Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Most people don't say "Oh well, live and learn, $1500 down the drain!"

Especially not with a newborn a month away.

There is either more to the story than you are telling us, or you still have a whole lot to learn about money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

We did give them 30 days written notice, yes. No walkthrough, no bill or notice of fees at all until this past Friday.
That would send my blood pressure through the roof. I would negotiate my rear end off to get that 1/2 month rent back. Negotiating is hard but that's enough my money to trip my bullshit trigger. Especially since they should have done a walkthrough and they had it in writing.

Edit: if these are corporate owned apartments, you need to get ahold of whatever management you can in the corporate mothership and negotiate with them, not just the warm body sitting at the front desk.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
What about the security deposit, was there one? And shouldn't it be going towards that $1500?

This is confusing as gently caress.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

It's very simple. Look at the title of the thread.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Rudager posted:

What about the security deposit, was there one? And shouldn't it be going towards that $1500?

Yeah I'm missing something here. Wasn't the lease break fee paid back when you ... Broke the lease?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Rudager posted:

Normally if you break the lease you forfeit the deposit, it does not count towards any other fees/penalties/rent/whatever.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Normally if you break the lease you forfeit the deposit, it does not count towards any other fees/penalties/rent/whatever.

Is that Nevada law, or just something that was in the contract he signs? I can't seem to find anything from a quick googling about it being law in Nevada. A few articles talk about the security deposit being used to cover the rent payments until another tenant is found.

It just seems sus as hell, I mean the entire point of the security deposit is to cover the owners costs in unforeseen events.

If I was KG, I'd be telling them to go gently caress themselves, they've already got whatever the security deposit was.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

That's a good point, some states have laws that say what happens to deposits, and NV might, I don't know. My comment was just from my experiences on the leases I have signed.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

That's a good point, some states have laws that say what happens to deposits, and NV might, I don't know. My comment was just from my experiences on the leases I have signed.

I know that poo poo like that would never fly here, but that's also because it's a different country.

You should be looking into this KG, because in reality this lease breaking isn't costing you $1500, it's costing you $1500 and the security deposit.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

spwrozek posted:

This is crazy. Didn't you have it back in your budget to break the lease? Wouldn't it just be paid when you left?

So basically you have a $2500 tax liability, $1500 lease liability, a baby on the way, no savings, and a herd of animals. There is zero chance you're wife can be off work. You need to man up and see about a higher paying job too.

Who gives a crap about $20 of dog food when you have things like this going on?

Well i mean, it's all a sunk cost so you work with what you can.

EITHER WAY knyte seemed to somehow leave out a helluvalot about this whole fiasco right now in where he's not giving the full story, and while he was moving out in which the thread really could have helped him out

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Dude don't pay a dime of that and call whomever regulates that sort of stuff in your state/city. It sounds like you've got a pretty good case for fighting whatever bs they are pulling. And, given your credit rating I'm not sure the hit matters that much. The fact that you're worrying about your credit rating given your financial situation is fairly funny.

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014

Rudager posted:

It just seems sus as hell, I mean the entire point of the security deposit is to cover the owners costs in unforeseen events.

If I was KG, I'd be telling them to go gently caress themselves, they've already got whatever the security deposit was.

It doesn't sound all that weird to me. It sounds like they want to charge him for occupancy of the apartment until they received the keys. They have no way of knowing when he left the keys in the apartment, and I wouldn't expect the landlord to enter the apartment the exact day he said he was moving out.

I would actually think his occupancy would be assumed until he notified them that he had gotten all of his stuff out, because it's so common for people to finish moving out after the deadline. Then again, I've never heard of anyone turning their keys in just by leaving them in the apartment.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Zanthia posted:

It doesn't sound all that weird to me. It sounds like they want to charge him for occupancy of the apartment until they received the keys. They have no way of knowing when he left the keys in the apartment, and I wouldn't expect the landlord to enter the apartment the exact day he said he was moving out.

Yeah, leaving the keys in the place for them to collect is dumb, and I get that they charge him for that, but the fact that they keep the months worth of rent security deposit and then charge him for the occupancy from the time he stopped paying rent seems pretty dodgy to me.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Rudager posted:

Yeah, leaving the keys in the place for them to collect is dumb, and I get that they charge him for that, but the fact that they keep the months worth of rent security deposit and then charge him for the occupancy from the time he stopped paying rent seems pretty dodgy to me.

He still broke several months' worth of his lease, whether he left on the 15th or 31st (or whatever).

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

in_cahoots posted:

He still broke several months' worth of his lease, whether he left on the 15th or 31st (or whatever).

In the worst case he's only obligated to cover the costs up to the point they get a new tenant though.

To re-iterate, this whole mess is confusing as gently caress.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I would definitely fight the apartment if I didn't care about my credit rating and my rental history, but I do. The consequence of not paying is them putting us in collections for the bill.

I might be confusing my BFC threads here, but don't you already have a bunch of medical bills in collections?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

April posted:

I might be confusing my BFC threads here, but don't you already have a bunch of medical bills in collections?

Pretty sure he decided to never pay those way back when, not sure if that ever changed.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Iron Lung posted:

Pretty sure he decided to never pay those way back when, not sure if that ever changed.

So it's something like:

-Legitimate medical expenses, in which he actually used the services: "Eh, not paying for it. Collections? Oh well."

-Stupid, partially made-up charge that he could legitimately fight even though he was dumb for not making sure everything was cleared up the minute he moved out: "I CAN'T HAVE IT GOING TO COLLECTIONS!! MY CREDIT RATING!!!"

Never change, KG.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
The mental gymnastics in this thread are amazing at times.

Knyteguy posted:

Totals are $6,300 in checking (after paying rent), January fully budgeted including a $510 baby line that will be saved for when we need it, and some of February saved. Actual savings is @ $4,200 and that's with $1,000 earmarked for the impending tax payment. And again we're just about a month ahead. That's with 1 more check coming for me this month, and two more for my wife.

Assuming this means you have $10,500 in the bank ($6,300 in checking + $4,200 in savings) you're not terribly off, but you're also somewhat lying to yourself right? Really you have $10,500 - $2,714 tax bill - $1,485 lease break. This leaves you with $6,301 or basically nothing in savings, but still over a month ahead.

What I'm hoping is that you're not double counting the money in your checking or $6,300 in checking (which also includes your savings). Which would put you at $6,300-$2,714-$1,485 or $2,101.

April posted:

Stupid, partially made-up charge that he could legitimately fight even though he was dumb for not making sure everything was cleared up the minute he moved out: "I CAN'T HAVE IT GOING TO COLLECTIONS!! MY CREDIT RATING!!!"

It doesn't really sound made up though. If his lease said that he was supposed to turn in his keys and he didn't and he was breaking his lease (meaning no formal signed off on move out date) then it's not really the land lords fault. Again I don't know if we have all the details. Typically when I've moved out of an apartment we've been required to give 30 days notice in the mail. They then send us a formal acknowledgement that we have to sign (we make a copy and keep for ourselves) and return 2 weeks prior to move out. Typically this has also been when you leave a forwarding address, they let you know the move out terms, and you can waive your right or ask for a pre inspection as well as set up a final inspection if you wish.

If he filled out all those forms, signed, dated, etc. Then he has a strong case to tell them to gently caress off. However if his move out was more of a verbal agreement (which I have a feeling this is the case) then he's pretty hosed.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 5, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Bugamol posted:

If he filled out all those forms, signed, dated, etc. Then he has a strong case to tell them to gently caress off. However if his move out was more of a verbal agreement (which I have a feeling this is the case) then he's pretty hosed.

I've successfully avoided getting into these types of situations with about 3 landlords by telling them to gently caress off and sue me. I was in the right each time when I left, but I didn't just give in and roll over and let them take advantage of me. Knyte clearly cowered and let them do whatever they wanted, which is the opposite of how to handle it. We can't really help him after the fact but loving christ knyte.

The amount of times we've collectively said in this thread well I guess we can't help you after the fact is loving mind boggling.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I've successfully avoided getting into these types of situations with about 3 landlords by telling them to gently caress off and sue me. I was in the right each time when I left, but I didn't just give in and roll over and let them take advantage of me. Knyte clearly cowered and let them do whatever they wanted, which is the opposite of how to handle it. We can't really help him after the fact but loving christ knyte.

The amount of times we've collectively said in this thread well I guess we can't help you after the fact is loving mind boggling.

Dude my wife went down there. We weren't even aware of the bill until this past Friday, and especially not what the amount was. Nor that we were getting charged anything for keys being missing. Yes the agreement to move out was written. We even gave them our new address upon moveout, which is another way they completely failed to contact us.

I didn't know about the stupid excess charge until Friday, literally.

If everyone thinks I should go swing my dick around this place then fine. I think it'll end up with us in collections, my credit score going back to poo poo when we're getting really drat close to being able to refinance our car at a lower interest rate (my score has gone up 50 points since we purchased and our interest rate is about 11% currently), and a mar on our perfect rental history. I personally think it's a poor way to handle it.

Look at what I said here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685345#post438428102 I've been here before with companies and banks being assholes. It has hurt me every single time, and it's one of the reasons my credit is shot and we're so far in debt. The medical bill is like 4 years old and I didn't exactly choose for my appendix to go out, while this was my fault for not doing my due diligence upon move out. And I wouldn't have been able to afford a $22,000 medical bill back then anyway - I was unemployed.

Bugamol those numbers are wrong I'll post new ones later.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 5, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

That would send my blood pressure through the roof. I would negotiate my rear end off to get that 1/2 month rent back. Negotiating is hard but that's enough my money to trip my bullshit trigger. Especially since they should have done a walkthrough and they had it in writing.

Edit: if these are corporate owned apartments, you need to get ahold of whatever management you can in the corporate mothership and negotiate with them, not just the warm body sitting at the front desk.

Alright I will try to see if there is another office to talk to, as I've had success doing that before.. The manager at the apartments might have final say though.

Rudager posted:

Yes. The total bill was $2,000 and the deposit was $500. It's already been applied to the bill.

Zanthia posted:

I would actually think his occupancy would be assumed until he notified them that he had gotten all of his stuff out, because it's so common for people to finish moving out after the deadline. Then again, I've never heard of anyone turning their keys in just by leaving them in the apartment.

It's this exactly.

SiGmA_X posted:

Yeah I'm missing something here. Wasn't the lease break fee paid back when you ... Broke the lease?

No the terms were supposed to be that we get a bill in the mail at our new apartment shortly after move out, and when we didn't get a bill my wife went down there to find out what was going on, since she works right across the street.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

For the bill it's not just the $500 due now, it's the entire lease break fee as well. That comes $1,485 give or take a couple dollars. I'd rather just make them minimum payments for awhile with so many financial hazards impending. If you guys think we should just pay it though that's fine.

Your numbers aren't adding up.

A few pages ago the lease break fee was $1185 (1.5 months rent), and deposit ($550 I think?) was not forfeited.

Now you are stating that you had an additional $500 charge for the keys and the total is $1485, the deposit having already been deducted. So the original total was 1185+500+550 = $2255

Do I have some of these figures wrong or are there hundreds of dollars of fees that you aren't telling us about?

Edit: for math

Robo Boogie Bot fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

If everyone thinks I should go swing my dick around this place then fine. I think it'll end up with us in collections, my credit score going back to poo poo when we're getting really drat close to being able to refinance our car at a lower interest rate (my score has gone up 50 points since we purchased and our interest rate is about 11% currently), and a mar on our perfect rental history. I personally think it's a poor way to handle it.

I think there's a middle ground between "waving your dick around" and screaming at them and talking to them and telling them that it's unreasonable for you to be expected to pay this.

This is probably another case of "we don't have all the facts". How did the conversation go? I think everyone assumes it went like the below:

Scene:

[Rental Office at Apartment Complex in Reno]

[Two office personal sitting at desks doing work]

[Enter stage left KW]

KW: Hello! We recently moved out and haven't received a final bill yet? Any idea what's going on?

Office Worker (OW): What's your name and what apartment did you live in?

KW: Knyte Wife and we lived in apartment 3C.

OW: Oh actually you never turned in your keys so we only recently entered and started the process of moving you out. Since we didn't enter your apartment for 16 days we are charging you a prorated rental fee for the additional time that you "lived" there.

[audience laughter]

KW: Oh okay. Thanks.

[Exit stage left KW]

[audience laughter]

(I have no idea how to write a screenplay)

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
[quote="Knyteguy" post="""]It has hurt me every single time, and it's one of the reasons my credit is shot and we're so far in debt. The medical bill is like 4 years old and I didn't exactly choose for my appendix to go out, while this was my fault for not doing my due diligence upon move out. And I wouldn't have been able to afford a $22,000 medical bill back then anyway - I was unemployed.
[/quote]

How are you worried this much about like 2k going to collections vs the 22k of medical debt you already have in collections? Seems like ignoring that is going to hurt a lot more.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Alright I will try to see if there is another office to talk to, as I've had success doing that before.. The manager at the apartments might have final say though.
Here is my suggestion for how to phrase it if you can get a corporate manager on the phone:
"Hi there, this is KG and I'm calling in regards to your location at XYZ Street in Reno and I found out that the management did not enter my apartment to complete the move out process until the end of November, even though they had written notice that our moveout was scheduled for November 15th. I'm not trying to point fingers or blame anyone, I really just want to find a solution that is going to work for everybody. I don't mind paying the lease break fee, but I'm really not going to be able to pay the rent for the remainder of November like they are asking us to do."

BS with them for a while and then, once they agree:

"Thanks for being so understanding. If you could please put a note on my account so the local manager will know what's going on when they pull up my account, I would really appreciate it."

Do not volunteer the info about leaving the keys in unless they specifically ask you.

e: spelling

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 5, 2015

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I agree with that, and also remember - whoever you are dealing with on the phone, it's not their $500, it's just their job. The only thing they are likely to care about is that you go away and stop bothering them. So they will start by telling you no, and your goal should be to be polite but make it clear you are not going to go away.

Sometimes if I am really having trouble getting what I want I will talk slowly and make the phone call take forever, and point out that I will call back the next day and ask for them etc. It obviously depends on the size of the organization, but if it's decent sized, if you just don't go away and you waste enough of their time you will eventually get something out of it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
You cannot refinance your car while it is under water. You will not be right-side up until 3 or 4 years of regular payments. What reality are you living in?

Edit :your credit score sucks because you don't pay your debts. You have an amount of debts hanging over your head that are going to need to be dealt with eventually. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be paying anything extra to the leasing company. Make them sue you, but you need that money in the short term.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 6, 2015

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Nocheez posted:

You cannot refinance your car while it is under water. You will not be right-side up until 3 or 4 years of regular payments. What reality are you living in?

Yes you can.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

RheaConfused posted:

Yes you can.

Not according to this article:

http://enlightenme.com/loan-refinance/

Which states if you are underwater you need the difference between the value of the car and the value of the loan in cash.

But I don't know squat about refinancing cars so there may be options I'm unaware of.

Edit: Some sites discuss the option of refinancing, while emphasizing that most lending institutions will be unwilling to do so without some incentive (cash balance for the difference, added collateral, etc.)

Aagar fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aagar posted:

Not according to this article:

http://enlightenme.com/loan-refinance/

Which states if you are underwater you need the difference between the value of the car and the value of the loan in cash.

But I don't know squat about refinancing cars so there may be options I'm unaware of.

Edit: Some sites discuss the option of refinancing, while emphasizing that most lending institutions will be unwilling to do so without some incentive (cash balance for the difference, added collateral, etc.)

I'm figuring the best chance is through our credit union, where we do have a fairly strong balance (and recently, balance history), a previously paid off loan through them, an upward trend of good credit for the past year or two including the now very responsible use of a credit card, a good expense:income ratio, etc. I think in 6 months time or so we may very well be in a position to refinance with them. I'm not counting on it, but I'm not entirely sure it's something to count out, either.

Thanks for the ideas on dealing with the office. They've been extremely unwilling to budge on previous matters including this one per my wife, but it's worth a shot. They're not going to sue me they're going to put me in collections. It says so right on the bill. I'd risk a day in court.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Knyteguy posted:

I'm figuring the best chance is through our credit union, where we do have a fairly strong balance (and recently, balance history), a previously paid off loan through them, an upward trend of good credit for the past year or two including the now very responsible use of a credit card, a good expense:income ratio, etc. I think in 6 months time or so we may very well be in a position to refinance with them. I'm not counting on it, but I'm not entirely sure it's something to count out, either.

Thanks for the ideas on dealing with the office. They've been extremely unwilling to budge on previous matters including this one per my wife, but it's worth a shot. They're not going to sue me they're going to put me in collections. It says so right on the bill. I'd risk a day in court.

This is exactly how we did it long ago, through our credit union. It's definitely possible.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Nocheez posted:

Edit :your credit score sucks because you don't pay your debts. You have an amount of debts hanging over your head that are going to need to be dealt with eventually. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be paying anything extra to the leasing company. Make them sue you, but you need that money in the short term.

Exactly.

Do you even know what they have done has any basis in reality? Are they using the standard rental agreement for the state? Not giving them the keys seems like an oversight at best. You've got emails/correspondence notifying them the last day of tenancy. These guys are slumlords that basically deserve nothing beyond what they have a legal right to.

There is no drat reason you should be worrying about your credit rating at this point in your life. You have a terrible record for using credit, ruined credit would be best for at least for a few more years. If someday you can afford to buy a house, have 20% down and the banks will probably not much care about your credit rating. When I purchased my house I had 20% down and a ~650 credit score (had pretty much no credit history at the time) and I got the top rates possible (this was years ago it may have changed). Home ownership is a luxury regardless and usually a pretty bad investment.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

n8r posted:

There is no drat reason you should be worrying about your credit rating at this point in your life. You have a terrible record for using credit, ruined credit would be best for at least for a few more years. If someday you can afford to buy a house, have 20% down and the banks will probably not much care about your credit rating.
This is my takeaway as well. KG's credit is so hosed at this point that gaming his score should be the least of his concerns.

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014
Out of morbid curiosity, KG, you did lock the apartment, right? Surely you didn't leave the door unlocked and the keys on the counter, while you were still liable for whatever happened to the unit.

Good luck with the landlord situation. If your lease is anything like mine, breaching the lease is basically an open invitation for them to gently caress you over. My lease says I would forfeit my security deposit and owe them a "breach fee" of two months' rent on top of that. I'm pretty sure just leaving the keys behind wouldn't count for ending my tenancy, either.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
HI BFC buddy,
I'm curious, did you at least do some sort of pre-move out inspection walk through? Do you have proof that you left the property with no damage(or proof of whatever damage there was)? I'm looking forward to the post that says "now the company says we did a bunch of damage to the property which we didn't, and they are threatening to sue. I could have never expected this to happen!"

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

2 things: 1, Why don't you talk to them? 2, What does your lease stipulate? You have a copy of it, and all the termination agreements, right?

n8r posted:

There is no drat reason you should be worrying about your credit rating at this point in your life. You have a terrible record for using credit, ruined credit would be best for at least for a few more years. If someday you can afford to buy a house, have 20% down and the banks will probably not much care about your credit rating. When I purchased my house I had 20% down and a ~650 credit score (had pretty much no credit history at the time) and I got the top rates possible (this was years ago it may have changed). Home ownership is a luxury regardless and usually a pretty bad investment.
I agree here...

Zanthia posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, KG, you did lock the apartment, right? Surely you didn't leave the door unlocked and the keys on the counter, while you were still liable for whatever happened to the unit.
If I leave my apartment unlocked, they can charge an additional fee. I bet that would be assessed if I moved out and left the place open, and legally it could be.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Oh yes we locked the apartment. I wouldn't want to be liable if someone broke in.

Sig I'll talk to them. The lease (addendum that was signed, and our move out notice also signed) straight up states that unreturned keys means we owe rent until the keys are handed in, so I don't expect much. It's not the clause that I find shady - it's their lack of effort to contact us. They had our new mailing address and 4 other phone numbers and couldn't be bothered.

DCB no, no walkthrough. I've only ever done a walkthrough once with an apartment complex. I guess we got lucky we've never had problems, because we've always gotten our full deposit back. We were much more careful documenting any damage at our current place, though. Our bill is already completely finished. They reamed us on a couple of expenses, but again it's our own fault for not documenting.

Anyway I'd kind of like to move on a little here if y'all are cool with that. We'll do our best to get some of this money back, and I appreciate the input, but we're focusing on mistakes made almost 2 months ago, and it's a lesson I don't need drilled into my head anymore. We do HAVE to pay the lease break fee, because I think we'll technically be breaking our current house rental contract if we don't, and we can only do what we can do on the rest. $485 is something we'll recover from if we need to.

Baby due in 5 weeks woo. I spoke to my sister again, and now she's saying she doesn't want to charge us much for daycare, and maybe we'll just do a lot of exchange baby sitting while she goes to her main jobs at night (CNA, nanny contractor). My mother has offered to watch on Fridays as well, and I'm certain other family members will want to help out. Like I said we haven't had a baby in our family in over 2 decades. That doesn't mean care will be free, but it will be relatively cheap.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
For gently caress's sake, dude, this is nobody's fault but your own. Stop making excuses. Stop playing the victim. Don't you get tired of that tune?

It says right there that you needed to HAND THEM IN. Why the hell are they going to contact you if they can just keep charging you rent until they get the keys? Why would they do extra work to STOP getting money from you? Think this one through, man.

I'm pretty sure I can go toe to toe with you regarding places rented, and I've never just left the keys in the apartment, unless there was specific instruction to do so.

YOU hosed this up. YOU. You're not a victim. You should know better than to trust rental agencies to do anything against their best interest. Own it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

loving no it happened 2 months ago and moving on isn't enough. I'm focusing on the fact that it's a common theme that you go WELL THE PAST IS THE PAST DONE AND DONE LETS MOVE ON NOTHING TO SEE HERE when in reality you do it constantly. You ditched the thread and some major pain happened from it.

Knyteguy posted:

Anyway I'd kind of like to move on a little here if y'all are cool with that. We'll do our best to get some of this money back, and I appreciate the input, but we're focusing on mistakes made almost 2 months ago, and it's a lesson I don't need drilled into my head anymore. We do HAVE to pay the lease break fee, because I think we'll technically be breaking our current house rental contract if we don't, and we can only do what we can do on the rest. $485 is something we'll recover from if we need to.

What lesson is being drilled in your head? I get the feeling you think the lesson is "always do a walkthrough"

• Locked thread