Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not really sure why people somehow think it's up in the air about what their relationship is because it's pretty drat clear, especially with the ending pictures

Incoherence posted:

To be fair, a lot of Transistor's plot is intentionally vague. It's still very much worth playing for the atmosphere; a lot of it doesn't really come across as Vulajin rushes past it, but the Process slowly takes over more and more of the city as you play through.

i mostly meant that there's a bunch of neat stuff like the terminals and a hell of a lot of dialogue that was skipped over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

don't stop

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what's the worst possible run to be someone's first impression of a game, do you think? Amnesia seems to be the really easy choice

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
never stop everdraed

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

This everdraed guy sure likes attention.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

flatluigi posted:

what's the worst possible run to be someone's first impression of a game, do you think? Amnesia seems to be the really easy choice

Yeah, I think this would win, half the game looks like The Elder Scrolls Construction Set.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Every time they say "Something Artistic" I think they're saying "Something Autistic".

Egocentrism, I suppose.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
And now begins the first overnight section. I kinda wish they had a hall cam to show how empty that place is now full the hall is during the day.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

This guy offered to make a GDQ trailer, idiots if they don't take him up on it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This tomb raider glitch is fuckin sick

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lara Croft's Floating Gymnastics Adventures is pretty fun to see buuuuuut I'm not sure I can put up with a full 90 minutes of it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

gently caress

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
"So now I can run around all the puzzles" *does flips for speed for several minutes clipping out of the map*

This is just stupid.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ahead of schedule so far, hopefully it stays way and I may just get to see the one thing I actually want to see tonight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really like speed runs like this where the guy skips all the fights and content and just walks OOB around everything. :rolleyes:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, that's a broken game.

The forums were down for me, so this will be a very delayed WHAT THE gently caress TASBOT. I just needed to take that off my chest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RyokoTK posted:

I really like speed runs like this where the guy skips all the fights and content and just walks OOB around everything. :rolleyes:

This except completely unironically.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RyokoTK posted:

It can be dope. See: Deus Ex.

e: The Dishonored one is great too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm alright with it if there are spiffy movement mechanics. And it seems this games does, with the constant swan diving forward. :allears:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It's pretty cool when it happens in Amnesia, too. Not nearly as much as Deus Ex, obviously, but still neat.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

If only the runner had personality and the couch wasn't completely silent.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
"Looks like you need some donations to read"

Are the people on the couch allowed to leave? I'd leave.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Works for Spyro!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

This except completely unironically.
I was expecting this run to be boring and awful, but so far it has not disappointed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Seems to be a consistent problem with this event. Makes me wonder if it would improve things if they had dedicated commentators for prime time runs but I doubt that kind of thing is feasible.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Why are you even watching speedruns?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Maybe that's it. The Deus Ex run had great commentary (and UA is cool) and the game is just wacky and bizarre (and there is stuff beyond just noclipping through all the obstacles).

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Need an eject seat for the couch for when everyone is silent and just staring sternly with arms crossed for any length of time

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I dunno, turning Tomb Raider into dopey skywalking Mirror's Edge has been way cooler than expected so far.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

weekly font posted:

It can be dope. See: Deus Ex.

e: The Dishonored one is great too.

Metroid prime 2 was similarly fantastic

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

F. Lobot posted:

I guess I just prefer speedruns where the runner has to play at least part of the game. :shrug:

v I don't know if you're just being snide, but this run I'm sure requires a lot of knowledge of the game and took lots of practice and exploration with the glitches.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

F. Lobot posted:

To see impressive displays of game skill and technical knowledge that I couldn't replicate without months of practice that I would never do. Nothing about this tomb raider run is impressive.

Edit to say oh look he died yet again.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Transistor was boring as hell. This tomb raider run is really fun though.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Just flood the room with cocaine. That'll make this more interesting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Amnesia is also a fun OOB-heavy run.

weekly font posted:

I dunno, turning Tomb Raider into dopey skywalking Mirror's Edge has been way cooler than expected so far.
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are so down on this run - he could use a good couch commentator but watching this game get broken so badly is pretty fun.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Please refer to section 12, addendum 5, sub-section 8 of the rules for Couch Interaction with regards to Runs In Progress. All comments must be submitted before hand for Runner approval pending approval from GDQ commission of Runner to Couch Interaction Committee.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

I guess I just prefer speedruns where the runner has to play at least part of the game. :shrug:

And I prefer runs that are as glitched as possible (barring instant warping to credits) :shrug:
I think it's nice that they allow both types of run in this event.

e: A lot of the more glitched runs have some of the highest skill ceilings because the glitches themselves are hard to pull off.
It's nice with a bit of variety though, I feel like Cosmo's old OoT run strikes a great balance. Really wish there were more runs like that :allears:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 5, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Maybe I would appreciate it more if I had played this game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RyokoTK posted:

Maybe I would appreciate it more if I had played this game.

I find it the other way around. If I haven't played a game it's more impressive when people glitch it out or break through it versus if I've played a game where someone just playing very optimally is impressive.

I've never played Transistor so I couldn't tell what was impressive or why he was doing this or that and was just generally bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I played the original tomb raider when it first came out and I don't remember boss fights like that. Did this Anniversary version actually change things?

• Locked thread