Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
They call them outcasts. Turning from the paths they wander the galaxy, the eyes and ears of their Craftworlds. They are the Rangers.

Scouring worlds for lost Eldar artifacts, this small band has arrived at a world well within Imperial space.

In the cold winds linger the hint of death. A battle was fought not long ago, and a city devastated.

The band approaches the outskirts swiftly, merely a blur in the shifting snows.

Like ghosts, they flit through the wintry ruins.

Deeper into the city the band moves; what will they find? Only the Seers know.

The board is really coming along. Also, I have like 3 more buildings to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
gently caress! That owns.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's a mighty fine board you've got there. A mighty fine board indeed

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
think I'm playing my AdMech against Tau tomorrow. which idiot poo poo hellfucker will have the most dumb broken bullshit in their army? ignores cover missiles? 6 plasma gun shots that are precision shots on a 5+ but don't get hot? I'll take photos/make a battle report if there's any interest.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

think I'm playing my AdMech against Tau tomorrow. which idiot poo poo hellfucker will have the most dumb broken bullshit in their army? ignores cover missiles? 6 plasma gun shots that are precision shots on a 5+ but don't get hot? I'll take photos/make a battle report if there's any interest.

Maybe you'll both lose

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
all I want is vindication for all the games of tau vs tyranids

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Boon, that's the good poo poo right there. Armies with matching terrain, especially when they look that good, are a rarity.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Just keep in mind the fusils are actually ap3.
Don't forget cyber occularis grant a 3" interceptor bubble if he tries to get cute with a deep striking suit star.
There is no mercy as a tyranid player against tau.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ANAmal.net posted:

gently caress! That owns.

Came to post this ^

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Cyber occularis spam, Myrmidon Distructors with Volkites, Knights, Darkfire Castellax, and AV15 angry tractors.

Have fun and make lots of friends!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Kill The Riptide

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Broadsides will probably be a pain, too, but I'm just going to hide behind my tractor.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's awesome. Until you scroll down and get to those dinky chicken feet. :v:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Is there any more info on that thing? Call me suspicious but I could believe that you would take it apart and put it back together in a walker shape, but I have a hard time believing it just unfolds into it. If it does, that is some serious engineering skill.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Genghis Cohen posted:

Is there any more info on that thing? Call me suspicious but I could believe that you would take it apart and put it back together in a walker shape, but I have a hard time believing it just unfolds into it. If it does, that is some serious engineering skill.

Apparently it took five years to make. Follow along! See page 14 for all the finished pictures. It was finished (and posted about) three years ago, actually.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Finished Curze.

More pictures available here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&pagenumber=1247#post439773613

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Those poor Solar Auxilia.

:smith:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
That looks sick.

I just finished a Stormtalon, my second one. Going to pair them up with a Fire Raptor.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lord Twisted posted:

That looks sick.

I just finished a Stormtalon, my second one. Going to pair them up with a Fire Raptor.

That's a nice, smooth red you accomplished there. Good job!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

thegodofchuck posted:

Apparently it took five years to make. Follow along! See page 14 for all the finished pictures. It was finished (and posted about) three years ago, actually.

Thank you for that, also JESUS gently caress.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

M'c'tan.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

M'indshackle

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So I have an apocalypse game tomorrow, and I am bringing a Tyrant's Legion list from IA:9 (revised). It's a real mashup of whatever I have lying around/finished, unfortunately due to time constraints I was unable to finish my Imperial Navy support, I'm still tossing up how to base them. As I've said before, this is a fairly fast moving list as far as the Tyrant's Legion is concerned, as anything important has tracks and the meatshield dudes will die well enough. For those unfamiliar with the list, it was designed with a unique Force Org chart which basically for 4 Elites, 5 Troops, 1 Fast Attack and 3 Heavy Support. To this end, a whole ton of bloat exists, for example, the Elites are more or less not worth taking beside Retaliators, and even then they require a Razorback, although the Renegade Marauders are interesting. Troops are extremely basic, you MUST take a squad of 20 conscripts (Legion Auxilia) and then you have the option of a basic Tac squad of at least 10 dudes, or effectively an Armored Fist SQUAD with the old reroll 1's and Carapace Armour, although I elected to not add carapace armour because reasons.

Finally, FA only has three options, Space Marine Bikes which are decent thanks to the FW Chapter rules for Astral Claws, Hellhound Squadron and Sentry Guns. Of these, only the Hellhound appeals to me because I hail from a time where Bikes were fairly :laffo: in my area. Heavy Support has a shitload of options and thankfully my Leman Russes are part of a seperate formation, so I can feel free to bring whatever the hell I have lying around, which frankly isn't much at all. I'm loathe to pick anything else up prior to the game for HS because it won't be used too much thanks to my Thunderbolts.

quote:

++HQ++
--Arch-Centurion Carnac Commodus... 105
(Warlord)

++Elites++

++Troops++
--Legion Auxilia... 90
2x Grenade Launchers
Frag Grenades

--Legion Auxilia... 90
2x Grenade Launchers
Frag Grenades

--Legion Cohort... 160
Flamer + Missile Launcher
-Rhino APC... 35

--Legion Cohort... 140
-Rhino APC... 35

--Auxilia Armsman Cadre... 70
Krak Grenades, Heavy Bolter
-Chimera APC... 55

++Fast Attack++

++Heavy Support++

--Space Marine Predator Annihilator... 140
w/ Lascannon Sponsons and HK Missile

++Other++

--Tyrant's Legion 'Blood Pride' Battle Squadron... 1455
(+75)
-Baneblade... (725pts)
w/ Command Tank
-Leman Russ Vanquisher... (155+
w/ Lascannon and Coax Stormbolter/stubber
-Leman Russ Battle Tank... (180)
w/ Lascannon and HB Sponsons
-Leman Russ Battle Tank... (160)
w/ Lascannon
-Leman Russ Battle Tank... (160)
w/Lascannon

It's a bit schizophrenic, but my game plan (my team has to assault a bastion or something) is to just focus around the Battle Squadron formation and just roll from there. I know that I'll be facing Marine (I am on the bad guy side) so I just have to see how it goes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Looks great! I just finished scrubbing mine. Thinking of tackling Lorgar first for practice before I do Kurze.

Also, I painted up a DV Chaos Lord for my Black Legion! The lighting is crap, but I'm so happy with how it turned out that I don't care and I think the photos are decent:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Putting together some sternguard. Is two meltas and four combi meltas overkill in a ten man squad?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Anyone know where to buy the plastic canopies for the storm raven separately?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Cataphract posted:

Putting together some sternguard. Is two meltas and four combi meltas overkill in a ten man squad?

Tbh you don't want to take normal special weapons unless it's a heavy flamer. Sternguard thrive off of flexibility. Usually 4 combi Melta will be more than enough otherwise the cost of the unit balloons. I usually go for 3 combi Melta for ten men in a pod and combat squad them so the Melta squad wrecks the transport target and the other squad hits the contents.

Sternguard have the key strength of flexibility with their ammo, and giving them a special weapon removes that bonus

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

Looks great! I just finished scrubbing mine. Thinking of tackling Lorgar first for practice before I do Kurze.

Also, I painted up a DV Chaos Lord for my Black Legion! The lighting is crap, but I'm so happy with how it turned out that I don't care and I think the photos are decent:

Ooooowns. I'm intimidated by the amount of detail on that model.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Weird question. Is there a way to speed things up for generating large numbers psychic powers? I played Tzeentch Chaos Daemons in my most recent tournament, and I really love the army. Everything from the models to the fluff to, perhaps most importantly, the disgusted looks as I pick up all my ones and throw them into successes. I've played them before, but never at higher points, and I had to generate an absolute poo poo ton of things before the game even starts. Six rolls for Fateweaver. Eight rolls between my Heralds. Rolls for an allied Sorcerer (I want to bring Ahriman some day, and he makes this worse,) rolls for my Daemon Prince, rolls for even my basic troops. It's across multiple books and tables, and it all has to be marked down and assigned. The awkward silence as I spend several minutes before each game rolling dice as my opponent fiddles with his models is loving painful.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Stanyer89 posted:

Anyone know where to buy the plastic canopies for the storm raven separately?

Bitzbox.co.uk just started selling 3rd party canopies for the various flyers...not sure which one you need but if you can't find a real GW one these look alright: http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/index.php/3rd-party-products-canopies-c-438_506

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, I'm putting together my first 40K army, some space wolves. Got the big box they released recently, and someone on eBay was selling a thing of basically all the hero types, so I was able pick them up for cheap. I'm a long way from getting it all painted, but I have some store credit from a recent paint contest, so I thought I might grab a few sets for later down the line. To that end, any advice on filling in gaps? Here's what I have:

1 Stormfang
1 Razorback
30 Space Marines (ten assembled as grey hunters)
15 Terminators
5 Long fangs
5 Skyclaws
3 Thunderwolf Cavalry
1 Venerable Dreadnaught
1 Krom Dragongaze
1 Captain
1 Drop Pod
1 Lukas the Trickster
1 Grimnar on Chariot
1 Bjorn the Fellhanded
1 Grimnar on Foot
1 Ragnar Blackmane
1 Canis Wolfborn
1 Ulrik the Slayer
1 Njal Stormcaller
1 Runepriest
2 Iron Priest

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I just tried the Resurgence Decurion against some of my friends the other night - that's the WD special formation for Necrons. One Monolith, two squads of warriors, two squads of immortals, the monolith can restore lost models like a ghost ark. I had full 20-and 10-man blobs of warriors and immortals, backed up with a pair of smaller warrior squads in ghost arks from my primary detachment. Warrior blobs advanced to the sides and front of the Monolith, functioning as bubble wrap for the rest of the formation, while the monolith and ghost arks repaired any casualties. Adding insult to injury, I had a pair of canoptek spyders with fabricator claws follow behind the Monolith to repair vehicle damage.

Verdict: As long as the warrior squads don't get swept up in close combat or something, you can take a hilarious amount of casualties and just bounce right back. I think I lost and repaired something to the tine of fifty-sixty warriors throughout that game, right until that space wolf gunship dropped in and blew up the Monolith. Anything halfway competent in close combat is still going to make your warriors evaporate, though - let alone poo poo like tooled-up Death Company and the like.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

So I just tried the Resurgence Decurion against some of my friends the other night - that's the WD special formation for Necrons. One Monolith, two squads of warriors, two squads of immortals, the monolith can restore lost models like a ghost ark. I had full 20-and 10-man blobs of warriors and immortals, backed up with a pair of smaller warrior squads in ghost arks from my primary detachment. Warrior blobs advanced to the sides and front of the Monolith, functioning as bubble wrap for the rest of the formation, while the monolith and ghost arks repaired any casualties. Adding insult to injury, I had a pair of canoptek spyders with fabricator claws follow behind the Monolith to repair vehicle damage.

Verdict: As long as the warrior squads don't get swept up in close combat or something, you can take a hilarious amount of casualties and just bounce right back. I think I lost and repaired something to the tine of fifty-sixty warriors throughout that game, right until that space wolf gunship dropped in and blew up the Monolith. Anything halfway competent in close combat is still going to make your warriors evaporate, though - let alone poo poo like tooled-up Death Company and the like.

Sounds pretty drat fun. Here's hoping the Ghost Arks will get to bring back Immortals too in the update.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Sounds pretty drat fun. Here's hoping the Ghost Arks will get to bring back Immortals too in the update.

It was fun, though having that many gauss flayer shots per turn makes your shooting phases last forfuckingever - of course it didn't help that I also had a pair of Triarch Stalkers with heat rays running around. Twenty warriors rapidfiring is bad enough, but when you open up by deciding 'that needs to die right now', slap something with a pair of melta shots, and follow it up with fourty twinlinked gauss shots per warrior blob..

Edit: Of course Warrior and Immortal point costs being what they are, this only works in big games - we had an Escalation 2v2 match of 5000 points on each side, 2,5K per army. We'll see what happens with the new Codex.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 5, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
So with everything I've painted up so far, here's my current Black Legion army:

2 CSM squads (1 w/Mark of Khorne and CC Weapons), 1 Helbrute, 1 Forgefiend, a Chaos Lord, a Terminator champion/lord, and Abaddon, who is too big to be included in games with this army. As I don't play with unpainted units, I need to figure out where to go next to add stuff in, so I figured I'd open it up to suggestions.

Here's what I've got available to paint next:
- Havocs (1 squad, lots of extra autocannon/lascannon bits lying around though)
- Raptors (the old metal ones, 10)
- Berserkers
- Terminators (19 unpainted)
- Sorcerer
- Chaos Space Marines squad (another one)
- Cultists

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Probably the Havocs or the Sorceror.

Morachi
Nov 22, 2014
Twelve months on, the Dras'Volharr Eldar Theme table of a now desolated former Maiden World has been completed. Only the commissioned terrain is left to be completed.

More photos and details here http://wcwdb.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/drasvolharr-theme-table-project.html

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That table is gorgeous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Morachi posted:

Twelve months on, the Dras'Volharr Eldar Theme table of a now desolated former Maiden World has been completed. Only the commissioned terrain is left to be completed.

<table>

This looks amazing!

• Locked thread