Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ssjonizuka posted:

CSB, can we just once skip referencing your penis in a thread? Yes, we know it's "big" :airquote:, but that doesn't mean it has to be the centerpiece to all conversations....

:thejoke:

Man I wish it were a sleek piece of black aluminum wrapped with gorilla glass II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Brigdh posted:

Yes. Everyone knows octa core is the new crazy :)

Lets see, what can I say as an industry insider.

Core counts are driven by the SE Asia market (Japan/Korea). The market there really demands "N+1". Numbers always have to be going up, even though it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Its basically the modern version of the Ghz wars. You can tell your customer they are an idiot an attempt to educate them, but at the end of the day, the customer buys what they buy, even if its not logical.

India/China are driving the low end and crazy stuff like having 2+ SIMs, and an ever increasing compatibility with every known radio frequency.

Screen size is driven by the evolution of the phone from a phone to a PDA that is a replacement for any other computing device, and is more media driven. This tends to be a USA/Euro thing. The market wants a tablet that can play movies, and happens to make phone calls when needed.

On core counts, 2-4 cores is the sweet spot. 4 can be effectively used by most folks. 8 today is really just a lovely way of trying to optimize 4 for both power and performance because the ARM reference designs are limited in power management. Apple makes 2 work because they don't have crazy customers demanding phones with a specific core count, and Apple does a bunch of crazy stuff on the bus interconnect to make it work. Apple uses their ability to have (nearly) complete control to provide a rather good product that actually meets people's needs, and not marketing number BS. Mostly. Apple has a big case of Not Invented Here Syndrome, which can cause problems.

In the phone space, there is no point to 64-bit yet. Its all marketing. On the whole, you don't want 64-bit. Its slow, consumes more power, and eats up your storage space (on average, you can optimize and bring it to a compatible level as 32-bit, but that really isn't real world). Of course, 32-bit has addressing limitations, and 64-bit can be really handy for virtualization and helping the OS do its job.

64-bit will be necessary on a phone, but that time hasn't hit yet. However, Apple went and surprised the industry by adopting 64-bit before it was technically necessary, and started a marketing war because 64 > 32 on paper, but not in practice.

So yeah, as an Apple fan boy, I really don't see you having a leg to stand on by laughing at other manufacturers for having unnecessary core counts that the end user can't use/doesn't need when Apple did the same thing for screen resolution and 64-bit.

The whole industry is kinda hosed up, but its like Democracy - its broken but the alternatives are surprisingly worse.

Honestly I didn't mind android as an operating system when I had a note 2. What I hated was the phone, it was garbage, and the App Store, full of loving awful apps and a few good ones here and there. I also don't really get why people enjoy tinkering and janitor img their phone when it's annoying enough to do that with PC's.

The main thing that bothers me is the people who are defined by their phone. For me, my iPhone was best for me and what I wanted and it's really just a phone. For many android enthusiasts, it's a way of life and anyone who doesn't use android is either an idiot, a sheeple, or their parents/grandparents. That annoys the poo poo out of me, like dude, be yourself and don't define people by their phone preferences.

So I like to be an rear end about it because I know it drives many android fans up the wall :smug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think we can all agree that, no matter what your preference, your OS is a piece of poo poo.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Raluek posted:

I think we can all agree that, no matter what your preference, your OS is a piece of poo poo.

BeOS was the best OS ever made and I hope everyone who ignored it and never gave it a chance to shine is forever plagued with never ending problems caused by their use of inferior operating systems. :colbert:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

BeOS was the best OS ever made and I hope everyone who ignored it and never gave it a chance to shine is forever plagued with never ending problems caused by their use of inferior operating systems. :colbert:

Correct, though I offer the further point that NeXTSTEP can suck it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

doesn't seem that bad here, but jesus tittyfucking christ is it cold. it's that perfect combination of super cold and super windy and super humid that makes it feel like the wind is ripping your skin off.

-35 Friday morning. -7 today, dropping to -10 and snowing 15-20 cm overnight. Then dropping to -15 by morning, with another 5 cm of snow, then down to -33 for Monday morning.
I love being Canadian, but ffs winter, eat a bag of moosecock this year.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So Elite: Dangerous looks like a pretty awesome game. Except that it's also hilariously confusing with all of the different controls and poo poo you can do and also I don't have a joystick :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

T-Square posted:

So Elite: Dangerous looks like a pretty awesome game. Except that it's also hilariously confusing with all of the different controls and poo poo you can do and also I don't have a joystick :(

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. Relatively cheap, solid, and it's been working great for me. Also, the Flight Sim Megathread can probably recommend you a decent stick setup too if you give them a price range.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Last year I found a thrustmaster HOTAS cougar setup at goodwill for 8.99. Fixed the fire button, listed on eBay for $500, and it sold within hours.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

A real compressor owns. Bitches.

Bachelor life owns. Bitches.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Siochain posted:

-35 Friday morning. -7 today, dropping to -10 and snowing 15-20 cm overnight. Then dropping to -15 by morning, with another 5 cm of snow, then down to -33 for Monday morning.
I love being Canadian, but ffs winter, eat a bag of moosecock this year.

Rode the scooter to work in shorts and a t shirt today :dance:

gently caress that cold weather bullshit.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh also

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

Rode the scooter to work in shorts and a t shirt today :dance:

ATGATT amirite? :cool:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Oh man, now I'm hungry for some hijiki.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Bachelor life owns. Bitches.

Is your kitchen table littered with car parts? Because if not your doing it wrong. :colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well its not in the kitchen and not technically a table but I think this counts

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
OK. It counts. Nice work.

For ultra bachelor status, you have to rebuild an automatic transmission in the tub.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hotcanadianchick I can't say this in that garbage thread because it got gassed so I'm saying it here:

6000 SUX
:cawg:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

poo poo now I'm going to have to swing by the sushi spot on my way home from the airport. Tried the few places within a 45 minute drive of my parents and was disappointed. Should have had some when I was in Minneapolis.

Not looking forward to traveling with my hosed up tailbone. Sitting hurts, walking hurts and if I move wrong I get a nice spike of pain. All my good pain medications are in Tennessee. Today was spent alternating a heat pad and ice on my rear end.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

For ultra bachelor status, you have to rebuild an automatic transmission in the tub.

Guilty.

I've fingered a tranny or two in a tub.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Tusen Takk posted:

Honestly I didn't mind android as an operating system when I had a note 2. What I hated was the phone, it was garbage, and the App Store, full of loving awful apps and a few good ones here and there. I also don't really get why people enjoy tinkering and janitor img their phone when it's annoying enough to do that with PC's.

The main thing that bothers me is the people who are defined by their phone. For me, my iPhone was best for me and what I wanted and it's really just a phone. For many android enthusiasts, it's a way of life and anyone who doesn't use android is either an idiot, a sheeple, or their parents/grandparents. That annoys the poo poo out of me, like dude, be yourself and don't define people by their phone preferences.

So I like to be an rear end about it because I know it drives many android fans up the wall :smug:

Much of the same can be said for the Cult of Apple.

However if you really want to be a hipster, find a QNX phone.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Today was a good day, I got the beater 540i retinted and it looks phenomenal.

Took my dad's Z to the dyno (with the boost issue) and did this:

http://youtu.be/2ZpNjrv3i7w

I'll post the plot tomorrow, you can see my 3 stage boost control creep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Late Christmas presents are sometimes the best. I got a funky Stanley Fatmax tripod light thing from a friend and and Xbox One Kinect from another! And finally found a nice winter coat that isn't horribly bulky, great day all around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

ATGATT amirite? :cool:

Actually I wasn't wearing flip flops this time so I guess I hosed up? I did have sunglasses on tho.

Also I seem to be having horrible luck with electronic devices, anyone happen to know why the brand new JBL Charge speaker I bought seems to not like certain non bluetooth MP3 players through the aux input? My old Sandisk Sansa is barely audible with both devices turned all the way up.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, it's been raining nonstop since Friday. It only just stopped a couple of hours ago, actually. This is all spillway runoff from one lake. One. It's kind of a miracle I haven't had to go do any water rescues yet :v:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Hang on,

Brigdh posted:

the ARM reference designs are limited in power management

...I thought this was ARM's biggest plus point?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My roommates right after I graduated barely blinked when they came home to me working on an AW4 on the coffee table while watching a movie, beer in hand.

Good roommates. Too bad one moved to california and the replacement we found was an only child and an utterly spoiled, self centered douchebag who nearly got us evicted within a month of moving in.

Funny thing is, she (the one that moved to california, not the douchebag who replaced her) is marrying an AIer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
All you phone nerds can kiss my Kyocera qcp 6035.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Hybrid Hypercar question:

Take the P1; theoretically between the gas (727hp) and electric (176hp) motors, it has 903hp. But what I don't understand is that this figure is the combined output of both motors; and while you can certainly top up your gas tank once you've run it dry, there's no quick or convenient way to recharge the electric battery - you can plug it in - but the charging system will take a long time - or you'd need to run the car on gas only for long enough to charge the battery back up. Is there something I'm missing here? I mean, if you're at a racetrack, I wouldn't think regenerative braking would be enough that you could say you had a 903hp car all day - and if you're recharging using the motor as a generator, you don't even have a 727hp car either, because you're losing power charging the battery.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You don't use full power all the time on a track.

It's using gas+electric when you're putting the hammer down exiting a corner, and then recharging from the gas engine (maybe regen braking....I'm not sure it has that) when you aren't using all 700+ HP available.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Like anybody is going to actually take their P1 to a loving track.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Got some new fancy Osram bulbs for the Polo's headlights, such an improvement, seriously.

Brights off:

Brights on:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

sarcastx posted:

Hybrid Hypercar question:

Take the P1; theoretically between the gas (727hp) and electric (176hp) motors, it has 903hp. But what I don't understand is that this figure is the combined output of both motors; and while you can certainly top up your gas tank once you've run it dry, there's no quick or convenient way to recharge the electric battery - you can plug it in - but the charging system will take a long time - or you'd need to run the car on gas only for long enough to charge the battery back up. Is there something I'm missing here? I mean, if you're at a racetrack, I wouldn't think regenerative braking would be enough that you could say you had a 903hp car all day - and if you're recharging using the motor as a generator, you don't even have a 727hp car either, because you're losing power charging the battery.

It's a wank that gives hypercars "green" credentials while being nothing of the sort.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

mafoose posted:

Today was a good day, I got the beater 540i retinted and it looks phenomenal.

Took my dad's Z to the dyno (with the boost issue) and did this:

http://youtu.be/2ZpNjrv3i7w

I'll post the plot tomorrow, you can see my 3 stage boost control creep.

And here it is:

mafoose fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 4, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ssjonizuka posted:

That could certainly be part of it. My tab is the larger one (12"?) There are just some behaviors that irk me. I tend to browse reddit lazily when not on the forums, so the tendency for gifs to be full screen (and then some) is a major annoyance. It also has some memory leaks somewhere - network traffic just gets bogged down and responses are slow if it's been on for a week plus. And the chrome browser seems gimpy at best even on a "high power" tablet like this. I know it's not a full x86/64 architecture, but for it to be so unpolished is a let down.

Re: your problem with network traffic getting bogged down, that's not exclusively due to a memory leak, although that is probably a factor as well. The main problem is that the network stack in Android is very bad at handling multiple connections at the same time. If you want to see it really struggle, try running a Bittorrent client. It'll bring everything to a grinding halt.

I agree 100% about the gimped browsing experience. I used to have a Transformer Infinity, but I just couldn't stand the limitations. Now I have a Chromebook instead, which is ~1 million times more pleasant for browsing, since it runs actual full-blown Chrome instead of the useless mobile version.

meltie posted:

Hang on,

Low power consumption is a big selling point for ARM architectures, but they're not nearly as flexible when it comes to power management as current x86 designs. This is why you see stuff like big.LITTLE setups and dedicated low-power cores and so on. For instance, my Chromebook has an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor. It's a quad-core 2.3GHz ARM Cortex-A15 chip, but it also has a dedicated "battery saver" low-power core that it can switch to and disable the main four cores in order to conserve power. The main ARM cores can't throttle very well, so they had to add the battery saver core as a workaround.

Cat Terrist posted:

It's a wank that gives hypercars "green" credentials while being nothing of the sort.

The green credentials are what they use to justify still building ridiculous supercars, but the real reason is torque fill. The electric motors work to help initial acceleration where the main engine isn't quite into the powerband yet, and they fill in during gear changes or on sudden acceleration as well. Engines need a little bit of time to react to throttle inputs, but electric power has no such limitation. It gives the P1, 918 and LaFerrari instant throttle response.

It's not all bullshit when they mention the green credentials, though. When driven around normally, the P1 supposedly averages 25mpg. That's the same as my 160hp family sedan. If that's not impressive, I don't know what is.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

meltie posted:

Hang on,

Different metric. The ARM architecture is quite efficient per Watt, which is what you are thinking of. ARM is not the most powerful architecture. If you need to crunch some numbers as fast as possible, x86 is probably your best bet. However, in general, an ARM chip will consume less total power to crunch those same numbers, though it may take a bit longer to do. In the phone space, this translates to a longer battery life. In the server space, it means lower power bills and less cooling.

ARM (the company) doesn't really make any products. Other companies (ie Apple, Nvidia, Samsung, etc) license ARM's IP (intellectual property) technology and create the chips that go into products. Generally speaking, there are two "types" of licensing deals. A company can license the rights to a reference design (such as the A9, M0, or A53 for example) and then the company can "copy and paste" that design into whatever product they are designing and have a fab create the silicon. The licensee is allowed to do some customization of the reference design (such as remove a crypto feature that isn't needed). The other type of license is an architecture license. The licensee in this case gets the rights to produce their own designs from scratch which implement the ARM instruction set. This is comparable to the arrangement between Intel and AMD in the x86 world. Intel owns the x86 instruction set and produces chips which implement it. AMD licenses the x86 instruction set, and designs their own chips which implement it. The designs and implementations are unique, but they both adhear to the x86 instruction set standard which allows programs compiled to x86 to run on both.

The ARM reference designs are really just that, a reference. You can make a product with them without changing the design, but the design won't be optimized. ARM doesn't provide different variants of a particular design, and to an extent they don't have the experience to exactly know what each individual field needs. In many ways a company can produce a better design than what ARM can, but not every company has the expertise or budget to customize the reference designs, and a rare few companies can design their own ARM chips from scratch.

Power management is the set of knobs you have to change the power consumption for different scenarios. A phone, for example, isn't using 100% of the processor's capabilities at all times. When your phone is in your pocket, its generally not doing a whole lot. When you check your email, the phone is doing some thing, but not as much as if you were playing Angry Birds. To get maximum battery life, you want to tune your power consumption to the current processing demand. So when you are playing Angry Birds, your phone processor is probably running at a higher clock frequency (aka "faster") than when you are checking email. When your phone is in your pocket, the processor is probably in a hibernation or suspend state.

Generally power management involves running something faster/slower, or turning something off. The slower something runs, the less power it consumes. In a simple world, when you turn something off, it consumes no power. So, if you are checking email, and have a quad core processor, you probably want to turn off 3 of those cores and run the 4th one at a low to medium speed. This way, the phone consumes only enough power to provide a reasonable experience for the task of checking email, and hopefully no more.

Circling back to the original point, ARM reference designs generally don't provide as much power management options. A quad core reference design from ARM may require that all 4 cores be powered on, ie you can't have just one or two on. Some of their reference designs require that all cores run the same clock frequency (speed). This can be very limiting in how efficiently your phone is able to manage its power consumption for any particular scenario. In general the reference designs are not terrible, but there can be a ton of optimization done for the phoen space, which is why Apple (for example) designs their own processors instead of using a "off the shelf" solution.

KozmoNaut posted:

Low power consumption is a big selling point for ARM architectures, but they're not nearly as flexible when it comes to power management as current x86 designs. This is why you see stuff like big.LITTLE setups and dedicated low-power cores and so on. For instance, my Chromebook has an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor. It's a quad-core 2.3GHz ARM Cortex-A15 chip, but it also has a dedicated "battery saver" low-power core that it can switch to and disable the main four cores in order to conserve power. The main ARM cores can't throttle very well, so they had to add the battery saver core as a workaround.

Architectural licensees (generally speaking Apple, Qualcomm, Samsung) have designed in power management options comparable to x86 designs to their homegrown designs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I stand corrected :)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. Relatively cheap, solid, and it's been working great for me. Also, the Flight Sim Megathread can probably recommend you a decent stick setup too if you give them a price range.

Yeah, but I'm still getting hilariously confused by watching videos of Elite: Dangerous and seeing everyone flipping and scrolling through different screens on-board in the middle of dog-fights and how the poo poo are you supposed to keep track of all the systems out there, holy poo poo.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'm a sucker for shakycam movies. Watching Paranormal Activity 5 right now and I'm gonna be up late tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

What is a man? A miserable little pile of meerkats!
_________________/

• Locked thread