Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nonsense posted:

Was that particular Glock a .45?
Article says 9mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Police turn their backs on de Blasio at the funeral again: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30672097

quote:

Hundreds of police officers have turned their backs on the mayor of New York at the funeral of the second of two officers shot dead last month.

Guess this is just gonna be a thing now

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So the NYPD is basically stealing the ending of "Sins of the Father"? Good job. :thumbsup:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
What have you done, Bill de Blasio, a nation turns its lonely backs on you

whoo hoo hoo

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Serious question: how bad actually is it that the NYPD is acting on fewer petty crimes?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Only bad in that it's a potential loss of revenue income. Otherwise it more or less equates to people not being dinged for stuff like 'being homeless' or 'existing while black'

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Here is what my city's new chief of Police did for New Years

As you can imagine the Police Union ain't that pleased, but our mayor is defending him :unsmith:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/01/04/Mayor-supports-Chief-McLay-s-embrace-of-anti-racism-message/stories/201501030134

Even some of the comments are supporting him :unsmith:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

botany posted:

What have you done, Bill de Blasio, a nation turns its lonely backs on you

whoo hoo hoo

What's that you say, Bill de Blasio? Intelligence has left and gone away

hey hey hey

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kitfox88 posted:

Only bad in that it's a potential loss of revenue income. Otherwise it more or less equates to people not being dinged for stuff like 'being homeless' or 'existing while black'

I'm pretty sure it's not a "potential" loss, as it sounds like their whole goal is to hit the government in the wallet. What's funny is that they said they've slowed down to arresting and fining people only when "it's necessary," which says a whole lot about what it was they were doing before.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
"The work slowing that the NYPD is currently perpetrating has not resulted in an increase in violent crime. New Yorkers feel safer and racial tensions are easing, due to lack of harassment for petty offenses. The loss of ticket revenue is more than offset by the reduction in costs in jailing "criminals". As a result, the NYPD is being downsized. Those of you who have turned your backs have volunteered to be the first out. Please make your way to the exits as this is a police event and you are no longer members of the department. If you choose to ignore this order, you will be dispersed."

BdB then fires tear gas on the crowd.

"How does that taste?"

I don't think the NYPD would appreciate the irony.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Here is what my city's new chief of Police did for New Years

As you can imagine the Police Union ain't that pleased, but our mayor is defending him :unsmith:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/01/04/Mayor-supports-Chief-McLay-s-embrace-of-anti-racism-message/stories/201501030134

Even some of the comments are supporting him :unsmith:

Maybe I'm just jaded, but my first reaction was to read that as really, really racist. As in, white cops need to speak up about anti-white racism, which is basically what copes nationwide seem to be saying.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

bassguitarhero posted:

Police turn their backs on de Blasio at the funeral again: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30672097

Guess this is just gonna be a thing now

I've read that both the officer's family and the Commisioner publicly stated not to pull that poo poo either

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Maybe I'm just jaded, but my first reaction was to read that as really, really racist. As in, white cops need to speak up about anti-white racism, which is basically what copes nationwide seem to be saying.

That was my very first reaction too, and I was pleasantly surprised to read the story and find out my reaction was wrong.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I didn't get that, but maybe it's because I looked at the setting of the photo and the people behind him and decided that probably isn't the place someone would choose to hold up a racist sign.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Misogynist posted:

I didn't get that, but maybe it's because I looked at the setting of the photo and the people behind him and decided that probably isn't the place someone would choose to hold up a racist sign.

Am I the only one who read the post that had that picture in it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

I figured that was about it.

I can't help but think of Scorsese's Gangs of New York when I hear about this stuff.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

Pohl posted:

That was my very first reaction too, and I was pleasantly surprised to read the story and find out my reaction was wrong.

#endwhitesilence suggested to me that it wasn't racist, since it was admitting that the racism problem in the police force is because of white officers not speaking up about it.

Also, most of the problems in the world can be attributed to white people

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Serious question: how bad actually is it that the NYPD is acting on fewer petty crimes?

as an nyc resident: it's loving tight

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

His remarks after the union flipped their poo poo are really good, same with the mayor's.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

joeburz posted:

His remarks after the union flipped their poo poo are really good, same with the mayor's.

What was said? I missed all the coverage of it yesterday.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

KomradeX posted:

What was said? I missed all the coverage of it yesterday.

I like how both the Mayor and CoP are definitely saying "get your head out of your asses" in the most polite way possible.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
“Pandering to the community at the expense of the police community is not going to get us anywhere. But, by actually recognizing the true needs and working on them together, both of our missions can and will be successful."

Officer McQuillan wrote that the chief’s actions raised “serious concerns. … By Mayor Peduto labeling us ‘corrupt and mediocre’ and now our current Chief insinuating that we are now racist, merely by the color of our skin and the nature of our profession, I say enough is enough!”

Bad cops are approaching peak ironicat.

repeating fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 4, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

What's that you say, Bill de Blasio? Intelligence has left and gone away

hey hey hey

Indeed.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

repeating posted:

Pandering to the community at the expense of the police community

That's the line that stuck out the most to me, too. OK, so there are two "communities" at play here. Obviously, the correct answer is to make both of those communities equal. I propose we start an internal bureau for the non-police community that has an extrajudicial right to determine whether or not the action of any of its members is worthy of criminal investigation or prosecution. Perhaps that bureau or board can also bring forth showy proceedings that make it look like they're really trying hard this time to crack down on the abhorrent actions of its members this time, we swear, but oh gosh darn it the evidence just didn't all stack up neatly and that citizen just can't have done anything wrong!

What's that you say? That's loving insane?

Seriously, though, this "at the expense of the police" thing is itself ridiculous. When the people are airing a viable and reasonable grievance that the state is engaged in repulsive behavior, it should be the state actors, not the people, that budge.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Boywhiz88 posted:

I've read that both the officer's family and the Commisioner publicly stated not to pull that poo poo either

I guess now we know where the thin blue line ends.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkxru95j7xnonsi/NYPD%20Sexual%20Harassment%20Complaint.pdf

34,999 heroes I guess.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

34,998 actually. There was one cop who assaulted a subway worker just before New Years as well.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Meanwhile, in Boston:

quote:

At about 2:45am, on Sunday, January 4, 2015, officers from District C-6 (South Boston) responded to a call for a ride share driver stating that he had been assaulted by a passenger in the area of E. 1st Street and Farragut Road in South Boston.

On arrival, officers spoke to the victim, an Uber driver, who stated that he was in the process of dropping a passenger off in the area of E. 2nd Street in South Boston when the passenger began yelling at him and accusing him of trying to drop him off at the wrong location. Victim further states that the suspect physically assaulted him when he stopped his vehicle in the area of E. 2nd and M Streets.

In an effort to escape the suspect, the victim states that he exited his vehicle. Once outside the vehicle, the victim states that he watched as the suspect got into the front seat of his car and drove off.

The victim, who was aided by a passing motorist, followed the victim to E. 1st Street and Farragut Road where the suspect stopped and exited the victim’s car. The suspect fled the area before police arrived. The suspect was later identified, located and placed under arrest.

Officers arrested Michael Doherty, 40, of South Boston and charged him with Assault and Battery and Using a Motor Vehicle without Authority.
Doherty, a 16 year-veteran of the Boston Police Department, has been placed on Administrative Leave pending the outcome of the charges filed against him.

The Boston Police Anti-Corruption Unit is actively reviewing facts and circumstance surrounding this incident.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The NYPD's temper tantrum is a good time to remember that New York City has paid out $428 Million on police and correctional misconduct lawsuits in the last five years alone.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

The NYPD's temper tantrum is a good time to remember that New York City has paid out $428 Million on police and correctional misconduct lawsuits in the last five years alone.

quote:

For example, the largest payout, $11.5 million, went to Google engineer Sasha Blair-Goldensohn, who was nearly killed in 2009 when a tree branch fell on him in Central Park.

I want to know how that's NYPD related.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

What they won't tell you is that the branch only fell on him because the police where shooting it down to get a cat off of it. :tinfoil:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RareAcumen posted:

What they won't tell you is that the branch only fell on him because the police where shooting it down to get a cat off of it. :tinfoil:

I don't know why they decided to lump suits against the city in with Police actions:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2009/12/man_sues_city_over_near-deadly.html

quote:

Claiming that a rotten tree branch that broke off and landed on him in Central Park was visibly rotted and should have been trimmed, Sasha Blair-Goldensohn has sued the city and Central Park Conservancy. Over the summer, Google engineer Blair-Goldensohn was walking through the park in the morning when the heavy limb landed on his head, cutting it open and causing brain and spinal damage, as well as a partially collapsed lung. He remains hospitalized and has had to undergo multiple surgeries. According to the suit, the tree fell from over 30 feet in the air. Blair-Goldensohn has sued for unspecified damages in the State Supreme Court that would be at least "an amount in excess of the jurisdictional limits of all lower courts in which this action could otherwise have been sought." Lawyers for the city are reviewing the documents and call it a "tragic case."

Oh, the first article does make it clear not all of the total are due to police misconduct:

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2014/oct/10/nypd-paid-over-428-million-settlements-over-last-f/

quote:

Two, the New York City Law Department clarified the scope of the list on Tuesday. The spreadsheet is comprised of all lawsuits in which the NYPD was listed as a defendant. Why the police department was a defendant in lawsuits like the Sasha Blair-Goldensohn case is not clear.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 5, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anonumos posted:

I don't know why they decided to lump suits against the city in with Police actions:

The MuckRock FOIL request asked for every lawsuit where the NYPD was listed as a party and then claimed it was a list of Civil Rights violation complaints.

Good job MuckRock.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 5, 2015

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I like that the article has two examples of payouts that aren't explicitly for police misconduct, and you didn't mention the one that was 'beaten to death by prison guards.'

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

captainblastum posted:

I like that the article has two examples of payouts that aren't explicitly for police misconduct, and you didn't mention the one that was 'beaten to death by prison guards.'

The point hes trying to make is that the aggregate $428m figure listed isn't accurate, because it lists non-police payouts also.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Guilty posted:

Why not change the incentive structure? Right now, bad unions protect bad cops, and the damage from their actions are paid for by the community. What if things were restructured so that police unions paid the legal bill and damages of their officers? For officers found liable for misconduct, not exculpated ones. It would either bankrupt the union or reform the force really goddamn fast. Get some skin in the game, boys.

Unions fold and merge - the well-managed unions without crippling lawsuit overhead would be able to offer better services and benefits, and maybe take over representation of sick departments.

I acknowledge that this is pie in the sky, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The MuckRock FOIL request asked for every lawsuit where the NYPD was listed as a party and then claimed it was a list of Civil Rights violation complaints.

Good job MuckRock.

Actually, MuckRock wanted only civil rights and torts cases, but NYC said their system can't segregate out like that. So don't blame MuckRock.

https://www.muckrock.com/foi/new-york-city-17/new-york-city-reportslists-of-police-department-lawsuits-13168/ posted:

I just wanted to make sure I understand the scope of the cases. When we spoke on the phone I had said ideally I would like only civil rights and tort cases. You said you would see if it was possible to segregate those cases with your system. It looks to me like these are all closed cases, not just civil rights and tort, but I wanted to make sure.

There's also such a trend to attack anyone presenting imperfect data, but no blame for the police departments that hold the most accurate data but refuse to release it. See: the smugness about the 538 grand jury blog post.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

captainblastum posted:

Someone made a claim that the NYPD paid out $428M in lawsuits for misconduct that included a payment of $11.5M. The lawsuit was filed because NYC arborists failed to cut a dead tree branch before it fell and crippled a man.

I really want to know what the NYPD did to get itself involved in that lawsuit. Because it doesn't involve them in the slightest.

It might also highlight a problem with the dataset that doesn't involve police or corrections officers. :ssh:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Martin Random posted:

Why not change the incentive structure? Right now, bad unions protect bad cops, and the damage from their actions are paid for by the community. What if things were restructured so that police unions paid the legal bill and damages of their officers? For officers found liable for misconduct, not exculpated ones. It would either bankrupt the union or reform the force really goddamn fast. Get some skin in the game, boys.

Unions fold and merge - the well-managed unions without crippling lawsuit overhead would be able to offer better services and benefits, and maybe take over representation of sick departments.

I acknowledge that this is pie in the sky, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

It's not though. It is really loving bad. Police officers are agents of the state. If you assign them to have individual responsibility, you make a system where a cop crashing a car into someone in a plain minor traffic accident has to pay out the repair. Or where a cop who breaks doors to get into a house has to pay for those doors. Employees doing things on the governments time shouldn't be held individually and solely responsible for poo poo that happens. Firefighters gently caress up, tax agents gently caress up, medics gently caress up, teachers gently caress up. They are shielded in their actions. It gets super hazy in a job where there is a legitimate need to use force occasionally.

Now, the issue is that the Police doesn't keep its officers in line and let's them skate when they are being malicious and abusive. Getting rid of them and criminally prosecuting them when they are being malicious is what's needed, but moving the liability away from the government is not the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
http://m.news.stlpublicradio.org/?utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Fl8YmGQT2qp#mobile/42321

This is interesting. A juror in the Mike Brown case is suing the prosecutor Bob McCollough. He claims that a case was made against Mike Brown rather than Darren Wilson. He also said that not all of the jury believed Darren Wilson was innocent. Is there any legal precedent for a grand jury member to sue the prosecutor for being terrible like Bob McCollough?

• Locked thread