Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

univbee posted:

well poo poo, now you made me remember that someone on their forums was legit-asking for authenticity in their piracy and have the ability to rape the crew of the ship they took over :suicide:
all gamers are poo poo wrt rape Tabletop Roleplaying Open > [hear me out!] Why the big fuss about rape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
game devs, gamers confirm: rape "not actually such a big deal"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

this is the ff13 chocobo song btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDwAN90MKTo

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i think if they removed the auto battle button ff13 would be a lot less mind numbingly boring

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

i played ff13 when i was in a v bad place in my life. i do not recommend others follow in my footsteps

true gamers dont let their gaming sesh's be influenced by outside forces

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Widdiful posted:

i think if they removed the auto battle button ff13 would be a lot less mind numbingly boring

yes and no. the paradigm system was good and if you didnt sperg out and min/max your team you had plenty to do with paradigm swaps in the middle of battles. i actually do like the battle system quite a bit, its just that the game is so loving bad outside of it

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
and long. dont forget long

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

wesley snypes posted:

and long. dont forget long

long games are good tho if theyre actually good and fun throughout

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Widdiful posted:

long games are good tho if theyre actually good and fun throughout

some games can burn out even if the core gameplay is solid. i wouldnt want to play portal for 50 hours, for example

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Notorious QIG posted:

this is the ff13 chocobo song btw

ff13-2's chocobo song is still hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

ha ha jesus

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
the best games are ones with mechanics that are so fun you can play through as many times as you like and still enjoy it, instead of having poo poo all padded out

eg: dark souls 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Notorious QIG posted:

some games can burn out even if the core gameplay is solid. i wouldnt want to play portal for 50 hours, for example

okami

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

wesley snypes posted:

the best games are ones with mechanics that are so fun you can play through as many times as you like and still enjoy it, instead of having poo poo all padded out

eg: dark souls 2

or crypt of the necrodancer

i wish i had someone on my steam list that also did necrodancer daily challenges so i could have a rival :smith:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
if any of you hadnt heard, the STALKER dev studio GSC is back. apparently the problem with stalker 2 was that they got ambitious and it would've taken so long to make that it would've been outdated by the time it was finally released

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yeah thats a good example. okami owns but goddamn does it go on forever

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dj Meow Mix posted:

:rock:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

true gamers dont let their gaming sesh's be influenced by outside forces

i see why people were mad about it when it came out, these selfsame people would turn around and say that square enix should have just made a retro turn based game but pretty
its been five years and a lot of people still dont realize that its exactly a turn based final fantasy but pretty, the illusion of choice just wasnt as well supported
normally you can wander anywhere you want but its a complete waste of time because you have to talk to whatever npc a straight line away anyway, in ffxiii you just run straight to the npc

Liver Disaster fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 5, 2015

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the problem isnt even that the game is linear because ffs most jrpgs are super linear its that it doesnt even give an illusion of openness until you hit gran pulse. all of the levels before then are literally straight lines just with different wallpaper

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

• 97% male
  • feature nudity
pls do this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
sqenix did put out a retro rpg, bravely default

it sold pretty well

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Liver Disaster posted:

i see why people were mad about it when it came out, these selfsame people would turn around and say that square enix should have just made a retro turn based game but pretty
its been five years and a lot of people still dont realize that its exactly a turn based final fantasy but pretty, the illusion of choice just wasnt as well supported
normally you can wander anywhere you want but its a complete waste of time because you have to talk to whatever npc a straight line away anyway, in ffxiii you just run straight to the npc

that may be true but the result is you just hold down forwards and hit autobattle for 50 hours while listening to horrible dialog

i hate that game so much, gently caress final fantasy

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Jonad posted:

i think i might be tired of video games
i'm just so tired of all these god of wars

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Notorious QIG posted:

the problem isnt even that the game is linear because ffs most jrpgs are super linear its that it doesnt even give an illusion of openness until you hit gran pulse. all of the levels before then are literally straight lines just with different wallpaper

so your saying that you like the other wallpaper better?

its monday morning im just arguing for the sake of it i stopped playing ffxiii when i ran into a group that i had to beat that did nothing but heal and buff eachother until they one shotted my team and it stopped being fun

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Notorious QIG posted:

also problems:
the story
the character
the battle system being locked away and only v e r y g r a d u a l l y unlocked through 15 hours of tutorial

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the big reveal in lightning returns is that serah was never actually real i guess? but a surpressed version of her interior "weak" emotions that somehow came to life, so i guess the final fantasy was that serah existed but then she exists?

but then serah comes back to life? and then lightning wakes up in france?

i beat lightning returns and i'm a big dumb idiot and will probably play ng+

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Dj Meow Mix posted:

:vince:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Liver Disaster posted:

its monday morning im just arguing for the sake of it i stopped playing ffxiii when i ran into a group that i had to beat that did nothing but heal and buff eachother until they one shotted my team and it stopped being fun

having something that at least appears to be open goes a long way, yeah

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Liver Disaster posted:

compare to ff7: also has a linear as gently caress multi-hour tutorial sequence but once you leave the city the game :quote:opens up:quote: and you have a big world to explore and a couple of different directions to go in. yeah you still need to talk to person a to unlock plot event b but at least theres side quests and distractions and such

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

wesley snypes posted:

if any of you hadnt heard, the STALKER dev studio GSC is back. apparently the problem with stalker 2 was that they got ambitious and it would've taken so long to make that it would've been outdated by the time it was finally released

so the same as stalker 1

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

this was good though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itYR_y6QrU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i kept waiting for "moms are tough" to get paid off with a reveal that she didn't actually die at the beginning and for her to save the party at some point at the end

but nope. they just put a "moms are tough" on the mantlepiece in act i and never had it go off

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

once i beat ffxiv:arr ill probably go back and beat the 13 series because last time i took a break from 13 i pushed through like 70% of it on my second run
with any luck XV will come out by then and ill just play brotrip

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hubris.height posted:

the big reveal in lightning returns is that serah was never actually real i guess? but a surpressed version of her interior "weak" emotions that somehow came to life, so i guess the final fantasy was that serah existed but then she exists?

lightning returns owns partly because the plot is loving insane

WE'LL KILL YOU WITH THE POWER OF LOVE, shouts a crazy woman who then just stabs god with her sword anyway

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://www.instant.ly/report/54a985dde4b0cea5d72c8c2a
reddit star citizen survey of 2988 people, some observations:
  • 97% male and almost as many people specified a joke gender as female
  • 15% have spent $1000-9999 on star citizen
  • 5% of that group did so while making <$10k/year
  • 59% want it to feature nudity for some reason
  • 41% have "complete" confidence it will be a great game on release, 49% have "high" confidence
:eyepop:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

hubris.height posted:

so wait serah is tidus?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

if i had gotten into ffxiv a year ago i could have done this

which would have been fine too

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Kuvo posted:

so wait serah is tidus?

holy poo poo

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kuvo posted:

so wait serah is tidus?

well lightning is girlcloud so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

lightning returns owns partly because the plot is loving insane

WE'LL KILL YOU WITH THE POWER OF LOVE, shouts a crazy woman who then just stabs god with her sword anyway

shouting "god is dead" during the final boss fight forced me to pause the game while i laughed

• Locked thread