Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Who What Now posted:

Nope, you start as a corpse in both.
Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If at all possible, play the original Prime on Gamecube (don't start on 3 since it's not nearly as good as 1, don't start with 2 since it built on 1's difficulty). Some of the visual effects like visible heat distortion above an arm cannon you've used quickly or seeing certain details when using various visors don't exist at all in the Wii re-release due to the way some of the effects were made or being rendered otherwise moot. I also personally think that the GC controls were much better than the Wii ones; yes, the Wii remote makes for easier quick aiming, but the game isn't really a first person shooter, it's a first person exploration adventure

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To prove how loving stupid space pirates are, the only reverse-engineering they managed were making pirates that fought slightly stronger weapons while also being weak to the very weapons they were using. Complete with color-coding.

Space Pirates are the dumbest.

To be fairer, they were trying to reverse engineer incredibly advanced technology that was also sprinkled with some literal magic :v:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Calaveron posted:

To be fairer, they were trying to reverse engineer incredibly advanced technology that was also sprinkled with some literal magic :v:

Yeah aren't Samus's upgrades literally powered by the souls of dead Chozo? That's what the statues are right? Basically coffins?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FauxGateau posted:

Yeah aren't Samus's upgrades literally powered by the souls of dead Chozo? That's what the statues are right? Basically coffins?

Any sufficiently advanced technology, etc.

Though, the Chozo can apparently come back as ghosts, so who the gently caress knows?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

FauxGateau posted:

The statues are robots, I think. Whatever Chozo technology is, it's more biological than spiritual, because they had to infuse young Samus with their blood to make it work right.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Actually it's a v. bad and dumb story

hotline miami's story is about how videogame stories are poo poo and you are dumb if you care about them, so actually its good hth

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Any sufficiently advanced technology, etc.

Though, the Chozo can apparently come back as ghosts, so who the gently caress knows?

To be fair, the ghosts were a Phazon thing.

Literally Kermit posted:

The statues are robots, I think. Whatever Chozo technology is, it's more biological than spiritual, because they had to infuse young Samus with their blood to make it work right.

Fusion outrighted stated as much that it's partly biological. Hence the armor walking off on its own as the SA-X.

dpbjinc posted:

I thought all the bounty hunters/space marines had the PED.

They did. The Marines only used it off a stored tank of Phazon though, only the bounty hunters had it running off their own internal infestation.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fusion outrighted stated as much that it's partly biological. Hence the armor walking off on its own as the SA-X.

That's honestly pretty neat and for some reason I never realized that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My favorite little thing in games right now is that in Dragon Age I can immediately tell Sera to go the gently caress away forever. If for some reason you recruit her anyway, whenever you talk to her from then on, there's a dialogue option to tell her to go away forever as well. I don't know if it's something to do with the hidden friendship meter or my dialogue choices or what, but she's the only person you can do that second part with. I don't get the option when talking to Bull or Dorian or Blackwall.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The SA-X was probably the best ever excuse for why a character threw all their guns away and got demoted back to lvl. 1 between games.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Flectarn posted:

hotline miami's story is about how videogame stories are poo poo and you are dumb if you care about them, so actually its good hth
I agree with the second character in Hotline Miami's point really, :colbert: Gameplay without context or meaning can get boring fast.

Not every game has to be the stanley parable or spec ops the line, but still.

I really liked the story elements in Metroid: Fusion for example, I can see why Alien: Isolation copied so much of it. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bhodi posted:

Kairo: You're alone in a multi-universe / alien spaceship / alien landscape trying to jumpstart a city-sized machine while discovering what happened to the previous soul occupant

Is that what that game's about? I tried playing it briefly and couldn't tell what was happening or why, or what I was supposed to be achieving.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Is that what that game's about? I tried playing it briefly and couldn't tell what was happening or why, or what I was supposed to be achieving.

Yeah, it becomes clear that the puzzles you're solving are reviving the machine section by section, and at one point you find the skeletonized remains of the guy who used to be in charge of making it run. Kairo was pretty neat.

wait, poo poo, it's tiggum again, no wonder

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Babe Magnet posted:

My favorite little thing in games right now is that in Dragon Age I can immediately tell Sera to go the gently caress away forever. If for some reason you recruit her anyway, whenever you talk to her from then on, there's a dialogue option to tell her to go away forever as well. I don't know if it's something to do with the hidden friendship meter or my dialogue choices or what, but she's the only person you can do that second part with. I don't get the option when talking to Bull or Dorian or Blackwall.

It's only Sera that you have that option for. During the main game, before you beat the final boss, I think there's only two other characters that have a way to leave, but you always, always have a chance to tell Sera to get the gently caress out. Which is good, because she's a very stupid person.
Still worth recruiting for the fact that the Jar of Bees is the best grenade in the game, and some of her banter with other party members is pretty good. She's also the easiest rogue to bring along if you don't feel like manually levelling up your party.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The only reason I recruited her in the first place was because I'm still on my first run so I want to do as much as I can. I'm like 50 hours in and I'm barely at the halfway mark apparently, poo poo's tight. gently caress if I'm going to run her in my party when I have Varric around doing roguey stuff, though.

Another nice thing is that I went in expecting to hate Cole due to all of the promotional material making him out to be some sadsack edgy depressed guy, but it turns out he's pretty neat. Another good rogue choice.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, it becomes clear that the puzzles you're solving are reviving the machine section by section, and at one point you find the skeletonized remains of the guy who used to be in charge of making it run. Kairo was pretty neat.

wait, poo poo, it's tiggum again, no wonder

And it's done without a single line of dialogue. An hour or so in you just get that slamming revelation of "poo poo, this is a giant nuclear reactor"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Your Gay Uncle posted:

this is because Bioware never intended for you to be able to port things over from Dragon Age to Dragon Age 2, they had to shoe horn it in at the last minute because the fans freaked out.

Bioware will never be able to make a sequel without save-importing ever again

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Flectarn posted:

Pathologic is also about this, and therefore is a good game. Except for it being murderously unfun and the translation being poopy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bioware will never be able to make a sequel without save-importing ever again

They should start getting really weird with it just to spite fans. Whatever game they make next should import your data from the first mass effect and have it change the whole ending and nothing else.

Getting back to the skyrim chat for a moment, I absolutely love that they frequently have bandit chiefs on the tops of tall towers who just stand there looking out over the edge with their backs to the stairs. They knew the most fun thing was to launch a guy off a building or mountain with your voice power, and they give you so many opportunities to do it. I never tire of it.

Also you can pickpocket the forsworn briarhearts and steal their hearts. They instantly die if you do this.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Nuebot posted:

They should start getting really weird with it just to spite fans. Whatever game they make next should import your data from the first mass effect and have it change the whole ending and nothing else.

All future bioware games should support importing mass effect 3 saves with the synthesis ending, adding green circuit lines to every character model and literally nothing else.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Flectarn posted:

The same thing can be said of Little Inferno and it's poop from a butt.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In FFV, they tried to use a phoenix down and various healing spells on a dead character. In a cutscene.
Didn't work, but I think this is the only time in a FF game where they actually tried to revive someone like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

scarycave posted:

In FFV, they tried to use a phoenix down and various healing spells on a dead character. In a cutscene.
Didn't work, but I think this is the only time in a FF game where they actually tried to revive someone like that.

And thus, another reason why FFV remains the best Final Fantasy. That entire scene is fantastic, because not only do they actually attempt to use in-game resources in the cutscene, but the fight the guy dies in is an actual, in-engine fight. He's spurred on into an impossible fight by sheer determination, and the game actually lets you play that out by letting you continue to fight past when his HP hits 0 (which usually happens in the first volley).

They even distribute the heals in a fitting way. Lenna's stats are more geared towards magic, so her attempts are spells. Faris meanwhile is more physically-oriented (ant materialistic), so she's hurling items. All of these are tiny, little things, but they add up to really pull off demonstrating that the game's cutscenes are playing by the same rules that you are. Not many games really push to make that happen, which is a shame, because FFV proved that it's not that hard.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

scarycave posted:

They did that in FFIV, too. Okay, it was a pair of petrified characters, and they used Heal and other spells on them in a cutscene, then gave you the opportunity to waste your own healing items on them in a pop-up item window.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

The same thing can be said of Little Inferno and it's poop from a butt.

In Little Inferno if you hold onto the free hug coupon for the entire game then you actually get to cash it in at the end :3:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Little Inferno Fireplace is pretty much my faovirte game!
Even thoughhh it doesn't make any sense
Buy stuff...
BURN IT...
and it gives you MORE MONEY than when you started
HaHAHA I LOVE FREEE STUFF!
THAT can't last foreverr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mierenneuker posted:

Little Inferno Fireplace is pretty much my faovirte game!
Even thoughhh it doesn't make any sense
Buy stuff...
BURN IT...
and it gives you MORE MONEY than when you started
HaHAHA I LOVE FREEE STUFF!
THAT can't last foreverr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That is a letter you receive in Little Inferno. Good job, moderator. :waycool:

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Goons argue over the stupidest poo poo.

I'm playing through the original Dragon age right now in preparation for the new one. One thing I like is in the expansion if you give a npc their plot gift before they tell you about it, when they do bring it up they acknowledge the fact you already gave it to them. It's a nice touch.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

codenameFANGIO posted:

That is a letter you receive in Little Inferno. Good job, moderator. :waycool:

Well poo poo, I haven't played every game ever just to memorize things :manning:

Gimme a minute, I'll see if I can get it undone

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

blunt for century posted:

Well poo poo, I haven't played every game ever just to memorize things :manning:

Insanely hosed up.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Zig-Zag posted:

Goons argue over the stupidest poo poo.

I'm playing through the original Dragon age right now in preparation for the new one. One thing I like is in the expansion if you give a npc their plot gift before they tell you about it, when they do bring it up they acknowledge the fact you already gave it to them. It's a nice touch.

Awakening, for all that it wasn't perfect, had a lot of neat little things like that. At some point, Anders has a little cutscene speech about mage freedom, how they don't all use blood magic, blah blah blah. The game actually takes into account that some players may have, in fact, specced him as a blood mage, and you get a response option that lets you point that out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I know MGS games are Little Things: The Series but god drat the effort they go to is just crazy. All the bonus little codec calls you can make in certain areas. They have unique ones for if you're staring at a poster with a girl on it, if you're standing in front of a toilet, or even calling Snake at a very certain time in a certain place.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

scarycave posted:

There's another cutscene in FFV that varies slightly depending on how many sidequests you've done. The first time you use one of the four tablets, you'll see a cutscene where Exdeath orders 3 bosses to ambush you at the sites of the other tablets. If you don't use the first tablet and instead go collect the others, you'll fight the bosses that were in the cutscene that hasn't played. Once you do go use the tablets, the bosses that you have already killed will not appear in the cutscene. If you collect all four tablets before using any, the cutscene just won't play at all since it would be moot now.

It's such a little thing, but it creates nice internal consistency.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

maou shoujo posted:

There's another cutscene in FFV that varies slightly depending on how many sidequests you've done. The first time you use one of the four tablets, you'll see a cutscene where Exdeath orders 3 bosses to ambush you at the sites of the other tablets. If you don't use the first tablet and instead go collect the others, you'll fight the bosses that were in the cutscene that hasn't played. Once you do go use the tablets, the bosses that you have already killed will not appear in the cutscene. If you collect all four tablets before using any, the cutscene just won't play at all since it would be moot now.

It's such a little thing, but it creates nice internal consistency.

In FFX Wakka uses a potion on Tidus at one point in a cutscene which is nice!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

They have unique ones for if you're staring at a poster with a girl on it

Doing this in the 2/3/PW anthology version will unlock a trophy/achievement named "Snake Beater".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

In FFX Wakka uses a potion on Tidus at one point in a cutscene which is nice!
It's starting to sound like this is less "nice attention to detail" and more "happens all the time but webcomic writers thought they were all pretty smart pointing out the one time it didn't".

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's starting to sound like this is less "nice attention to detail" and more "happens all the time but webcomic writers thought they were all pretty smart pointing out the one time it didn't".

Yeah, it happens in FFVIII, too. Selphie tries to use cure on a moomba in the D-District Prison, and it just hurts the thing because of the anti-magic field.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

My Lovely Horse posted:

Basically one of the few times they didn't was in 7, where the character in question just got stabbed through with a sword and it was kind of obvious there was no saving her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

cowboythreespeech posted:

Yeah, it happens in FFVIII, too. Selphie tries to use cure on a moomba in the D-District Prison, and it just hurts the thing because of the anti-magic field.

Whats great is that this anti magic field is immediately ignored cause you can immediately use magic again and is never brought up again. Its like the anti-GF propaganda about losing your memories. Its some blatant handwave and is never brought up again.