Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

vessbot posted:

New Year's Eve in a hotel room studying flows #pilotlife:toot:

e: posting about studying flows #goonlife

Doing CBT for recurrent ground school on an overnight. Nothing rings in the new year quite like hour after hour of microsoft sam narrating power point presentations. :negative:

Also, my schedule has 2 flights tomorrow both less than 1 hour separated by a 7 hour sit. Yaaaaaay scheduling efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Doing CBT for recurrent ground school on an overnight. Nothing rings in the new year quite like hour after hour of microsoft sam narrating power point presentations. :negative:

Also, my schedule has 2 flights tomorrow both less than 1 hour separated by a 7 hour sit. Yaaaaaay scheduling efficiency.

I have a stupidly long overnight tomorrow, so I'll probably spend a chunk of that doing some of the new CBT we just got assigned a few days ago.

You have my sympathies for the screwed up schedule. I've ended up doing quite a few trips with annoying sits (always before the last leg to go to a hotel/home), but I don't think we have anything close to seven hours unless broken airplanes get involved.

I ended up working a six leg, 11 hour day on Christmas, which wasn't a ton of fun (there was nothing but Christmas music on the AM band), but I ended up getting a pretty nice photo opportunity in Portland as the sun was setting...

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

Holiday flying usually sucks. During my regional days they usually ended up being like a 0545 RON show on Thanksgiving, fly one leg to a hub, sit for six hours then fly one leg to a RON where there isn't anything to eat except microwave burritos from the 7-11 a half mile from the hotel. I used to carry ten pounds of books with me on these trips, since Al Gore hadn't invented the internet at that point. :corsair:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'd like to go to a part 141 school, I'm currently seeking the funding to do such a thing. There don't seem to be many schools that will work with federal student loans. I've found three flight schools so far that provided FAFSA school codes. I've got to keep in mind I already went to college and got an unrelated bachelor's degree, and I've paid all but $17k of those federal loans down, but I'm also considering a 2 year degree from a state or community college if it makes getting federal funding easier.

Recommendations for how to proceed would be excellent. To start, filled out a fafsa and went through ATP Flight School's financing application to see what they could offer, just to get an idea, and I believe they don't accept federal funding. They're asking me now if I can find cosigner for some sort of student loan plan.

Part of the problem with doing this part 61 besides it taking too long and being more expensive is that the closest flight school is a 1.5 hour drive. the part 141 'pilot mills' tend to have student housing that I would be interested in.

I should add I only have a few hours of 'discovery' flight experience and obviously, no license, but I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of making this into a career.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 2, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Oklahoma State University
Oklahoma University
Western Michican University
Utah Valley
Purdue
Embry-Riddle

Embry-Riddle is for fakers who don't actually do any schoolwork besides airplane. I argue that those individuals aren't well rounded enough to survive outside scrutiny of degrees for anybody that actually "cares" as an employer.

Edit: But since you already have a BA the universities might be a great way to get a masters and go to flight school...

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 3, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I haven't seen any masters programs that compliment or include flight school, but I haven't been looking, because my undergrad GPA was very poor. I don't want to ignore grad school, but I've got to be realistic about where I can go. That's why one of these open admission A.S. degree schools like Utah Valley is appealing. It's a shorter program that utilizes federal student aid. I'm in the 'welp' category of students, having a first BA and rubbed the student debt ceiling, even though I already paid $30K in loans back, means I'm going to have a hard time funding this without going to grad school. Unless there is some open admission grad school miracle program out there, that would be nice.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 3, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ethanol posted:

I'd like to go to a part 141 school, I'm currently seeking the funding to do such a thing. There don't seem to be many schools that will work with federal student loans. I've found three flight schools so far that provided FAFSA school codes. I've got to keep in mind I already went to college and got an unrelated bachelor's degree, and I've paid all but $17k of those federal loans down, but I'm also considering a 2 year degree from a state or community college if it makes getting federal funding easier.

Recommendations for how to proceed would be excellent. To start, filled out a fafsa and went through ATP Flight School's financing application to see what they could offer, just to get an idea, and I believe they don't accept federal funding. They're asking me now if I can find cosigner for some sort of student loan plan.

Part of the problem with doing this part 61 besides it taking too long and being more expensive is that the closest flight school is a 1.5 hour drive. the part 141 'pilot mills' tend to have student housing that I would be interested in.

I should add I only have a few hours of 'discovery' flight experience and obviously, no license, but I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of making this into a career.

See if you can find any flight schools near you that qualify for the Workforce Investment Act grants. (WIA grants don't require a 141 school either, my school is part 61)

The application and selection process varies by county, so you'll have to google around for the process.

I am submitting my application next week and assuming I get accepted I'll be getting $6000 to put towards my CPL.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'm not sure how insane you'd have to be at this point to get into this career and want to take on debt to do so. Adding another degree is not going to solve your problem and I really suggest having more than a few hours of "oh isn't this fun" discovery flight before you do something quite expensive. Also, lol Apollo I'm pretty sure I did more than "airplanes" at Embry Riddle.
As for taking lessons at a local flight school "taking too long" - doing it through a degree is going to be faster how? And there's no rushing your way to ATP mins, even if you meet the restricted qualifier you're talking at least two years.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 3, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Slaughter posted:

I'm not sure how insane you'd have to be at this point to get into this career and want to take on debt to do so. Adding another degree is not going to solve your problem and I really suggest having more than a few hours of "oh isn't this fun" discovery flight before you do something quite expensive. Also, lol Apollo I'm pretty sure I did more than "airplanes" at Embry Riddle.
As for taking lessons at a local flight school "taking too long" - doing it through a degree is going to be faster how? And there's no rushing your way to ATP mins, even if you meet the restricted qualifier you're talking at least two years.
Please, let's not get into the dreamcrushing. I am seeking funding for flight training not asking if I should follow my dreams or get a second degree for the hell of it. I can afford to get my ppl and am currently doing so. Obviously I have put way, way more thought into it than 'a few hours of this is fun'. Let's leave that at that.

Now I know it is confusing but all my reasoning for halting paying the local part 61 school for now... is that a short degree program may be cheaper than paying for straight part 61 flight training because of the unique way student financing works in the US these days. that's the point of a asking you guys these questions. I don't want to appear smug but this preliminary cost number ($75,000) for flight training AND a two year degree is still less than half the cost of my bachelors degree and I managed to pay for that that and only came out with 17 k in debt. Add grants and federal loans, that 75k becomes very doable. Funding for school can come in the oddest ways. Funding for a non academic part 61 is nonexistent by comparison. All out of pocket.

Two years minimum to regionals sounds exactly right to me though. I wa thinking more like 2-4 years. I think it's time I start contacting financial aid offices and see what kind of finacial aid packages are available. There may very well be not enough, in that case I'll just resume my part 61.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 3, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is there anywhere I can find charts for cost per flight hour of common fixed/rotary wing aircraft?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
If you already have a degree, have you considered the military route?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Slaughter posted:

If you already have a degree, have you considered the military route?

By military route you mean what exactly? I don't think there's any chance in hell I could get into a pilot slot but I am taking a look at this post-9/11 GI bill for enlistees. It seems to be eligible to pay for flight training as long as you already have a ppl. Maybe that way can do my private cert now and complete commercial flight training later for free. If that path means no loans, that might not be so bad providing it was only a couple of years refueling jets or something in the chair force. I think I'll probably end up chopping onions and cleaning latrines on the uss obama or something, that's why I haven't joined before

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 4, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ethanol posted:

By military route you mean what exactly? I don't think there's any chance in hell I could get into a pilot slot but I am taking a look at this post-9/11 GI bill for enlistees. It seems to be eligible to pay for flight training as long as you already have a ppl. Maybe that way can do my private cert now and complete commercial flight training later for free. If that path means no loans, that might not be so bad providing it was only a couple of years refueling jets or something in the chair force.

I can't mention this often enough.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrYenko posted:

I can't mention this often enough.

God that would be fun.

Can't imagine being a demi-officer though - That would blow I would think

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

ethanol posted:

Please, let's not get into the dreamcrushing. I am seeking funding for flight training not asking if I should follow my dreams or get a second degree for the hell of it. I can afford to get my ppl and am currently doing so. Obviously I have put way, way more thought into it than 'a few hours of this is fun'. Let's leave that at that.

Now I know it is confusing but all my reasoning for halting paying the local part 61 school for now... is that a short degree program may be cheaper than paying for straight part 61 flight training because of the unique way student financing works in the US these days. that's the point of a asking you guys these questions. I don't want to appear smug but this preliminary cost number ($75,000) for flight training AND a two year degree is still less than half the cost of my bachelors degree and I managed to pay for that that and only came out with 17 k in debt. Add grants and federal loans, that 75k becomes very doable. Funding for school can come in the oddest ways. Funding for a non academic part 61 is nonexistent by comparison. All out of pocket.

Two years minimum to regionals sounds exactly right to me though. I wa thinking more like 2-4 years. I think it's time I start contacting financial aid offices and see what kind of finacial aid packages are available. There may very well be not enough, in that case I'll just resume my part 61.

more debt for the debt god

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

ethanol posted:

By military route you mean what exactly? I don't think there's any chance in hell I could get into a pilot slot

Not with that attitude. Why not?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

God that would be fun.

Can't imagine being a demi-officer though - That would blow I would think

I have a friend that took a commission out of college, and went into fling wing aviation. She flew for a little bit, but almost immediately got promoted to a "leadership building position" (desk.) Her entire second tour in Iraq, she just barely managed to stay current, and ended up getting out with a quarter the hours of a WO with the same time in service.

If you just want to fly, there ain't too many better choices than as a WO in the Army.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've never heard of this before.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

xaarman posted:

Not with that attitude. Why not?

I mean yeah it's hard to have a good attitude towards getting a pilot slot when your GPA is trash and you've spent the last three years since graduation doing nothing of importance and have basically no recommendations.

So go in massive private debt (probably npt happening) or join the military for the gi bill or find a way to make more money in a year than I ever have before to pay for part 61. gently caress. That's pretty much all I can say right now.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 4, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Being a pilot is never a wise financial decision. The expense is something you put up with to have the best office in the world.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Since when is the quality inn in Detroit or the crew room at some lovely hub airport the best office? Please don't feed the idealists.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Slaughter posted:

Since when is the quality inn in Detroit or the crew room at some lovely hub airport the best office? Please don't feed the idealists.

In my defense, a lack of idealism leads to a lack of achievement

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Its not all doom and gloom though, and if you are already so digruntled then I am afraid you are gonna be one of those guys no one wants to fly with, who just bitch and moan about the industry and their commute. I am happy being a regional pilot for the past three years. The trick is that I love love love to travel. I did the math for last year and I got about $70,000 out of plane tickets flying around the world on my free time. Mostly business class. South Korea twice, Morocco, Belgium twice, Holland, France, Panama, Dominican Republic, Spain twice, Puerto Rico like 7 times, New York City around 5 times, and other stuff I can't remember. Thats all within 12 months, on my days off. This would have been impossible with a normal desk job. So I am living the dream even though I made $48,000 in gross pay. But the way I see it, I made over $100,000. I don't commute, I don't have a family, and I don't give a poo poo about buying crap like cars or flat screen TV's. My expenses go to eating out, medical stuff, travel expenses, and camera gear. So if I had an office job that paid $100,000 I would have blown most of it travelling anyways, except I would have had much less time to do it.

If you are doing this to fly cool planes and don't give a poo poo about travelling, you are gonna end up hating it very soon because the novelty will wear off. About 80% of the people I fly with don't care about travelling. Another 50% has never even left the USA outside of going to Canada or Mexico for work trips. The only people who I fly with who are happy are the world travelers.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Animal posted:

Its not all doom and gloom though, and if you are already so digruntled then I am afraid you are gonna be one of those guys no one wants to fly with, who just bitch and moan about the industry and their commute. I am happy being a regional pilot for the past three years. The trick is that I love love love to travel. I did the math for last year and I got about $70,000 out of plane tickets flying around the world on my free time. Mostly business class. South Korea twice, Morocco, Belgium twice, Holland, France, Panama, Dominican Republic, Spain twice, Puerto Rico like 7 times, New York City around 5 times, and other stuff I can't remember. Thats all within 12 months, on my days off. This would have been impossible with a normal desk job. So I am living the dream even though I made $48,000 in gross pay. But the way I see it, I made over $100,000. I don't commute, I don't have a family, and I don't give a poo poo about buying crap like cars or flat screen TV's. My expenses go to eating out, medical stuff, travel expenses, and camera gear. So if I had an office job that paid $100,000 I would have blown most of it travelling anyways, except I would have had much less time to do it.

If you are doing this to fly cool planes and don't give a poo poo about travelling, you are gonna end up hating it very soon because the novelty will wear off. About 80% of the people I fly with don't care about travelling. Another 50% has never even left the USA outside of going to Canada or Mexico for work trips. The only people who I fly with who are happy are the world travelers.

Well that still sounds awesome to me.. I'm only disgruntled by my lack of funding

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 4, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ethanol posted:

Well that still sounds awesome to me.. I'm only disgruntled by my lack of funding

Sorry I meant The Slaughter, I forgot to quote.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Slaughters actually a neat guy. I think he's just doing his fair share to help discourage the idealists. It helps keep the people who actually want to fly razor sharp in their focus

IF YOU THINK FLIGHT TRAINING IS EXPENSIVE, try actually being a pilot. You never stop blowing money.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to actually fly things in the military, the Army WO flight program is it; I have a couple friends who did it. All you do is fly. You aren't in charge of anything, you just fly.

Anywhere else as a commissioned officer, you split flying with leadership and being a manager of people, which is rewarding too, but it means you aren't flying all the time. Eventually it'll get to the point where you aren't flying at all.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

overdesigned posted:

If you want to actually fly things in the military, the Army WO flight program is it; I have a couple friends who did it. All you do is fly. You aren't in charge of anything, you just fly.

Anywhere else as a commissioned officer, you split flying with leadership and being a manager of people, which is rewarding too, but it means you aren't flying all the time. Eventually it'll get to the point where you aren't flying at all.

I'm glad this has come up because its something I have been considering lately. I want to get money for schooling and having a military background will help get into the majors. Plus I figure with how long the upgrade time is in my airline, I may as well be spending that time in military training and just continue accruing seniority in the meantime. The problem is I am 32 1/2 years old and the cutoff age is 33. Also I don't know if they will be thrilled about me being an airline pilot, if anything they may see it as a liability. I hope my other jobs will help though, air ambulance pilot (pretty much bush pilot). I am looking at that website about warrant officers, but any other info would be appreciated. I currently live in the state of Michigan, is there any other state's National Guard that has a better chance for going in and landing a flying gig?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Commissioned military pilot here. I can answer whatever questions you got. I went through the navy's flight school program (I'm a marine). The WO program I'm sure is great but I love the poo poo out of my job and so does everyone I work with.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Bob A Feet posted:

Commissioned military pilot here. I can answer whatever questions you got. I went through the navy's flight school program (I'm a marine). The WO program I'm sure is great but I love the poo poo out of my job and so does everyone I work with.

Post your rank.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I really want to hear more about the WO program, personally. I had never heard of it and it sounds interesting. I already aged out for Navy pilot school.

What are the odds of getting in and actually becoming a pilot? If I understand correctly, the obligation would be 6 years of service. What is actually involved with getting in, and what is the training and duty like?

The army's documentation of the program kind of sucks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

let's all apply to the wo program at the same time and make it a goon club

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay but I'm going in higher than everybody else cause I've got a CFI and a (almost) PHD!

Edit:spelling

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
There's a few active duty military pilot goons around (almost all Navy/Marine and AF). Bob a feet I gather you're still pretty newly winged, congrats! Myself and a few others have been around the block a few more times if there's any questions also.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

and a (almost) PHD!

What field?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Captain Apollo posted:

Post your rank.

1stLt. Definitely not the voice of experience in much but I can definitely confirm the comment that you do much more than fly. (And most of it is behind a desk)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The question is 10 years down the line when you're a major how much flying will you do? 10 years down the line an airline pilot is going to be doing more flying if anything, right?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I got out of the Air Force after 10 years, I'm still toying with the idea of doing WO in the guard to finish up 10 more years and get a pension.

Will have to see what the pilot job market is like once I graduate and get the rest of my ratings.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I'm going to regret interrupting this circlejerk, but...

Just loving apply for a UPT slot at a guard unit. In the ANG your only job is to fly, you don't have your entire life run by the military, and you basically get a part time job in a flying club flying super expensive poo poo either flying all over the world doing legit cool poo poo (heavies), flying fast high performance jets (fighters), or doing low level badass poo poo saving lives (helos). You also spend a lot of time around super experienced guys who are most likely in the airlines and will sponsor your dumb rear end to a major with like 15 internal recommendations to FedEx or Delta or whatever. And it costs drat near nothing. You submit a package to a unit when they accept applications, you meet a board, and they select you. You then go to one of two of the best pilot training programs in the entire world flying multimillion dollar aircraft, and then eventually go to your unit where you spend 1 or 2 years full time with the all the insane benefits that come with the military.

But, no, totally just take on like 100k of debt on an irreversible decision and spend your entire adult life paying it off with the standard of living of a crackhead in The Wire just because apply for loans is easy, and pushups are hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rekinom posted:

I'm going to regret interrupting this circlejerk, but...

Just loving apply for a UPT slot at a guard unit. In the ANG your only job is to fly, you don't have your entire life run by the military, and you basically get a part time job in a flying club flying super expensive poo poo either flying all over the world doing legit cool poo poo (heavies), flying fast high performance jets (fighters), or doing low level badass poo poo saving lives (helos). You also spend a lot of time around super experienced guys who are most likely in the airlines and will sponsor your dumb rear end to a major with like 15 internal recommendations to FedEx or Delta or whatever. And it costs drat near nothing. You submit a package to a unit when they accept applications, you meet a board, and they select you. You then go to one of two of the best pilot training programs in the entire world flying multimillion dollar aircraft, and then eventually go to your unit where you spend 1 or 2 years full time with the all the insane benefits that come with the military.

But, no, totally just take on like 100k of debt on an irreversible decision and spend your entire adult life paying it off with the standard of living of a crackhead in The Wire just because apply for loans is easy, and pushups are hard.

You make it sound like a sure thing, which is pretty far from the truth. According to this guy, for example, only 10% of applicants will even make it to the first interview: http://www.wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/ANGPilotSlot/tabid/63/Default.aspx

It's also apparently extremely advantageous to come in with flight experience already, which cuts into your training value proposition significantly.

All that said, it is definitely something to consider (and another of these paths to flight I had never heard of until recently in this thread). Unfortunately, like naval pilot school, I'm aged out for UPT.

• Locked thread