Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

timp posted:

They've been flashing an "Up Next:" banner every now and then which is a really nice addition this year.

btw Wario Land 4 is up next

Wario Land 4 is a great loving game, by the way, can't wait for that one.

e: donations already at $25K, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

the Gaffe posted:

If I read correctly

I was thinking about the internal revisions that happen year by year, small improvements even though it started out pretty perfect. After thinking about it I think they have the genuine deal and not a clone, I forget how kind my MD-431ii is.

Audio is fine with only unimportant nitpicks for me this year so far, and 57s are best uncaged and used like Mike Patton. Just wondering why they're on a wired mic and a terribly poorly fitted pain in the rear end headset for the runner (and no acoustic curtains which would do miracles in there)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

evilalien posted:

The reddit thread with vod links is up now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/2ra5rw/agdq_vods_thread_2015/

Unfortunately it might not be that useful this year as the vods are already getting muted.

Good to see Twitch is still inept.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
drat, notch coming in with the 10k donation.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Notch casually throwing around money

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, Notch still throwing crazy money at the marathon.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

timp posted:

Something about a dashing strat that originally cleared half of a room, so they called it the halfie, but then they found a way to start the dash sooner and reposition it so that it clears the whole room, thus full halfie

HUMAN FISH posted:

In some game they figured out a glitch that could only be done in the right side, named it "Right side glitch". Then after a while they found out it could be done on the left side as well and that one was named "Reverse right side glitch"

These are the best things. :allears:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

the Gaffe posted:

Fun fact - when they introduced the SM58 they demonstrated its strength by hammering in a nail with it, then continuing to give the presentation with the same microphone.

How is bottom part where XLRs would be connected? My MD46 actually had one of the little teeth that help things "click" in become bent (when a news anchor tried to pull the transmitter off of the bottom for some reason.) Also, how is the pick up pattern in general? MD46 has been great for me in loud city streets, not picking up much background noise, and I have even recorded voice overs that were used for air with it, but its a really big mic that can be awkward for smaller sized talent.

Marathon related. My only wish would be to be able to have a larger Twitch screen on the main page. I like having the Quake chat instead of the Twitch chat, but the embedded Twitch screen is so small!

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

MrLonghair posted:

I was thinking about the internal revisions that happen year by year, small improvements even though it started out pretty perfect. After thinking about it I think they have the genuine deal and not a clone, I forget how kind my MD-431ii is.

Audio is fine with only unimportant nitpicks for me this year so far, and 57s are best uncaged and used like Mike Patton. Just wondering why they're on a wired mic and a terribly poorly fitted pain in the rear end headset for the runner (and no acoustic curtains which would do miracles in there)

I swear if I lived on the east coast anywhere near the marathon I would donate the use of my equipment and run the best god drat audio set up they've had.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BloodWulfe posted:

These are the best things. :allears:

The second one was blamed explained as "we were really sleep-deprived when we named it", if I remember it right.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

evilalien posted:

Unfortunately it might not be that useful this year as the vods are already getting muted.

This sucks because the VODs is the main way I watch these things. That really loving sucks.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

ToastyPotato posted:

How is bottom part where XLRs would be connected? My MD46 actually had one of the little teeth that help things "click" in become bent (when a news anchor tried to pull the transmitter off of the bottom for some reason.) Also, how is the pick up pattern in general? MD46 has been great for me in loud city streets, not picking up much background noise, and I have even recorded voice overs that were used for air with it, but its a really big mic that can be awkward for smaller sized talent.
Your MD46 would be better than an SM58, the SM58 is really used for live events like concerts because the amount of abuse you can do to that mic is insane. The actual audio quality isn't very high though. With professional microphones the quality is pretty closely related to the price, assuming the mics were designed for similar purposes.

Try contacting Sennheiser about simply sending in your mic for a repair to fix that XLR connection.

For another mic for smaller talent just shop around for another mic in the price range you're willing to afford that's the right size. See if there's a store near you that actually carries the microphones so you can see them physically. I don't go to guitar center but maybe they carry them?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I'd hope that with this being one of the biggest events on Twitch they'll be on top of unmuting the VODs quickly.

But then again, it's Twitch so really it's just as likely that they end up muting them all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ToastyPotato posted:

Marathon related. My only wish would be to be able to have a larger Twitch screen on the main page. I like having the Quake chat instead of the Twitch chat, but the embedded Twitch screen is so small!

SM57/58s are pretty similar to that MD46, being cardioid dynamics and all. They're also fuckin' unbreakable, as already stated. The 58 has a "closer" pickup range and it handles wind pretty bad, so I'm not sure if it's that well-suited for your purposes - the MD46 is better, I'd think. That or an omni handheld if you wanna get a new one.

Now I'll shut up about mics.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Over 100,000 viewers already, goddamn

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dias posted:

SM57/58s are pretty similar to that MD46, being cardioid dynamics and all. They're also fuckin' unbreakable, as already stated. The 58 has a "closer" pickup range and it handles wind pretty bad, so I'm not sure if it's that well-suited for your purposes - the MD46 is better, I'd think. That or an omni handheld if you wanna get a new one.

Now I'll shut up about mics.

Nono I'm curious now, where'd you pick up all the information on microphones? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Nono I'm curious now, where'd you pick up all the information on microphones? :v:
Works in audio, would be my guess?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

the Gaffe posted:

Your MD46 would be better than an SM58, the SM58 is really used for live events like concerts because the amount of abuse you can do to that mic is insane. The actual audio quality isn't very high though. With professional microphones the quality is pretty closely related to the price, assuming the mics were designed for similar purposes.

Try contacting Sennheiser about simply sending in your mic for a repair to fix that XLR connection.

For another mic for smaller talent just shop around for another mic in the price range you're willing to afford that's the right size. See if there's a store near you that actually carries the microphones so you can see them physically. I don't go to guitar center but maybe they carry them?

I actually managed to get the MD46 repaired fairly quickly and cheaply, and they replaced the whole body! But yeah, I really do love the quality of the MD46. I have a shop I go to for all my audio gear (they are a pro-audio rental-retail place) so I will just ask for some recommendations the next time I have money.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
The guy who runs the custom speedrunner emotes thing, FrankerFaceZ, is using it to change the follow button under the main stream to the current runner. That's pretty awesome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

evilalien posted:

Well, so much for catching up on interesting runs from the middle of the night when they're playing the boring games during the day.

iodine
Jul 26, 2001

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Notch casually throwing around money

$10,000 is super generous. But just to put it in perspective the guy recently made like 2 billion dollars.

For someone who has like two grand in their bank account that's equivalent to one cent.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

iodine posted:

$10,000 is super generous. But just to put it in perspective the guy recently made like 2 billion dollars.

For someone who has like two grand in their bank account that's equivalent to one cent.

who the gently caress cares, it's still pretty cool

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I wouldn't be surprised if big name donators like notch do multiple donations throughout the marathon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
30k during the first run is pretty legit.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Yeah Notch typically donates mutiple times

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is that goofy guy who runs Ecco the dolphin not coming back this year?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Random Stranger posted:

Well, so much for catching up on interesting runs from the middle of the night when they're playing the boring games during the day.

There will always be people recording and uploading runs to youtube and that reddit thread will link to them for any muted vods. I am not the biggest fan of linking to youtube uploaders making money off of other people's content, but there isn't any other choice if vods are getting muted.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

Is that goofy guy who runs Ecco the dolphin not coming back this year?

Shaking my fool head not knowing blueglass.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Random Stranger posted:

Leave your computer on and record the stream with livestreamer when you're out/sleeping, that's what I'm doing.

livestreamer http://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick source -o filename.mp4

It's only like 30mb/minute. Way less if you record on high quality.

edit: I need to see TASbot and it's on at 3 am, that's why I'm doing this

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 4, 2015

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
That hitbox is just ridiculous

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

Shaking my fool head not knowing blueglass.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

evilalien posted:

There will always be people recording and uploading runs to youtube and that reddit thread will link to them for any muted vods. I am not the biggest fan of linking to youtube uploaders making money off of other people's content, but there isn't any other choice if vods are getting muted.

Yeah, one of the comments on that reddit thread is a dude who is recording the stream and will be uploading it to Youtube in 6 hour chunks, and he's probably not the only one.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

drat, even without getting the full tornado boost this strat is crazy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Yeah, one of the comments on that reddit thread is a dude who is recording the stream and will be uploading it to Youtube in 6 hour chunks, and he's probably not the only one.

Oh cool, that's good to hear.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BLUEGLASS SPOTTED

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh hey it's Blueglass.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Does that dude have MLP colored hair....

ahh holy gently caress yes leather trenchcoat in the heezy

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Bigass Moth posted:

Does that dude have MLP colored hair....

My Little Pony did not invent rainbows.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

UraniumAnchor was saying that the uploading should be faster this year on his side, too, so hopefully there won't be any issues there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Twitch chat just lost its mind.

• Locked thread