Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

well probably at least one billion anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

these types of games are all starting to advertise during football playoffs too and i wonder the same thing. there are a lot of whales out there i guess :shrug:

maybe to capture the "well gently caress it my team is losing may as well play as some bubbly witch or something" demographic

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bloody posted:

Subway supremacy. Live by a subway stop, never go anywhere that isn't Subway accessible. Reclassify all urban roads as strictly for buses, commercial delivery, and maybe taxis. gently caress cars, gently caress car culture, gently caress our terrible cities

That's my number one criteria for buying a house, if it isn't on the T line or if I have to drive to get to the T I don't give a gently caress about the house. I live my entire social and leisure life downtown and getting back and forth in twenty minutes owns big time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

implying that this is somehow a desirable state of affairs

so ok gj we're doing about as well as the former soviet union in terms of worker housing

there are apartments with more than two bedrooms and boroughs other than manhattan

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i cannot wait until everyone starts wearing medical masks, i just cannot wait

i would do it now but I'm not japanese

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A federal judge rejected Uber Technologies Inc’s bid not to disclose emails from Chief Executive Travis Kalanick in a California lawsuit accusing the popular ride-booking service of deceiving customers about how it shares tips with drivers.

U.S. District Judge Edward Chen’s ruling in San Francisco was the latest setback for Uber, which has drawn criticism around the globe over whether its service complies with local licensing and safety laws and whether its drivers have been adequately vetted.

Chen said a Nov. 26 ruling by federal Magistrate Judge Donna Ryu that the plaintiff in the lawsuit can receive emails from Kalanick and global operations chief Ryan Graves about Uber’s tipping practices was neither “clearly erroneous” nor legally wrong.

“That Judge Ryu’s order may require defendant to review approximately 21,000 documents does not represent an improper burden given the potential role of defendant’s CEO and vice president of operations in defendant’s challenged conduct,” Chen wrote in an order issued Wednesday night.

Uber and its lawyers did not immediately respond on Friday to telephone, email and online requests for comment.

The lawsuit was filed Jan. 8, 2014 by Caren Ehret, an Uber customer from Illinois, and seeks class-action status.

Ehret accused Uber of misleading customers by advertising that a 20 percent gratuity on fares is “automatically added for the driver” when the San Francisco-based company instead retains a “substantial portion” for itself.

She said this caused her and other customers to overpay, amounting to breach of contract and violating California consumer protection laws. The lawsuit seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

Uber contended that Ehret did not need the emails she sought and that other evidence, including from general managers in cities where the company operates, would offer a “complete understanding” of its tipping practices.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

how it shares tips with drivers

lol sharing economy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"that was a really great ride, thanks! don't forget to share some of that love with the app that made this possible!"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in every other industry with tipping the management taking a cut of it is like super duper illegal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

in every other industry with tipping the management taking a cut of it is like super duper illegal

practically everything everything uber does is super duper illegal

now they're disrupting legacy labor law

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

Subway supremacy. Live by a subway stop, never go anywhere that isn't Subway accessible. Reclassify all urban roads as strictly for buses, commercial delivery, and maybe taxis. gently caress cars, gently caress car culture, gently caress our terrible cities

and lay tracks along the freeways and the major local roads

Sunnyvale-Saratoga/De Anza/Mathilda and Lawrence at least should have north-south rail

Stevens Creek/San Carlos and El Camino should have east-west rail

whether it's elevated, central at-grade, underground, who cares. we need it

(I can't wait to see the traffic clusterfuck on 280 when The Mothership is complete)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

the laws are normally pretty absolute about it too because restaurant owners are shitheads that would definitely charge their employees a 50% counting charge and a 20% tip jar rental fee if they could

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

theflyingexecutive posted:

there are apartments with more than two bedrooms and boroughs other than manhattan

yeah, my last three apartments, all in the Bay Area, have been:

- larger than the house I grew up in (1200 square feet, 2br, rent)
- larger than many nice local houses (1500 square feet, 3br, rent)
- wonderfully huge (2100 square feet, 3br, own)

buying a house for under something like 2.5 million would be a significant step down

also living a few walkable blocks from mini downtown and a block from light rail to big downtown owns.

the only "downside" is the 10-15 minute drive to and from work, which i could replace with a pair of buses if I wanted. but I have a very nice car I enjoy driving, and I don't feel the drive is excessive, and it's 90% freeway too so I get good mileage.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

the laws are normally pretty absolute about it too because restaurant owners are shitheads that would definitely charge their employees a 50% counting charge and a 20% tip jar rental fee if they could

Uber: as bad as restaurant owners

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

buses are really good and it's a drat shame that so many people and even supposed transit "advocates" are dead set against them. there is a large group here that wants to spend $1 billion on LRT that would serve only a tiny, tiny amount of people when the same amount of money could develop BRT that would serve every friggin' exurb on the peninsula and then some.

to be fair, most implementations of so-called "BRT" in the states are poo poo garbage that get budget-slashed into regular buses with a fancy name and don't have dedicated lanes or anytjing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is it even possible to tip with uber?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

to be fair, most implementations of anything benefitting the non-elite in the states are poo poo garbage that get budget-slashed into oblivion

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

is it even possible to tip with uber?

I thought the app automatically added a tip, and let the passenger specify if they wanted it to be higher, or something like that

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

eschaton posted:

yeah, my last three apartments, all in the Bay Area, have been:

- larger than the house I grew up in (1200 square feet, 2br, rent)
- larger than many nice local houses (1500 square feet, 3br, rent)
- wonderfully huge (2100 square feet, 3br, own)

I'm the equation of "more bigger = more wonderful"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Low-Pass Filter posted:

I'm the equation of "more bigger = more wonderful"

:911:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

motorcycles don't count in road rules because they don't follow any of the rules to begin with

sh-shaggar?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

to be fair, most implementations of so-called "BRT" in the states are poo poo garbage that get budget-slashed into regular buses with a fancy name and don't have dedicated lanes or anytjing

it really is a situation where the only places that would put the requisite money into a BRT can already afford doing something better

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Andrew Borovsky, a founder of a design agency acquired by Square who went on to lead product design for Square’s Wallet app, has left Jack Dorsey’s company. Borovsky announced the news on Twitter on Thursday. Borovsky’s departure comes eight months after Square pulled its digital wallet app, Square Wallet, in favor of an order-ahead app called Square Order that lets users place pickup orders at participating coffee shops and cafes. Both products have been part of Jack Dorsey’s mission to score a breakout hit with consumers that would give merchants an extra reason to use Square’s suite of payment processing and business management tools rather than a competitor’s. Square is still looking for that consumer hit.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

eschaton posted:

I thought the app automatically added a tip, and let the passenger specify if they wanted it to be higher, or something like that

nope. the app just charges based on distance/time, no option to increase or add a tip

im assuming because most passengers would rather have a faceless third-party stiff their driver instead of doing it themselves

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

implying that this is somehow a desirable state of affairs

i was born in the soviet union and i lived with my parents and my father's grandmother in a very small apartment (it was technically her apartment, that's why we had it "to ourselves". the waiting list for your own apartment was 30 years long or some poo poo like that) with two tiny bedrooms. my great-grandmother had her own room and the three of us got the other one.

then shortly after i turned five we ptfo'ed out to england. tbf i didn't really care at the time because, like, i was less than five years old. i mean i barely remember any of it and most of this was explained to me long after the fact.

so ok gj we're doing about as well as the former soviet union in terms of worker housing

yes the blasted hellscape of a psuedo communist russia that has 30 year wait lists for less than desirable apartments is totally comparable to a market of low financial hassle mobility that compete for appeal and comfort

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mido posted:

yes the blasted hellscape of a psuedo communist russia that has 30 year wait lists for less than desirable apartments is totally comparable to a market of low financial hassle mobility that compete for appeal and comfort

also that kommunalkas were on their way out once khrushchev took over and started building lovely high rises

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have never tipped an uber driver and never will

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

i have never tipped an uber driver and never will

same, because I've never used uber

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have twice and i am ashamed to admit it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I used Uber once when it was just for ordering a limo and before I knew it was run by Randroids.

I only used it because the cab I ordered fail to show, it was the only time I've ever had that happen.

today, I'd just re-order the cab.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i did the math and it would be like 40 dollars a month for me to take uberX to and from work everyday instead of the bus. at night that would cut like 20 minutes easily off the commute because of the backup southbound onto the 5 on denny

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

motorcyclists shouldn't have to follow any of the rules except for red lights and right of way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm the pathological fear of other people.

i went to the movie theater today and someone somewhere around us took off their shoes and it loving stank. or maybe that was just them and they didn't take off their shoes at all. other people are gross.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

it's illegal in every industry, period...but only if it's an actual tip. uber probably treats it as another "we came up with an excuse to tack on a fee" fee, much like the safety fee

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

it's illegal in every industry, period...but only if it's an actual tip. uber probably treats it as another "we came up with an excuse to tack on a fee" fee, much like the safety fee

it's the driver gratuity fee, which you pay Uber in order for them to tip the driver

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sagebrush posted:

i never figured out how the replicators could solve the problem of universal access to desirable non-replicable goods like "a piece of land in san francisco" or "scarlett johanssen's boobs"

i guess that's holodeck territory

how much of the population in star trek is shut-in holodeck junkies living a whole secondary virtual existence? gotta be at least as many as there are self-described Gamers today

Verdafolio posted:

someone make this episode
TNG already did

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Pursuits

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Citizen Tayne posted:

So, how rich is that tiny, tiny amount of people who would be served by LRT, and what are their melatonin levels?

idgi, do insomniacs get better housing or something?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

idgi, do insomniacs get better housing or something?

they're up all night with the sun, Tori's up all night to get lucky

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
gigaom has a funy article up on overused tech catchphrases that need to die. #1 and #2 are obvious but there are some real gems in here

quote:

10) We take users on a journey
9) “Like peanut butter and chocolate”
8) Tech company X’s terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day
7) Startup “story tellers”
6) Ninjas and gurus
5) “We see around corners”
4) Cloud/cloud-based/in-the-cloud
3) Bitcoin is like the internet in 1994
2) Disrupt/Disruption
1) Sharing economy

Adbot