Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
He puts his hand in his breast pocket. Casually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Every persona god is all like "humans want to die and be all hosed up and poo poo" and a plucky group defeats them. Just once I would like to see a persona god be all "peace, man" in a non rear end in a top hat-law way and group of assholes ruin it for everyone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LordAba posted:

non rear end in a top hat-law

This is not possible

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is not possible

It wouldn't be LAW if it was "oh you guys can do your own thing, you're good."

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

It would be cool if the big-bad was some kind of Neutral god just because that'd be a tough scenario to write and make interesting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Frag_Man posted:

It would be cool if the big-bad was some kind of Neutral god just because that'd be a tough scenario to write and make interesting.

The best way you could do that would be something akin to Strange Journey. The world's gone bad in a way that's clearly humanity's fault, and now demons/angels/Shadows/whatever have stepped up as a response to the fact that clearly, humanity's proven themselves unfit to rule.

Which direction you'd take that would vary depending on the branch of the series you'd do it with. Strange Journey's environmentalist route is no less relevant, and you could take leafs from Metal Gear's book for an anti-war direction. Persona could go an interesting direction with a social angle, though; maybe a sleazy politician, or a Murdoch-style media mogul. Have it that they're clearly a bad person, but they aren't creating the problem, they're just capitalizing on it.

Basically, in whichever direction you go with it, you'd want to build on something that makes sane, good people go 'I don't want to live on this planet anymore'.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is not possible

Devil Survivor Overclocked might have an issue with that statement.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Cleretic posted:

With the exception of Ai's early, fake-relationship, you can spend Christmas with any of your girlfriends, and they all give you different items. And no cheating mechanics are implemented in the game that I know of, so you can (some would say should) date all of them.

Except in Golden, in which they ake you pay for it on Valentine's Day.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

P3P is really cool with its direct party control and its better written more interesting protag and S-links and fast travel and lack of shower animes.

Beef Waifu posted:

FES' S. Links were just as dumb as the original ones, it's P3P's which were made better.
I shouldn't be this conflicted between having Shinji survive and "lmaonade". I mean, one of them's probably gonna end up in jail for being a predator and the other's Shinji.

hubris.height posted:

ooohhh yea

a duh duh duh da duh duh duh da da

baby baby
I have no idea what the hell is happening after "get on the floor". Something about triple browns?Cows?Meow?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FeMC had way better s.links but I don't remember her being particularly more interesting other than having "yay!" and poo poo as dialogue options instead of "ok". Basically trading one boring protag personality for the other.
her dialogue options were usually pretty funny and her combat animations/designs had way more personality

she still isn't interesting because she's a complete blank slate but at least she's a likable blank slate

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The same interview that confirmed the butterflies are Philemon hanging around said Belladonna and Nameless are still around, but just unseen. The explanation they used is that the appearance and denizens of the Velvet Room are determined by the person/people visiting. They didn't mention Demon Painter, though.

Nor did they mention Randolph Carter, another Velvet Room denizen.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

FeMC gets a beam naginata and you can make ZHOOM ZWOOM noises pretending to be a gelgoog. FeMC superiority.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HGH posted:

I shouldn't be this conflicted between having Shinji survive and "lmaonade". I mean, one of them's probably gonna end up in jail for being a predator and the other's Shinji.

Which one will love you forever? Which one will be there to comfort you when you're down? Which one will be high in citrus count?

Not Shinji.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

GimmickMan posted:

FeMC gets a beam naginata and you can make ZHOOM ZWOOM noises pretending to be a gelgoog. FeMC superiority.

This is the correct opinion.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hunt11 posted:

Devil Survivor Overclocked might have an issue with that statement.

Regular Devil Survivor, maybe, but Overclocked turns them back into assholes for some eighth day routes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cleretic posted:

P3 MC was a two-pocket man, P4 MC was one-pocket. What sort of pocket man will P5's MC be!?

Clearly he has to be a three-pocket man. Somehow.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The thing I am most curious about for P5 is whether the PS4 version will have any additional features or content compared to the PS3 version, or just look nicer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

StandardVC10 posted:

For some reason I started imagining him to be the new pioneer of excessive jRPG fashion: excessive pockets.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The best way you could do that would be something akin to Strange Journey. The world's gone bad in a way that's clearly humanity's fault, and now demons/angels/Shadows/whatever have stepped up as a response to the fact that clearly, humanity's proven themselves unfit to rule.

I would buy this game if it ever exists someday. Personally, morality choices in games always felt polarized where one side is all "I enjoy killing small defenseless animals and people" or "Warrior of Justice reporting in!" for the MC. It's hilarious in some games (Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura) where the PC can choose to be constantly conflicted psychopath for each interaction w/NPCs.

I did like in DeSu 1 & 2 where each path seemed different and less one way to win if that makes sense? For RK 2 all the choices were very dark and I think I went Chaos. I did try to get the True Demon Ending for Nocturne for the full exp but I'm more a Neutral irl.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HGH posted:

I have no idea what the hell is happening after "get on the floor". Something about triple browns?Cows?Meow?

It always just sounded like "triple brown wow triple brown wow triple brown wow" to me.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Shin Megami Tensei 1 was really impressive to me for having a pretty involved (albeit somewhat obtuse) alignment system for an early 90's JRPG. It's just a shame that very few games have improved upon it or made innovations. I'd kind of like for them to take another crack at Nocturne's approach. It made sense why the characters themselves developed their Reasons but again they suffered from being too extreme. That being said, I think Atlus is still the best in terms of implementing alignment choices. Like Strange Journey can get a little :rolleyes: when Jimenez/Zelenin switch to Chaos/Law Hero Mode but it was never as bad as this,which came out of a recent, popular game revered for its good writing.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Aigis orgia mode.

aigis puts me in orgia mode :fap:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

last night I dreamed that I played Persona and FeMC was about to take a fatal hit so Junpei squeezed her abdomen really hard with giant man hands, turning her head into a rocket and sending it to outer space

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Butt Ghost posted:

last night I dreamed that I played Persona and FeMC was about to take a fatal hit so Junpei squeezed her abdomen really hard with giant man hands, turning her head into a rocket and sending it to outer space

Thanks for the story, Butt Ghost.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

This some sort of sex thing?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Persona is supposed to be Jungian, not Freudian.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ZeusJupitar posted:

Persona is supposed to be Jungian, not Freudian.

Now I want to play Freudian Persona. Imagine Teddies dialog but for everyone and freudian slips instead of puns.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

The Velvet Room in P5 is inside Igor's pocket, which is why you never talk to him.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

The thing I am most curious about for P5 is whether the PS4 version will have any additional features or content compared to the PS3 version, or just look nicer.

Yes, that is the real question, about this game we know nothing about.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

The_Frag_Man posted:

Now I want to play Freudian Persona. Imagine Teddies dialog but for everyone and freudian slips instead of puns.

the intro of P3P seems very heavy on the jungian stuff, even setting aside the obvious "anima/animus" thing

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Iserlohn posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 1 was really impressive to me for having a pretty involved (albeit somewhat obtuse) alignment system for an early 90's JRPG. It's just a shame that very few games have improved upon it or made innovations. I'd kind of like for them to take another crack at Nocturne's approach. It made sense why the characters themselves developed their Reasons but again they suffered from being too extreme. That being said, I think Atlus is still the best in terms of implementing alignment choices. Like Strange Journey can get a little :rolleyes: when Jimenez/Zelenin switch to Chaos/Law Hero Mode but it was never as bad as this,which came out of a recent, popular game revered for its good writing.

C'mon let's all agree everyone's Reasons in Nocturne were just no. I mean, not even PHI 101 level here. I just wanted to cut off my friends during their speeches and get along w/recruiting for my demon army.

BTW: Someone's gotta pay all those healing potions for heroing :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone's reasons loving sucked.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

They were all corrupted by demons, they were supposed to be hosed up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They were actually not corrupted by demons until they had fused with them, prior to that all of the decisions they made were of their own volition and that's not even considering the demons probably didn't have that much influence over their personalities after they fused.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Everyone's reasons loving sucked.

Isamu's reason was really good, but he was kind of a douche.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Iserlohn posted:

Like Strange Journey can get a little :rolleyes: when Jimenez/Zelenin switch to Chaos/Law Hero Mode but it was never as bad as this,which came out of a recent, popular game revered for its good writing.

Fallout 3 was revered for good writing?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

Mara is the final boss

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Really Pants posted:

Mara is the final boss
Every single enemy is Mara wearing different masks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why would Mara wear protection for his face, it's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Why would Mara wear protection for his face, it's beautiful.

I learned in school that Mara should always wear protection for his face.