Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Couldn't you just manually input the offensive buffs in that case? I mean I never use the manual option either because I'm lazy and the game hasn't gotten hard yet. But that seems like it might be an option.

You can't control ai characters, or at least I can't see a way. I also don't want to have Hope be the party leader as he dies to a stiff breeze. I already lost one battle as the ai decided to case death on my party leader. poo poo like that undermines the battle system.

I have no idea why the battle ends if your leader dies but it make some enemies obnoxious and is a lovely mechanic. FF13 may have well balanced fights, but it has its flaws as do the other systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So is Academia 400AF some sort of ironic monkey paw wish for all the people who said that FF13 was too straightforward and linear?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fister Roboto posted:

So is Academia 400AF some sort of ironic monkey paw wish for all the people who said that FF13 was too straightforward and linear?

Yes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still cannot believe how terrible Academia 400 AF is. The battles just never loving stop and you get absolutely nothing for any of them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MrAristocrates posted:

I still cannot believe how terrible Academia 400 AF is. The battles just never loving stop and you get absolutely nothing for any of them.

Oh man I can't wait to get started on XIII-2. I've just got like a billion hours of XIII to wade through. On that subject, I beat the old man-facemonster mode. Everyone I talked to on steam was like "oh man that's a super hard fight, you're going to get wrecked" and I beat him super fast.

Any word on when lightning returns hits steam? If ever?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Academia 400AF seems to exist as punishment to the world for wanting to play that game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GOD

DAMMIT

WHY

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nuebot posted:

Oh man I can't wait to get started on XIII-2. I've just got like a billion hours of XIII to wade through. On that subject, I beat the old man-facemonster mode. Everyone I talked to on steam was like "oh man that's a super hard fight, you're going to get wrecked" and I beat him super fast.
Which chapter, most are talking about his chapter 11 form.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fister Roboto posted:

GOD

DAMMIT

WHY

It never gets old.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fister Roboto posted:

GOD

DAMMIT

WHY

I feel I've missed a reference, here

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

GOD

DAMMIT

WHY

it's the best thing about 13-2

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ciaphas posted:

I feel I've missed a reference, here

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I might say Academia 400 AF might be the worst scenario in any Final Fantasy. Dull setting, horrible encounter rate, and no rewards.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Meet frocobo

:negative:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That reveal and its side-quest is the only bad thing of what would otherwise be a completely ballah DLC.

Just ignore it and go back to playing Chronobind.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Don't recognize that game so I'm still not with you :confused:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Anyone want to work for Square Enix in Tokyo? According to FFXV Lead Designer Wan Hazmer, they're hiring people, including foreigners: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gfa6viKO04WTJxTnNZVmtUVnM/view

For those curious, Business Divisions are basically a reboot of the Product Development Division system Square-Enix Japan used a long time ago. In 2007, the ten Product Development Divisions were disbanded due to the consolidation of resources around tentpole titles. The various Final Fantasy teams and the Kingdom Hearts teams were placed under the title of 1st Production Department. They made games on a project by project basis rather that working on specific franchises and sub-franchises.

However, this system was abandoned during the company-wide restructuring in 2013. Now, they have Business Divisions that are more reminiscent of the original Product Development Division. For example, Yoshinori Kitase heads Business Division #1 and works with the core FFXIII trilogy team on his projects. In this job listing, Business Division #2 is the one headed by Hajime Tabata. It handles Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't believe websites thought FF15 was coming out this year.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sunning posted:

Anyone want to work for Square Enix in Tokyo? According to FFXV Lead Designer Wan Hazmer, they're hiring people, including foreigners: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gfa6viKO04WTJxTnNZVmtUVnM/view

For those curious, Business Divisions are basically a reboot of the Product Development Division system Square-Enix Japan used a long time ago. In 2007, the ten Product Development Divisions were disbanded due to the consolidation of resources around tentpole titles. The various Final Fantasy teams and the Kingdom Hearts teams were placed under the title of 1st Production Department. They made games on a project by project basis rather that working on specific franchises and sub-franchises.

However, this system was abandoned during the company-wide restructuring in 2013. Now, they have Business Divisions that are more reminiscent of the original Product Development Division. For example, Yoshinori Kitase heads Business Division #1 and works with the core FFXIII trilogy team on his projects. In this job listing, Business Division #2 is the one headed by Hajime Tabata. It handles Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.

I wish I had the technical knowledge to do this. Honestly I'd jump in it in a heartbeat.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

posting to say that I'm almost finished with the FF2 remake and everyone saying it sucks is the wrongest of the wrong, this game fukkin owns.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Don't recognize that game so I'm still not with you :confused:
She's from from XIII. You might not recognize her, but she lived in an afro when she was little.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 5, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

posting to say that I'm almost finished with the FF2 remake and everyone saying it sucks is the wrongest of the wrong, this game fukkin owns.

i thought the remakes were pretty alright, it's the originals that are lovely and broken

I mean, i'm a ways away from saying it owns but I don't mind playing it if i'm in the mood

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Sunning posted:

I'm curious and a little frightened to inquire as to what constitutes a "Game Designer" that requires no skills save for "high endurance and strong will to complete the job." It mentioned mass production work for battles and levels, but I am a plebeian who knows not the meaning of such an arrangement of words.

Really though I think I should apply for Producer. That sounds like the perfect job for a man of my skills and illustrious list of achievements.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I picked FF6 Beyond Chaos back up after getting back from the holidays.
I had been stuck at the Cave of the Sealed gate. There was a group of monsters that seemed disproportionally powerful for this level of the game. A skeleton thing that did a mass 1,000+ damage physical attack every round and those wheel demon things each with over 10,000 HP. Oh and the battles are inescapable, even with smoke bombs. I shamefully leveled up a bit so I could teach everyone Quarter to deal with the wheel demons huge HP and I used Phantoms mass invisibility to avoid the Skeleton things physical attacks.

Always steal from everything! I found these great monsters when teaching everyone Quartr. With Virals natural Capture ability I can give him the Genji Glove and he now gets Double Steal :dance: These critters have Darts which (in addition to being excellent weapons for Viral) sell for 6000GP each :10bux:

Something annoying to look out for. Shopkeepers are randomly sexist, be sure to use both a male and female party member at every shopkeeper as the prices can be quite different :psyduck:

The randomizer makes the cave kind of psychedelic :catdrugs:

Strago and Shadow. R. Bless is interesting, gives Quick, elemental immunities, full party Haste, etc. Quite handy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Rutibex posted:

Something annoying to look out for. Shopkeepers are randomly sexist, be sure to use both a male and female party member at every shopkeeper as the prices can be quite different :psyduck:

I assume gender is based on the original character, and not the sprite/name you end up with? Since I'm pretty sure both Setzer and Umaro are dudes.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Choco-boco-lina is the best. She's hilarious and wacky. I just wish she was playable. And she had more clothes and not those stubby wing hands.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

Choco-boco-lina is the best. She's hilarious and wacky. I just wish she was playable. And she had more clothes and not those stubby wing hands.

Well she was blessed by Etro, the goddess of Death and gently caress-ups. So that was to be expected.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rutibex posted:

That's incredible. Are you sure it's broken along gender lines and not by character? I know the prices seemed random as hell to me...

(also I found a mob that had rare steal Genji Armor by accident, eat poo poo WoB)
(also also I hate the new Fanatic's Tower, but it's worth it to double up on Ragnarok)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Andrew_1985 posted:

Every time I see her I think of Lucille Bluth doing the chicken dance.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So this game just did literally the same thing FFX did. That is to say shat you out into a big rear end field and said "oh hey, side quests by the by" and then just shrugs and lets you continue on with the game. Can't be any worse than chocobo racing though.

Also I still hate hope. I think the game agrees with this because he was bitching so hard a robot flew out of his rear end to kill him. What does Alexander even turn into? Looks like a wall.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Fister Roboto posted:

Every time I see her I think of Lucille Bluth doing the chicken dance.

A-coodle-doodle-doo! A-coodle-doodle-doo!

Nuebot posted:

Also I still hate Hope.

Hope is such a little turd. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because of his dead Mom but he doesn't make it easy. I also kind of hate the way his nose looks.

I like that Vanille and Fang have Australian VA, though. It's an accent that I don't hear often in the US and I think it helps separate them from the Coccoon-born cast.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Hope makes up for it by being 100% ready to stab Snow in the face.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No, it actually makes him worse for killing the one guy actually doing anything including saving his life.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Tae posted:

No, it actually makes him worse for killing the one guy actually doing anything including saving his life.

This. Snow was bad but he tried to do right. Hope was horrible in XIII but became a chill guy in XIII-2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
-Youngest and smallest of the group
-Fights with an unconventional long-range weapon
-Specializes in offensive and healing magic
-Hates a guy wearing a beanie and coat because they killed their mom
-Said guy saves their life, eventually leading to forgiveness
-Summon is a giant robot
-Has a future game where they become considerably taller and are no longer nearly as annoying
-Has a role model who encourages them to be better (Lightning/Akihiko)

...Hope is literally Ken Amada from Persona 3.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Hope makes a hell of a lot more sense once you realize he's like, 12, and FFXIII takes place over the course of literally a loving week. I'd be an rear end in a top hat about it too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Except he constantly talks, and talks, and talks, about how killing is wrong, don't kill, the real enemy is the army, killing Snow won't bring back mommy, blah blah blah

If he didn't drill in that hypocritical talk for like 4-5 straight chapters, he would have some excuse. But no, he's just a badly written shithead. The only problem is that most non-japanese hate the shounen arch-type hero.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Schwartzcough posted:

I assume gender is based on the original character, and not the sprite/name you end up with? Since I'm pretty sure both Setzer and Umaro are dudes.

Yeah Umaro is Terra; which is hilarious in cut scenes :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Except he constantly talks, and talks, and talks, about how killing is wrong, don't kill, the real enemy is the army, killing Snow won't bring back mommy, blah blah blah

If he didn't drill in that hypocritical talk for like 4-5 straight chapters, he would have some excuse. But no, he's just a badly written shithead. The only problem is that most non-japanese hate the shounen arch-type hero.
hope isn't anything like the shounen archetype hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

hope isn't anything like the shounen archetype hero

I'm talking about Snow. If there was a person dedicated to killing Luffy on his crew, a majority would ironically welcome it because (the thread's discussed this before), a super positive hero is extremely rare outside of Japanese games.