Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dieting Hippo posted:

dr. mario owns and that list is for terrible people

Counterpoint: Ness is high tier so that list is for awesome people.

So sometimes when I'm playing For Glory and I'm waiting for a match someone will join, sit there for like ten seconds, then leave. This happens multiple times so normally I just quit out and join someone elses game. Does this happen to anyone else? It's not like I'm a recognizable smash pro that people would want to avoid.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just play free for alls then, I'm a lot better than my group is but I still only win maybe 25% of the time out of 5 people because that's kind of what happens in a free for all with them, even when no items are on.

I dunno about that. We had one guy who someone brought over once who just destroyed everyone, even in a 4 player free for all. I guess he's probably an extreme example, but I just feel that in general if someone's really good and doesn't play down that it sort of becomes unfun for people.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
We do ffas frequently on breaks at work since we have a lot of people who wanna play smash together. If you just hang out on a stage edge (big battlefield is probably the best for it) while everyone's fighting each other that's a guaranteed albeit cheesy way to isolate the fight to one other person that wants to go for you, unless everyone else figures out what you're doing and gangs up on you. It works!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

shortspecialbus posted:

I dunno about that. We had one guy who someone brought over once who just destroyed everyone, even in a 4 player free for all. I guess he's probably an extreme example, but I just feel that in general if someone's really good and doesn't play down that it sort of becomes unfun for people.
On the other hand, it's really really unfun to be the guy who's better and sandbag the whole time so other people don't get pissy about losing.

However, smash has rules settings for a reason: you can always do a 2v1 or 3v1, or turn on damage handicaps and crank it up to 50%+.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

On the other hand, it's really really unfun to be the guy who's better and sandbag the whole time so other people don't get pissy about losing.

However, smash has rules settings for a reason: you can always do a 2v1 or 3v1, or turn on damage handicaps and crank it up to 50%+.

Damage handicaps are probably the way to go. Our group's solution was generally just to only play a little bit outside of playing with each other so that nobody got to crazy levels of good. This came from experience with Tekken-type games where it was a lot bigger deal if someone got good. Smash doesn't really have that issue, but I guess we were forever soured to that sort of thing. You're probably right though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PneumonicBook posted:

Counterpoint: Ness is high tier so that list is for awesome people.

So sometimes when I'm playing For Glory and I'm waiting for a match someone will join, sit there for like ten seconds, then leave. This happens multiple times so normally I just quit out and join someone elses game. Does this happen to anyone else? It's not like I'm a recognizable smash pro that people would want to avoid.

That might just be network fuckery, like someone tried to connect and your game tried to let them in but something stopped the attempt and then booted the other party out.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

That might just be network fuckery, like someone tried to connect and your game tried to let them in but something stopped the attempt and then booted the other party out.

It does sound like NAT issues, or like the person just decided they were done playing a bit late.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

google I just wanted to see what my punish options were against lil mac

google no

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You try getting that suit off in an emergency.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I did a dumb and didn't sign into Club Nintendo before I bought my Smash 3ds. The internet is filled with people saying that customer support linked the purchases to their account painlessly, but the guy I just talked to from CS Nintendo Australia didn't think it was possible with their tools. Am I screwed? If I call Nintendo of Europe/America, would they be able to do it for me?

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 5, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Ometeotl posted:

She's an astronaut, sort of. She probably just has tubes for that kind of thing.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Gentleman Baller posted:

I did a dumb and didn't sign into Club Nintendo before I bought my Smash 3ds. The internet is filled with people saying that customer support linked the purchases to their account painlessly, but the guy I just talked to from CS Nintendo Australia didn't think it was possible with their tools. Am I screwed? If I call Nintendo of Europe/America, would they be able to do it for me?

I dunno about Nintendo of Australia, but when I tried it for Nintendo of America, the first guy told me it was not possible, then I called again and the second guy said it was not possible, then I gave him links to people talking about doing it online, and he went and "checked some support documents" and when he came back was able to do it for me.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

IronicDongz posted:

google no

You can punish lil mac dash attacks with downtilt (into fair or up air depending on spacing, best damage), down smash (best knockback, will probably lead to a kill close to the edge), or ftilt (but why would you).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Just a tip if you slave farm amiibos for custom moves and you do an 8-man and fill it out with random computers, don't. Pick those computer players. All my amiibos are dead and Pit and Dark Pit are currently durdling around the level having some sort of "who can jump the most without attacking" competition. I think they've lost three stock between the two of them in the past 30 minutes.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

IronicDongz posted:

google no

Tether grabs are magical against mac. Samus's downsmash is still as good as it's always been. If you're playing uber defensive just let him walk into dtilt.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ometeotl posted:

She got it off pretty quickly using her final smash in Brawl :colbert:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

seiferguy posted:

She got it off pretty quickly using her final smash in Brawl :colbert:

A latex suit isn't much better...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Speaking of amiibos, I'm trying to train my Wii Fit Trainer to not suck. Anyone have any tips for fighting as Wii Fit Trainer so that I can teach it not to suck by mirror battling it? I'm terrible with her and don't want to encourage bad habits because I want this particular amiibo to kick rear end.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Just a tip if you slave farm amiibos for custom moves
Does that actually work? I ran 3 Amiibos in a 99 stock game with only Master Balls to try and get CDs, and they didn't pick up any. I saw one spawn but nobody grabbed it. And I didn't see any of the custom item bags, either.

What kind of settings do you use to make this work? I've got a pile of Amiibos, and I'd be fine letting them level each other up while collecting stuff.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

Does that actually work? I ran 3 Amiibos in a 99 stock game with only Master Balls to try and get CDs, and they didn't pick up any. I saw one spawn but nobody grabbed it. And I didn't see any of the custom item bags, either.

What kind of settings do you use to make this work? I've got a pile of Amiibos, and I'd be fine letting them level each other up while collecting stuff.

At one point for fun I set up an 8 player match, 15 stock, with 8 amiibos. I saved them all when it was done, and did a couple more. Then when I went back to the amiibo screen and scanned them in, each one had a ton of items for me to add to my collection. Try that.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

TVs Ian posted:

You have to teach them to pick up master balls and CDs, but you don't have to teach them anything to farm moves. You just let them fight for a really long time, then go to the Amiibo option (I forget which screen this is on, Games and More?) and scan them, and they will have a bunch of presents for you including custom moves.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CD's and stuff picked up by amiibo's don't actually give you anything btw. I've had mine grab CD's and it doesn't count for anything. Same with trophies as I saw one pick up a trophy I certainly didn't have and when I scanned it for prizes nothing new was there and my gallery had the most recent being one I bought from the shop.

What you want to do is set it to a timer match with 4 players. 3 amiibos are suggested. Put only master balls on and go to a final destination stage. When you hear "mew" pick up the controller and go and grab it yourself because amiibo's will only pick that stuff up on accident.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Zelda is amazingly fun to play as, I just had a really successful night on For Glory 1v1. I guess I can write up a small effort post detailing some of the better strategies and moves I've discovered for those interested.

First off, her Up+B Farore's Wind is the greatest tool in her entire arsenal, being a great recovery, good spacing tool, and her best kill move. If you play as Zelda, you have to learn how to control her teleports without becoming predictable. She can travel about halfway across the stage with it, but if you're on the ground while using it you can angle your stick diagonally downwards to shorten the distance, and even hold it straight down to teleport in place which is nice for getting a lot of KOs. If you hold down while in the air, she'll reappear diagonally depending on which way she is facing if she's not high enough to go straight to the platform. It has two different hitboxes, one when you first use the attack that does small damage but knocks the opponent high into the air, and one when she reappears that does decent damage but has insane knockback. I've KO'd a Kirby at around 35%, and a Mario at around 65%.

Her Side+B Din's Fire is a good spacer, and I've found it useful for peppering characters who spam projectiles since it goes past all of them. Faster characters can outrun it, but it's still a nice move to use to force your opponent to move where you want them to be. It also does good damage and has decent knockback, even getting KOs if the opponent is damaged enough.

Neutral B Nayru's Love is not only a good move to reflect projectiles, but it's also a quick and moderately damaging attack to use when the opponent rushes in close. The range on it is larger than it appears, and if you catch someone in it at the start it will draw them in for the remaining hits and then knock them back a short ways, giving you more breathing room.

Down+B I've yet to find a good use for and is easily her worst move, but it can catch people off guard. I have noticed that it can go offstage, so you can use it to hinder recoveries if you time it right. The fully charged Phantom hits forward and then up, and is good for catching people trying to jump over it or who only shield the first hit and does good damage. The biggest problems with it are the range (they can't be too close or it goes right past them) and the fact that it leaves you completely open for far too long.

Her aerials are good for the most part, Foward has a sweetspot that deals massive damage and knockback, Back has the same sweetspot but comes out faster, and Up is really difficult to hit with due to how long it takes to actually hit but also has huge damage and knockback. Down is a meteor smash but I haven't used it much so I don't have much to say one way or the other. Neutral is a safe, multihitting move that isn't too hard to combo from her Down-Throw at low percents.

Her Jab isn't the fastest but it has some range and power to it, I haven't used her tilts very much except for her Down Tilt, which you can combo into itself for a few hits and has better range than most of her other moves. Forward Smash is a decently quick multihit move that has the most damage and knockback on the last hit, but sometimes the opponent will get out of the way before the last hit connects. Up Smash is similar. Down Smash is very fast and has decent horizontal knockback but poor range. It's a very good move to punish Dodge Rolls though. Her Throws are all average, and she lacks a lot of combo options, but her Up Throw can be comboed into her Up B at high-ish percents (around 100% on Mario) for an easy KO off the top of the stage.

When playing as Zelda, keep your distance and apply pressure with Side+B, use Neutral B to punish dashers and reflect projectiles, and use Up+B to pile the damage on and to keep yourself out of trouble. Once you get good at controlling your teleports, you'll be surprised at how easy it is to catch people off guard and nab easy KOs. If they catch on and start shielding whenever you teleport, stop teleporting into them and focus on distance and Throws until they leave themselves open.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

shortspecialbus posted:

Speaking of amiibos, I'm trying to train my Wii Fit Trainer to not suck. Anyone have any tips for fighting as Wii Fit Trainer so that I can teach it not to suck by mirror battling it? I'm terrible with her and don't want to encourage bad habits because I want this particular amiibo to kick rear end.

Okay I'm not the best in the world but here are some things;

One of the best things about WFT is her weird hitboxes. For a lot of her attacks her entire body essentially becomes a hitbox. use this to punish people; if someone lies rolling around you a lot, throw out an ftilt or downsmash, as they hit both sides of you.

sun Salutation is easy to fully charge, you can get a whole bunch out

When you're knocked far into the air, don't waste the time you've been given. Either deep breathe or charge a sun salutation

WFT is hard to use in the air, but is a great air fighter. Her fair has a nice diagonal hitbox that has a meteor, her nair does really good damage and can lead into a uair and her bair is a kill move when you can get it off. Also heading has a meteor if I recall

Her grabs make good space but don't really combo too well - however, her up throw is a kill move at 160%. Try not using throws the entire match, clown on your opponent up to that damae and then throw them up. They won't expect it at all.

Heading is a GREAT move for shutting people down. When you get some distance, learn how the ball bounces and you're controlling the match.

Deep breathe when opponent is around 80%

Praise the sun

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Also with good timing, you can master her down special without her even being onscreen. If you're sneaky enough, you can even use it while trying to recover. He back air comes out quick, low, and powerfully so you can often surprise a lot of people. Her side-b can kill at very high percentages, and is really easy to gimp characters with. Also her smash attacks aren't wonderful so you might want to bind your second analog stick to tilts instead. Also if you manage to bury opponents with your basic combo, never try to go for the down smash because it almost never hits, just go for the down tilt. It's more reliable and honestly I've never seen it miss after burying them.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Your opponent will take longer to get out of being buried the higher their percentage is, and I've found if they're reasonably high you can get them with a side smash. Her smash attacks are actually pretty good, however if you miss them there's a lot of wind-down so you will be punished for it.

And yeah, you can start and immediately cancel deep breathing in the air to avoid ground projectiles pretty well. Oh! Her air dodge is also amazing, the best in the game, zero start up, very quick, you can almost just mash it to be safe in the air.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I dinked around against level 7's for a while with her last night and did pretty well. One big thing I noticed is the hitboxes are definitely weird - in the air, I punched through people CONSTANTLY. It'd look like it should be a good hit but nope, I just go right through them. I didn't have nearly that much problem on the ground, and I found her f-tilt to be really good. I'm getting the hang of the header. Her final smash is really good if you don't accidentally point it the wrong way :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

shortspecialbus posted:

I dinked around against level 7's for a while with her last night and did pretty well. One big thing I noticed is the hitboxes are definitely weird - in the air, I punched through people CONSTANTLY. It'd look like it should be a good hit but nope, I just go right through them.

They're air-dodging. High-level AI air-dodges absolutely everything.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

RyokoTK posted:

They're air-dodging. High-level AI air-dodges absolutely everything.

One good thing about this is that it teaches you when it's practically impossible to air-dodge something, try playing Diddy and doing the down through into up air against a hard AI and it works every time if you execute it right.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Man, this is actually pretty difficult. I played Smash Bros casually on the N64 a lot back in the day, but I seem to have forgotten even the few things I knew from there. Doing a lot of mashing with little sense of tactics. Which is weird, as in normal fighters I am bad, but I actually feel like I understand better why I am bad in say SF4.

Any advice on how to pick up this game in a somewhat systematic way? What is the right place to start and what to actually try to learn?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i think a good way is to just learn what all your attacks and options are, and then watch people who are good play the game and figure out what they are doing, and then of course just play a lot with that in mind

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Shielding/Dodging is something I really need to start doing. I've never done it. Ever. The only times I ever shielded was when I hit the wrong button for grab.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Still on my quest to beat 9.0 without losing a life. I've tried DK, Ike, my main man R.O.B...but Bowser seems to be the character I perform best with, i.e. I can actually make it to Master Hand/Core.

I loaded up his defense as high as I can, figuring that speed doesn't matter to King Koopa anyway, and gave him a little attack power. However, I still get knocked out and I was wondering if adding more attack power would be better since Bowser's not really in much danger of being knocked out anyway? Do the defense boosts actually defend against being launched, or do they just lower the percentage you take?

I figure that since I've learned to read Master Hand/Core pretty well, actually killing them quicker will be the safest bet in the long run...until the acid in Master Fortress kills me. Bowser's jumps are so weak I can't avoid the acid sometimes...:(

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Still on my quest to beat 9.0 without losing a life. I've tried DK, Ike, my main man R.O.B...but Bowser seems to be the character I perform best with, i.e. I can actually make it to Master Hand/Core.

I loaded up his defense as high as I can, figuring that speed doesn't matter to King Koopa anyway, and gave him a little attack power. However, I still get knocked out and I was wondering if adding more attack power would be better since Bowser's not really in much danger of being knocked out anyway? Do the defense boosts actually defend against being launched, or do they just lower the percentage you take?

I figure that since I've learned to read Master Hand/Core pretty well, actually killing them quicker will be the safest bet in the long run...until the acid in Master Fortress kills me. Bowser's jumps are so weak I can't avoid the acid sometimes...:(

Bowser is probably my best and for what you're doing I'd think attack power to clear poo poo out as quick as possible will be the key. He's already strong as hell, but more won't hurt. Honestly speed may be the best thing if you can avoid tanking the rest of the stats.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mabels big day posted:

i think a good way is to just learn what all your attacks and options are, and then watch people who are good play the game and figure out what they are doing, and then of course just play a lot with that in mind

This is how I learned to follow people upwards with ZSS, up-air them, and then up+B them to finish the job.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

shortspecialbus posted:

Shielding/Dodging is something I really need to start doing. I've never done it. Ever. The only times I ever shielded was when I hit the wrong button for grab.

there's a rock-paper-scissors game within smash; shielding blocks attacks, grabs go through shields, and attacks go through grabs.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

there's a rock-paper-scissors game within smash; shielding blocks attacks, grabs go through shields, and attacks go through grabs.

I know, I've just never done it at all. I'm not terrible at smash, I think I got good at just kinda keeping away without doing it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Carl seems like he'd be a blast at parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not with those stink lines radiating off of him.

• Locked thread