Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pastry has been my foil for years. I've tried every recipe and method and had people show me, and it never works out on my end. That I struggle so much with it has always baffled me, because I'm awesome at biscuits to the extent that they're my go-to starch as a side in meals.

But today I wanted to make a pie. I decided to say "gently caress it" to following a recipe, and to just follow my instincts with the flour, fat, and water. I avoided measuring much, and just went by feel instead of following Paula Deen's or Martha Stewart's or the executive chef who I worked for eight years ago's or my mom's guidelines, and just mix it until it looked how I wanted it, measuring more to see where I had gone than where I was going. I ended up with like, oh 2/3 cup of lard, 2 cups of flour and 3/4 cups of water + some salt.

This pie looks loving perfect.

I'm so proud of myself right now and I just needed to share with some cooking types. It's not in the oven yet - it's resting in the fridge while the oven preheats. I might post pics when it's finished, provided that I don't burn it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A good pie crust is a wonder and a skill you will keep forever. Good work.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

Congrats!! Did she get you the nice sexy red one? It's so nice. So nice.

I think she got the black one, not sure though. Do you have the original, or already got this updated model? I'm looking forward to cooking the poo poo out of some eggs...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I think she got the black one, not sure though. Do you have the original, or already got this updated model? I'm looking forward to cooking the poo poo out of some eggs...

I got the new one. It's loving awesome.

(da red wunz cook fasta)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I got one too. Can't wait. What should I vizzle first?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I jumped the gun a bit on cutting it. I think I can do better, but my confidence level with pastry is still way up.

And if I had a circulator, I'd never use it for anything but eggs.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Going to a low key evening at friends. Bringing a bunch of stuff I didn't make myself, including cheese I can't eat. I found a Moroccan spiced old cheddar that looks really swell, and I grabbed a herbed goat cheese, and a Camembert. A tapenade, some pumpkin snickerdoodles I did actually make, probably the last of the rumballs I made - oh as I'm typing this I realize I can't bring the rumballs cause there is going to be a fellow with a nut allergy there. And I need to pick up Hagen Dazs salted caramel bars, because they are my husband's favorite and it's his birthday at midnight.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice flaky crust there, CommonShore.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

I got one too. Can't wait. What should I vizzle first?

eggs and chicken

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

steak you loving heathens

get a prime loving steak and cook it perfectly

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

steak you loving heathens

get a prime loving steak and cook it perfectly

why would i do that when i could just duckass

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

queck

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I am regretting not buying nice bread somewhere on New Year's Eve. I want to eat Welsh Rarebit and all sorts of hipsters left some really nice looking beers around my place.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I took my beautiful laminated santoku on holiday to South Africa with my whole family because its light and good, and rental house knives are always abysmal. I just discovered that somebody dropped it and broke the tip off, and didn't even loving tell me. So angry.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

therattle posted:

I took my beautiful laminated santoku on holiday to South Africa with my whole family because its light and good, and rental house knives are always abysmal. I just discovered that somebody dropped it and broke the tip off, and didn't even loving tell me. So angry.

Divorce your family.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

therattle posted:

This is why you learn to use a waterstone, bring that with you instead and sharpen the lovely rental house knives.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
This is in no way food related, but I wanted to share my restoration project with you folks. This is a 100 year (or so) old brace that we used to tap maple trees (so I guess a bit food related) when I was a kid.

Full album is here:
http://imgur.com/a/MORyy

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Happy new year, GWS. Thanks for all your help this past year. I've made great strides and I couldn't have done it without you all.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here's the menu from my NYE dinner. I got the charcuterie board, salmon, and chocolate peanut butter tower. She got the lobster bisque, ravioli, and creme brulee. We also had some raw oysters. It was all very very good.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

This is in no way food related, but I wanted to share my restoration project with you folks. This is a 100 year (or so) old brace that we used to tap maple trees (so I guess a bit food related) when I was a kid.

Full album is here:
http://imgur.com/a/MORyy

Dude that' really amazing how it went from old and crusted to the new hotness. Seriously great work.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

dino. posted:

Dude that' really amazing how it went from old and crusted to the new hotness. Seriously great work.

Thanks, dino!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have any of you nerds heard about this? 300k in wine was stolen from The French Laundry on Xmas.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so im thinking about taking a trip to nashville over MLK weekend, mostly to get some hot chicken. anyone live in the area or have any restaurant / things-to-do recommendations? I'm on the waitlist for catbirdseat but not expecting to get a spot. :/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

eat at husk eat at husk eat at husk eat at husk eat at husk eat at husk eat at husk

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Follow Strategic Hospitality (the restaurant group that owns Catbird) on twitter, they occasionally have a reservation open up they tweet about but I guess they'd go to their wait list first. But if you're willing to make any more impromptu trips...

Husk is indeed great and they have a great bar too. Without a reservation you can typically find a seat at the bar for lunch. Get their fried chicken and the plate of southern vegetables. Lisa Donovan is no longer the pastry chef there but when she was, the desserts were not to be missed. They're probably still good.

Nashville has had a lot of casual fine dining places open in the last few years, I'd recommend any of Rolf and Daughters, City House, the 404 Kitchen and Lockeland Table. Reservations recommended for all of them but Rolf and Daughters has a communal table that is first come first serve or can try the bar at City House. Josephine is another similar type place where you can eat at the bar without a res.

Remember that Prince's has weirdish hours and is cash only. I also like both Pepperfire (where you can also get a deep fried grilled cheese with hot chicken spices) and Hattie B's too which are easier to get to. Some people are not so big on the Hattie B's chicken but they do have the best sides and they serve beer.

Actual Food at the POP pop-up restaurant space has a great brunch. Sinema for fancy brunch.

There's a bunch of newish places I haven't been to yet: Union Common, the Sutler (more a music venue but food's supposed to be good), Adele's, Prima.

I always recommend Jeni's ice cream for visitors to Nashville but they have that in Atlanta now.

Patterson House is the speakeasy type bar that is run by the Catbird Seat people (it's right below Catbird). There's always a wait but if you're out late then head there at like 12/1am and there probably won't be a long wait.

Here's a map of stuff I put together when I got married and had a lot of out of town guests: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zLLPt3Vw2H38.kzlDYdmedUoQ

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
awesome, thank you x1000000 mich + casu. y'all confirmed my basic suspicions about the food scene there. I had been leaning away from husk (because I want to eat at sean's original place in charleston really) but I'll probably give it a go.

good to know about princes, I would have totally shown up at a random hour they weren't open. also appreciate the other tips, I'm really starting to get excited about this (formerly) nebulous plan for a mini vacation.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I haven't been to Charleston Husk but from what I hear, since both are very regional ingredient driven, seafood is more of a standout there while beef and vegetables are bigger in the Nashville location. Oh, also Nashville Husk has a really good burger if you're like me and want to try all the good burgers. Burger and fried chicken at Husk are lunch time only I forgot to mention. Even though Nashville is the second location, Sean Brock is here all the time based on what I see him post on twitter and that I've seen him at the restaurant three or four times of the dozen or so times I've been there.

If I had to choose, on a Saturday I'd do Husk for lunch (or I guess brunch), then Prince's for mid-day meal (as they don't open til 2pm on Sat), then Rolf and Daughters for later dinner. Also be sure to block 1-1.5 hours for Prince's on a Saturday, there's always a line, even right at 2 when they open.

Alternatively on weekends Prince's is open til 4am. It's not considered a great area of town though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I love this forum, you guys are great.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
is GWS good again

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

The Fear posted:

is GWS good again

Nah

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Fear posted:

is GWS good again

Nah, some idiot has been crapping things up lately talking about how s/he absorbs cheffy knowledge by proxy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I roomed with an accountant for a while, lemme do your taxes, k?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Casu Marzu posted:

Nah, some idiot has been crapping things up lately talking about how s/he absorbs cheffy knowledge by proxy.

Lame

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I also lived with a mechanic for a year, let me tell you about head gaskets

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

I also lived with a mechanic for a year, let me tell you about head gaskets

That's how pr0k's mom pretties up a blowjob, right?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Fear posted:

Thing is good?

No, thing is bad.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thing has always been bad.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
So. Diastatic malt powder.

How well does this poo poo work on a sweet potato puree, rather than a straight up potato puree?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ascendance posted:

So. Diastatic malt powder.

How well does this poo poo work on a sweet potato puree, rather than a straight up potato puree?

Its action is to break starch down into sugar, making the potatoes sweeter.

Sweet potatoes already have about 7x as much sugar as russet potatoes. They also have half as much starch as a russet and 3/5 as much starch as a Yukon. Which suggests it might be unnecessary and will probably be not as effective in sweet potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I believe if you want super awesome sweet sweet potatoes you can just hold at 150F for a really long time to get em to convert more sugar, then tun the heat up to soften.