Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

This is literally the opposite of the truth.

S1 she absolutely owned it, but she's been a bit uneven since then.

Same with Sansa. When they get a big scene (slay frey, bring me cheese) they're awesome, but in the smaller ones they're not bringing the same subtleties as when they had Sean Bean breathing down their necks.

They're still drat good, but when the writers don't give them enough to work with its clear they're no Peter Dinklage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Congratulations on scouring the deep web for the one moment in the series where she expresses an emotion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Don't respond to Irish Joe.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Irish Joe needs to share his deepweb Arya gif links

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Brock Samson posted:

Irish Joe needs to share his deepweb Arya gif links

He's not a Aatrek alt account.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

As if Aatrek would be interested in an old bag like Maisie.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, he's into little boys not little girls.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

rydiafan posted:

Killing the butcher's boy was his job, he had no choice, and somebody would have done it if he hadn't. You might as well claim Ned is a shithead for executing the deserter in episode 1.

Ned is indeed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

As if Aatrek would be interested in an old bag like Maisie.

Why don't you have $5 to change that terrible av?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Maarak posted:

Ned is indeed.

I was going to say. "He acted on orders" is kind of a baaaaaaaad excuse, historically speaking. Same as "if I hadn't done it, someone else would have". What's interesting about the Hound is that he is totally aware of this.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I was going to say. "He acted on orders" is kind of a baaaaaaaad excuse, historically speaking. Same as "if I hadn't done it, someone else would have".

This is true, but it's still better than the reasons 90% of the characters have for any of the evil poo poo they do.

I'm not saying The Hound isn't an rear end in a top hat who did evil poo poo. I'm saying every single character is an rear end in a top hat who does evil poo poo, but The Hound does a comparatively large amount of niceish poo poo too.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Ned's not evil for killing the deserter, what the gently caress? He was guilty and that was the legally proscribed punishment.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I forgot to respond to that earlier but yeah. Some bloodshed might have been prevented if that deserter had done his job and gone back to Castle Black to give his report instead of breaking his vow before gods and man. Meanwhile the butcher's boy did literally nothing wrong and was also a child. That's a really lovely comparison to make.

e: I just looked the butcher's boy up to make sure I wasn't talking out of my rear end here and wow the name of the actor who played him is Rhodri Hosking. That is a real person's name, not a GoT character's name. The character's name (Mycah, for anyone else who forgot) is less weird than the actor's name.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 5, 2015

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

loquacius posted:

I forgot to respond to that earlier but yeah. Some bloodshed might have been prevented if that deserter had done his job and gone back to Castle Black to give his report instead of breaking his vow before gods and man. Meanwhile the butcher's boy did literally nothing wrong and was also a child. That's a really lovely comparison to make.

e: I just looked the butcher's boy up to make sure I wasn't talking out of my rear end here and wow the name of the actor who played him is Rhodri Hosking. That is a real person's name, not a GoT character's name. The character's name (Mycah, for anyone else who forgot) is less weird than the actor's name.

By weird you mean Welsh, right?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

By weird you mean Welsh, right?

Yeah I guess I do

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

loquacius posted:

Meanwhile the butcher's boy did literally nothing wrong

He physically assaulted the king's heir. That's pretty loving wrong.

Yes, I know it wasn't true, but Joffery's statements are pretty legally binding.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

loquacius posted:

Yeah I guess I do

Rh is a bit Targ, but Rodri Hosking is a blatant First Men name so he's definitely a northman, or at a stretch a Riverlander.

Shame how GRRM abandoned all the regional naming styles for Essos, in favour of smashing his face against the keyboard.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Mortabis posted:

Ned's not evil for killing the deserter, what the gently caress? He was guilty and that was the legally proscribed punishment.

Hiding behind legalism won't stop the white walkers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Rh is a bit Targ, but Rodri Hosking is a blatant First Men name so he's definitely a northman, or at a stretch a Riverlander.

Shame how GRRM abandoned all the regional naming styles for Essos, in favour of smashing his face against the keyboard.

Makes perfect sense if you're writing from a Westerosi perspective.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, because names like Hizdaq are so much less believable than similarly pronounced real world Eastern names like Shadrach that have also been translated into a different alphabet.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Thinking about Essos, i wonder if they're gonna bother bringing back Quaithe this season or if she's going into the minor character dumpster.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lycus posted:

Thinking about Essos, i wonder if they're gonna bother bringing back Quaithe this season or if she's going into the minor character dumpster.

It depends how far into the season Dany leaving with Drogon is I imagine.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm assuming its going to be an ep 9/10 climax.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I would be surprised if she makes it in. I don't even think they brought Illyrio back this season, did they?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

We know they filmed a scene that takes place at his estate.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, because names like Hizdaq are so much less believable than similarly pronounced real world Eastern names like Shadrach that have also been translated into a different alphabet.

Oh they're certainly believable, but a right pain in the arse.

I had to look up Shadrach, but it's a good example, lets look at some other names from the book of Daniel:
Meshach
Azariah\Abednego
Nebuchadnezzar
Belshazzar

Those were a pain to spell, and I would probably muck up the stresses if I tried to pronounce them, because I'm just not used to those combinations of phenomes.But I can tell them apart, there's a nice distinct rhythm and mouth-feel to each name.
vs

Skahaz mo Kandaq
Bhakaz zo Loraq
Draqaz
Hazzea
Dhazzar

which are basically anagrams.

Consistency and clarity in naming is something that pisses me off with a lot of fantasy, and with the Westerosi Gurm shits all over the competition in terms of names that feel mystical but still have some kind of internal logic to them. Maybe because he's deliberately riffing on Celtic and old English names, either it gives him a stronger base to work from or just makes it easier for me to grasp what he's doing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Zs are only worth one point in Meereen Scrabble.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh they're certainly believable, but a right pain in the arse.

I had to look up Shadrach, but it's a good example, lets look at some other names from the book of Daniel:
Meshach
Azariah\Abednego
Nebuchadnezzar
Belshazzar

Those were a pain to spell, and I would probably muck up the stresses if I tried to pronounce them, because I'm just not used to those combinations of phenomes.But I can tell them apart, there's a nice distinct rhythm and mouth-feel to each name.
vs

Skahaz mo Kandaq
Bhakaz zo Loraq
Draqaz
Hazzea
Dhazzar

which are basically anagrams.

Consistency and clarity in naming is something that pisses me off with a lot of fantasy, and with the Westerosi Gurm shits all over the competition in terms of names that feel mystical but still have some kind of internal logic to them. Maybe because he's deliberately riffing on Celtic and old English names, either it gives him a stronger base to work from or just makes it easier for me to grasp what he's doing.

You should look up some Wade Giles versions of Chinese names, it's very much in the same vein as the latter in terms of readability and similarity (although even in pinyin the spelling is the same and just the tones are different).

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Making foreign or exotic names is easy:

1. Add Q's where they normally wouldnt belong.

2. The more Z's the better, especially consecutive ones.

3. Add abnormal combinations like Bh and Dh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TommyGun85 posted:

Making foreign or exotic names is easy:

1. Add Q's where they normally wouldnt belong.

2. The more Z's the better, especially consecutive ones.

3. Add abnormal combinations like Bh and Dh.

Stop talking Bholloqzz.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You're also missing Hizdahr and Harzoo :v:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

We got our babby Cersei

And some other girl named Ghita was also cast.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
In some non-fantasy name news HBO announced that they'll be screening episodes 9 and 10 of last season in select IMAX theaters. This will be coupled with the premier of the first season 5 trailer. The screenings will be on Jan 23-29 so don't expect any trailers or footage before then, unless it gets leaked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/business/game-of-thrones-takes-a-trailer-of-its-new-season-to-imax.html?_r=0

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

lifts cats over head posted:

In some non-fantasy name news HBO announced that they'll be screening episodes 9 and 10 of last season in select IMAX theaters. This will be coupled with the premier of the first season 5 trailer. The screenings will be on Jan 23-29 so don't expect any trailers or footage before then, unless it gets leaked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/business/game-of-thrones-takes-a-trailer-of-its-new-season-to-imax.html?_r=0

If there's one episode I don't want to see in IMAX, it's s04 ep 09. :stare:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Why not? Big battle scenes, and what not.

Were you thinking of exploding head? That's episode 8.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

timp posted:

Why wouldn't you? That battle was awesome.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

timp posted:

Uh what? This is like one of the few episodes worth seeing in IMAX

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I would kill to see Blackwater in IMAX. The other Neil Marshall episode will have to do.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

rydiafan posted:

Oh yeah my bad, I was thinking of Episode 8. Episode 9 would be cool, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

rydiafan posted:

Well, there is a hammer to the head in episode 9. Still, not nearly as gory as The Viper vs the Mountain.

• Locked thread