Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

The King of Swag posted:

I go to work for my uncle on Monday. The whole reason for getting into this is that my uncle runs his own trucking company, but he wants to retire, so he wants his kids and my brother and I to get involved in it and eventually take over. His company hauls gravel locally in the LA basin and surrounding area, so I fortunately won't have to do any over the road trucking. Based on what my cousin-in-law is making right now (he got his CDL in ~August) and what my uncle says about the job, I'm pretty excited for it.

Honestly, the only reason I originally considered joining my uncle after he gave us the offer, is that both my brother and I have had a ton of trouble getting hired into our respective fields. When my last real prospect fell through, I said to hell to it and told my uncle I wanted to take up his offer. Of course, now that I've actually gone through the training and learned more about it from him, I wish I had gotten involved sooner.

loving rock haulers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InterceptorV8 posted:

That and the fact nobody will give me a straight loving answer about pay.

This sounds like trucking in a nutshell. I've never seen pay rates and job responsibilities so widely falsified*, stretched, spindled, folded, and mutilated before.

* in completely non binding marketing/recruiting copy, naturally.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

some texas redneck posted:

tl;dr if I'm going to be delivering poo poo, I may as well get paid to use a company vehicle, instead of using my own car.

Look into Hotshotting if you live in Texas.

No CDL and you can haul rear end.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kastein posted:

This sounds like trucking in a nutshell. I've never seen pay rates and job responsibilities so widely falsified*, stretched, spindled, folded, and mutilated before.

* in completely non binding marketing/recruiting copy, naturally.
"Earn up to $$$$$"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

CannonFodder posted:

"Earn up to $$$$$"

On that same note: Up to 50ç or more is a pretty broad range

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

from 0-Infinity really

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Even then, they have their tricks.

50 cents a mile!*

*loaded miles
*pre-determined mileage for inter-city routes
*miles not paid intra-city
*nautical mile

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 6, 2015

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Even then, they have their tricks.

50 cents a mile!*

*loaded miles
*pre-determined mileage for intra-city routes
*miles not paid intra-city
*nautical mile

Up to 50 cents a mile!*

*loads 1 to 2 miles pays 50 cents a mile

2-20,000 miles pays 20 cents a mile.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://www.cohenandmalad.com/news/court-rules-celadon-must-face-claims-millions-dollars-improper-withholdings-drivers-compensation/

quote:

A Marion Superior Court ruled that Celadon Trucking Services, Inc. must respond in court to a class action lawsuit seeking the return of millions of dollars in improper withholdings from the compensation of independent owner-operator drivers of long-haul trucks. The lawsuit, filed last October by Indianapolis law firm Cohen & Malad, LLP, is requesting that Celadon return the improper compensation withholdings to the drivers. On March 11, the Marion Superior Court denied Celadon’s motion for judgment on the pleadings, meaning that Celadon must face the claims raised by the lawsuit and proceed with producing evidence.

The class action lawsuit alleges that Celadon breached its Lease Agreement with the drivers by deducting from the drivers’ compensation more in fuel charges than Celadon paid to Pilot Flying J for those fuel charges because, unbeknownst to the drivers, Celadon had a deal with Pilot Flying J that Celadon would only pay a lower “discount price” for fuel purchased by the drivers. The lawsuit also alleges that despite only paying Pilot Flying J the lower discount price for the fuel, Celadon withheld from the drivers’ compensation the higher price “pump price” of the fuel.

Oh boy, here we go again!

Eligibility:
You are eligible if you entered into a Contractor Operating Agreement with an effective date between October 1, 2003, and January 31, 2014; and you used a card issued by Comdata to purchase diesel fuel at a Pilot Flying J truck stop.

11 loving years of backpay on fuel surcharges? Pilot II Electric Fuckaroo.

PS if this clears, you'll see a shitload more of these suits going though, and then they'll go after the fuel surcharge lawsuits. I hope this brings more companies to their knees.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Being in TN I was hoping to see Haslam get more egg on his face from that one but what can I say, I guess it's lumped into my wishes for mermaids to be real.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
I feel like I should get a cowboy hat. I don't know why.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CannonFodder posted:

"Earn up to $$$$$"

* our best driver with 19 million miles and no accidents makes this much
* on runs entirely consisting of "driver unloads" bulk grocery and livestock
* in the inner city
* overnight runs and weekends only
* pay rate is per team, after 1 year service anniversary
* 3 drivers per team

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I almost squish'd someone last night, but it has a happy ending... for me anyway...
http://youtu.be/Onff3gYwvnI

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

0rganDonor posted:

I almost squish'd someone last night, but it has a happy ending... for me anyway...

It seems they had just watched The Duel.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

Oh that poor car.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://www.cohenandmalad.com/news/court-rules-celadon-must-face-claims-millions-dollars-improper-withholdings-drivers-compensation/

Eligibility:
You are eligible if you entered into a Contractor Operating Agreement with an effective date between October 1, 2003, and January 31, 2014; and you used a card issued by Comdata to purchase diesel fuel at a Pilot Flying J truck stop.

PS if this clears, you'll see a shitload more of these suits going though, and then they'll go after the fuel surcharge lawsuits. I hope this brings more companies to their knees.

Is this common with trucking companies? That is loving terrible.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Gorson posted:

Is this common with trucking companies? That is loving terrible.

I don't know a trucking outfit that passes the correct fuel savings AND complete fuel surcharge onto it's O/O, or lease drivers.

Like I can ask some of the guys here that broker, they'll poo poo out a number, I can walk into any company and ask about their lease program fuel surcharge, they'll poo poo out a completely different number (around 10 cents LESS than what they are collecting) and then the bulk discount rates are a joke. Last year I burned around 14,000 gallons of diesel. The bulk rate discount was LESS than the standard discount I would have received with my standard Maverick fuel card for my personal account, which isn't a bulk rate discount card/account.

It's massive rake-offs. Figure, 5 to 10 cents per gallon and over 10 cents per mile rake-off that should be passed on to the O/O and you'll see how big it gets quickly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Then there's "cost-plussing" or "jacking the discount" like Pilot got in deep poo poo over a year or two ago.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Then there's "cost-plussing" or "jacking the discount" like Pilot got in deep poo poo over a year or two ago.

Pretty much doing the same thing.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Being in TN I was hoping to see Haslam get more egg on his face from that one but what can I say, I guess it's lumped into my wishes for mermaids to be real.

Yeah some low level guys took the fall I guess.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

InterceptorV8 posted:

Look into Hotshotting if you live in Texas.

No CDL and you can haul rear end.

Still in Texas.

Most of the hotshot ads on Craigslist say not to apply if you don't own a low mileage late model truck or van, but doing a bit of googling shows a surprising number of courier/hot shot companies in the area that hire drivers with small cars. It's not low mileage (well, it is for its age - 2006, built in 2005, with 107k), but it's reliable, and looks a hell of a lot newer than it is (paint still shines, interior looks new aside from the drivers floormat, etc). It's mildly disturbing that half of the hotshot company web pages mention religion though, I definitely wouldn't be a good fit with those companies.

Not so sure I'd be a fan of being 1099 instead of an employee, I'd have to make sure I had all my ducks in a row for tax deductions. Luckily, my dad is a CPA, if I go that route.

It looks like there's plenty of companies hiring for Valentine's Day deliveries, that could put a few extra bucks in my pocket over a few days (a lot more than delivering pizza would anyway)

Thanks jerk, now I'm going to be up all night looking at non-CDL transportation jobs on Craigslist and Monster. :hf:

There's always Uber too, but that's a whole other can of worms, especially when it comes to insurance.

e: there's a job posting for picking up deceased pets. :staredog: I don't think I could handle that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 9, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

Eligibility:

Yeah from what I hear around here, that's pretty much industry standard, but it comes down to the contracts.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

quote:

Celadon is steeling itself for another legal battle after a judge ruled that the company had breached the terms of its agreement by failing to pass on fuel rebate savings to its drivers, effectively taking $3.8 million out of their pockets.

Like other large carriers, Celadon has a fuel rebate deal with Pilot Flying J which allows them to buy fuel at a discount. Celadon owner-operators purchase fuel from PFJ with their fuel cards, the money for which is later deducted from their paycheck. According to the lawsuit however, Celadon charges the drivers more per gallon than it actually pays to PFJ, netting them a nice profit. According to court documents, Celadon pays as much as 50 cents less per gallon to PFJ than is charged at the pump.

The judge ruled in favor of the two principal members of the class action suit that brought the case against the carrier, Charles Wilmoth and Kent Vassey, awarding the $3.8 million plus an additional $1.7 million in interest to all class members. Because the total amount of the ruling is over $5 million however, Celadon’s lawyers are petitioning to move the case to a federal court – which has jurisdiction over class-action cases when the damages amount to over $5 million.

In addition, Celadon is filing a counter-suit against Wilmoth and Vassey alleging that they defaulted on their contracts.

Carriers skimming money from their owner-operator’s fuel rebates is far from unheard of. In an interview with the Indianapolis Business Journal, an unnamed “veteran trucking-industry analyst” claimed that it’s standard industry practice for large carriers not to pass on all of their fuel rebate savings to their drivers.

If contract drivers don’t want to buy fuel through the company’s program, they don’t have to. In Celadon’s case, the program offered a 6-cent discount off the cash price for fuel in addition to the relative ease of accounting for the expense.

http://www.ibj.com/articles/51158-truckers-celadon-feuding-over-fuel

Just take them around back of the local TA and have them work it off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Right, its the old "buying from the company store" thing. Its a shady practice and I'm sure there's all kinds of legal gymnastics making it work. The company has a discount, the contractor does not. Should the contractor receive the discount as they are working on behalf of the company? I guess it comes down to the contracts between the owner operators and the company and the fuel provider. But then they can't turn around and whine about the industry having a shortage of drivers.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Totally TWISTED posted:

When did his brother the current Governor end his affiliation with PFJ? I'm guessing long before any of this current poo poo, and voters wouldn't give a drat, but a boy can dream.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

When did his brother the current Governor end his affiliation with PFJ? I'm guessing long before any of this current poo poo, and voters wouldn't give a drat, but a boy can dream.

Looks like 1999 but from this AP article

quote:

“We, as a company, look forward to putting this whole unfortunate episode behind us, continuing our efforts to rectify the damage done, regaining our customers’ trust and getting on with our business,” said CEO Jimmy Haslam, who says he was unaware of the scheme. “We’ve been committed from the beginning of this to doing the right thing, and that remains our commitment.”

Gov. Bill Haslam, his brother, holds an undisclosed ownership share in the company but has said he is not involved in Pilot’s day-to-day operations.

Not shady and totally believable of course.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Temperature swing from -25c to +10c in the last 24 hours.

I hate this slushy poo poo, so I'm going to Vancouver.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/_ILrqv4dbe0

You guys will LOVE this movie.

And I know you've seen it before, but it's always worth a watch.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH
I hope none of you were driving on I-84 east of Baker City today- holy poo poo. Can't believe this guy survived with literally only a scratch.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/01/interstate_84_semi-truck_crash_1.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

san_dingo posted:

I hope none of you were driving on I-84 east of Baker City today- holy poo poo. Can't believe this guy survived with literally only a scratch.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/01/interstate_84_semi-truck_crash_1.html

Thank goodness he wasn't driving a tiny sedan or import, it would've never stood up to those 'Murican Semis :smuggo:

.....oh, neither did the Silverado really. He was just damned lucky.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
He only survived because he poo poo 50lb.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
Welp guys, I hosed up.

As we speak, I am headed towards laredo texas, on a greyhound bus, to attend orintation for swift. I was told I could jump on board for flatbed headed out of laredo, but we all know how recruiters are.

Will keep you updated.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Watch out for those bridges, I guess:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So at the plaza at the end of my street there is usually a swift sleeper sitting there with a dollar general trailer.. it leaves for maybe a day or two but it sits there for a few days as well. There is also occasionally another unloaded swift sleeper there. I cant imagine:

1. Drivers are sleeping for multiple days in a strip mall parking lot
2. That its a good idea to store a truck and trailer (possibly with stuff in it) at a random plaza.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 20, 2015

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ApxVyskuI

Dude got air going over the median, good job!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's slippery as poo poo, let's park on the highway! yeah, get your camera out, this is gonna get so many likes.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

It's slippery as poo poo, let's park on the highway! yeah, get your camera out, this is gonna get so many likes.

Traffic up ahead was blocked by another jackknifed semi. Just saying...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Everyday Lurker posted:

Traffic up ahead was blocked by another jackknifed semi. Just saying...

at first. when he turns the camera around, there's nothing in front of him and he's still driving slowly on the highway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ApxVyskuI

Dude got air going over the median, good job!

Saved the cameramans life. Good show and decent recovery for bounding over the guardrail.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Way to get out and see if the guy is okay while you wait for traffic to clear. Driver took a guardrail to the face to save your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Way to get out and see if the guy is okay while you wait for traffic to clear. Driver took a guardrail to the face to save your rear end.

Anybody without flashing lights is doing more harm than good being on the road at that point. if he got out to do anything, he'd just be another obstacle.

What he should have done is put the loving camera down and get off the god drat road.

• Locked thread