Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

theultimo posted:

OMG the world is over, how to you break the hypervisor on a SGB to break an snes??!
The Super Game Boy fully supports taking over the SNES and running SNES code off a GB cart. Space Invaders used this to include a native SNES version of the game on the GB cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
That knitting girl reminded me of something...

http://youtu.be/K3nb8OiITN8

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
My stream shat out for the majority of the TAS block, what exactly happened that was so nuts?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm still in disbelief over what just happened.

Whatever they did to get all that to work, that's incredible.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

totempoleman posted:

My stream shat out for the majority of the TAS block, what exactly happened that was so nuts?

Smb 1 in smw

Pokémon plays twitch

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

totempoleman posted:

They got SMW to play a slightly graphically glitchly SMB1.

They turned Pokemon Red into Pokemon Plays Twitch, feeding twitch chat directly into the controller ports and displaying it live, emotes and all.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

totempoleman posted:

Pokemon Red plays Twitch by using a laptop to stream the chat as controller inputs for TASbot to perform (emoticons included)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

totempoleman posted:

They got Twitch chat to work through a SNES.

Specifically they got the chat to work through a Super Gameboy playing Pokemon Red. Which makes it Pokemon Plays Twitch.

efb

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

BMB5150 posted:

This and also throwing a whole ROM hack that is SMB and throw it into SMW. TAS'ers should just find more arbitrary code execution things just to make the wackiest things possible.

I just wish someone like AndrewG1990 were there to see how complete the "port" was. SMB any% takes like 5 minutes.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

totempoleman posted:

They got twitch chat on the super Gameboy emulator.

I somehow got banned for saying "That was fun to watch"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

totempoleman posted:

Pokemon Red to connect to the twitch chat stream and start rendering it on the TV, complete with emotes.

And SMW turned into SMB.

E: F,b. I am ashamed.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

TAS is the poo poo

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I sort of get how they were feeding Twitch chat to the SNES but I really don't know how the hell they got the faces in there. That was wizardry.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the only possible way that Twitchchat could have been any better is if they'd rigged a Bandai Satelliview to stream the chat instead of the controller ports.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
That guy's posture is too much.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I need a cig break or two after that. Jesus christ.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why is there so much dead air this year. it's really disconcerting to only have the announcer make noise for like 5 minutes at a time

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Equilibrium posted:

I sort of get how they were feeding Twitch chat to the SNES but I really don't know how the hell they got the faces in there. That was crazy.

Same way the twitch chat program does it. Receives the raw chat, converts it to a preprogrammed 8bit icon.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Equilibrium posted:

I sort of get how they were feeding Twitch chat to the SNES but I really don't know how the hell they got the faces in there. That was crazy.

Probably in a similar way as regular twitch chat/irc does it, but they had the keywords mapped to a sprite instead of a png

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why are they not just non-stop reading donations to fill air

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

snodig posted:

That knitting girl reminded me of something...

http://youtu.be/K3nb8OiITN8
PROTIP: Knit girl is the person in charge of creating the current NO FUN ALLOWED rules of AGDQ15 after her unfair treatment in that video!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

Pokemon plays Twitch :vince:

It's over folks, it cannot get any better this year

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I really lowered my expectations after that Mario Kart race but that was amazing.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
That was ridiculous

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Equilibrium posted:

I sort of get how they were feeding Twitch chat to the SNES but I really don't know how the hell they got the faces in there. That was wizardry.
When they were piping their "takeover" code over the controller cables, they also piped over a small amount (probably 4kb or less) of graphics data for the font and fake chat bar. The emotes were probably just part of the font.

Same way they piped all the SMB1 tiles into SMW for their other Robot Party Trick.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why is there so much dead air this year. it's really disconcerting to only have the announcer make noise for like 5 minutes at a time

not even the prophet YSG can save 100% racing collect-a-thons

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
tas bot is the best and it's pretty much saved day 1 :D

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

dj_de posted:

PROTIP: Knit girl is the person in charge of creating the current NO FUN ALLOWED rules of AGDQ15 after her unfair treatment in that video!

seriously? yeesh.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dj_de posted:

different knitting girl.

Also, ownage lateral lisp.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

dj_de posted:

That's just 4chan poo poo. The rules for the main room are the same as before.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Game Audio, who needs it?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Making SMW into SMB1 is also impressive. I hope they make SOTN into CV1 some time.

As i recall smb in smw was the plan last year but ran out of time, pong/snake was the backup plan.

I'd love to see a total control of psx games happen, but I dunno if the emulators are accurate enough. I'm surprised n64 tasbot scripts work as it is since that system is still poorly emulated.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i for one played transistor without the game audio because it enhances the experience

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Transistor is a pretty fun game but it is really dull watch to speedrun, lots of battle skips and OoB sections. I messed around with it for about a week and got to ~45 minutes, but it was just so drab and uninteresting to skip all the combat.

edit: Huh, he didn't even try to skip that lady fight. You can skip it completely if you go around the edge and cut back in.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 5, 2015

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Nativity In Black posted:

I just wish someone like AndrewG1990 were there to see how complete the "port" was. SMB any% takes like 5 minutes.

From what I take, it's a ROM hack someone created and just brought all that data over but yeah wish there was a runner in the room. I wonder what would happen if you opened the save file after that TAS as they had to keep deleting it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Nativity In Black posted:

They'd be limited by the SNES's memory, which looking it up is 128KB, and I want to say that SMB1 is 32KB so I'm sure it was the whole thing. They mentioned wanting somebody to try running it at some point.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Is there anything good to watch between now and early morning tomorrow(like Crazy Taxi)?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Guys keep it down, need to hear this music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Let's listen to Transistor's amazing soundtrack for a moment.

• Locked thread