Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

19 o'clock posted:

Truth. When I perform weddings I'm the first to arrive and last to leave. I always make sure to snag a solid lunch before kicking the day off. I pack a "go bag" with things I may need during the day and for others, too. Deodorant, sunblock, cologne, toothbrush/toothpaste, clothing bits, and of course food. Usually it's a couple granola bars but man, sometimes I start to fade after setup is finished and dinner is a ways off.

Edit: Gum, too, especially. People come up and ask for things like this all the time during the reception.

After I was man of honor for my best friend (twice actually because the first real wedding was rush done and hidden from the family) I always tell people in a position of responsibility at a wedding to carry a Tide pen. Seriously...first wedding she dripped some red wine on the wedding dress and second wedding he cut himself shaving and got some blood on his tuxedo shirt.

Now on to my question for some advice...my wedding is in October and we want to send out save the dates at the end of January/beginning February and then the invites at the end of may/beginning of June. We are catching a lot of slack from people that we are doing both of these "too early". Is this too early? I don't want to be chasing people last minute because I hate being rushed for things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Writer Cath posted:

Here's a short one.

Wedding Planner: Oh hey, since the groom's family is paying for everything, you don't need to take pictures of the bride's family.

Me: :stare:

That's amazing. I wanna watch this wedding planner in action.

I just get done speaking with the bride about doing the cake cutting after two more songs. Immediately after she leaves the booth to do more dancing, the venue contact comes up to say that "We need to delay the cake cutting as long as possible. It fell over."

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

19 o'clock posted:

That's amazing. I wanna watch this wedding planner in action.

I just get done speaking with the bride about doing the cake cutting after two more songs. Immediately after she leaves the booth to do more dancing, the venue contact comes up to say that "We need to delay the cake cutting as long as possible. It fell over."

My fiancé would have a melt down if her cake fell over...how exactly did this end?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Instead of cake, we are thinking of doing a pastry tower of donuts.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So where are people shopping for bridesmaid's dresses? I'm helping out a bride friend & putting together a packet of potential options. I've already got David's in the packet, along with an etsy seller I like, but what else is there? Preferably they would have options for fabric swatches so the maids can go out shopping with the swatch & find a dress that goes along but isn't necessarily from the selected seller.

Edit: I guess I should also mention that I think David's pretty much has to be the worst possible option because of all the horror stories I've heard & the price point, but I feel like you have to put it on the list. Does anyone know anything about JJshouse.com? I'm poking around the site but a personal rec (or warning against them) would be helpful.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 5, 2015

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

OssiansFolly posted:

My fiancé would have a melt down if her cake fell over...how exactly did this end?

I think they pulled it off. Despite my two song warning I keep playing music until the venue gives me my next cue. I remember this part because it's a memorable song. I am playing "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO. It's popular as hell and perfect for this wedding's demographic.

Venue contact comes screaming over and says, "Okay! We are go! Let's do the cake cutting!"

I respond, "Sounds good! Let me wrap this song and we'll cut the cake."

Urgently, he says, "No! We need to do it RIGHT NOW. The cake is falling over again!"

So I kill the song right in the middle of a chorus and make the announcement that it's time to cut the cake. People look at me kind of funny regarding killing a track mid-song, but then we're on to the cake cutting. I didn't hear anything more about it past that so I imagine it went alright. I'm told they opened up the fridge and the cake was on it's side. The pastry chef got it to a presentable state but it was still trying to crumble and hence the quick call for cake cutting.

Another wedding the videographer came to see me during dinner. He had forgotten to hit "record" on his audio recorder for the ceremony. He was hoping I had recorded the audio. I had not. I feel bad but it also wasn't part of my job. I now do my best to make sure videographers are recording everything.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Nicol Bolas posted:

So where are people shopping for bridesmaid's dresses? I'm helping out a bride friend & putting together a packet of potential options. I've already got David's in the packet, along with an etsy seller I like, but what else is there? Preferably they would have options for fabric swatches so the maids can go out shopping with the swatch & find a dress that goes along but isn't necessarily from the selected seller.

Alfred Angelo is another choice.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

19 o'clock posted:

I think they pulled it off. Despite my two song warning I keep playing music until the venue gives me my next cue. I remember this part because it's a memorable song. I am playing "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO. It's popular as hell and perfect for this wedding's demographic.

Venue contact comes screaming over and says, "Okay! We are go! Let's do the cake cutting!"

I respond, "Sounds good! Let me wrap this song and we'll cut the cake."

Urgently, he says, "No! We need to do it RIGHT NOW. The cake is falling over again!"

So I kill the song right in the middle of a chorus and make the announcement that it's time to cut the cake. People look at me kind of funny regarding killing a track mid-song, but then we're on to the cake cutting. I didn't hear anything more about it past that so I imagine it went alright. I'm told they opened up the fridge and the cake was on it's side. The pastry chef got it to a presentable state but it was still trying to crumble and hence the quick call for cake cutting.

Another wedding the videographer came to see me during dinner. He had forgotten to hit "record" on his audio recorder for the ceremony. He was hoping I had recorded the audio. I had not. I feel bad but it also wasn't part of my job. I now do my best to make sure videographers are recording everything.

Found out later that this is absolutely hilarious uncut. We were making fun of people and drinking Scotch before a friend's wedding, and when they got the full uncut video/audio we realized the whole hour or two before the ceremony he was mic'd.

So yea...careful what you say Brides and Grooms (and friends standing near them)...

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

OssiansFolly posted:

Found out later that this is absolutely hilarious uncut.

Heh - whoops! At the same time, though, people are usually really stiff/nervouse during weddings. If they can cut loose and relax a little bit I'm all in favor.

I always offer my services, free of charge, to voice over the entire ceremony if all else fails.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Apollodorus posted:

Instead of cake, we are thinking of doing a pastry tower of donuts.

I opted for donuts instead of a traditional grooms cake. It was a great decision as I usually hate most grooms cakes. They were from my favorite local donut place, got a pretty good deal on them with delivery to the venue as well. The only problem we ran into was we didn't have them in any sort of arrangement, so they were out on display on platters by the wedding cake and people just helped themselves to them when they got to the venue. 200 donuts nearly all vanished before me and my wife could finish eating our food in the private room.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

OssiansFolly posted:

Now on to my question for some advice...my wedding is in October and we want to send out save the dates at the end of January/beginning February and then the invites at the end of may/beginning of June. We are catching a lot of slack from people that we are doing both of these "too early". Is this too early? I don't want to be chasing people last minute because I hate being rushed for things.

Yeah, that's too early. I'm busy, my wife was busy, all of our friends are busy, and it was basically a guarantee that people would be booked for travel if we waited too long... but that meant the Save the Dates for an October wedding went out in March, and the invites went out early July. Our friends are bonded to their calendars; if you have a more typical group then the consequence of sending out invites that early is chasing down every RSVP and dealing with cancellations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My bridesmaids dresses were Bill Levkoff, they're sold in most bridal shops and have a poo poo ton of styles and colors and are pretty good quality. Alfred Angelo is another good one. Most bridal shops will have books of fabric swatches available and will usually cut off a piece for you to take with you to get matching shoes and stuff.

There's also https://www.weddingtonway.com that is a giant conglomerate of pretty much every bridesmaids dress out there, and it looks like it's rolling out a bridesmaids dress rental section. They can get a little spammy but not as bad as DB.

David's Bridal is terrible. They sell your information to EVERYONE so enjoy wedding spam and phone calls for the rest of your life.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Posted this in the wrong place earlier today and someone pointed me toward this thread. I need to buy an engagement ring, and I have no idea what in the blue hell I'm doing.

Question One: my girlfriend is traditional-minded and has made it clear that she wants a diamond, but I resent the hell out of the diamond industry for reasons which everyone here is undoubtedly 100% familiar with. I've been looking into Canadian diamonds as a semi-compromise, and I've found that BrilliantEarth is quite expensive. Blue Nile is (somewhat) less so but still seems legit; anyone here happen to know if they're reputable?

Question two: I know basically jack poo poo about diamonds in general but I'm operating under the assumption that stuff like clarity and color don't really make much difference to the appearance of the diamond unless you are an expert jewelry person using one of those jeweler magnifier monocles, and that you can therefore make compromises on those (to a point -- let's say "Good" cut, VS2 clarity, and I color as a baseline?) to bring down the price a little while still getting a decent-sized rock. Am I being naive, or talking out of my rear end, or some other word for being stupid, and will this policy get me stuck with an ugly ring?

Question three: Based on this chart I found on good old Honest Internet I've gotten the impression that anything under .75 carats or so is Too Small. Is that a good rule of thumb or am I throwing too much of my money away on making sure the shiny rock I'm purchasing is slightly larger than other shiny rocks?

Basically I'm attempting to spend vast quantities of money to purchase a grossly overpriced trinket in order to enact a major life-changing decision, and due to the gravity of the latter and my own crippling neurosis I'm overthinking and generally freaking out over the former. send help pls

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Got the proposal from the photographer I want to book today! Gonna drop a retainer on her next Friday when I get paid next. This is really happening! Now the only thing left are the rings, wish me luck because I have no idea what I want.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

loquacius posted:

Posted this in the wrong place earlier today and someone pointed me toward this thread. I need to buy an engagement ring, and I have no idea what in the blue hell I'm doing.

Question One: my girlfriend is traditional-minded and has made it clear that she wants a diamond, but I resent the hell out of the diamond industry for reasons which everyone here is undoubtedly 100% familiar with. I've been looking into Canadian diamonds as a semi-compromise, and I've found that BrilliantEarth is quite expensive. Blue Nile is (somewhat) less so but still seems legit; anyone here happen to know if they're reputable?

Question two: I know basically jack poo poo about diamonds in general but I'm operating under the assumption that stuff like clarity and color don't really make much difference to the appearance of the diamond unless you are an expert jewelry person using one of those jeweler magnifier monocles, and that you can therefore make compromises on those (to a point -- let's say "Good" cut, VS2 clarity, and I color as a baseline?) to bring down the price a little while still getting a decent-sized rock. Am I being naive, or talking out of my rear end, or some other word for being stupid, and will this policy get me stuck with an ugly ring?

Question three: Based on this chart I found on good old Honest Internet I've gotten the impression that anything under .75 carats or so is Too Small. Is that a good rule of thumb or am I throwing too much of my money away on making sure the shiny rock I'm purchasing is slightly larger than other shiny rocks?

Basically I'm attempting to spend vast quantities of money to purchase a grossly overpriced trinket in order to enact a major life-changing decision, and due to the gravity of the latter and my own crippling neurosis I'm overthinking and generally freaking out over the former. send help pls

Did you read the OP? Most of the "conflict free" and decent places to buy diamonds are listed there.

You can kind of skimp on color, cut and clarity a bit...what cut you get will help determine how much harder it is to notice those things with the naked eye.

As far as size...I've seen stunning half carat diamond rings and I've seen lovely 2 carat diamond rings, so that is going to really fall on how good the jeweler is if you ask me.

If your, hopefully, soon-to-be fiancé is all about this piece of jewelry it may be better to propose with a simple band and have her pick out the ring. If you fear she will go all Ludacris on the ring and want something in the 40G range then you are kind of stuck. It is all going to depend on how you guys as a couple handle financial stuff IMO.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

loquacius posted:

Engagement ring stuff

Purchasing a ring, especially if you're going for a traditional diamond can be incredibly daunting, but once you realize that they're essentially a standardized product with a defined set of measurements, it's a lot easier to shop around and figure out what you want. I'm sure you've seen the "4 C's of diamonds" somewhere since you've already been looking:

1) Cut (Fair, Good, Ideal, Super Ideal, etc.)
2) Carat (Straightforward weight)
3) Color (Basically how yellow to "white" the diamond is, also have fancy colors)
4) Clarity (Inclusions, ranging from cloudy spots to straight up black mineral inclusions)

Of course you also have the cut style (e.g. Brilliant, Princess, Oval, Cushion, etc). There's also a few other odds and ends, like florescence. Florescence can basically be an afterthought unless your wife-to-be is some kind of raver who spends a lot of times under black lights.

A good place to start out is to set your ballpark budget. Do you want to spend $500, $5,000, $50,000? Then prioritize what you think your fiance wants from the ring itself and try and find a diamond and setting within that budget that fits your SO's "priorities". If she wants a big stone, then you might have to sacrifice color for carat or what have you. Personally though I think Cut is most important. If you see them in person, a Good quality cut pales in comparison to an Ideal, because half of a diamond's appeal is it's fire and brilliance. You get that from light bouncing around the internal geometry of the cut gem, and the more exact the gem cutter gets those angles, the better the effect. Here's a decent video that compares a "Very Good" and "Excellent/Ideal" cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh5SH5fg3I

As you can see it's a subtle but noticeable difference. I ended up going with a Very Good instead of an Excellent/Ideal and that's the only real regret I have.

loquacius posted:

Based on this chart I found on good old Honest Internet I've gotten the impression that anything under .75 carats or so is Too Small. Is that a good rule of thumb or am I throwing too much of my money away on making sure the shiny rock I'm purchasing is slightly larger than other shiny rocks?

This is entirely dependent on what your SO is looking for. Diamonds can very much be a "quantity versus quality" thing. Some women want a big rear end diamond and don't care if it's yellow or has an "inferior" cut. Others want something that's more subdued. Some want Tiffany-type settings that stick up, others want the stones set a bit lower so it doesn't catch on stuff. This is personal bias, but I think a smaller high quality stone with a ideal cut looks a load better than a bigger, mediocre quality one.

As to whether 0.75 carats is "too small", I think that's a kind of a bad metric. See them in person. I was all about getting a 1 carat stone (because the marketing tells you that's "the standard") until I started looking at sizes and prices. In the end I ended up going with a 0.5 carat, very good cut diamond with better than average color and clarity. The setting is palladium and has another 0.25 carats of diamond in it. Here is a terrible quality photo from before my wife got the ring resized (the band is a little big):

Personally it looked way more proportional and elegant than a 1 carat stone. I paid about $2400 for the whole ring from Brilliant Earth. Probably could have gone cheaper, but could have done a lot worse. Instead of dropping another few thousand dollars on that extra half carat of weight, I instead used the money to take us on a month-long road trip out west and proposed along the way. We now not only have a handsome ring but a bunch of life experiences and a neat proposal story. It's all about opportunity cost.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 7, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

loquacius posted:

Brilliant earth owns. I went there and maybe spent a bit too much, but I really really like their customer service. Their ring settings are also excellent. Unfortunately yeah they're expensive as gently caress :smith:.

For question 2) It comes down to budget, but I'd really try and get at least an SI2 diamond.

For what it's worth I went with a .70 carot diamond and it's absolutely perfect. I don't get this whole big fat halo ring trend thats going on right now, but a "small" diamond can look really nice on a good setting. Look at stuff in person and get an idea.

If you have any weird personal/money questions feel free to PM me. My fiance's dad is a silversmith/goldsmith and he helped me pick out a diamond based on my budget. I freaked out a lot about budget when I was picking out a ring.

Also Don't follow the bullshit "2 months pay" budget thing either.

Also also buy the wedding ring with the engagement ring at the same time. It'll save you a headache in the future if the engagement ring is supposed to fit the ring's shape. I had to mail out her ring to brilliant earth, and while it was relatively painless in the end, it still sucked to mail something that valuable and not have it for 2 weeks.

E: Also also also I've been told color matters less and less the smaller the diamond is. I went with like, J color or something which I don't think is particularly good but you really can't tell unless you're a diamond appraiser.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 7, 2015

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
When it came to buying the ring I found it easiest to find a good jeweler in town and just look at what they had. I went to the place my sister goes to and bought a nice setting as then bought s diamond that someone had sold back when they wanted to upgrade to a larger one, he made me a good deal on it and I ended up getting a larger diamond that was within my budget.

I am all about buying stuff online but buying a diamond just didn't seem like something I wanted to get off the internet, but that's just me.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

loquacius posted:

If you don't want to buy a natural diamond then don't do it. There are plenty of other options like laboratory grown diamonds, colored gems, fracture filled diamonds, etc.

If you still want to go with a diamond then go look at some in person. See how the colors and clarities stack up against each other. Nothing compares to seeing six diamonds lined up in a row.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm thinking a lot of my questions w/r/t color could be answered pretty well by just going and looking at some rings. Are jewelry stores usually okay with people making "research" trips? Is the tint of, say, an I-color diamond visible to a casual observer if you're using a white gold band?

Thanks for the tips, everyone -- I'm emphasizing cut in my searches right now, and am trying to make up the difference on other stuff (current baselines are SI1 quality and I color). Found a decent rock on Blue Nile; looking around at a couple other places online before I go doing anything rash, hopefully with better-quality images.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

loquacius posted:

Yeah I'm thinking a lot of my questions w/r/t color could be answered pretty well by just going and looking at some rings. Are jewelry stores usually okay with people making "research" trips? Is the tint of, say, an I-color diamond visible to a casual observer if you're using a white gold band?

Generally you have to treat jewelry stores like car dealerships. ( :iiaca: ) The clerks are salespeople. They're not your buddies. Go in like you're looking to buy, even though you're not. Get the information you need, have them show you a few things. They'll try to get you to give up your price range, but don't do it, and don't tell them it's "just for research". A good store might help you out, but it's hard to say without getting to know the place. Just say that you're looking for the right stone and want to compare a few. Just don't let them talk you into something you don't want to buy.

quote:

Thanks for the tips, everyone -- I'm emphasizing cut in my searches right now, and am trying to make up the difference on other stuff (current baselines are SI1 quality and I color). Found a decent rock on Blue Nile; looking around at a couple other places online before I go doing anything rash, hopefully with better-quality images.

Seeing it in person is good, but don't be too afraid to buy online sight unseen. If it's a reputable dealer (Blue Nile, Brilliant Earth, etc.) then as I said the grades are standardized. If you're not buying a giant rock anything SI1 or VS2 or better is going to be so small you can't ever see it unless you're looking at it under a microscope.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

loquacius posted:

My fiance got my ring from Satomi Kawakita, and it's lovely, was reasonably priced (although I also wanted a small diamond so ymmv on that point), and she only uses conflict free diamonds. Everyone in her studio was also really nice to work with (we went to NYC to look at the rings in person).

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 7, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Whatever you do

don't buy something like this http://imgur.com/LpW0RTY

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Whatever you do

don't buy something like this http://imgur.com/LpW0RTY

I kind of want to get a set of four of those and put together some Engagement Brass Knuckles :allears:

I found a link somewhere to James Allen, which has really high-quality images of their diamonds, and I've found a couple really good-value ones there too, but there's not really source info, as opposed to Blue Nile which let me shop exclusively for Canadian diamonds. If nothing else, getting a good idea of what an H-, I-, or J-color diamond looks like was a lot easier to do with James Allen as a resource.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

LogisticEarth posted:

Generally you have to treat jewelry stores like car dealerships. ( :iiaca: ) The clerks are salespeople. They're not your buddies. Go in like you're looking to buy, even though you're not. Get the information you need, have them show you a few things. They'll try to get you to give up your price range, but don't do it, and don't tell them it's "just for research". A good store might help you out, but it's hard to say without getting to know the place. Just say that you're looking for the right stone and want to compare a few. Just don't let them talk you into something you don't want to buy.

Seeing it in person is good, but don't be too afraid to buy online sight unseen. If it's a reputable dealer (Blue Nile, Brilliant Earth, etc.) then as I said the grades are standardized. If you're not buying a giant rock anything SI1 or VS2 or better is going to be so small you can't ever see it unless you're looking at it under a microscope.

You'll also have MUCH better luck at an ACTUAL jeweler instead of one of those retail jewelry stores. Find a local jeweler with an actual artist that makes the pieces and the quality and experience will be a TON better than walking to a Kay, Sterling, Jared's, etc.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

Totally agreed. When my partner & I went in, I said that we were just looking at settings and carat sizes and how they looked on my finger, and that there was potentially a grandmother's diamond we might want to have re-set for me. There wasn't, but it ensured they didn't really push for the hard sell, because they knew I wasn't going to buy today. It's potentially a useful move if the salesfolk are pushing you to throw down a deposit on something.

And yeah, gently caress Jared's, gently caress Kay, those places are horrible.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I went to two local jewelers with a rough price range, that is really the only thing you need to know going in. The first guy showed me like 4 diamonds around my range, explained the 4 c's etc. I told him I still needed to look around so what he did was write quotes for 2 of the diamonds on the back of a card and let me know he could hold that price over the weekend. No pressure, super informative, and no upselling. I didn't buy from them, but I liked them enough I got a watch there a few months later.

Right after that I went to another small jeweler and same thing, just started with a price. I will say when I saw my fiances diamond, it blew my socks off. Why? It was E color and hearts of fire cut. I thought the G and H Color at the first place looked good, but I really think Color and Cut are where your money should go. Next was size, she wanted a solitaire i coughed up the $ for 1.32. Clarity is last, It was either SI1 or 2, but even the imperfections right below the surface aren't noticeable.

I got the ring at the same time and held on to it set for 3 weeks. Every other day or so I'd look at the drat thing...very good looking. So that's my 2 cents!!

Oh ya I will say I looked at James Allen first, and thought i was in love with a J diamond. Once I saw an actual H and I, in was surprised vs. How it looked online, so researching in stores is good just so you have a better understanding.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 8, 2015

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
My fiancée is going away to teach in China for two months. She wants to take her engagement ring with her, but doesn't want to run the risk of losing it/having it stolen. We've discussed getting a cheap (read: <$100) substitute for her to wear while she's there. Any suggestions on where to look/what to look for? Her ring is a solitaire, so she might like to get something that looks similar, but I'm not 100% sure.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks for all your help, guys -- I ended up going with an ideal, .75-carat, H-color, SI1 Canadian diamond from Blue Nile. Stoked for it to arrive :)

I'll keep those tips in mind RE local jewelers when it comes time to buy wedding bands (knock wood cross fingers etc)

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Ayem posted:

My fiancée is going away to teach in China for two months. She wants to take her engagement ring with her, but doesn't want to run the risk of losing it/having it stolen. We've discussed getting a cheap (read: <$100) substitute for her to wear while she's there. Any suggestions on where to look/what to look for? Her ring is a solitaire, so she might like to get something that looks similar, but I'm not 100% sure.

If it were me, I'd go to a pawn/consignment/antique shop and buy a cheap (potentially but not always fake) ring that is nothing like my real engagement ring. She's never going to want to wear the lesser engagement ring on a regular basis (unless you live in a really bad area or something) and if you get something totally different, she may want to wear it on the other hand occasionally as a fashion piece. You could go for a colored stone, or something really over the top and flashy, just take her along and let her pick it out.

spbwf7
Nov 1, 2012
Beginning to plan to propose, but I am unsure for what to get for the engagement ring, and was wondering if fellow goons have some advice. I would like to get a nice ring, there are some hangups. Mostly I'm wondering if it is a major faux pas for the engagement ring to be just a band. Current finances make it inconvenient to get a ring with a gemstone given initial research.

Additionally, girlfriend is currently pursuing PhD in Biology so the ring can't have particularly sharp or pokey bits that would compromise latex gloves so that she doesn't need to worry about taking the ring off/keeping track of it in lab. Any advice?

e: girlfriend assures me that she doesn't particularly care either way, but I'm unsure about her family's response, and I would rather things go smoothly because she is close with her family.

spbwf7 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 9, 2015

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

spbwf7 posted:

Beginning to plan to propose, but I am unsure for what to get for the engagement ring, and was wondering if fellow goons have some advice. I would like to get a nice ring, there are some hangups. Mostly I'm wondering if it is a major faux pas for the engagement ring to be just a band. Current finances make it inconvenient to get a ring with a gemstone given initial research.

Additionally, girlfriend is currently pursuing PhD in Biology so the ring can't have particularly sharp or pokey bits that would compromise latex gloves so that she doesn't need to worry about taking the ring off/keeping track of it in lab. Any advice?

Ring prongs are usually rounded over after setting so they aren't a problem. I have a lot of experience in this and trust me when I say the gloves are strong enough that ring prongs don't compromise them.

Talk it over with your girlfriend. If she's cool with a band then go with a band. A band studded with small bezel set diamonds is usually a good compromise and not too pricey.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My wedding band has inset diamonds on the top, but it keeps twisting around so you can't even see them and I kinda wish I'd gotten a plain band instead. Don't do inset gems unless they're the full 360 (and you'll need the exact size before you order since they can't be resized).

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ayem posted:

Pay the <$100/yr to insure it. Then it won't matter where she is or what happens to it the insurance will cover it for a full replacement. You should really have it insured on an Inland Marine/Personal Articles policy anyways...

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

OssiansFolly posted:

Pay the <$100/yr to insure it. Then it won't matter where she is or what happens to it the insurance will cover it for a full replacement. You should really have it insured on an Inland Marine/Personal Articles policy anyways...

Yeah, that's an option, getting extra insurance on it. I'll talk it over with her, see what we come up with.

Meow Cadet posted:

If it were me, I'd go to a pawn/consignment/antique shop and buy a cheap (potentially but not always fake) ring that is nothing like my real engagement ring. She's never going to want to wear the lesser engagement ring on a regular basis (unless you live in a really bad area or something) and if you get something totally different, she may want to wear it on the other hand occasionally as a fashion piece. You could go for a colored stone, or something really over the top and flashy, just take her along and let her pick it out.

Hadn't thought about pawn shops or antique stores, good idea. Thanks!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ayem posted:

Yeah, that's an option, getting extra insurance on it. I'll talk it over with her, see what we come up with.

Hadn't thought about pawn shops or antique stores, good idea. Thanks!

Regardless of the trip...seriously talk to an insurance guy about Inland Marine/Personal Articles coverage. Normally your ring is only covered for things that would fall under your home policy and typically there are limits and deductibles. If you schedule the piece on one of the policies I mentioned it will be covered for anything and anywhere...as an agent I have heard all the excuses, losses or examples you could possibly think of for what happened to someone's ring (stone fell out, dropped in garbage disposal, lost on water slide, fell off finger after flicking cigarette out window, etc etc etc...)

My fiancé lost her stone down the drain 3 months ago on a ring that was barely 1 year old. Luckily I paid that $65 last year and we had a new stone in 15 days.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
To anyone looking at Brilliant Earth for jewelry, I discovered that they have physical store fronts in SF and LA. Last weekend I went to their LA office and picked out my wedding band. It was a little pricey but very unique and their store has some amazing (read: so expensive you'd need a 24/7 security detail to wear in public) jewelry. I wish I had know about them before I bought the engagement ring!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Wife is a biologist with a fairly prominent pronged solitaire setting. I did make sure to not get pointy prongs, but gloves are totally fine, so don't feel locked into bezel settings or anything.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
To go back to an earlier subject for a moment, I had told my s/o that I didn't like the solitaire stones raised up off the band. I wanted some inlaid stones because I don't typically wear jewelry and I was afraid a raised stone with prongs would catch on everything and I'd always be paranoid about breaking, scratching or losing the ring or stone.

When he proposed he gave me a ring with a raised solitaire setting and while it was pretty, I was a little worried. But after wearing it a month or so I totally got used to it and I absolutely love it now. I'd never change it because it's something he picked out for me and it really does fit my style. I had just been hesitant about it feeling bulky and cumbersome on my hand. Now while I don't wear it to my job stocking a retail store doing manual work, I do wear it for pretty much everything else and I adore it.

So what I'm getting at is you should always feel you can talk to your partner about anything troubling, don't be too quick to say you hate the ring if it's not exactly what you had in mind. Sometimes things will grow on you.

And here's my ring because I love to show it off.
I took my grandmother's wedding band to a local Jeweler and they were able to put some little diamonds into her plain band to make it match the engagement ring my husband gave me. I absolutely love the pair and how it all turned out. I wouldn't change a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

That is a beautiful set, looks like they were made for each other.