Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

computer parts posted:

Does this "full " license include the ability to drive 18 wheelers or is that separate like in the US?
That should be category B, under European regulations.

quote:

otor vehicles with a maximum authorised mass not exceeding 3500 kg and designed and constructed for the carriage of no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver; motor vehicles in this category may be combined with a trailer having a maximum authorised mass which does not exceed 750 kg.
Though in Finland it may also include C:

quote:

Large goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass of more than 3.5 t mass and not more than 8 + 1 seats (lorry); with a trailer with a maximum mass of 750 kg.

Edit:
B includes AM:

quote:

Two-wheel vehicles or three-wheel vehicles with a maximum design speed of not more than 45 km/h and with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimetres.
C includes C1:

quote:

Large goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass of not more than 7.5 t; with or without a trailer with a maximum mass of less than 750 kg.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've known people that at least knew how to operate a moving vehicle before they were ten-years-old, but that kind of thing comes with the territory of growing up on a ranch.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

You know, what I had to do to get my driver's license in New Jersey wasn't much different, other than the fact that there was basically no theoretical lesson time I had to pay for because we got free driver's ed that covered it all in public school. Had to pay for 15 hours of driving lessons hands on with an instructor though, and the provisional license came in at 17 (full license at 18).
I got a temporary/tourist license in Florida about 10 years ago with zero driving experince whatsoever from home:
0) I think the whole thing cost about 200USD.
1) 30 min. multiple choice test on a touch screen in the waiting area of the DMV.
2) 20 min. closed course driving test - drive around for a bit, follow the signs, back up, park. Congratulations!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
All you gotta do is pass the driving test in Indiana beginning at 16. Learners Permit can be had at 15 after a brief multiple choice. My parents still made me take lessons through a private driving school and regardless I've wrecked two cars

One of my buddies from South Dakota got his full license at 14.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

All you gotta do is pass the driving test in Indiana beginning at 16. Learners Permit can be had at 15 after a brief multiple choice. My parents still made me take lessons through a private driving school and regardless I've wrecked two cars

One of my buddies from South Dakota got his full license at 14.

They have since changed the rules, but to get my license in Texas all I had to do was take a one semester long driver's ed course when I was 15, wait six months, and then get my provisional license. I would then have to renew every year on my birthday until I turned 18, but after that I wouldn't have to renew for another six years. I will not have to take another test proving proficiency until I'm like 75, aside from an eye exam that takes 30 seconds.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair South Dakota's is ok because there's nowhere to crash into.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Orange Devil posted:

It's to do with how they think it's a good system to go straight for drivers license exams and only if you fail maybe you should consider taking some lessons. Lessons involve parents claiming a piece of public road with some pylons somewhere and having you drive up and down it a couple times. Then just bribe whoever is in charge of issuing drivers licenses.

I don't know when was the last time you tried to get a Belgian driver's license but it's actually notoriously hard? At least in Brussels it is. You get leeway of a grand total of 0 mistakes in a three-hour test in Brussels.
The reason you don't need lessons first is because your parents teach you how to drive. Only if they can't teach you, you pay a school for hours of lessons, or if you fail your exam a few times. I had to do this because I failed my exam twice and got it on my third try, which is actually the average in Belgium. Note that the reasons they made me fail were "Drives too defensively" the first time and "Took a rather sharp turn to the left" the second time.

Meanwhile, I've seen French drivers take a roundabout LEFT so they could quickly swerve into the road to the left of them instead of going around like sensible people.

EDIT: on the subject of driving left:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 4, 2015

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

I don't know when was the last time you tried to get a Belgian driver's license but it's actually notoriously hard? At least in Brussels it is. You get leeway of a grand total of 0 mistakes in a three-hour test in Brussels.
The reason you don't need lessons first is because your parents teach you how to drive. Only if they can't teach you, you pay a school for hours of lessons, or if you fail your exam a few times. I had to do this because I failed my exam twice and got it on my third try, which is actually the average in Belgium. Note that the reasons they made me fail were "Drives too defensively" the first time and "Took a rather sharp turn to the left" the second time.

Regulations in the north have gotten stricter quite fast. My grandmother (1945) received a license on her 18th birthday, including heavy vehicles. My father (1960) got his after registering in the town hall. My brother (1995) got his probationary license, took a driving test on a quiet piece of road and a parking/manouvring test on a closed lot. A friend of mine recently let his probationary license expire, has to retake his theoretical exam, find a driving school for 12 hours (at 60€/hour), take his exam, which now includes anatomy of a modern car, driving on a less than quiet piece of road and a parking/manouvring test in the wild.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lycus posted:

I had to look up a picture of this.

papism_vs_protestantism.jpg

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

culture_in_blue.jpgcivilisation_in-blue.jpg :britain:

As far as I know, BE has historically invested less in infrastructure and is plagued by the Walloon/Fleming divide that makes nationwide projects a nightmare, added to which it has short-term and unstable governments which undercuts long-term planning. Now everyone is sitting on their hands waiting for the country to fall apart so no one wants to commit to any big projects. I asked a professional about a cultural project in Bruxelles and asked "Will the website be in French or Dutch or both?" He replied "It will be done in English only."

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 4, 2015

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Deltasquid posted:

Why is Surinam driving on the left side of the road? I thought they would follow the Dutch on this one.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I wish it was higher resolution because there's lots of dumb little islands I'm curious about.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Letmebefrank posted:

Why is Surinam driving on the left side of the road? I thought they would follow the Dutch on this one.

Because Guyana.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I always liked this one better :greenangel:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The south of the Netherlands, ie. pretty much the entire border with Belgium, is notionally Catholic though.

Also compare "you don't need lessons, your parents teach you how to drive" with the stories of the other EU posters. Sure Belgium, getting a drivers license is really hard there (when you can't drive due to never learning it), we totally believe you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Letmebefrank posted:

Surinam was originally a British colony. Then when it became Dutch we still drove left as well. Napoleon came and changed that, but Surinam didn't get the memo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The entire southern part of the Netherlands is just as historically Catholic as Belgium, and in the case of the latter it's nothing more than a fluke to begin with. Both Lutheranism and Calvinism were well-entrenched in the southern Low Countries until they were stamped out by the Spanish authorities. The first Protestant iconoclasm in the Low Countries started in what is now French Flanders and took a while to reach the north, where Protestantism was initially weaker:

That said, I've always wondered why the southern Netherlands remained largely Catholic after the Eighty Years' War. Probably because they were so poorly treated by the central authorities in Holland.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Orange Devil posted:

Also compare "you don't need lessons, your parents teach you how to drive" with the stories of the other EU posters. Sure Belgium, getting a drivers license is really hard there (when you can't drive due to never learning it), we totally believe you.
Well, it's a nice idea that only the good drivers will survive and teach their kids, eventually leading to Belgians being the best drivers in the world. It's just that advances in car safety and medical science are working against us and now the system has effectively made being a bad driver hereditary.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

culture_in_blue.jpgcivilisation_in-blue.jpg :britain:

More like insane wrong people in blue :911:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

The entire southern part of the Netherlands is just as historically Catholic as Belgium, and in the case of the latter it's nothing more than a fluke to begin with. Both Lutheranism and Calvinism were well-entrenched in the southern Low Countries until they were stamped out by the Spanish authorities. The first Protestant iconoclasm in the Low Countries started in what is now French Flanders and took a while to reach the north, where Protestantism was initially weaker:

That said, I've always wondered why the southern Netherlands remained largely Catholic after the Eighty Years' War. Probably because they were so poorly treated by the central authorities in Holland.

So why are those counties not part of Belgium then? I thought the main dividing line between Flanders and the Netherlands was a protestant/catholic divide.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was just saying "full licence" to contrast with the provisional licence you get that only lasts for 18 months and then you need to pass the second round of tests to get a complete licence. I did actually get a BC licence so I can drive a truck (but not an 18 wheeler!) too, but I left out the C part because most people don't do the C courses and exams so it would be misleading.

These days to drive an 18 wheeler, I think in all EU countries you're required to complete a pretty lengthy training period that's more like a vocational course than a regular driving course. Endless bitching from the transportation industry, of course.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

So why are those counties not part of Belgium then? I thought the main dividing line between Flanders and the Netherlands was a protestant/catholic divide.

As I said, the border between Flanders and the Netherlands is basically the ceasefire line between the United Provinces and the Spanish Empire, with a few adjustments. The religious divide is a result of the outcome of the war and not the other way around. The authorities in the Spanish Netherlands brutally clamped down on Protestants, who generally fled north to Holland.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Belgian_infrastructure.jpg

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Belgium spent all its infrastructure money on a ridiculous number of street lights along their highway system instead of things like signs, repaving or road markings.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Phlegmish posted:

Whatever you call this (except autism):

We call it Purmerreutel, which incidentally is where all the people from Amsterdam end up who are too poo poo for Almere.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

EricBauman posted:

Belgian_infrastructure.jpg

Please don't tell me we need Belgium.JPEG thread in GBS?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Disco Infiva posted:

Please don't tell me we need Belgium.JPEG thread in GBS?

This is making me think that yes, we do.

edit:
Please don't make a Belgium.jpeg thread
Those .jpeg threads are awful

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 4, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

my dad posted:

Seconded.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

my dad posted:

Where is this? I need to go there.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

IndustrialApe posted:

We call it Purmerreutel, which incidentally is where all the people from Amsterdam end up who are too poo poo for Almere.

They're New Towns that function relatively well apart from a general lack of local employment opportunities - which might have been unavoidable. Way shittier urban planning decisions have been made both in our country and abroad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Obviously the central authorities in Holland are keeping the feckless Catholics in the south in check with their amazing work ethic.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Maxin' and relaxin' and having a ton of holidays > working all day, all year. Suck it, Protestants :colbert:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Maxin' and relaxin' and having a ton of holidays > working all day, all year. Suck it, Protestants :colbert:

Counterpoint:

I rest my case.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Don't think we don't know how you spend your free time, Fritzl.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
e: nm misread something.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Deltasquid posted:

Given that the rest of the map is British_Empire.jpg, what the heck is up with Japan?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vorpal Cat posted:

Given that the rest of the map is British_Empire.jpg, what the heck is up with Japan?

The British helped them build a lot of infrastructure in the late 19th Century.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vorpal Cat posted:

Britain helped Japan build their railroads, so once again it's the fault of the British.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
They just can't stop themselves from loving poo poo up, can they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

You complain about what side of the road we drive on while proudly using only imperial measurements you dumb fucks