. I guess the reason they don't do that now is so as to not to disrupt peoples games by suddenly forcing them to play as a horrible monster, but it would be an interesting mod. Everybody likes reading about all the crazy poo poo Caligula or Commodus got up to, why not let Lustful, Cruel Lunatics really express why it's a bad idea to put them in charge?

The most successful character in my dynasty so far was a Lunatic who lasted for 50 drat years on the throne. A glorious flameout would have been more fun to be honest.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Spaseman posted:

Can you list some of them, I legit would like to not wait years and years for claims to appear even when I have a really good chancellor.

marriage claims, vassal claims, dynastic claims, de jure claims, papal claims, and invasions are all things you can do under normal Christian feudal circumstances and they're all far more effective than fabricating claims. Depending on your situation you could also holy war and win crusades. The whole point of this game is to set dynastic plans in motion and then wait for the various plans you set in motion to bear fruit.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Fabricating claims is really useful if you can use it to facilitate greater (authentic) claims. Say there's a 3-county Duchy where you control one count, and a single AI realm controls two- neither of which you have a claim on. Fabricate/claim/war/victory will not only give you a De Jure claim on the remaining county, it'll protect you from De Jure claims in return.

They're not the be-all-and-end-all, but it's definitely a nice option to have.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

marriage claims, vassal claims, dynastic claims, de jure claims, papal claims, and invasions are all things you can do under normal Christian feudal circumstances and they're all far more effective than fabricating claims. Depending on your situation you could also holy war and win crusades. The whole point of this game is to set dynastic plans in motion and then wait for the various plans you set in motion to bear fruit.

You're exaggerating a bit. Marriage claims suck poo poo and take decades to kick in. The best is clearly to consistently be building holdings in different counties throughout your realm. When something is finished building, see if there's a male who has a claim on something you want willing to come to your court. If there is, invite, grant him the barony/mayorship/whatever, declare war. Boom, you're done. Sometimes you have to do some stabbings to get a kid the title you're after so a weak claim can be pressed, but it's still a hell of a lot easier than waiting decades and hoping that guy and my daughter have a kid or I'm back to square one. Fabricating claims works pretty well, it's just super inconsistent, and is best used when you want to claim something from a vassal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do you get more soldiers?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

How do you get more soldiers?

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Levies

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

You're exaggerating a bit. Marriage claims suck poo poo and take decades to kick in. The best is clearly to consistently be building holdings in different counties throughout your realm. When something is finished building, see if there's a male who has a claim on something you want willing to come to your court. If there is, invite, grant him the barony/mayorship/whatever, declare war. Boom, you're done. Sometimes you have to do some stabbings to get a kid the title you're after so a weak claim can be pressed, but it's still a hell of a lot easier than waiting decades and hoping that guy and my daughter have a kid or I'm back to square one. Fabricating claims works pretty well, it's just super inconsistent, and is best used when you want to claim something from a vassal.

Err marriage is the best way of taking large swathes of land outside of the tribal invasion cbs. And doesn't even matter if it takes 100 years for a plan to pop off because it's one of practically infinite plans you could have cooking so something is always happening. No need to spend thousands of gold on holdings you aren't even going to keep. What the gently caress is that.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Err marriage is the best way of taking large swathes of land outside of the tribal invasion cbs. And doesn't even matter if it takes 100 years for a plan to pop off because it's one of practically infinite plans you could have cooking so something is always happening. No need to spend thousands of gold on holdings you aren't even going to keep. What the gently caress is that.

can't we all just agree that fabricating claims is basically useless once you hit kingdom-size and leave it at that? it has its use in the early game where no powerful ruler wants to marry their firstborn daughter to your pissant backwater count, and the fab'd claim is dirt cheap (especially for tribal titles!) and then it takes a backseat as you grow and your councilor is better off stirring poo poo up/buttering up reluctant vassals anyway

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Is there a way to see the moral authority of other religions, and is there a way to convert foreign rulers to a different religion without getting lucky capturing them during a war?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

regularizer posted:

Is there a way to see the moral authority of other religions, and is there a way to convert foreign rulers to a different religion without getting lucky capturing them during a war?

Yes, in the ledger, on the religion page. As for part 2, you could use your priest if the target is unreformed pagan.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I was asked to help in a war, because of an alliance, is it ok if I say yes, then don't send any army?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kurtofan posted:

I was asked to help in a war, because of an alliance, is it ok if I say yes, then don't send any army?

Yep, although you do risk the chance of having your own territory sieged, but it's generally a risk worth taking. The AI's not really gonna prioritise a participant over the war leader/wargoal, anyway

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Allyn posted:

Yep, although you do risk the chance of having your own territory sieged, but it's generally a risk worth taking. The AI's not really gonna prioritise a participant over the war leader/wargoal, anyway

The real downside is that there's some stuff you can only do during peacetime and there's no 'back out of war' option. It can suck when an ally drags rear end to end their war and you want to be holding feasts to shore up vassal opinion or what have you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

The real downside is that there's some stuff you can only do during peacetime and there's no 'back out of war' option. It can suck when an ally drags rear end to end their war and you want to be holding feasts to shore up vassal opinion or what have you.

The worst is when you have a huge empire and a ton of vassals and you get a new king who needs to hold a bunch of feasts and peacetime events to increase opinion, and then suddenly a rebel stack pops up in some far-off corner of your realm and he's like "Sorry everybody I can't hold a feast because a force 1/100th the size of the empire's army decided it wants to siege a few provinces really far away."

Like, yeah, I'm sure the emperor of Brittania and France will cancel his huge feast because of the 17th Peasant Revolt for the Faroe Islands, and the Roman Emperor will cancel his hunting trip because of the 8th Tengri Revolt for Cumania which has a whole 400 soldiers to its name.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

And if you recall, my issue was being unable to do anything as a single county duke in Ireland while trying to show someone new the game mechanics.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Can someone explain a mechanic to me, because it seems really bizarre and dumb: I'm the duke of Wessex in the Charlemagne start and the county Sussex is a different religion, so I wage holy war on it. I raise an army of about 1300 and wage war, beat the 600ish army handily and start the siege. Then someone else will also do the same holy war, move onto the county with a 600 strong army, and take control of the siege! What in the everliving gently caress am I supposed to do, and why do I lose control when I have the bigger army?

Edit: nevermind, it seems I actually still got war score for completing the siege even though it said I didn't control it. I've just had similar happen before, especially against someone with multiple counties, where I can't rake up 100% warscore because someone else has sieged a single county, and then, even though they can't have anywhere close to 100%, they'll just win for some reason and my war will be invalid.

Ovenmaster fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 4, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Maybe if you're Catholic or Sunni, but even then I've never seen it result in anything big. Most the time I've tried to marry my son off to a daughter who will get a weak claim, I get turned down due to "political concerns," no matter how high the fathers opinion of me is. And that problem is only magnified when you're talking about King level titles. Add heretic to the mix, and good luck. And since 90% of claimants have weak claims, when you have a shitload of them brewing, it gets really old really fast trying to keep up with who to knife, which marriages aren't resulting in children and are useless, and when spouses died and are useless. I tried one game where I just married off all my children to claimants, and didn't see any point to that over marrying them off to spouses with the highest stats and good inheritable traits. And what else would you do with all your monies other than upgrade your demense? Especially when it gives you the ability to claim a duchy once every few years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ovenmaster posted:

Can someone explain a mechanic to me, because it seems really bizarre and dumb: I'm the duke of Wessex in the Charlemagne start and the county Sussex is a different religion, so I wage holy war on it. I raise an army of about 1300 and wage war, beat the 600ish army handily and start the siege. Then someone else will also do the same holy war, move onto the county with a 600 strong army, and take control of the siege! What in the everliving gently caress am I supposed to do, and why do I lose control when I have the bigger army?

Edit: nevermind, it seems I actually still got war score for completing the siege even though it said I didn't control it. I've just had similar happen before, especially against someone with multiple counties, where I can't rake up 100% warscore because someone else has sieged a single county, and then, even though they can't have anywhere close to 100%, they'll just win for some reason and my war will be invalid.

The trick is to land on a county first. Whoever arrives first will get credit for the siege. Don't worry if other armies are stacking up on top of yours for their own wars. As far as war score, I'm pretty sure the only time you can't get 100% due to a county being held by a foreign army is when the foreign army controls one of your holdings. You can get 100% warscore when a kingdom has a bunch of ongoing revolts, but when you force them to surrender, the revolting counties become independent iirc.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

With a weak claim on a duchy held by someone's vassal, does the succession crisis happen when the title holder dies, or when the liege dies?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can someone explain the design choice behind the following?

I'm Roman Emperor, Greek, have Cataphract Training Grounds in all my own demesne. I die and am replaced by my heir, also Greek. No problem. But then he dies like a year later and is replaced by his own son, who somehow became Italian thanks to being a count in northern Italy (no idea how that happened, but okay). Because the new guy is Italian, even though I event-convert to Greek about a week after I realize he's a foreigner, all the Cataphract Training Grounds in my demesne have disappeared and need to be rebuilt from scratch. Like, seriously, who thought that was a good idea? There was no warning, no popup saying this would happen, no notification that these were torn down to be replaced by nonexistent Italian cultural buildings, no nothing. Just the next time I went to build a building I noticed with a sinking feeling that the buildings I had spent thousands and thousands of gold into creating over the past three centuries have all been torn down overnight because for a week the emperor was Italian.

This is really, really dumb.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
vyelkin: Yes, that's correct, that's how it works and it's retarded. Whenever the culture of the person controlling a holding changes all cultural buildings are instantly and irrevocably destroyed.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Volkerball posted:

The trick is to land on a county first. Whoever arrives first will get credit for the siege. Don't worry if other armies are stacking up on top of yours for their own wars. As far as war score, I'm pretty sure the only time you can't get 100% due to a county being held by a foreign army is when the foreign army controls one of your holdings. You can get 100% warscore when a kingdom has a bunch of ongoing revolts, but when you force them to surrender, the revolting counties become independent iirc.

The situation I talked about is if a duke with, say, 5 counties is a heretic and I declare holy war on them. I attack and start sieging 3 provinces, then someone else declares holy war on him, and even though I siege down 3 provinces I can't get 100% warscore because they're sieging the rest. Then they suddenly win the war even though they shouldn't have 100%. I dunno maybe I missed something.

Also another thing, I just formed the Kingdom of Wessex (with the make your own kingdom event), thinking I would later make England and make it the primary. But it seems like making England isn't possible anymore? Is there any way to rectify this?
edit: I guess conquer/make another country, make primary then destroy Wessex title?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Uh I got excommunicated by the pope, at the behest of the duke I was attacking.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 4, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Uh I got excommunicated by the pope, at the behest of the duke I was attacking.

You are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Demiurge4 posted:

You are hosed.

I soon realized this as the vultures moved in on the cursed Kingdom of Ireland.

All the while England is turning Fraticelli :argh:

• Locked thread