Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

RodShaft posted:

You've tried plugging the SNES in over rf, turning it on, then letting your tv do a auto-channel-search, right?

If you just hit 3 on the remote, you might want to try this.

Yes I did. I searched in both "air" and "cable" mode and I tried to force it to channel 3 (and 4 as well). It did not find it :(

The_Frag_Man posted:

Make sure you are doing a analog auto-search as well, it might have separate analog and digital options.

I looked for a way to switch between analog and digital but could not find it. The manual did not mention anything either.

Fellas, the moral of the story for you guys is this. Test everything before your return period expires!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I never understood how the turbo touch worked. We're you supposed to just keep running your thumb over the pad or keep your thumb in one spot like a regular controller?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep it one spot. It's kind of dumb.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Orange Mage posted:

Keep it one spot. It's kind of dumb.

That's not what this says: http://segaretro.org/Turbo_Touch_360

But then I'm not sure if it's a membrane over a contact pad or if it's actually a motion-detecting thing.

edit: According to a YouTube review from Lord Karnage it actually requires you to move your thumb to the very edge to register. So what it sounds like is that it's just a standard contact switch or whatever but instead of a "lever-action" D-Pad you're just sliding your finger until it rests directly over the contacts, and maybe the contacts themselves are extra-sensitive. Supposedly you get "real 360 degrees of control" but that sounds like bullshit because no 16 or 8-bit console allowed you to input in more than 8 directions.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 3, 2015

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

That's not what this says: http://segaretro.org/Turbo_Touch_360

But then I'm not sure if it's a membrane over a contact pad or if it's actually a motion-detecting thing.

It has to be the same as a mouse track pad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Orange Mage posted:

A Turbo Touch 360 gave me a hell of a blister from playing Kirby's Adventure back in '93. Not sure how, but as a result I do not trust those controllers. :ninja:

I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, but they actually sent me a free SNES one for "testing" because I was one of those people who filled out the advertiser cards at the back of EGM.

King Vidiot posted:

Supposedly you get "real 360 degrees of control" but that sounds like bullshit because no 16 or 8-bit console allowed you to input in more than 8 directions.

Obviously, it did not work like that. Basically, the idea was that you were supposed to glide your thumb around the edge of the pad. Remember that this was when fighting games on 16-bit platforms were exploding the concept was that you could pull off the moves easier that way. It doesn't feel like there's any give in the pad at all, but given how flaky it could be I suspect that it worked with slight pressure to those eight contact points.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

the big problem with the turbo touch 360 was that's the touchpad was in a depression. It makes it hard to hit the left side of the pad since your thumb can't quite reach. It's a nifty idea but the design is kinda bad.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

the big problem with the turbo touch 360 was that's the touchpad was in a depression. It makes it hard to hit the left side of the pad since your thumb can't quite reach. It's a nifty idea but the design is kinda bad.

Did you actually use one

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

no 16 or 8-bit console allowed you to input in more than 8 directions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision#Game_controller

ahem

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Hey man that's not from the Nintendo era and don't you know not a single game innovation existed until Nintendo made it (popular)?

I mean that control pad on the Inty from 79 was clearly a mirage and it wasn't till the Game and Watch that such controls existed.

Analog? Start and Select? The Atari 5200 clearly never existed and a only Nintendo could make such magic happen. Don't even dare to mention Apple 2 having analog game controls or the 8 bit Atari computers having game option keys built in.

The Paddle? C'mon didn't exist till Arkanoid. Breakout and Pong aren't real man.

Just like the Atari 8 bits and the 5200 having built in 4 player ports.

(Basically people need to stop acting like Nintendo invented everything in gaming. I know it's hugely popular and in many cases standardized stuff but.. Just because CHILDHOOD doesn't mean it made everything and other game systems and computers weren't awesome in their own right.)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Captain Rufus posted:

Hey man that's not from the Nintendo era and don't you know not a single game innovation existed until Nintendo made it (popular)?

I mean that control pad on the Inty from 79 was clearly a mirage and it wasn't till the Game and Watch that such controls existed.

Analog? Start and Select? The Atari 5200 clearly never existed and a only Nintendo could make such magic happen. Don't even dare to mention Apple 2 having analog game controls or the 8 bit Atari computers having game option keys built in.

The Paddle? C'mon didn't exist till Arkanoid. Breakout and Pong aren't real man.

(Basically people need to stop acting like Nintendo invented everything in gaming. I know it's hugely popular and in many cases standardized stuff but.. Just because CHILDHOOD doesn't mean it made everything and other game systems and computers weren't awesome in their own right.)

You'

re

wrong,

as usual rufus.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Rufus posted:

what even does the intellivision have to do with the game and watch, the controls aren't even remotely similar at all

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Captain Rufus posted:

settle down grampa beavis

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Captain Rufus posted:

Try to not be so angry

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The intellivison controller is a piece of poo poo

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

Do you fly into this screed when the grocery store attendant asks if you want paper or plastic too? Nobody was talking about this.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Do you fly into this screed when the grocery store attendant asks if you want paper or plastic too? Nobody was talking about this.

Nah, there was a guy who said something incorrect about analog sticks a page ago, I think

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nintendo Kid posted:

The intellivison controller is a piece of poo poo

But it had 16 directions man, you don't even know. That's like twice more than 8, probably. Maybe somebody who thinks entirely in numerical code can set me straight.

edit: Also we're talking about video game systems, not toys by Mattel :smug:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

But it had 16 directions man, you don't even know. That's like twice more than 8, probably. Maybe somebody who thinks entirely in numerical code can set me straight.

edit: Also we're talking about video game systems, not toys by Mattel :smug:

poo poo withstanding 16 directions isn't too difficult - 0 through 15 (0000 through 1111 in binary) which gives you a nice even byte (0 through F hex) to play with for directions on a system. How the added sub-directionals would help is beyond me as the games on systems back then were not capable of efficiently handling 16 direction movement and by the time that would've been possible analog was a much better approach.

Take for example old JRPGs and how they were locked to 4 directions much into SNES life before 8 direction was revolutionary.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 4, 2015

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god what have I-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161538382702

Guess I'm joining the PC Engine kewl(?) kid(?) krew(?), and my current avatar is no longer appropriate...or maybe it's now more appropriate than ever(?!)

I've been on the fence about the whole thing for a while, especially since the original white PC Engines are RF only and not really that cheap - just the console units alone go for a fair amount, and of course getting controllers, cables, and games would just be more money than that. But then I learned that the Core Grafx revisions support composite out, and then I stumbled upon some fairly good bundles (console, cables, games, free shipping), and welp, here I am. Now starting the waiting game and figuring out how to recoup what I've just spent.

In the cards, of course, will be a Turbo Everdrive and possibly one of Monitor Burn's RGB mods. There seems to be a surprisingly decent amount of OK deals for Core Grafx systems on Ebay right now, so if you're thinking of getting one, now might be the time - I think a few of the other bundles from the same seller linked above were snatched up in the hours I was deliberating, so other people might have the same idea.

Some questions:

1. It's always a common query with import hardware, but is it OK to use the original AC adapter with a US power mains? It's 100V @ 50/60 Hz (due to Japan's wonky electrical setup), while the US runs 120V @ 60 Hz. I don't expect it to blow up and fry anything, from what I've read, but would it be better to use something like a US Model 1 Genesis supply instead?

2. Are there any decent two player games for the PC Engine / TG-16 - decent enough to get a multitap for?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

2. Are there any decent two player games for the PC Engine / TG-16 - decent enough to get a multitap for?

Bomberman, Bomberman, Bomberman. If you thought Super Bomberman was great, it was the inferior cousin of the PC Engine games.

I also have a fondness for Dungeon Explorer. Battle Lode Runner is pretty neat. And then past that there's a few shooters that are enjoyable...

Edit: Looking at the listing, you need to get R-Type 2. It's not a sequel, it's the other half of the game. It looks like that guy put it on one of his other listings which is going to be a nasty surprise for anyone who buys it. And see if you can find some instructions before you play Getsu Fuuma Den because that game is nigh incomprehensible unless someone explains it to you.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 4, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Do you guys know if it's possible to get new PAL-blue PS2 cases?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I was actually just taking the piss to some degree. Also the history dork in me kind of demanded it.

I dunno. For some reason Nintendo is lionized and defended with a nerd vehemence only matched by Dungeons and Dragons edition warriors who seem to think even the mere mention of other editions or disliking a mechanic clearly makes one an arch enemy who obviously supports whatever edition they hate.

As it is so much of our little hobby is already having its history rewritten by people who don't know or care what the truth is as if the mere thought Nintendo wasn't perfect and created every worthwhile gaming thing ever will invalidate the great times they have had with Nintendo stuff. ( It doesn't. Yes other companies also do lovely things. Most of them just get called on it and especially in retro gaming the western stuff is heavily documented. Japanese companies tend to keep the drama from ever getting reported in any but the most whitewashed of forms. And Famitsu was selling out loooong before IGN ever thought to! poo poo, tons of UK games mag writers have tons of articles then and now talking about the kind of pressure publishers try to put on them.)

I just want the truth and not the internet nerd consensus on what happened. It's happening all too much. Even a massive shitheap like Steve Jobs is getting his proverbial knob polished in spite of him being a dick who makes that Stardock guy almost look good in comparison!

It's like there is something about Nintendo that gets it all the press even if their innovation was done on other computing devices years beforehand.

( however in general Nintendo had better build quality or perfected what someone else came up with first)

One of these things that irked me was on the 1986 Videogame Years installment when Roo called the Famicom Disk System an innovation. ( offhandedly mentioned save batteries which I would say was a good thing though to be fair computers already had battery backup doohickeys in them already..)

Floppy disks were pretty much standard in computers outside of the UK where they suffered through tape drives and Ocean Software for years at that point. (Ocean: to the UK what LJN was to the US and Bandai was to Japan. Making licensed crap to seemingly profit off of children's tears.)

And this leaves out things like the full computer upgrades to the Inty, Coleco, and 2600 which had tape drives as their storage devices of choice not even counting that some had floppy drive options too! And hell, the Starpath Supercharger was basically the 32x in the early 80s.

It's stuff like that that I just don't understand. Why not want the actual history as correct as we can get it before these 60-90 year old founders are all dead or forget most of it?

Why is it that nothing seems to matter in gaming unless it's on a console, preferably a Nintendo one?

I just don't understand and it's both confusing and disheartening. Why be a company defender when said company can probably buy a couple Stealth Bombers with cash on hand? Why not want to learn about and enjoy the good games available on almost every platform?

Can't we accept the good and the bad? gently caress I would own almost every platform had I the time, money, and space to properly enjoy them all. I even had a Wii U in my hands with sweet sweet Mario Kart 8 bundle but Wal Mart decided that the big GET GIFT CARD WITH PURCHASE tag they had out went away 2 days prior and it was in such fine print even the clerk didn't know it was over! ( I could have complained but it's not the poor clerks ' fault.). I took it as a sign and honestly I don't have the time to play it anyhow so I guess I can wait. :smith:

This is the same reason I don't own a Colecovision, Vectrex, Tandy Color Computer 3, PS Vita, TI 99, Jaguar, or Lynx. I don't feel I have the time to enjoy them or the space to have them all properly set up for the amount of time I have.

I guess I am odd that way. I like all sorts of games on all sorts of platforms. It's playing history in a way. And I loves me some history!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
:captainpop:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Well I'm more amazed that people will say that the PS2 has no games worth replaying, a system with over ten thousand games in it's library. But then they'll say the gamecube was the more worthwhile system because of cult classics like Donkey Konga.

Like this is a thing that has happened. Nintendo people are weird.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well I'm more amazed that people will say that the PS2 has no games worth replaying, a system with over ten thousand games in it's library. But then they'll say the gamecube was the more worthwhile system because of cult classics like Donkey Konga.

The PS2 is an ugly-rear end console (just like all Xbox variants) and therefore not worth owning.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

The PS2 is an ugly-rear end console (just like all Xbox variants) and therefore not worth owning.

I know that this is a troll, but the slim PS2 is actually a very nice piece of hardware, especially the model/s with the integrated power brick (I think not all slim PS2's had that).

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Katana Gomai posted:

Hate the PS2 for the death of the Dreamcast. And buy one anyhow because Klonoa 2, Wizardry Tale of the Forsaken Land, Time Crisis 2, Sakura Wars the Cowboy one, Gundam Zeonic Front, a fuckload of retro collections, Timesplitters series, and Front Mission 4.

I bought mine for Gradius 3-4 pack, and Star Wars Starfighter. A pity it got but one sequel.

Also that the PS3 Madcatz SF4 TE stick won't play with PS2 BC. Or even on my Sandy Bridge PC. Imma gonna have to end up either getting a USB SNES dongle for my Super Advantage stick or hunt down the 6 button Genesis stick which would cost more and I already have a 3 button stick I got from Acid in one of her neverending CIRCLE OF RETRO SELLING TO GET OTHER RETRO GOODI... LOOK A BUNNY! moods.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Honestly, I thought Donkey Konga was fun as poo poo. Rhythm games coming with their own controller usually hit the spot with me in general, though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Taint Reaper posted:

While I don't at all agree with the assessment that the PS2 doesn't have games worth replaying, I do think the GameCube is more worthwhile.

Now the original Xbox, THERE'S a system with next to no games that are worth playing today.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
rufus, nintendo invented video games. Everyone knows that. I can't wait to play the first fps game , goldeneye, with an oculus rift.
In seriousness, whatare some really good old games that might be neat to play withan oculus rift?

Would 2d sprite first person shooters be too awkward?

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 4, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

I know that this is a troll, but the slim PS2 is actually a very nice piece of hardware, especially the model/s with the integrated power brick (I think not all slim PS2's had that).

You get some incredible bang for your buck/physical space since it only takes up the space of two DVD cases, and since it was also PS1-compatible it pretty much had the biggest library other than the first wave of fat PS3's and softmodded systems running emulators. And yeah, the first wave of them (SCPH-70000 series) required an external brick (the same one the PSOne Slim used), while the later SCPH-90000 series just had one of those figure-8 cables...or was it the one where one prong was a circle and the other a square?

That said, I think the bulk of the good stuff has been released either as a PS2 classic or a PS3 HD re-release.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'm 100% serious on this, I think the PS2 looks almost as bad as the original Xbox.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm 100% serious on this, I think the PS2 looks almost as bad as the original Xbox.

What? The PS2 doesn't even look as bad as the super slim PS3, let alone the OG Xbox. You're trippin.

Also the original PS2 looks way better than the PS2 slim.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cubey posted:

Now the original Xbox, THERE'S a system with next to no games that are worth playing today.

Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon orta, Shenmue II, Halo 1 and 2.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Cubey posted:

What? The PS2 doesn't even look as bad as the super slim PS3, let alone the OG Xbox. You're trippin.

Also the original PS2 looks way better than the PS2 slim.

I think the PS2 looked good.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Of the big three from that gen, I'd play a PS2 last. The GC has a still playable PSO Ep. I and II, so it probably wins overall.

The PS2 does have a shitload of games though.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Speaking of the PS2, what was the emotion engine?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cubey posted:

Out of the top of my head: Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1 and 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie, Crazy Taxi 3, The Warriors, Breakdown, and the best version of Silent Hill 2. Also good PC ports of SWTOR and Morrowind.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bean posted:

Speaking of the PS2, what was the emotion engine?

The name of the main CPU.

• Locked thread