Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hey I made a tutorial for GIF-making using VirtualDub, AviSynth and GIF Movie Gear. Use it and you'll get a nicely dithered GIF that isn't all too big. In all this usually takes me about 5 minutes or so.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21406

Hope it proves useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How would I go about getting images from a raw video file for doing a screenshot LP? There don't seem to be any guides on doing this, and I'm hoping there's some trickery I can do with Avisynth so I don't have to use Irfanview to take pictures of the video.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Genocyber posted:

How would I go about getting images from a raw video file for doing a screenshot LP? There don't seem to be any guides on doing this, and I'm hoping there's some trickery I can do with Avisynth so I don't have to use Irfanview to take pictures of the video.

Use AvsPmod. One of its hotkeys is to save the current frame. If you bind that to enter, you can just scroll through the video file to find the images you want, and mash enter to save the images. Since it names the files by frame, you don't even need to care about taking the screenshots in order.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tendales posted:

Use AvsPmod. One of its hotkeys is to save the current frame. If you bind that to enter, you can just scroll through the video file to find the images you want, and mash enter to save the images. Since it names the files by frame, you don't even need to care about taking the screenshots in order.

Thanks!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm trying to encode a video and at some point in the second half, the audio streaming must break or something because MeGUI immediately stops trying to encode and it comes back with the error "FFAudioSource - Seeking is extremely broken." I'm trying to find the point where the audio breaks, but should I assume that means I'm going to have to re-record that part of the video? The actual video part seems fine, and MeGUI queues everything up okay, it's just the audio encoding part that's hosed up.

E: It might be because I'm an idiot and used the wrong source video for the last part (which did have a seeking error at around the 60,000 frame mark), we'll see in a second.

E2: Yep, that was it! It's encoding fine now.

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 30, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Artix posted:

I'm trying to encode a video and at some point in the second half, the audio streaming must break or something because MeGUI immediately stops trying to encode and it comes back with the error "FFAudioSource - Seeking is extremely broken." I'm trying to find the point where the audio breaks, but should I assume that means I'm going to have to re-record that part of the video? The actual video part seems fine, and MeGUI queues everything up okay, it's just the audio encoding part that's hosed up.

Can you export it using VDub as a WAV? If so, you should be able to Wavsource and Audiodub that, and then encode. Sometimes things get really weird and doing fewer encodings at a time works.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tendales posted:

I finally got around to looking at this, and I can't seem to find where this hotkey is in the shortcut list.

e: Oh wait I think I found the one you meant; add/remove bookmark, right?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Genocyber posted:

I finally got around to looking at this, and I can't seem to find where this hotkey is in the shortcut list.

e: Oh wait I think I found the one you meant; add/remove bookmark, right?

I'm pretty sure it's: Video -> Save Image As

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mastigophoran posted:

I'm pretty sure it's: Video -> Save Image As

Yeah, that's the one.

bledking
Sep 4, 2003
I'M SORRY, I DIDN'T MEAN TO CRUSH YOUR FACE!
I'm trying to learn AviSynth; this is the kind of script I can do at the moment :

code:
AviSource("D:\Captures\lnl-01.avi")
clip1 = Trim(1000,4180)
clip2 = Trim(5200,7520)
clip3 = Trim(8300,10200)
clip4 = Trim(10800,14700)
clip5 = Trim(16100,17000)
clip6 = Trim(17800,21680)
clip7 = Trim(22500,30400)
Dissolve(clip1,clip2,clip3,clip4,clip5,clip6,clip7,35)
FadeIn(100)
FadeOut(100)
Trim(0,9007) ++ ChangeSpeed(Trim(9008,9040),0.3) ++ Trim(9041,0)

Function ChangeSpeed(clip c, float factor) 
{
    return c.TimeStretch(tempo=100 * factor).AssumeFPS(c.FrameRate * factor) \
        .ChangeFPS(c.FrameRate)
}
I'm not a programmer so the function is pasted in but the rest I've figured out from reading the tutorial linked in the OP. Not 100% sure I'm doing it right but at least it does what I want it to do. However, I've hit some walls trying to progress from here for the past couple hours. To get me past that I'm trying to find a script from an actual LP to look at. Would any LPers from here be willing to show me a few scripts?

I've searched the forums for "avisource" and found a few scripts. It helps but unfortunately they weren't commented.

bledking fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 31, 2014

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Well, that would depend entirely on what you're trying to progress to.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Category:Internal_filters is a decent place to see the sorts of things AviSynth can do, along with explanations of (most of) them.

But if you really just want some script examples that show things more complex than what you've got, then...

code:
function DoLoop (clip input, int CycleSpeed, int Loops, int start, string code) {

#Eval() will evaluate whatever string your supply it as code.
Eval(code)
# If "start" is equal to "Loops", then break the loop and return "input". Else, call "DoLoop" again, incrementing "start" by one.
(start == Loops)  ?  Eval("return input") : DoLoop(input, CycleSpeed, Loops, start +1, code)

}
code:
function TouchFuzzy(clip input ,int CycleSpeed) {
#Clip needs to be YV12 for Tweak() to work.
input=input.ConvertToYV12()

#Should be obvious. The number of cycles is equal to the frame count of the clip divided by the cycle speed.
NumCycles = input.FrameCount() / CycleSpeed

#Call the DoLoop function with the given clip, Cycle Speed, Number of Cycles, starting at iteration 0, and call the Animate() function to cycle through the hue via Tweak().
#DoLoop makes it repeat to the end of the clip.
#There's probably an easier way to do this.
DoLoop(input, CycleSpeed, NumCycles, 0,"""input = input.Animate(CycleSpeed * start, CycleSpeed * (start+1),"Tweak",0,180)""")

}
DoLoop there shows how recursion works, and TouchFuzzy shows a fun way of implementing it. Probably not particularly useful, but it's something.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 31, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does anyone know how to get OBS to record weird resolutions? Warcraft 3 is natively 4:3. In a patch they added in options to do 16:9 at larger resolutions, but the game (mostly the UI, the 3D is fine in-game but looks a bit odd on the menus) looks stretched and warped. It's not the biggest deal if I have to record it at my native, but I'm trying to get it to do 1536x1152 (my native resolution is 2048x1152 so this is the closest 4:3). WC3 displays fine at that resolution on my monitor, but OBS records it completely incorrectly:

Yes, I changed the recording resolution in OBS' settings, no dice. WC3 is fullscreen, so I have the source set as "Game Capture" hooked to the war3 process. Otherwise it looks like my only 4:3 option is 1360x1024, so I'm not sure if I should go with that or 2048x1152 for my raws.

E: NM, it looks like OBS is just failing at recording WC3 at any 4:3 resolution in general. It doesn't like 1360x1024 or even 640x480. I guess I'm stuck with 16:9 unless anyone has any ideas.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 2, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You could always try resizing after the recording and during editing to make it conform to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ChaosArgate posted:

You could always try resizing after the recording and during editing to make it conform to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

That would squish the unit models, which render fine. it's only the UI that gets stretched to hell.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Somehow, my AegisSub subtitle file, when applied through VirtualDub was resizing my 800x600 video into 640x480.

I have no idea how, but while my computer is chugging away at the correct video versions, could someone help me figure out why this happened, or how?

PS, thank goodness I kept my raw files.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

berryjon posted:

Somehow, my AegisSub subtitle file, when applied through VirtualDub was resizing my 800x600 video into 640x480.

I have no idea how, but while my computer is chugging away at the correct video versions, could someone help me figure out why this happened, or how?

PS, thank goodness I kept my raw files.

That sounds really strange, and certainly shouldn't happen by itself.

Try opening your subtitle file (should be a .rear end file) in Notepad and copy out the [Script Info] section from it to here.
Also take a screenshot of your filter processing dialog in VirtualDub, if you have anything set there.
And a copy of your AVS file if you're using Avisynth.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

nielsm posted:

That sounds really strange, and certainly shouldn't happen by itself.

Try opening your subtitle file (should be a .rear end file) in Notepad and copy out the [Script Info] section from it to here.
Also take a screenshot of your filter processing dialog in VirtualDub, if you have anything set there.
And a copy of your AVS file if you're using Avisynth.

AegisSubFile posted:

[Script Info]
; Script generated by Aegisub 2.1.8
; http://www.aegisub.org/
Title: New subtitles
ScriptType: v4.00+
WrapStyle: 0
PlayResX: 640
PlayResY: 480
ScaledBorderAndShadow: yes
Video File: hw_cataclysm_03.avi
Video Aspect Ratio: 0
Video Zoom: 4
Video Position: 28290

I fixed the problem by changing the PayResX and PlayResY to the proper values.

As for the filter process, I couldn't see anything unusual there.

While the problem is fixed, I am still confused as to how it happened in the first place.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

berryjon posted:

While the problem is fixed, I am still confused as to how it happened in the first place.

Did you load the actual video into Aegisub? That's what I usually do, and it should set the size appropriately since you're feeding it the actual video in the correct dimensions.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Jsor posted:

Does anyone know how to get OBS to record weird resolutions? Warcraft 3 is natively 4:3. In a patch they added in options to do 16:9 at larger resolutions, but the game (mostly the UI, the 3D is fine in-game but looks a bit odd on the menus) looks stretched and warped. It's not the biggest deal if I have to record it at my native, but I'm trying to get it to do 1536x1152 (my native resolution is 2048x1152 so this is the closest 4:3). WC3 displays fine at that resolution on my monitor, but OBS records it completely incorrectly:

Yes, I changed the recording resolution in OBS' settings, no dice. WC3 is fullscreen, so I have the source set as "Game Capture" hooked to the war3 process. Otherwise it looks like my only 4:3 option is 1360x1024, so I'm not sure if I should go with that or 2048x1152 for my raws.

E: NM, it looks like OBS is just failing at recording WC3 at any 4:3 resolution in general. It doesn't like 1360x1024 or even 640x480. I guess I'm stuck with 16:9 unless anyone has any ideas.

I'm guessing that you don't have the game capture panel sized to 4:3 in your output. Click on Edit Scene, right click on the Game Capture, and then try Fit to Screen or Reset Size to see if those fix your issue. Alternatively, edit the Game Capture properties and uncheck/check "stretch image to screen" to see if that resolves your issue.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

berryjon posted:

The PlayRes values should not cause any resizing to happen, they only control how positioning coordinates, font sizes etc. are interpreted.
I'd really like to know what was going on there, because if you didn't do anything wrong it sounds like a bug in some of the software involved. (And I'm involved with some of that software.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

nielsm posted:

The PlayRes values should not cause any resizing to happen, they only control how positioning coordinates, font sizes etc. are interpreted.
I'd really like to know what was going on there, because if you didn't do anything wrong it sounds like a bug in some of the software involved. (And I'm involved with some of that software.)

Alright, here's my process:

1: Record Video in Lossless format at 800x600, 30FPS. This usually results in a double-triple digit GB file, so I make a single pass to create an MP4/AVI at 2500kbps. This reduces the file to a more manageable ~1 Gig in size. Perform cuts and gross edits as needed.
2: Make a new AegisSub file with the same name as the working video file. I have my video player set to automatically load subtitles from a .rear end file with the same name in the same folder for just this purpose.
3: Import the Video into the AegisSub File. Wait while it loads and checks out the still ~1 Gig video.
4: Start writing the subtitles. On the first line, adjust the location of the Subs to raise them up a little to make room for a second line if need be.
/\--- This should have flagged me, as the location of the subtitles was adjusted to {/pos(320,440)}, which is where I bottom-centered on a 640x480 video, but not on a 800x600 video. The actual position in video is supposed to be {/pos(400,520)}.
4a: Work through the whole video, rewinding and pausing when need be. Having the soft subs running in a separate player makes this pretty easy as I don't have to work with the tiny window built into AegisSub.
5: Close everything, making sure all work is saved.
6: Run VirtualDub again. Load the working video. Load the TextSub2.33 Filter, making sure that {\q3} for lower lines longer is checked, and open the saved .rear end file. Pick a couple random frames to check that everything is in position.
6a: Set video Compression to an x264 MPEG codec on a single pass (as all I'm doing is hard-encoding the Subs) to 1600kbps, and then click File > Save as AVI to save the final upload copy.

AFAICT, the problem seems to be in step 3.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did you check whether the encoded file was actually in a different resolution? From your description it sounds like the video file did not change pixel resolution at any time.
However the script resolution (PlayRes) was working as intended: It gives the resolution of the "virtual canvas" the subtitles are produced for. If the actual video resolution happens to be different from the script resolution, coordinate scaling is performed before subtitle rasterization, so there isn't any loss of quality. It's only the numbers used for font sizes, positioning etc. that are different.

It's not entirely true that script resolution can be anything and it scales correctly. First, things get weird if the width/height ratio of script and video resolution are different. Second, perspective rotations with the \frx and \fry tags behave differently depending on video resolution, especially when combined with \org rotation origin override. Unfortunately those things aren't fixable, but they are at least avoidable.

By the way TextSub 2.33 is ancient, and you shouldn't be forcing H.264 video into AVI files.

You can change the script resolution in Aegisub from Properties in the File menu, you can also change the default wrapping mode there.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 3, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So if I wanted to record PS3 over HDMI, would I want a powered HDMI splitter to do so or is there some better way to bypass the HDCP?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

So if I wanted to record PS3 over HDMI, would I want a powered HDMI splitter to do so or is there some better way to bypass the HDCP?

yeah that's all you need anything else would probably be excessive

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is there a use case for streaming which is possible only with XSplit?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Is there a use case for streaming which is possible only with XSplit?

Still being in a DirectX 9.0c environment either by having a videocard that doesn't support DX10 or still being in XP.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Major_JF posted:

Still being in a DirectX 9.0c environment either by having a videocard that doesn't support DX10 or still being in XP.
Alright, thanks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dryzen posted:

yeah that's all you need anything else would probably be excessive

Something like this would work then, right?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJOVIM4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_CwPQub17JVMZ5

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Yeah that looks like it will

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I'm running into a bit of an odd issue with subtitles. Now I've added subtitles to my avisynth scripts before and it's been fine, but for some reason when I'm trying to use them now they'll show up fine when I preview the script in MPC but attempting to view the script in Virtualdub, or encode the script, causes the subtitles to not appear anymore. Any idea what I could be loving up here?

This is the script I'm using for reference (and maybe masti can help me again with something I might be loving up on):
code:
import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MastiDS.avs")
raw= avisource("C:\Users\paul\Desktop\4133 - Nanashi no Game Me (JP)(Independent)_14_31433.avi")
raw= raw.ChangeFPS(30)
raw= trim(raw, 1454, 3022)
raw= TextSub(raw, "C:\Users\paul\Desktop\NanaMeSubTest.rear end")
raw

MDS_Set169WideScreen()

MDS_VertStack()

MDS_TopVSlide(raw, 0)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You should probably be adding the subtitles after all the DS video juggling, otherwise you are putting subtitles on the raw video, and the subtitles will also be cut and moved around by the DS video functions.

code:
import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MastiDS.avs")
raw= avisource("C:\Users\paul\Desktop\4133 - Nanashi no Game Me (JP)(Independent)_14_31433.avi")
raw= raw.ChangeFPS(30)
trim(raw, 1454, 3022)

MDS_Set169WideScreen()

MDS_VertStack()

MDS_TopVSlide(raw, 0)

TextSub("C:\Users\paul\Desktop\NanaMeSubTest.rear end")

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

nielsm posted:

You should probably be adding the subtitles after all the DS video juggling, otherwise you are putting subtitles on the raw video, and the subtitles will also be cut and moved around by the DS video functions.

Yes, this is where I would start. Also possibly trying something about using vobsub.dll or something? I think that's a thing that I used to do?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Hey so double technopost:

So, I've been messing with MDS type affairs - avisynth library of DS presentation type tools - like I said I probably would. I ended up going back and reworking the underbelly with stuff from that card engine, like building rotation support in from the get go, and adding in 'easing', which damps the movement/sizes at the start/end and makes the whole affair look a bit nicer, and just generally sprucing up a few things that were kind of nonsense/broken, like how it chose resize filters etc. I ended up splitting the behaviour in half, MDS and MTwn, for the DS specific and Tweening specific behaviour, and have tried to make the Tween side of things sufficiently DS agnostic that putting 3DS type screens wouldn't be a big deal. And by tried I mean I totally did that already and ported the layouts as best I could:

DS: 2x 256x192 - Basically the same as anyone familiar with this thing is used to.
3DS: 1x400x240, 1x320x240, based on what I think this is what you get when you have a 3DS capture card, and get an output something like this:

The main other thing I changed was you no longer need to supply raw as a param to every function, and am thinking of renaming some layouts to be less 'well I need a name for this one now...'. I also decided that I'm gonna suck it up and make it a github for it when I'm done, as well as perhaps split MTwn out when I'm done since it's useful on it's own for someone who wants a) a clip tweening engine and b) that whole 'remembering where you left stuff' thing that this whole deal is based off of that makes it so much easier to use. I'm probably not going to integrate the whole 'rendering everything into its own separate layer' thing from The T's card game video that would sit on top of it, since that uh, gets out of hand pretty dang quickly apparently. I'm using a custom position function to make the screens pivot around the center of the screen rather than the center of their clip, which seems to be generally fine, but wouldn't be appropriate for most other uses.

Anyway I guess, I mean I know a few people have used this for a variety of games in different capacities - the ones I can remember are, and I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Mario and Luigi RPG games (I know YamiNoSenshi used it and I think ChaosArgate is too based on the videos but not 100% sure), Nanashi no Game and Knights in the Nightmare. A lot of the features that got added have been based on things they needed/benefitted from, like the 'sometimes it needs to be rotated into book mode' effects of Bowser's Inside Story that ended up being useful for Niggurath in Nanashi no Game - I'd figured if a DS game was going to use the book mode, it would use it the whole time rather than swap between them, and fitting it in like that was probably not too hard. Otherwise I pretty much just guessed based on the few DS games I've played and pulled ideas out of my rear end.

However, I haven't played a single 3DS game, so, I'm really kind of guessing as to what would be useful to pack in for this fancy new 3DS functionality. I have a few ideas for a couple more regular DS layouts, ones that involve both screens vertically on one side, and a duplicate blown up to fill up the rest of the side of the screen, but, that isn't really going to fit together nicely for a 3DS at all, so beyond what I have already, I'm kinda out of ideas so I'm mainly fishing for them right now with this post. I also decided to make a 1600x960 (1708x960 for 16:9) blank area for moving the screen shots around in to get started with, so it's either 4x the top screen, or 5xbottom screens wide, 4x bottom screens tall like for the regular DS. I guess I'm also trying to think 'should I like, make the 3DS stuff support 1080p?' And how would I best go about doing that? Going nuts and outputting in 1440p would certainly be something.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just for clarity, I'm not using the library, I made a bunch of transitions in Premiere because I don't want to use AVIsynth for more than just piping an edited video into MeGUI.

Also I think you could upscale 3DS stuff by 5x to get 2000x1200 (2134x1200 for 16:9) if you want to clear the 1080p mark?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

ChaosArgate posted:

Just for clarity, I'm not using the library, I made a bunch of transitions in Premiere because I don't want to use AVIsynth for more than just piping an edited video into MeGUI.

Also I think you could upscale 3DS stuff by 5x to get 2000x1200 (2134x1200 for 16:9) if you want to clear the 1080p mark?

Fair dos, I thought maybe you weren't because of the 16:9 frame size and a bunch of layouts it doesn't ship with, but you've settled into pretty much just the vertically arranged screens since like the first episode and it's hard to tell when that's all you've got to go on - It certainly looks really good (especially with the move to 60 fps) - at the very least it's still 'this kind of things has actually been useful'. Out of curiosity, what's it been like to do this kind of thing in Premiere? I'd hope 'not a giant pain in the rear end'.

Anyway, generally, I would avoid 5x multiples because is that it doesn't offer you the same protection from chroma subsampling that 4x/6x do. I guess though in my experience there were quite a lot of pixel games on the DS that'd benefit from staunch devotion to integer multiples and point resizes, I don't know if the 3DS has the same kind of thing going on or if it's mostly all rendered 3D where this won't make a lot of difference. Point Resizes like 4x vs 6x haven't usually made dramatic differences wrt bitrate required for constant quality in my experience, so, really the big loss with going to 5 or 6x will be that previewing it at 100% will be basically impossible for anyone, as well as probably use more ram and maybe be a bit more computationally intensive for the transition effects.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The frame size thing from the second episode on was just me being lazy/giving myself the option to push the screen to the side if I want to show something in the sidebar or something ahead of time. The same goes with the 60 fps, because the original emulator recordings are 60 fps, I kept them as such throughout to save myself the headache of lowering it. I thought I'd be doing a side-by-side layout more, but I realized I'd be scaling by non-integer amounts and I didn't want that.

Doing the transitions and stuff in Premiere isn't all that bad, you just have to define a few motion presets that handle the screen scaling and after that, you just have to make small cuts and apply the transition presets to clips of about 30 frames for a quick transition between viewing modes. It also helps to have presets defining the view for just the top screen and one for the bottom. If anyone's interested, I could probably make a guide later tonight or over the weekend or something.

Also, why doesn't 5x resizing protect like 4x and 6x do? Seems a bit weird that the one integer between the two just doesn't. And for 3DS scaling, not all games are fully rendered 3D. Fire Emblem, for example, spends more time showing the player sprites than 3D models, whereas Ocarina of Time is entirely 3D.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Also, why doesn't 5x resizing protect like 4x and 6x do? Seems a bit weird that the one integer between the two just doesn't. And for 3DS scaling, not all games are fully rendered 3D. Fire Emblem, for example, spends more time showing the player sprites than 3D models, whereas Ocarina of Time is entirely 3D.

Because of chroma subsampling. All video format in common use only store chroma (color nuance) for every 2x2 pixels, only the luma (brightness) is stored at full resolution.
Because the chroma is at half resolution in both directions, if you pixel resize something by a non-even factor such as 5, you will get color bleeding at the edges of pixels.

There are also the codec macroblocks to take into consideration, for H.264 they can be 4, 8 or 16 pixels each side. This means that 4x scaling will typically also look better than 6x.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

ChaosArgate posted:

Also, why doesn't 5x resizing protect like 4x and 6x do? Seems a bit weird that the one integer between the two just doesn't.

Because YUV only stores chroma at half resolution. Sort of.

One of the nifty things about human eyesight is that it sees black and white (luma) better than it sees color (chroma). I'm vastly oversimplifying, but basically, instead of storing a full RGB pixel for every single pixel, you can instead store the brightness (Y) for every pixel and then the color (UV) at a reduced resolution - say, half. In a lot of cases, the human eye can't really tell the difference. Instances where there are sharp color transitions (like pixel art) are the exception. These occur very rarely in "photographic" imagery.

So for a 640x480 video, the brightness might be stored as 640x480 frames while the color is stored at only 320x240. This works great for "photographic" imagery but breaks down for pixel art. By only scaling at even integers, you ensure that each pixel in the source image has only its color stored in the final frame and you don't have to worry about its color being split between multiple pixels.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
So I have a bit of a problem recording Red Alert 2. At this point, it seems unrecordable.

I'm using OBS, but the game only runs in full screen, and the resolutions are odd. It doesn't show up in the Game Capture option, and when I try monitor or window capture, it basically records into the upper left corner. I've tried stretching it out in post editing, but because its an older game, it makes it look like crap.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So I have a bit of a problem recording Red Alert 2. At this point, it seems unrecordable.

I'm using OBS, but the game only runs in full screen, and the resolutions are odd. It doesn't show up in the Game Capture option, and when I try monitor or window capture, it basically records into the upper left corner. I've tried stretching it out in post editing, but because its an older game, it makes it look like crap.

Any suggestions?
It seems there are a few options of getting the game to run in windowed mode; have you tried any of those hackey things? Also have you tried any other programs to record the game like Fraps?