Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I requested an invasion of the petty kingdom of some English duchy. I won the war handily but when it was over I only received York and he got to keep everything else. Is that intentional? I was quite sad I didn't conquer half of England in one fell swoop :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Guildencrantz posted:

Why do people say this? I've excommunicated a bunch of people in my last game (on hold due to levy bug). Admittedly it's unnecessarily harder than before and takes someone being a really huge rear end in a top hat, but it still happens.

I recently finished a game playing from the Charlemagne start right through til the end. I never once managed to get anyone excommunicated nor did I ever see an excommunication war. Maybe it's still possible in fringe cases but it's not something you can rely on to get anything done.

Volkerball posted:

Maybe if you're Catholic or Sunni, but even then I've never seen it result in anything big.

In the game mentioned above (starting as Pictland) I pretty much absorbed the Karlings into my dynasty through marriage, and also managed to marry a claim to the Byzantine Empire into my dynasty and successfully press it. I ended up with every single Christian kingdom, the entirety of mainland Europe except for a couple of pagan Kingdoms in the east, in my empire. Big enough for you?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 5, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ArgoATX posted:

Did the After the End mod ever get an update? I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of plays, but there's not even an official page as far as I ever figured :f5:

Further, was it made by the same guys responsible for the Hellmoo clone of the same name, or was that just a coincidence?

The Github link above is the thing to go for. There's a 'DOWNLOAD' button on the right-hand side, click that.

It was named after another mod of the same name, although I didn't realize it for some months after the fact until I bothered looking up Google results for "after the end ck2" and got a tad upset, but it was too late to change names then. I'd actually like to know more about the previous effort, because that was before my time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

He might not have been holy warring. He might have an actual claim on the location, giving him priority.

Nope - I was tracking the kings of both Italy and Aquitaine and got the pop-up telling me it was a Holy War.

ArgoATX
Dec 10, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

The Github link above is the thing to go for. There's a 'DOWNLOAD' button on the right-hand side, click that.

It was named after another mod of the same name, although I didn't realize it for some months after the fact until I bothered looking up Google results for "after the end ck2" and got a tad upset, but it was too late to change names then. I'd actually like to know more about the previous effort, because that was before my time.

The "After the End" I'm referring to was a branch off of HellMOO, a post-apoc MUDlike set on the West Coast.

I am getting a CTD when I push "start game" on the opening screen, any ideas?

Also thanks for the mod :3:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How quickly do you guys think we will see a patch to fix the levy bug once Paradox goes back to work tomorrow?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bold Robot posted:

How quickly do you guys think we will see a patch to fix the levy bug once Paradox goes back to work tomorrow?

A week, plus or minus two days.

Demiurge4 posted:

I requested an invasion of the petty kingdom of some English duchy. I won the war handily but when it was over I only received York and he got to keep everything else. Is that intentional? I was quite sad I didn't conquer half of England in one fell swoop :(

With the Invasion CB you get the primary title plus the county titles to all counties whose capitals you OCCUPY (that means you won a siege there) when the war ends.

Though... you got an invasion CB on a petty kingdom? :confused:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

With the Invasion CB you get the primary title plus the county titles to all counties whose capitals you OCCUPY (that means you won a siege there) when the war ends.

Don't you get the counties and all of their holdings as long as you sieged the capital holding?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Excelzior posted:

Don't you get the counties and all of their holdings as long as you sieged the capital holding?

Yes, that's correct. You have to have completed the siege, not simply be sieging it, when the enemy surrenders.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, I managed to get most of Wessex, pretty much by accident. That Fraticelli revolt I mentioned? That destroyed my army and forced me to white peace? Well, I had completely destroyed Wessex's army, and that let the heretics take over. However! This meant that I could swoop in with my still weak army and some mercenaries and take the entire duchy in one fell swoop. Thanks you filthy, heretic bastards! Now my big worry is Mercia/Pictland.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I just had to kill three generations of one family because they each despised their liege who was also my daughter and heir. Each one died in the same way. My daughter would innocently make each one "Keeper of the Swans" and I would in turn silently poison each one. Essentially, in less than a year, three generations of one noble family mysteriously died from poisoning shortly after receiving an honorary title from an eleven year old girl.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Just how useful are universities, and where should I build them? I've arrived in an era of usual peace and prosperity (60 gold/month give or take, and no enemies nearby can touch me) so I've been throwing them down around the place. The AI seems similarly enthusiastic: I keep going into the town to build one and finding one already under construction. Are they a good use of money? They don't seem to be doing much yet but it's a fairly recent development.

EDIT: seems to be a bug, but I've noticed that ever since I upgraded the hell out of my coastal defenses, the viking raiders have been moving into inland Spain. You know- where they can't get any money, and they're horribly outnumbered deep in enemy territory with no way of running back to their ships. Payback's a bitch.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 5, 2015

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the fucking POLICE right now!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Just how useful are universities, and where should I build them? I've arrived in an era of usual peace and prosperity (60 gold/month give or take, and no enemies nearby can touch me) so I've been throwing them down around the place. The AI seems similarly enthusiastic: I keep going into the town to build one and finding one already under construction. Are they a good use of money? They don't seem to be doing much yet but it's a fairly recent development.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you could spend the entire game ignoring technology (aside from investing in it when prompted) and your experience wouldn't be too much different than if you did everything possible to min-max your tech output. I'd prefer to invest in buildings that improve my tax, levies, or vassal shipyards so that I can load their entire levy in a single go.

If you are going to build them then stick to your own domain I guess. That way your tech will spread a little more quickly allowing you to build better infrastructure in your counties.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

They can be a pretty good investment, especially if you are an emperor and rule in one of the more advanced regions. The economic tech points really add up over time, and the higher technology spread is quite useful to make sure other provinces don't fall behind your capitals too much. How useful it is to build them in the territories of your vassals is another question. If you are already the strongest nation in the world it's not that important for your dukes and co. to get stronger, especially because they can be dangerous to you through factions. So throwing down universities in your own lands is always a good idea, but it's a low priority for the territories of your vassals.

KillingPablo posted:

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you could spend the entire game ignoring technology (aside from investing in it when prompted) and your experience wouldn't be too much different than if you did everything possible to min-max your tech output. I'd prefer to invest in buildings that improve my tax, levies, or vassal shipyards so that I can load their entire levy in a single go.

If you are going to build them then stick to your own domain I guess. That way your tech will spread a little more quickly allowing you to build better infrastructure in your counties.

I disagree. I had a test game as the Abbasid Caliph where I played his dynasty two times for 150 years each, once with military educated Ashari holy warriors, and once with mastermind theologian Mutazilites. I was noticeable ahead on tech and infrastructure in the latter game, and that was before Way of Life introduced the focus system and associated events that generate tech points. Of course you can ignore technology, but you miss out if you never try to focus on it. It also gives you great roleplaying potential. "All those unwashed Christian barbarians, Damascus is the true center of knowledge in the world!"

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
This goddamn game.

I started off as a custom character and Count of Nantes under King Karl. He was a gluttonous, slothful, envious, lustful, cynical, kin-slaying, depressed, content, stressed Possessed Lunatic, who could not count to 5 or realize that insulting a man was not good diplomacy and thought the best military strategy was to have all his archers on one flank holding fire. But goddammit he was the healthiest son of a bitch around. I took as many penalties as I could and pumped everything into health.

Now he is king of Brittany, England, and Wales. A Strong, diligent, humble, kind, temperate, patient, chaste, just, ambitious, brave, zealous, true Christian knight, who regularly goes out drinking with the Pope, his 5th genius wife and Emperor Karl the second at the ripe age of 99.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Torrannor posted:

CK2 is actually one of the few games where rape is an acceptable gameplay element. Because, as Volkerball said, making somebody a concubine is basically rape. And we all did it, either to get claims we can press for our sons, or to turn the heir of kingdom x into a good follower of Odin.

I do it just to humiliate my enemies. :black101:

but yeah, there's something to be said for the fact that values dissonance is the name of the game; aggression, murder (in particular infanticide), rape, genocide, all horrible things that one or two or three hundred years ago were just things that were considered to just have their own time and place are now considered basically the most horrific crimes imaginable

but you are an extremely creepy fucker that I don't want to talk to if your consideration of improving the game is why don't we make rape more explicit and freely available and unambiguously personal as a gameplay option

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's a concubine, in the context of the game?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

a character that lets you have children, but has no special rights; you can freely place her aside as you wish, and you won't create any alliances by taking a woman as your concubine

the latter difference isn't really that important since rulers will never allow their family members to be taken as concubines anyway, and if you manage to take a woman prisoner and force her into concubinage she and her family will hate you forever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

A mistress that can bear you legal children.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I do it just to humiliate my enemies. :black101:

but yeah, there's something to be said for the fact that values dissonance is the name of the game; aggression, murder (in particular infanticide), rape, genocide, all horrible things that one or two or three hundred years ago were just things that were considered to just have their own time and place are now considered basically the most horrific crimes imaginable

but you are an extremely creepy fucker that I don't want to talk to if your consideration of improving the game is why don't we make rape more explicit and freely available and unambiguously personal as a gameplay option

Agreed, I hope you didn't mean me with the last sentence, because I made clear that a rape expansion is unnecessary.

Kurtofan posted:

It depends. It can either be the daughter of a fellow pagan ruler, which you basically take as your second (third/fourth) wife, just with less protections but with equal rights for her children.

Or you viking raiders have captured the daughter of some lord, and she now is your prisoner. You can take her as your concubine as well. That's creepy enough, but she could even have been 3 years old at capture, languishing in your prison for 13 years until she was old enough to become your concubine. For the biggest wtf factor, you could even have educated her yourself, making you her foster father who's now forcing her to marry you.

And there is implied rape in normal marriages as well. No matter how much your wife hates you, she can still get pregnant.

In conclusion, it's better not to think too deeply about the game, unless you want to feel really horrible. After all, what happens with the uncivilized peasants that get replaced by cultured subjects from your home region in this one province culture change event?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I decided to take advantage of a lower crown authority revolt in England to swipe a city in York from the revolting faction. While fighting off the English army to ensure the revolt kept going, I managed to capture about half of the English court, including a prince who became king when his dad kicked the bucket. Now I've got the king of England sitting in my dungeon, but I'm not at war with him (just hostile since we're competing for the same turf); is there anything useful I can do with him besides ransoming him?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Torrannor posted:

After all, what happens with the uncivilized peasants that get replaced by cultured subjects from your home region in this one province culture change event?

I'm pretty sure that event is supposed to represent cultural assimilation, not genocide and replacement. Like, the local Greek peasants in Messina become Italian eventually just through cultural shift and melting pot.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Spakstik posted:

I decided to take advantage of a lower crown authority revolt in England to swipe a city in York from the revolting faction. While fighting off the English army to ensure the revolt kept going, I managed to capture about half of the English court, including a prince who became king when his dad kicked the bucket. Now I've got the king of England sitting in my dungeon, but I'm not at war with him (just hostile since we're competing for the same turf); is there anything useful I can do with him besides ransoming him?

take a trip to a greek culture place, convert to greek culture and then chop his nuts off imho.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Martello posted:

I'm pretty sure that event is supposed to represent cultural assimilation, not genocide and replacement. Like, the local Greek peasants in Messina become Italian eventually just through cultural shift and melting pot.
There's different contexts and for the most populous provinces its easily waved away as the cultural drift of or replacement of the small middle and upper class. Smaller populations have less wiggle room in how you might enact a cultural shift, and its best not to ask what "tribal resettling" entails.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

It depends. It can either be the daughter of a fellow pagan ruler, which you basically take as your second (third/fourth) wife, just with less protections but with equal rights for her children.

Or you viking raiders have captured the daughter of some lord, and she now is your prisoner. You can take her as your concubine as well. That's creepy enough, but she could even have been 3 years old at capture, languishing in your prison for 13 years until she was old enough to become your concubine. For the biggest wtf factor, you could even have educated her yourself, making you her foster father who's now forcing her to marry you.

It can be any female prisoner whatsoever. I was playing as Estonia once when some fuckers from the south rolled on up to raid and captured my wife, who the chief of Latvia immediately took as his concubine. You can assume what happened next.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Spakstik posted:

If you're Germanic religion, hold onto him then hold a blot when you can. If you're not, you can plot to kill him, or just toss him in the oubliette.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you're Germanic religion, hold onto him then hold a blot when you can. If you're not, you can plot to kill him, or just toss him in the oubliette.

Unfortunately I'm playing an Irish merchant republic, so sacrificing him wasn't an option. I ended up hanging onto him for a bit, then executing him and immediately declaring war on his heir (who had zero allies) so I could seize York.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Martello posted:

I think so too, but other times it's a little suspicious. In my Scandinavia game I overran England in a great holy war. 30 years later, the entire kingdom is Germanic, and half of it is norse. Combine that with England's levies dropping substantially because I'm a merchant republic, and it's like uhhhh what happened to everybody? :iiam:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I know I posted about this before, but the funniest cultural shift I ever saw was in my Empire of Sicilia game. I made a smart marriage to the queen of England and Jerusalem, and when the family finally took Jerusalem itself back from the Muslims a couple generations later, the entire Holy Land was Anglo-Saxon and Sunni. England itself was English at this point. Pretty funny that the last of the Anglo-Saxons were settlers in the Holy Land who converted to Islam to please their new overlords.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Volkerball posted:

I think so too, but other times it's a little suspicious. In my Scandinavia game I overran England in a great holy war. 30 years later, the entire kingdom is Germanic, and half of it is norse. Combine that with England's levies dropping substantially because I'm a merchant republic, and it's like uhhhh what happened to everybody? :iiam:

You can get an event if a county you own has both a different culture and religion than yours that basically says "Well, the locals hate my guts, time to bring over some men from the old country", and changes both its religion and culture to yours.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Broken Cog posted:

You can get an event if a county you own has both a different culture and religion than yours that basically says "Well, the locals hate my guts, time to bring over some men from the old country", and changes both its religion and culture to yours.

That's the one I meant. Some of the other events make it clear that the local populace is just adopting your customs, but that specific event makes it seem as if the new guys replace the old population, which goes... somewhere.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
While I'm not in any way doubting the existence of marital rape, especially back then, hate-sex can be consensual. Either in a "for the good of the realm / I want a kid even if I have to sleep with this monster to get one" way or even a "I hate him but he's hot and I'm horny and sleeping with anyone else would get me killed."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Torrannor posted:

That's the one I meant. Some of the other events make it clear that the local populace is just adopting your customs, but that specific event makes it seem as if the new guys replace the old population, which goes... somewhere.

They went to go live on a farm with all their other disenfranchised ethnic minority friends.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My heir is the Duke of Franconia (somehow), will I get his title if he inherits?

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
What exactly is the levy bug and why shouldn't I play while it's active

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

TheLoquid posted:

You know how you can't declare wars if you have any levies raised? The levy bug prevents the AI from disbanding its levies, which in turn stops it from declaring any wars.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I've picked back up playing this game after trying it out for some hours when I first got it. For this game I started in Ireland in 867. I have a couple questions about what's going on.

-I've been steadily working towards converting to feudalism, building the stone hillfort and such. I can convert now, but I don't actually know what benefits I would get from converting. I just assumed it would be a good thing to do. I guess my question is, why should someone convert and is there a good time to do it?

-I'm having trouble with money that I don't remember having in my first game. I control 2/3 of Ireland and could make the kingdom, but I don't have enough to afford the second duchy and then I would still need more to make Ireland. Is there anything I can do besides passively collecting taxes to gain money faster? I did the borrow from/evict the Jews trick already since I saw it in a tutorial video.

-I've also been wondering about being able to press someone else's claim in a war. It seems like if I win that person gains control of the land and I don't get anything from it. They don't become my vassal or anything. Under what circumstances would I want to go to war to pres someone else's claim?

-This final question has to do with waiting for my chancellor to fabricate claims. There have been times where I the main thing I'll be doing in-game is nothing, because I have nothing to do until my guy succeeds. Are there other things I should be doing to get claims?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TheLoquid posted:

Most of the time after fighting a war, the AI is unable to disband the levies it raised, meaning they just stick around, preventing that player from ever declaring another war, and tanking his opinion with whichever vassal(s) those levies belong to. Within a few years, most of the wars you'll be seeing will be either ones you start, or internal revolts as the aforementioned pissed off vassals break away from their liege. They will likely stay independent, too, even if they're an OPM in the heart of France that Charlemagne himself has a claim on because, once again, the vassal bug will prevent him from attacking and pressing it.

You can still play this game, I guess, but it's more or less like playing with cheats on.

Also, it...might be a while before this is fixed, since I think just the other day we had a dev here claiming he wasn't encountering the bug in his game. Make of that what you will.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 5, 2015

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Or you can just play without retinues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
One other thing about concubines is that if theyre nubile (which I believe the game construes as any fertility whatsoever) theyre worth .2 prestige people month.

Since you can have up to 3, this can get you an extra .6 prestige a month.

• Locked thread