Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Martytoof posted:

A dumb question, but I'm watching Into Darkness for the first time and either there's something really wrong with my TV or they made Kirk's lips super pink, bordering on purple. Is it just my TV? I can't seem to adjust it away.
Maybe you just suddenly find him super cute?

edit: Though I dont know how you wouldnt have seen it before :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is Say Anything... (1989) the oldest movie to feature a cell phone?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I assume we're disqualifying car phones? Wall Street (87) for sure at least has one cell phone.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

muscles like this? posted:

I liked the subplot of the entire world falling apart and Caiden doesn't notice because he's so far up his own rear end about his play.

That's a symbol of his decaying mental state not a subplot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I assume we're disqualifying car phones? Wall Street (87) for sure at least has one cell phone.

Earlier in the same year, Lethal Weapon had Danny Glover using a bag phone.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
James Bond uses a car phone in...Goldfinger, I think, but I don't know if that counts since they weren't actually around then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rochallor posted:

James Bond uses a car phone in...Goldfinger, I think, but I don't know if that counts since they weren't actually around then.

In 1954, the Bogart movie, Sabrina, shows Bogie using a car phone, but those were radio-based I believe.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Sunset Boulevard shows Norma using a car phone in her car from the late 20s. I know I read that Douglas Fairbanks was one of the first people to have a car phone IRL, but I have no idea where I saw that at.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah I gotta think car phones don't "count", you could easily go back to the 50's with car phones.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The first commercially available handheld cell phone was in 1984 so you're most likely not going to get older than that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think I remember one of the Jackie Chan films from the 80s featuring a cell phone. Maybe it was Dragons Forever?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Whoops, wrong thread

Star Man fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 29, 2014

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Is/was there a thread for The Imitation Game? Might have been a limited release, it totally flew under my radar and I didn't even know until after I saw it today that it's been out for about a month.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just rewatched "The Sweet Smell of Success". I remembered being disappointed by the ending and after seeing it again I realized that it was because I didn't know what the hell is going on in the final scene or why. I still don't think I get it, so someone please explain it to me.

At the end of the film, Falco has successfully framed the boyfriend of Hunsecker's sister. He does this presumably in exchange for Hunsecker allowing him to take over a column while he's away on vacation. Afterward, Falco is summoned to Hunsecker's apartment via a phone message, which he believes has been left by Hunsecker himself. When Falco gets there, the sister is alone and in despair over her boyfriend being arrested and threatens to kill herself and have Falco take the blame, insinuating that she made the phone call. She then tries to jump from the balcony but Falco stops her. Hunsecker shows up and slaps Falco around, accusing Falco of trying to put the moves on his sister. He says he didn't leave him any phone message and that he doesn't believe the suicide story. He then calls his cop buddy and tells him Falco framed the boyfriend, which leads to Falco getting beat up and arrested in the end. Meanwhile, the sister threatens to leave and Hunsecker tries to stop her, telling her she needs a shrink instead because she tried to kill herself. She leaves anyway, roll credits.

I've tried to wrap my head around this sequence and it doesn't seem to make sense. If the sister made the phone call, then Hunsecker turning on Falco only makes sense if he really did think Falco was trying to put the moves with his sister. But he then tells his sister that he knows she's tried to kill herself, which backs up Falco's story. So why lose his poo poo on him, especially when he saved her from jumping? Because he didn't want Falco to think he believed him about the suicide attempt (hence why he only admitted it to his sister once Falco left) it makes me think Hunsecker's whole outrage bit was just a charade for Falco. If that is the case, then it was his plan to set up Falco before he even entered the apartment, and maybe even Hunsecker did make the phone call, but why? Falco did everything asked of him, and it was clear Hunsecker hates the boyfriend, so why let him off the hook just to burn Falco? That last bit only makes sense if he really was spontaneously outraged at Falco and didn't believe the suicide story.

The only possible explanation that makes sense to me is that Hunsecker wanted Falco out of the picture so that he wouldn't have to give him a column and the whole outrage bit was the pretense he needed. He made the call, knowing his sister was home and suicidal, and set the whole thing up. The movie doesn't fully support this, because the sister heavily implies that she made the call and Falco believes it because after everything goes to poo poo, he says "you're growing up fast, kid" to her. But even if Hunsecker set it up, it still doesn't seem very plausible that someone as powerful as him would have to do some complex setup just to brush off a gnat like Falco. He could just tell him to gently caress off and die and that would be that.

That's a mouthful. Someone help me out here.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Finally got around to watching Synecdoche, New York.

So uhhhh....... :psyduck:

The only thing about Synecdoche, NY that I could stand was the basic Magical Realism-ness of the movie world. I dig the idea of the house that's always burning down or the warehouse in NY that houses all of NY inside of it (including another warehouse that features all of NY within that). Tom Noonan was also pretty cool to see. I just really loving hated the rest of the movie and everything about it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

I just rewatched "The Sweet Smell of Success". I remembered being disappointed by the ending and after seeing it again I realized that it was because I didn't know what the hell is going on in the final scene or why. I still don't think I get it, so someone please explain it to me.

The ending is weak, as it's Hayes Code tradition so everything always feels rushed and neat by the end of these films.

It's been awhile since I watched it, but Susie sets it all up so she can get revenge on her brother and Sydney. She makes the phone call, and arranges a situation so Sydney ends up in a compromising position in view of her brother. They end up turning on each other then, Sydney in desperation bites the hand that feeds him by telling the truth, and Hunsecker by devolving into pettiness by having Sydney fired, beaten, and kicked out. His sweet talk and concern about his sister mind no longer works as she has seen the real Hunsecker, and ends up leaving him.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

How is Michael Manns later stuff? I really enjoy his earlier work (cinematography and score in particular).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

How is Michael Manns later stuff? I really enjoy his earlier work (cinematography and score in particular).

Collateral's really good if that counts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yaws posted:

As a whole Miami Vice doesn't really work, but the cinematography is pretty baller and the score fits the film..

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Miami Vice loving rules.

http://sensesofcinema.com/2007/feature-articles/miami-vice/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I like Michael Mann, but any piece of writing that refers to him as "the greatest contemporary American filmmaker" is obviously being a bit hyperbolic in it's praises.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Skwirl posted:

I like Michael Mann, but any piece of writing that refers to him as "the greatest contemporary American filmmaker" is obviously being a bit hyperbolic in it's praises.

Paging Kull the Conqueror.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

As a whole Miami Vice doesn't really work, but the cinematography is pretty baller and the score fits the film..

I saw Miami Vice in theaters, and I don't know about the flaws, I'm sure there were plenty, but it's a very engrossing film that is visually striking. It's also super nihilistic, if I remember. I really should watch it again...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It takes itself so seriously that I actually forgot that the television show was also created by Michael Mann.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

It takes itself so seriously that I actually forgot that the television show was also created by Michael Mann.

Well, he was an executive producer...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

The first two seasons are surprisingly more serious than people would think. It's still through the filter of MTV Cops, but there's a lot going on there that doesn't end happily for anyone. I think even in the pilot the bad guy gets away.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The good episodes of Miami Vice the series are right up there with Thief and Heat.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

The good episodes of Miami Vice the series are right up there with Thief and Heat.

i feel like Thief is way, way better than Heat but what are some of these episodes?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

penismightier posted:

I'd be interested in these episodes as well. I just watched Thief and thought it was stellar.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

Does that count as a "theatrical showing" though? It's not like the box office is going up every time its shown.

Why wouldn't it count? They are selling tickets to show the film in a theatre

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i feel like Thief is way, way better than Heat but what are some of these episodes?

No Exit, One Eyed Jack, Give a Little Take a Little, Rites of Passage
The first on that list guest stars Bruce Willis, and the last has Pam Grier. I haven't seen the later seasons, but apparently one episode has Liam Neeson as a former IRA soldier and another has Willie Nelson as a Texas Ranger.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Skwirl posted:

No Exit, One Eyed Jack, Give a Little Take a Little, Rites of Passage
The first on that list guest stars Bruce Willis, and the last has Pam Grier. I haven't seen the later seasons, but apparently one episode has Liam Neeson as a former IRA soldier and another has Willie Nelson as a Texas Ranger.

I think you can pick a lot of Season 1 and 2 and it'll fit the bill. Later on the show became a bit of a joke, but those first 2 are pretty stellar.

Though, the real goods are in Crime Story. Mann was a lot more heavily involved in that one and it shows.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Public Enemies has one really neat scene (the cabin raid) but is sadly kind of forgettable otherwise.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'd be interested in these episodes as well. I just watched Thief and thought it was stellar.

The pilot, Smuggler's Blues, and Bushido spring to mind.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
My wife and I were having a discussion the other day, and neither of us could come up with an answer. We were wondering why Boba Fett was seen as such a cool character in the movies? Ok, yeah, there's all the 'cool' stuff he does in the EU books, but he doesn't do a drat thing in the movies that anybody else could have done.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Look at him. He looks cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Look at him. He looks cool.

he does look cool, doesn't he?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CzarChasm posted:

My wife and I were having a discussion the other day, and neither of us could come up with an answer. We were wondering why Boba Fett was seen as such a cool character in the movies? Ok, yeah, there's all the 'cool' stuff he does in the EU books, but he doesn't do a drat thing in the movies that anybody else could have done.

Jet pack.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He was the coolest toy, too. If not for the toy, I wouldn't have known him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CzarChasm posted:

He looks awesome. He has a great design and cool gadgets.