Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Turfahurf posted:

Enter the Void is really amazing but it may not resonate with you if you haven't done psychedelic drugs. If you have, it's probably the best cinematic representation of the experience that has been done.

This is pretty accurate. The second person perspective is very well done.

Criminal Minded posted:

Enter the Void is a movie I wanted to love and ended up finding really dull outside of the loving awesome opening credits. So if those were a warning, it didn't work.

Pretty much. But it's one of the best opening credits sequences ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A MIRACLE posted:

God Maron is so bad why did I try to like it

Yeah, I don't understand why people like this guy. He's such a loving poo poo.

Junkie Disease posted:

Did X files not have Foreign Language captions? Many episodes just seem very off with all that missing.

It's a problem with Netflix, all the "hard" subtitles the show originally had aren't there. eg: "the truth is out there" at the end of the intro isn't there either.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WarEternal posted:

Yeah, I don't understand why people like this guy. He's such a loving poo poo.

He's a good interviewer.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's a good interviewer.

As long as it's someone he knows, at least.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

morestuff posted:

Yeah his Chris Parnell interview was poo poo. It only works if the person has a bunch of emotional trauma I guess

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Yeah, well. There you go.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

His Tim Heidecker interview was one of the only times someone has gotten him to speak out of "character" on record for more than a few minutes at a time, and I think his joint Tim and Eric interview was at least partly sincere so his podcast is at least partly worth it for that reason. You can just not listen to it or watch his poo poo show the rest of the time.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

TV news has also (arguably, I guess) gotten significantly worse since then

I much prefer '90s-Anderson Cooper diving for cover during Desert Storm coverage on Channel One. Best part of home room.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think liking Marc Maron is a requirement for liking the show Maron. Especially in season 1 the show is there to point out how much of an utter rear end in a top hat he is.

In real life, Marc Maron was apparently a total dick to everyone in the world and burned a lot of bridges and only recently realized he should maybe not do that.

Anyway I think it's a funny enough show. The guest stars really make or break an episode though. The one with Dave Foley is great, as is the Ray Romano one.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I finally watched Resolution and did you guys think that the entity in the end was the viewing audience (or just the film viewing public overall)? In other words do you think it is about people who watch a movie and complain about the resolution? It was pretty meta and made fun of or acknowledged horror movie tropes and indie tropes for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's certainly one interpretation.

I didn't know there was a sequel to The Trip but just watched it. It's definitely "more of the same" so if you like watching Rob and Steve piss about (this time in Italy) you can't really miss.

Also Snatch and Election got added.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

precision posted:

That's certainly one interpretation.

I didn't know there was a sequel to The Trip but just watched it. It's definitely "more of the same" so if you like watching Rob and Steve piss about (this time in Italy) you can't really miss.

Also Snatch and Election got added.
I thought you meant the Johnnie To Election, and got excited. (It's the Reese Witherspoon / Matthew Broderick Election)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mean Girls is on netflix, obviously a great movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yo, The League may not be everyone's taste because it's basically It's Always Sunny with rich people which makes things a bit less endearing. But Season 5 Episode 4 has a pretty much standalone episode with Jason Mantsoukas and Seth Rogen that is pretty fun.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yo, The League may not be everyone's taste because it's basically It's Always Sunny with rich people which makes things a bit less endearing. But Season 5 Episode 4 has a pretty much standalone episode with Jason Mantsoukas and Seth Rogen that is pretty fun.

You do not need to know anything about football whatsoever for The League to be funny, which I think is a very good thing for the show.

But yeah, The League is hilarious.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Turfahurf posted:

Enter the Void is really amazing but it may not resonate with you if you haven't done psychedelic drugs. If you have, it's probably the best cinematic representation of the experience that has been done.

See I've done a lot of psychedlics and I quit because they became boring for me. I think that's why Enter the Void doesn't work for me. I see it, and think I've been there before.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Also: Wayne's World 2

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I thought you meant the Johnnie To Election, and got excited. (It's the Reese Witherspoon / Matthew Broderick Election)

Election is one of my all time favorite comedies, so I'm stoked it got added.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

SunshineDanceParty posted:

See I've done a lot of psychedlics and I quit because they became boring for me. I think that's why Enter the Void doesn't work for me. I see it, and think I've been there before.

Well for some odd reason you didn't really get into them. You don't "get" drugs so obviously the film doesn't work.

Also I'm watching In her skin... it's not that great. I don't like it especially when showing mental illness movies always go for the most extreme examples. To the point where it's kind of insulting, like everyone with mental illness is always a complete loving wreck. It puts out a terrible stigma to the point where just a mere hint of it people don't fuckin like it at all.

I love movies like The Machinist or even Shutter Island. Both movies do a great job of portraying the fact that these are normal people plagued by a bag of mental glitches. Not only that but the actual portrayal of mental illness is so much more believable.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 5, 2015

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

NeoSeeker posted:

Well for some odd reason you didn't really get into them. You don't "get" drugs so obviously the film doesn't work.

No I loved them, and my life is better for them. But like anything you grow past it, and Enter the Void just hit me at the wrong time in my life.

The League has some great seasons, and a large majority of the jokes have nothing to do with football.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 5, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Timeless Appeal posted:

GonSmithe posted:

You do not need to know anything about football whatsoever for The League to be funny, which I think is a very good thing for the show.

But yeah, The League is hilarious.
I love How Did This Get Made but don't know much/care much about football. I'm gonna have to check out The League at some point. On the podcast, Jason keeps saying what a monster his character on the show is.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
The League is hilarious and Jon Lajoie is the best.

I watched It's Such A Beautiful Day tonight. Amazing work, and really loving powerful too. What a far cry from "my rear end is bleeding".

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I love How Did This Get Made but don't know much/care much about football. I'm gonna have to check out The League at some point. On the podcast, Jason keeps saying what a monster his character on the show is.

Knowing football probably only covers ten percent of the jokes, most of it is poo poo like white sushi chefs and singing cowboy telegrams.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Maron is fine if you like Maron's persona, otherwise I'm not sure what appeal it would have. I don't agree with comparisons to Louie; outside of "show centered around comedian's material" they're not even trying to do the same thing.

Hanging enjoyment of Enter the Void on psychedelic use is silly. Sometimes movies just don't hit for some people. I've never done psychedelics and was utterly captivated by it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Knowing football probably only covers ten percent of the jokes, most of it is poo poo like white sushi chefs and singing cowboy telegrams.

And balls jokes, lots and lots of jokes about balls.

Which is to say the show is hilarious.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Hanging enjoyment of Enter the Void on psychedelic use is silly. Sometimes movies just don't hit for some people. I've never done psychedelics and was utterly captivated by it.

Like most films that portray drugs as anything other than a scourge of youth, Enter the Void is completely ambivalent about their importance to the human experience. The protagonist only ever goes on one trip the whole movie and though it's hypnotic, it's entirely un-profound. When Gaspar tells him that MDMA is like death, and that death is like "the ultimate trip," that isn't precisely a ringing endorsement of the substance or its physical and mental effects on the protagonist, especially since the same person echoes his sister's opinion that he's just becoming a junkie. Even the "ultimate trip" ends up being this very protagonist being forced to confront how his substance abuse was just a way of avoiding confronting his emotional trauma, destroyed any potential for a long-lasting or meaningful relationship with the only family he had left, and basically bringing him and the people he cares nothing but trouble. The kicker is that his It's a Wonderful Life-experience of what the world would be like without him ultimately ends with everyone getting along just swimmingly.

There's a scene in The Holy Mountain where the characters visit the Pantheon Bar and at one stage they confront a drug dealer who tries to convince them that drugs are the key to enlightenment. The point of the scene is that Jodorowsky felt that exactly the sorts of junkie audiences his surreal films were attracting needed to be made aware that the very thing that was expanding their capacity for feeling and thinking were now distracting them from the naked beauty of the world they felt alienated from in the first place. The use of drugs in Enter the Void is very similar. Drugs are just one step to expanding your perception of yourself and the world around you, but they're not going to take you all the way up the ladder to enlightenment. Not ever.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I feel noticeably stupider for having watched Dredd.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

Do you mean awesomer? I think you mean awesomer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dredd's lovely interpretation of justice is entrenched in the system, and people like Anderson who get to know criminals and understand their circumstances and the ramifications of the justice they deal out, people like her have no voice in the system. It's wonderful as a satire of American law enforcement.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Dredd's lovely interpretation of justice is entrenched in the system, and people like Anderson who get to know criminals and understand their circumstances and the ramifications of the justice they deal out, people like her have no voice in the system. It's wonderful as a satire of American law enforcement.

A few years in the isocubes would be better than this drudge.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is that because he knocked you upside the head before sending you to the isocube?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steve Yun posted:

I don't know, if you're going to go the satirical route, Dredd explicitly endorses Anderson's methods by passing her at the end. It's more like the system realizing that they don't have to just level city blocks and shoot people in the face; sometimes softer methods, you know, like enhanced interrogation and mind-loving, work just as well too!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know, if you're going to go the satirical route, Dredd explicitly endorses Anderson's methods by passing her at the end. It's more like the system realizing that they don't have to just level city blocks and shoot people in the face; sometimes softer methods, you know, like enhanced interrogation and mind-loving, work just as well too!

If you're looking for morality, practicality, or relatability in Dredd you're not going to find it. The movie plays it much more straight but the comic books make it really clear it's a dystopian dark satire about the police who are only delaying Mega-City One's inevitable collapse into anarchy. It's basically Warhammer 40k but not in outer space. And while it's got satirical/social commentary elements, it's not totally married to them so it can be contradictory at times if something suits the narrative better.

But the movie owns because it's hyperviolent and isn't a story about saving the whole world (it's impossible to save the world in that setting, that's the whole point), which is really rare these days since action movies basically do nothing but up the stakes one movie after another. Also Karl Urban didn't mind only showing his chin the whole time, so that was pretty unselfish. I think the movie's been pretty successful after its disappointing run so there's hope for a sequel at some point.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

Also I'm watching In her skin... it's not that great. I don't like it especially when showing mental illness movies always go for the most extreme examples. To the point where it's kind of insulting, like everyone with mental illness is always a complete loving wreck. It puts out a terrible stigma to the point where just a mere hint of it people don't fuckin like it at all.

I love movies like The Machinist or even Shutter Island. Both movies do a great job of portraying the fact that these are normal people plagued by a bag of mental glitches. Not only that but the actual portrayal of mental illness is so much more believable.

It's a true story and none of what you say here makes any sense.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I agree with this. Also, something I have never seen anyone in these threads say, but Dredd says, "You do this, automatic fail. You do that, automatic fail. You lose your primary weapon, automatic fail." And then she loses her gun.... and he passes her.

Know what? The primary weapon is her mind, and not just because she is psychic. If she panics, that is an automatic fail. She didn't, she kept her cool, and she prevailed in a pretty hopeless situation.

Dredd is awesome, but I can see how some people would find it scary because most of the time people don't stop to talk about their feelings before making decisions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It's a true story and none of what you say here makes any sense.

Yeah.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/netflix-vpn-crack-down/?fb=dd

Stay safe, proxy ghost

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Batman and Robinwas made in America? Sure it's not a $100 million episode of Sabado Gigante?

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 5, 2015

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Yeah it's absurd and you're going to find examples of every contrasting level of drug use and reaction. I've done an absolute pile of psychedelics and thought it was junk. I don't think the two are especially related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If I can't watch US netflix I'll probably cancel. The local offering sucks.

• Locked thread